Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

Converting the RSX to RWD.

35K views 152 replies 23 participants last post by  JUANonJUAN 
#1 · (Edited)
Well, first of all i wanted to know if this has already been done on an RSX? i know there has been a bunch of talk about awd this, rwd that... We know there is at least one AWD rsx... and it's turbo at that. With that being said, I am to the point where i either quit and part out the car all together ... or make it RWD with an automatic transmission, ford 8.8 rear end and all that jazz.
I have a friend who owns a shop locally and he has been telling me that he is down to tackle this project if i had the balls to get it started... so here i am. I started doing my research.. and found out that there is someone who already has made a plate so that you can bolt up the transmission to the engine. He also made an adapter for the starter and for the flex plate. This custom plate will allow me to run a GM th400, th350 or a power glide (ding ding ding) with any converter made for those transmission, so that's a huge help... and i don't have to try to figure out how to sort that out. So with that being said, i have a lot to research and figure out to do. Looks like other people who have done this type of conversion on hondas, have relocated the steering rack and used a ford rack.
The plan for the rear would most likely be a built 8.8 with ladder bars.
Any input, information, help, constructive criticism is appreciated.
I am going to attempt it at least... as i am officially tired of the FWD game.

A couple of side notes that will hopefully save a lot of pointless replies:
*Yes i am aware that the car will not be that streetable if any at all.
*Yes i am aware that i will have to cut the car up.
*Yes i am aware that it will be a long and aggravating project.
*Yes i am aware that most of this will be custom work.
*Yes i am aware that it will be pretty expensive.
*Yes i am aware that making it AWD would be easier than rwd.

See less See more
#4 ·
Dude its gonna be 80% fab work... you know custom subframe... I would go with a ford rack with an adapter from our steering wheel... I can be mounted any config since it a custom sub.... cut that wall and make room... glide is not much different from a turbo 400 and custom shaft easy....

Easy rear suspension wheel set up since solid axle just a custom mounting job.... you got this bro give it hell.

Let me know if you need anything I am in this bitch... we got people here for all that shit so if you ever need to bring the car here for some work lmk.

I am stoked.

#6 ·
Thank you man. I want the power glide because it's always faster in the quarter mile. It is also quite a bit lighter AND and takes less HP to turn it. I'm pretty dead set on the power glide.
I don't mind the custom k-member. I've wanted to get one for the longest time ever lol.. i hate the stock k-member...
I will definitely get with you about the rear end and what not, all this is new to me so i gotta research and learn a lot.

#10 ·
That's a good idea. Thanks for the input man. I'll research that a little bit.
So did I read that correctly, you want to make it RWD but keep the K?

If so, why? Why not just run a J V6 or step it up to a V8 of some variation?
I rather keep my engine which is running really good. It makes decent power and has a good amount left in it too.. i just need a slightly bigger turbo. It'll be easier to keep it k20... all the wiring, ECU etc wouldn't be another nightmare to figure out.

#13 ·
I don't think a CRV is going to have anything to offer as far as RWD since it is AWD and it has the stupid rear subframe which is more set up for a IRS......

Which brings us you another question..... why not a IRS from a cobra..... they are not expensive and then the only thing you would haev to worry is fuel cell mounting the diff and the knuckles but I am sure you can get some custom Brembo link brakes/suspension in the back.

Solid rear would be stronger but I think i little mounting unfriendly....
Well You will be doing a big amount of work so I say get the CRV rear suspension set up and have the knuckles redrilled for Cobra bearings/outter spline then have a company match you a CV shaft for your length, inners don't matter and you are ready to go!!! :thumbsup:

Stay with a K for sure.
BTW my source said stock rack I guess the way the trans was positioned it cleared I am gonna see if i can get some pics.

#15 ·
I don't think a CRV is going to have anything to offer as far as RWD since it is AWD and it has the stupid rear subframe which is more set up for a IRS......

Which brings us you another question..... why not a IRS from a cobra..... they are not expensive and then the only thing you would haev to worry is fuel cell mounting the diff and the knuckles but I am sure you can get some custom Brembo link brakes/suspension in the back.

Solid rear would be stronger but I think i little mounting unfriendly....
Well You will be doing a big amount of work so I say get the CRV rear suspension set up and have the knuckles redrilled for Cobra bearings/outter spline then have a company match you a CV shaft for your length, inners don't matter and you are ready to go!!! :thumbsup:

Stay with a K for sure.
BTW my source said stock rack I guess the way the trans was positioned it cleared I am gonna see if i can get some pics
Awesome, can you get me some pics of that?
And i'm going to try to run a solid rear axle... if it becomes a huge set back, then i'll consider the IRS off the cobra though.

