Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

Rotrex Superchargers.

7K views 68 replies 22 participants last post by  Tomola 
#1 ·
I was wanting to know everyones opinion on the beastly little s/c's. Im planning on going s/c'd and Rotrex seems to be the best out there to my knowledge so what does everyone have to say on the matter?

#4 ·
that your car is fucking slow :)

#7 ·
what the fuck is this thread about, again?

#11 ·
i notice people making comments like it's not a centrifugal supercharger all the time... a planetary step up gear design(planetary system) does not make this a class of it's own... paxton made a planetary design in the 50's... it's not a new design, it's just a very little implemented design...

and if the impeller itself spun 4 times faster than other centrifugals it would fall to pieces, and make peak boost at like 2,000 rpm, because 4 times faster than normal would be like 200,000-300,000rpm depending on how hard you spin your motor.

there are 2 lobe, 3 lobe, 4 lobe, helical designs for roots blowers, but it doesn't qualify each of them to be something besides roots. this planetary step up gear system is just a nice design for gear multiplication from the input shaft to the impeller so it doesn't spin the same rpm as the engine... and this mulitplication is why peak boost is made so high, and the boost is a square of the given rpm it's at and why it doesn't make boost down low or mid range... you can change the gearing and make peak boost at different areas.

here is a link to paxton mentioning a planetary design http://www.paxtonauto.com/history.html

i think it's just the import world that thinks this is something new and special :dontknow:
they're pretty efficient up top... as you can see by the s2000 dyno on this page, the power doesn't peak early, whereas a roots style will make more boost/power low and mid range... i suppose a benefit would be low cylinder pressures while driving normally... but this shouldn't make too big of a difference since pistons have certain heat thresholds anyway.

#12 ·
good old wes with his domestic knowledge, and I concur import people seem to think this is something new. It's not. I miss talking to my buddy wes, also :wavey: highrev, havent seen you since the last SC chat thread I was in.

#15 ·
go turbo wuss

#26 ·
gonna have too :thumbsup::beerchug: miss some of you guys :)

#29 ·
ahah thanks for reminding me that we're old

#35 ·
Kraftwerks Performance Supercharger Kit
At the core of each KraftWerks kit is a patented Rotrex traction drive supercharger, capable of over 200,000 RPM. The proprietary design allows the Rotrex supercharger to be lighter, smaller, quieter, cooler, and run at higher RPMs than all other competing superchargers - Resulting in superior efficiency, reduced emissions, and improved transient response. KraftWerks Supercharger kits offer a broader, more usable power than anything on the market. A broad power band makes for a better street/ race car, and demonstrates the superiority of the Rotrex design.
The KraftWerks kits have shown gains in excess of 100% across the entire power band and represent the pinnacle in forced air induction.
K-Series Race Supercharger Kit [KW-888-116]
All Vehicles w/K Series from factory or swap $ 2,895.00

#37 ·
I'm anxious to see what happens. I'm working on a complete K20 build for my EF hatch I want to run their C38-81, should be done by spring. Look for the thread on K20a.org. Superchargers look promising.

#41 ·
So does anyone on here have an experience with a rotrex s/c because their said to put out around 500hp.. and didnt know if anyone had the stats to back up what they claim...?

G
#42 ·
The only Rotrex-powered K20 street car that I am aware of is a guy from the Bay Area with an EP3. No idea where he is theses days. As far as horsepower, a centrifugal is capable of making much more power than that. Like turbos, they are available in various trim levels.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.