Sway Bar Reviews - Page 5 - Club RSX Message Board
Go Back   Club RSX Message Board > SUSPENSION > Suspension, Chassis & Brakes
Use the same user name on Club RSX, Club EP3, and Club ILX!

Old 03-26-2009, 11:47 AM   #101
Zzyzx
Late Apexer

Zzyzx is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Thing is, tuning a given suspension in not anything like tuning an engine. In your suspensions case, you the driver is always going to be the larges variable & largest influence on how the car handles. Regardless of how much money you put in to the suspension or who the car was tuned by.

Which means that with out spending time to tune you, the driver, there's no way you are going to set the car up correctly. Usually what happens when a person tunes the car 1st is that they end up with a car setup to mask their bad habits, rather then one that's tuned to be as fast as it could be.

“There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
— Ed Howdershelt
Zzyzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2009, 12:26 PM   #102
DC5Max
EWGing!

DC5Max is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
rob, according to madru in his http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread...light=BCRH+FAQ ...he states the 25.4 one... i know some ppl have had issues with fitting it properly.

Zxyzx you make very good points, so changing swaybars is going to have a dramatic effect on how i drive. But in all honesty I am more on the power side (drag racing) so for me it is a must to get on the RH then learn to drive on the road course. (when money isn't a issue)

I like how the stock setup was 23/19 I would have intended to keep that setup if it weren't the for race header coming in. you think if i start working with the 25/24 it could be more similar to stock geometry than the 15.9?

I hate the fact that when i drive another car and if i move side to side the car seems to wobble, lagg in the back. like the car isn't moving as one. Thats the way i like the car( to move as one and not lag), which is how the stock suspension is set-up on the RSX correct? so then 15.9 setup would not be ideal for me rather then the 25.4?
DC5Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 12:36 PM   #103
Temptazn_Mark
Master Member

Temptazn_Mark is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC5Max View Post
rob, according to madru in his http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread...light=BCRH+FAQ ...he states the 25.4 one... i know some ppl have had issues with fitting it properly.

Zxyzx you make very good points, so changing swaybars is going to have a dramatic effect on how i drive. But in all honesty I am more on the power side (drag racing) so for me it is a must to get on the RH then learn to drive on the road course. (when money isn't a issue)

I like how the stock setup was 23/19 I would have intended to keep that setup if it weren't the for race header coming in. you think if i start working with the 25/24 it could be more similar to stock geometry than the 15.9?

I hate the fact that when i drive another car and if i move side to side the car seems to wobble, lagg in the back. like the car isn't moving as one. Thats the way i like the car( to move as one and not lag), which is how the stock suspension is set-up on the RSX correct? so then 15.9 setup would not be ideal for me rather then the 25.4?
Yikes.. buddy..

You need to chuck everything you think you know about suspension and start from square one.

I see you having 2 options. Either randomly mod the car the way you like (which won't be ideal).

Or

Take time.. and I mean ALOT OF TIME to learn about a car's suspension, how it functions, and how different parts affect one another.
Technically, this approach won't be ideal either, because it requires a decent driver.

My suggestion? Don't worry about proper setup and just buy the random shit that you like (no joke).
Temptazn_Mark is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-26-2009, 12:46 PM   #104
DC5Max
EWGing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temptazn_Mark View Post
Yikes.. buddy..

You need to chuck everything you think you know about suspension and start from square one.

I see you having 2 options. Either randomly mod the car the way you like (which won't be ideal).

Or

Take time.. and I mean ALOT OF TIME to learn about a car's suspension, how it functions, and how different parts affect one another.
Technically, this approach won't be ideal either, because it requires a decent driver.

