DC5 Brembo - Club RSX Message Board
Go Back   Club RSX Message Board > SUSPENSION > Suspension, Chassis & Brakes
Use the same user name on Club RSX, Club EP3, and Club ILX!

Old 12-04-2012, 09:00 PM   #1
Furbyj1

Furbyj1 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Furbyj1 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Furbyj1 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Furbyj1 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Furbyj1 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Furbyj1 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Furbyj1 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Furbyj1 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
DC5 Brembo

Hey guys, I just wana clear up some info. I might need some help to make sure its all correct

So I want to do the dc5 brembo swap and I've done some research and It's alot smarter to get USDM type-s knuckles with s2k rotors.. so I got that down.. BUT..

nobody has clarified exactly wut year knuckles can be used.. I havent found it and i've searched

aside from that... I'm not sure but it seems to me that all rsx
02-04 base & type s
05-06 base and type s
along with the 04-05 ep3

all have the same rear caliper... If anybody knows any differences ie; the psi on type-s is stronger than base model or wutever the case may be.. please verify once and for all.

and maybe we can make this thread a sticky so everyone will be able to know all the interchangeable calipers/rotors/knuckles

also what are the differences between the 5 lug ep3 and a 5 lug rsx's? I think they are all the same with the exception of the DC5-R and type-s use different axles
Furbyj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2012, 09:08 PM   #2
Waleed786

Waleed786 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Waleed786 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Waleed786 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Waleed786 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Waleed786 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Waleed786 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Waleed786 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Waleed786 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
All dc5 rear calipers and rotors are the same, even the type r. And it is not "smarter" to put the brembo calipers with s2k rotors on type-s knuckles (you can use any year type-s knuckles btw). It's just cheaper. The better method would be to do it the way it's intended to be, by swapping over the complete assembly.

Edit: Rear calipers are the same meaning the parts all interchangeable, and they perform the same.

Last edited by Waleed786; 12-04-2012 at 09:25 PM..
Waleed786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:23 PM   #3
Furbyj1

Furbyj1 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Furbyj1 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Furbyj1 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Furbyj1 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Furbyj1 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Furbyj1 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Furbyj1 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Furbyj1 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
yea the reason i said its smarter is becuz its just alot easier to get ahold of s2k rotors over type-r rotors

u can't walk into any autozone and get type-r rotors

but yea I'm gona go with the full type-r swap to be on the safe side just wanted to confirm the differences

thanks waleed786

Old 12-12-2012, 01:34 PM   #4
krnseoulja

krnseoulja is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waleed786 View Post
All dc5 rear calipers and rotors are the same, even the type r. And it is not "smarter" to put the brembo calipers with s2k rotors on type-s knuckles (you can use any year type-s knuckles btw). It's just cheaper. The better method would be to do it the way it's intended to be, by swapping over the complete assembly.

Edit: Rear calipers are the same meaning the parts all interchangeable, and they perform the same.
no they are not the same, the dc5-r rear rotors are pushed out +15mm more then the usdm type s and the dc5-r rear caliper's pistons are bigger and hold more fluid. Also the dc5-r uses a different proportional valve.

Last edited by krnseoulja; 12-12-2012 at 01:37 PM..
krnseoulja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 01:22 AM   #5
Dpacro1
Banned

Dpacro1 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Dpacro1 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Dpacro1 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Dpacro1 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Dpacro1 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Dpacro1 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Dpacro1 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Dpacro1 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
I have tons of dc5r conversion in my hand and i have like 30 sets of dc5r knuckles here and i can tell you that front knuckle have around 10mm more offset to allow the stock oem honda rotors (dc5r/type-s ) to align in the middle of the brembo calipers but if you use ANY 5lugs honda knuckles with a s2k rotors it will align just fine. Even on EP3 DC2 CTR Prelude

for the rear the calipers is a little bigger than any type-s / ep3 / dc2 / ctr and its made in aluminum.

it will bolt on and work on any rear 5 lugs knuckle with oem rotor .. rsx base type-s civic eg ek dc2 integra prelude etc etc and so on ...

the only difference with the dc5R is the rear hub , it has around 15mm more offset so if you swith to dc5r rear knuckle you will need dc5r rotors as well.