#28 ·
There is a fair amount of research to do... but it's not something crazy like piecing together all the stuff for the AWD swap. Now that i know that someone makes the custom pieces to to bolt the trans to the car, with a flex plate and any converter for a glide.. that takes away a big amount of guessing. The rest will be custom work and we shouldn't need much research.
Things that i know will be custom:
*Custom made chromolly k-member with motor mounts. Will most likely retain stock knuckles and front suspension.
*Cutting firewall for transmission tunnel.
*Steering rack: A guy that did the same thing to his civic said he was about to keep his rack in the stock location, if that doesn't work i will use a ford rack or even a custom rack and make previsions for it on the k-member and put the rack under the engine like most RWD cars.
*This transmission has really no electronics other than the speed sensor... and an aftermarket transbrake, which should all be simple to wire in.
*Rear end will be all custom labor involved. I will run a smaller fuel cell in the trunk and make room for the rear end and mini tub.
*Rear suspension will be all done at the same time the car is getting cut up for rear end and back half.
*Driveshaft: that will be custom length but power glide - to - Ford 8.8" rear end is a super common combo so there are driveshafts available, they just have to be cut to my length specs.
* Intake manifold: Since the RBC will be facing backwards once the engine is turned around, i can either use a stock s2k manifold, a Magnuson mani that they offer for RWD k-series, PRO-JAY makes one also (this is what I'd love to do, but they're expensive lol), and there are a few other options.
As for the header, same thing... it would have to be custom built... and i know the perfect guy locally that can do it. I know for sure it will be T4 lol... i will go ahead and also upgrade the intercooler and max out the 67mm turbo. I'd like to see over 800whp through the automatic, which would be over 900whp on a manual.

#29 ·
There is a fair amount of research to do... but it's not something crazy like piecing together all the stuff for the AWD swap. Now that i know that someone makes the custom pieces to to bolt the trans to the car, with a flex plate and any converter for a glide.. that takes away a big amount of guessing. The rest will be custom work and we shouldn't need much research.
Things that i know will be custom:
*Custom made chromolly k-member with motor mounts. Will most likely retain stock knuckles and front suspension.
*Cutting firewall for transmission tunnel.
*Steering rack: A guy that did the same thing to his civic said he was about to keep his rack in the stock location, if that doesn't work i will use a ford rack o
r even a custom rack and make previsions for it on the k-member and put the rack under the engine like most RWD cars.
*This transmission has really no electronics other than the speed sensor... and an aftermarket transbrake, which should all be simple to wire in.
*Rear end will be all custom labor involved. I will run a smaller fuel cell in the trunk and make room for the rear end and mini tub.
*Rear suspension will be all done at the same time the car is getting cut up for rear end and back half.
*Driveshaft: that will be custom length but power glide - to - Ford 8.8" rear end is a super common combo so there are driveshafts available, they just have to be cut to my length specs.
* Intake manifold: Since the RBC will be facing backwards once the engine is turned around, i can either use a stock s2k manifold, a Magnuson mani that they offer for RWD k-series, PRO-JAY makes one also (this is what I'd love to do, but they're expensive lol), and there are a few other options.
As for the header, same thing... it would have to be custom built... and i know the perfect guy locally that can do it. I know for sure it will be T4 lol... i will go ahead and also upgrade the intercooler and max out the 67mm turbo. I'd like to see over 800whp through the automatic, which would be over 900whp on a manual.
Sounds like a solid plan. All that would be left is rerouting fuel, vacuum and coolant lines, new charge pipes and lots of fab work on the chassis.

Is the plan to start pulling it apart over the winter(even though you have a warm one)?

#31 ·
#35 ·
Hey hey there dont dog my tcase there!!! :) Juan that boss as hell... See guys therr are regular people and people like me and Juan who do amazing...., fuck amazing but stellar shit that no one has balls to pull off or maybe interest in such a thing. But granted things dont always work out when racing everyone is acting like they never broke anything specially on a Honda. I have personally broken a transmission so how it that different than 2 rear diffs that i broke. Weak parts break and get replaced by better stuff like the diff got replaced... My tcase breaks...? The issue will be dealt with. CRSX should be happy they got memebers like me and Juan and people should stop speculating what will or wont break but hope that they last... At least for us, your fellow extreme DC5-ers.... Rant.... Great job once more Juan

#36 · (Edited)
Hey hey there dont dog my tcase there!!! :) Juan that boss as hell... See guys therr are regular people and people like me and Juan who do amazing...., fuck amazing but stellar shit that no one has balls to pull off or maybe interest in such a thing. But granted things dont always work out when racing everyone is acting like they never broke anything specially on a Honda. I have personally broken a transmission so how it that different than 2 rear diffs that i broke. Weak parts break and get replaced by better stuff like the diff got replaced... My tcase breaks...? The issue will be dealt with. CRSX should be happy they got members like me and Juan and people should stop speculating what will or wont break but hope that they last... At least for us, your fellow extreme DC5-ers.... Rant.... Great job once more Juan
I agree with this. And this isn't particularly in reference to you Steve, but more so all the negative people... but what good is it to sit there and be like "Oh that is going to break, it will not hold this or that power, such and such part will explode, yada yada..." You dont have to support it, but if you're going to be sitting on the sidelines at least stay quiet or be a little more positive. It's pretty easy to sit there and point fingers at things you don't like or you'd do different or wouldn't do at all.

#37 ·
^ LOL
I will be taking it apart and assembling everything.. i just don't know how to weld... so all the custom and fab work will be done by my buddy's shop. Believe me, i don't have the money to hand someone the keys and be like "call me back when she's ready to fire up, i wanna be there". No. Other than the fab work, all the putting together or taking apart will be done by me. Matter of fact, I'm off tuesday and i will start pulling the motor, trans and a bunch of miscellaneous out on my own... by myself in my garage. When i get enough parts so that he can design the k-member, i will then trailer the shell to him and go to his shop to work on my car. Simple.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.