My suggestion? Don't worry about proper setup and just buy the random shit that you like (no joke).
Hey Mark,

What was wrong with what i said? I basically like how the stock RSX functions like i dunno how to explain but when i drive the RSX, it feels more stable, stiffer, and has unity versus as my current winter beater, the 95 Toyota Corolla. When i drive aggressive with that, I notice that the back end is wobbly, unstabled. Eg. it was back in January when we had a snow storm in Toronto, I was driving home in like 15-20 cm snow and i changed lanes and once i was going in the other lane i felt like the back was out of place, a second lately i was about to go on the other lane (opposite direction) so i turn the wheel the other way to steer back to the lane and after i started to swirl (not sure if spelt right) and after i spun out.
Old 03-26-2009, 12:58 PM   #105
Temptazn_Mark
Master Member

^ Based off your story, I do not believe the car was the culprit.

Possibly driver + tires + road conditions.

In regards to car feeling "as one" like you mentioned. The only thing I can think of is chassis rigidity, that's probably what you're feeling. Not the suspension.

That's what I think anyways. What you'd probably like is more chassis bracing (or better, roll cage, damn they feel good).
Old 03-26-2009, 01:16 PM   #106
Zzyzx
Late Apexer

a 95 corolla (a economy sedan) vs an RSX (an sport coupe).... and you wonder why one feels more stable then the other?

not to mention the corolla is sitting on dampers that are 14 years old. its not a fair comparison.

“There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
— Ed Howdershelt
Old 03-26-2009, 04:08 PM   #107
DC5Max
EWGing!

hmm roll cage that would cost alot and possibly eliminate my rear passengers?

okay maybe it was a bad example but you get the idea

ahahah you guys must be like lol appreciate the help just want to achieve the stock ride with changing sways and i just want to know out of the two options i posted which would perform closest to stock.

Why would I want stock? b/c i am still a NOOB yes and i dont know how i would like my suspension to be apart from stock atm.

*oh yeah even on normal days the corollas back end is sloppy.. but i just thought about my back dampers slowing giving up now. when i go over bump you can hear the clunk and looks like the damper is not doing its job anymore. oh well what you expect for a winter beater*

the corolla is using some all season Michelin tires and the road was bad and possibly we got a driver who turned too aggressively not noting the driving conditions ... could have ultimately led to my spin out.

Last edited by DC5Max; 03-26-2009 at 04:12 PM..
Old 03-26-2009, 04:13 PM   #108
Zzyzx
Late Apexer

End of the day, If you do run that 15.9mm front bar to clear the race header then you are going to have to do a bunch of other things to the suspension to get it back to handling the way it does now.

— Ed Howdershelt
Old 03-26-2009, 07:00 PM   #109
luvmyvtec

luvmyvtec is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx luvmyvtec is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx luvmyvtec is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx luvmyvtec is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx luvmyvtec is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx luvmyvtec is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx luvmyvtec is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx luvmyvtec is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
maybe i should have phrased my question better....i have to replace the front sway to fit with the header. i can either get the 15.9 or 25.4. i know that with nothing else changed the thinner would lean towards overstearing and the fatter would lean towards understeering.
i have a daily driver so i'm not going to the auto-x track. do i really have to worry that much about a bad oversteer (losing the back end and spinning out ) issue if i go with the 15.9?
also do i need to get different bushings and endlinks than my current stock ones?
i like the stock feel around turns or cornering highway ramps so i'm really wondering how dramatic the change will be and which parts i need to order with the sway. i need to do one order and get it all on at once, so that's why i'm asking some of your expertise.
luvmyvtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 07:53 PM   #110
RyoHazuki
Swift and Spurious

RyoHazuki is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyvtec View Post
maybe i should have phrased my question better....i have to replace the front sway to fit with the header. i can either get the 15.9 or 25.4. i know that with nothing else changed the thinner would lean towards overstearing and the fatter would lean towards understeering.
i have a daily driver so i'm not going to the auto-x track. do i really have to worry that much about a bad oversteer (losing the back end and spinning out ) issue if i go with the 15.9?
also do i need to get different bushings and endlinks than my current stock ones?
i like the stock feel around turns or cornering highway ramps so i'm really wondering how dramatic the change will be and which parts i need to order with the sway. i need to do one order and get it all on at once, so that's why i'm asking some of your expertise.
No, you won't just suddenly start spinning out just because of the smaller front sway bar. The 15.9mm will be fine for what you want. If you have the choice though, the 25.4mm will be closest to stock feel and might be best if you have no intention of tuning the handling of the car.