If you need i can bring some pictures ...

Last edited by Dpacro1; 12-17-2012 at 04:08 AM..
Dpacro1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:17 PM   #6
Furbyj1

thanks for the input man!! this is alot of good info
Old 12-17-2012, 08:25 PM   #7
NinetySixYenko
The CRSX Philosopher

NinetySixYenko is on a distinguished road NinetySixYenko is on a distinguished road
woah, they work on preludes too? interesting news
04 RX-8
03 RSX-S
NinetySixYenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:05 PM   #8
Dpacro1
Banned

Dpacro1 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Dpacro1 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Dpacro1 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Dpacro1 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Dpacro1 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Dpacro1 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Dpacro1 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Dpacro1 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
yes rear are bolton only need to swap the ebrake hookup.

front will bolton and will work with the s2k rotors but you need the get the hub of a rsx pressed in the prelude knuckle to fit the s2k rotors or have the prelude hub machine down a bit.
same as dc2 36mm 32mm is an other story
Dpacro1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:06 PM   #9
NinetySixYenko
The CRSX Philosopher

NinetySixYenko is on a distinguished road NinetySixYenko is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpacro1 View Post
yes rear are bolton only need to swap the ebrake hookup.

front will bolton and will work with the s2k rotors but you need the get the hub of a rsx pressed in the prelude knuckle to fit the s2k rotors or have the prelude hub machine down a bit.
same as dc2 36mm 32mm is an other story

04 RX-8
03 RSX-S
NinetySixYenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 07:07 PM   #10
mntreal

mntreal is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mntreal is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mntreal is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mntreal is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mntreal is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mntreal is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mntreal is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mntreal is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
I'm so confused. Please help.

I'm new to this. Not sure how this hole forum thing works. I know its been over a year since the last post and one of you will have something to say but I'm soooo confused right now that I am taking that risk.

In the past when I had any car questions I would turn to the internet for my answers. Most of the time I can figure stuff out for myself. Not this time.

I just left a deposit on a 2003 RSX TypeS. I'm getting it next week. Low millage and I'm getting it for a steal. I took it for a mechanical inspection and I was told that the camber was off on the left rear and would cost about $500 to fix. My mechanic told me to look for a used trailing arm and knuckle and that would fix the problem. Turns out they are impossible to find. So I did a little research and just picked up DC5R rear brake conversion (left and right) for $350. It included trailing arms, knuckles, rotors(need to be replaced) with the calipers and pads. There is a lot of info on here about the front conversion but little about the rear and it seems to contradicts itself. So if you have done this before or know any of this, here are my questions.

1. When replacing the rear disc (DC5R) do I have to use type r ones? I know the part # is 42510-S6M-J50 but when I tried to cross refrence it, it doesn't seem to match up with anything. The guy who I bought them from said I could use TSX rotors. I'm having a hard time believing that because of the offset.

2. If I understand correctly I can not put stock TypeS rotors on the DC5R rear hub because of the offset right?

3. Will my parking brake still work or do I need other parts?

Basically I need to change my knuckle and trailing arm on the car to fix the original problem. I could care less if I have the brembo brakes on my car but needed these parts to fix it. I really hope I can replace the disc with another OEM Honda/Acura part. The TypeS pads will work I just need to find rotors.

Once again I am sorry for bringing an old post alive but I'm so frustrated and confused. I really need your help. Thank you.
mntreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 09:21 PM   #11
Furbyj1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mntreal View Post
I'm new to this. Not sure how this hole forum thing works. I know its been over a year since the last post and one of you will have something to say but I'm soooo confused right now that I am taking that risk.

In the past when I had any car questions I would turn to the internet for my answers. Most of the time I can figure stuff out for myself. Not this time.

I just left a deposit on a 2003 RSX TypeS. I'm getting it next week. Low millage and I'm getting it for a steal. I took it for a mechanical inspection and I was told that the camber was off on the left rear and would cost about $500 to fix. My mechanic told me to look for a used trailing arm and knuckle and that would fix the problem. Turns out they are impossible to find. So I did a little research and just picked up DC5R rear brake conversion (left and right) for $350. It included trailing arms, knuckles, rotors(need to be replaced) with the calipers and pads. There is a lot of info on here about the front conversion but little about the rear and it seems to contradicts itself. So if you have done this before or know any of this, here are my questions.

1. When replacing the rear disc (DC5R) do I have to use type r ones? I know the part # is 42510-S6M-J50 but when I tried to cross refrence it, it doesn't seem to match up with anything. The guy who I bought them from said I could use TSX rotors. I'm having a hard time believing that because of the offset.

2. If I understand correctly I can not put stock TypeS rotors on the DC5R rear hub because of the offset right?

3. Will my parking brake still work or do I need other parts?

Basically I need to change my knuckle and trailing arm on the car to fix the original problem. I could care less if I have the brembo brakes on my car but needed these parts to fix it. I really hope I can replace the disc with another OEM Honda/Acura part. The TypeS pads will work I just need to find rotors.

Once again I am sorry for bringing an old post alive but I'm so frustrated and confused. I really need your help. Thank you.

Its cool man, at least u didn't make a new thread!

question 1: yes, if you are using the DC5r rear hubs you have to use the the DC5r rotors because of the offset. Keep in mind that the DC5r calipers will bolt up to stock type-s and base models with everything stock. so the calipers are interchangeable!

question 2: correct you cannot use type-s rotors on the rear DC5r hubs because of the offset.

question 3: and yes your parking brake will work just fine, all you have to do is hook up the e-brake cables when you re-install the brake/suspension parts. it should hook up exactly the same. there are no changes in any rsx with the e-brake cables, so they're all the same.
Old 12-20-2013, 08:57 AM   #12
mntreal

mntreal is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mntreal is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mntreal is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mntreal is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mntreal is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mntreal is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mntreal is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mntreal is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Furbyj1 View Post
Its cool man, at least u didn't make a new thread!

question 1: yes, if you are using the DC5r rear hubs you have to use the the DC5r rotors because of the offset. Keep in mind that the DC5r calipers will bolt up to stock type-s and base models with everything stock. so the calipers are interchangeable!

question 2: correct you cannot use type-s rotors on the rear DC5r hubs because of the offset.

question 3: and yes your parking brake will work just fine, all you have to do is hook up the e-brake cables when you re-install the brake/suspension parts. it should hook up exactly the same. there are no changes in any rsx with the e-brake cables, so they're all the same.
Ok , I have a couple more questions then I think I've got this. This is going to sound stupid lol. Is the rear hub the same as the knuckle? Remember I need to change the trailling arm and hub. If it is not the same, can I use the TYPE R trailing arm with the TYPE R knuckle and use the TYPE S hub? Now let's assume I have to use everything from the TYPE R, where can I get replacement disc for the rear? And last I have read about people needing to use a bracket or something from the TYPE R for the e brake to work. From what you said there is no truth to this. Thanks again.
Old 12-20-2013, 10:24 AM   #13
mntreal

Ok. I have answered part of my question. The hub is attached to the knuckle. It looks like I have to use all the TYPE R brake components. Since the offset is different, can I use a 15 mm spacer with a TYPE S rear disc? I'm asking this because if I can not find the rear disc for the TYPE R then what do I do?
Old 12-20-2013, 02:58 PM   #14
Furbyj1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mntreal View Post
Ok. I have answered part of my question. The hub is attached to the knuckle. It looks like I have to use all the TYPE R brake components. Since the offset is different, can I use a 15 mm spacer with a TYPE S rear disc? I'm asking this because if I can not find the rear disc for the TYPE R then what do I do?
yes the hub/knuckle is one piece, its the piece that houses the wheel bearing along with the wheel studs and the three bushings that attach to the trailing arm.

I'm not sure if you can use a 15mm spacer with the type-s rear disc. either way you would only use a spacer for clearance issues or some kind of stance u are trying to achieve.

as stated before u DONT have to use all of the type-r components. just swap the caliper and keep everything else type-s or base model. if u wish to keep everything type-r u will have a very hard time looking for the type-r rotors as they are only sold online and are very expensive.
Old 12-20-2013, 11:29 PM   #15
mntreal

Thanks for all your help. I have to use the knuckle from the TYPE R to fix my original problem. Soooo I guess I have to find a solution for the disk. Maybe I will try the trailing arm from the TYPE R with the knuckle from the TYPE S. Not sure if they are compatible together but at least that way I can use TYPE S rear disc. I'm taking a gamble by doing this. My theory behind this is, I am having a hard time believing that the knuckle is what is causing the camber to be off. If I'm not mistaken the knuckle is cast iron. The previous owner would have had to wack it pretty hard to damage the knuckle. I will be doing the work in early January. I will be sure to let you know how it goes. Thanks again.
Old 01-08-2014, 03:42 PM   #16
mage182

mage182 is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Just order front and rear rotors from Lings Honda Parts. I've ordered my last two sets there and received them no problem.

You can also find sets of rotors and pads on ebay from time to time. But I don't like using the OEM Brembo brake pads because they throw off an insane amount of brake dust.
mage182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 10:06 PM   #17
Expunged

Expunged is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Expunged is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Expunged is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Expunged is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Expunged is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Expunged is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Expunged is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Expunged is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Are the proportioning valves the same?
Old 01-09-2014, 07:55 AM   #18
mage182

mage182 is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Expunged View Post
Are the proportioning valves the same?
The stock prop valve should be fine. It's what I've been using for 3 years without any problems. I have an EP3 so I upgraded my BMC from 3/4" to a 15/16" from an RSX-S.
mage182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 07:52 PM   #19
mntreal

First off i want to thank everyone for all the help and feed back. I ended up finding a used control arm and knuckle on eBay. Fast shiping and the parts where in great shape. As I mentioned earlier, keeping it stock was just easier. I'm not using it on the track. Just a daily driver. I jumped the gun and got the type r parts before I did all my research. My wife will not let me forget about that but I've already forgiven myself lol. I guess I'll just try to sell the rear set up and chalk it up as a $350 life leason . Once again thanks for all the help.
Old 03-14-2014, 01:54 PM   #20
mntreal

So as I indicated already, I bought a DC5 rear brake kit and control arm with the knuckle. I never used the kit as intended but it just so happens that I had a rear caliper that was dragging on my 2003 Acura Type S and it needed to be changed. At first my initial thought was to go grab a rebuilt caliper and throw it on to solve the problem. After I was told that it was $100 for the caliper (rebuillt) I got thinking. Why not just use the calipers of the JDM Type R conversion that I had sitting at home? I'm only writing this because there is still conflicting information on this forum of weather it works or not. Let me be %100 clear when I say this, IT WORKS BOLT ON!!!
All I did was use the rear caliper brackets off of my stock Type S and bolt on to the larger JDM Type R rear calipers. That's it , that's all. People are mentioning rear spacers or problems with clearance. No such issues. I'm on winter tires with 16" steelies. Also people said that there would be a problem with the handbrake cable. Not true. EVERITHING goes back on without any modifications. Once again I would like to thank everyone who commented above.
Old 02-14-2019, 02:46 AM   #21
Jaja’srsx

Jaja’srsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Jaja’srsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Jaja’srsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Jaja’srsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Jaja’srsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Jaja’srsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Jaja’srsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Jaja’srsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Thus this work on base model as well? Do i have to change the brake master cylinder?
Jaja’srsx is offline   Reply With Quote