You will need different bushings and bushing brackets with either sway. Those can be found via any Honda online or dealer parts dept. The stock endlinks will work fine with either bar. Do you need specific part numbers? They're on this site somewhere, I'm pretty sure. In fact, I think I've posted them before if you need someone to search on. Feel free to PM me if you can't find them.
Old 03-26-2009, 08:55 PM   #111
Temptazn_Mark
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyoHazuki View Post
No, you won't just suddenly start spinning out just because of the smaller front sway bar. The 15.9mm will be fine for what you want. If you have the choice though, the 25.4mm will be closest to stock feel and might be best if you have no intention of tuning the handling of the car.

You will need different bushings and bushing brackets with either sway. Those can be found via any Honda online or dealer parts dept. The stock endlinks will work fine with either bar. Do you need specific part numbers? They're on this site somewhere, I'm pretty sure. In fact, I think I've posted them before if you need someone to search on. Feel free to PM me if you can't find them.
Allow me to clarify this..

You do NOT need the bracket.. just the sway bar + bushing. Endlinks and brackets work perfectly.
Old 03-26-2009, 10:32 PM   #112
RyoHazuki
Swift and Spurious

Actually Mark's right. When I had the 15.9mm sway I bought the brackets and didn't need them. Shitty memory. That's what I get for posting in a hurry at work!
Old 03-26-2009, 11:35 PM   #113
luvmyvtec

luvmyvtec is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx luvmyvtec is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx luvmyvtec is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx luvmyvtec is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx luvmyvtec is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx luvmyvtec is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx luvmyvtec is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx luvmyvtec is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
thanks for the info guys. btw ryo....what was your setup with the 15.9 as far as other suspension mods? how did you like it? i'm not going to do anything else i'm just curious how aggressive you set it up and how you liked it.
Old 03-26-2009, 11:40 PM   #114
Temptazn_Mark
Master Member

Quote:
thanks for the info guys. btw ryo....what was your setup with the 15.9 as far as other suspension mods? how did you like it? i'm not going to do anything else i'm just curious how aggressive you set it up and how you liked it.
Nobody's setup was aggressive as mine..

Mad toe-out front rear with rear biased springs/dampening/sway bars. Super light rear end combined with only front-end downforce.
Old 03-27-2009, 10:29 AM   #115
Zzyzx
Late Apexer

Quote:
do i really have to worry that much about a bad oversteer (losing the back end and spinning out ) issue if i go with the 15.9?
Yes, Think any emergency situation where you slam on the brakes and your not traveling in a perfectly straight line. Or perhaps you simply miss judge a turn and are forced to lift off the throttle mid turn or tap the brakes mid turn. Its even more fun in the rain or any other low grip situation.

Basically, if you drive like an 80 year old grandmother & never ever have to stop in an emergency situation then the 15.9mm bar will never cause oversteer. but if you drive like a normal person then there are plenty of ways that bar can get the car to oversteer.

There's a reason why car manufactures default the car to understeer, its easy to control and deal with. Especially in emergency or low grip situations

So I vote go with the 25mm one.

— Ed Howdershelt

Last edited by Zzyzx; 03-27-2009 at 10:33 AM..
Old 03-27-2009, 05:17 PM   #116
RyoHazuki
Swift and Spurious

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyvtec
btw ryo....what was your setup with the 15.9 as far as other suspension mods? how did you like it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zzyzx
Yes, Think any emergency situation where you slam on the brakes and your not traveling in a perfectly straight line. Or perhaps you simply miss judge a turn and are forced to lift off the throttle mid turn or tap the brakes mid turn. Its even more fun in the rain or any other low grip situation.

Basically, if you drive like an 80 year old grandmother & never ever have to stop in an emergency situation then the 15.9mm bar will never cause oversteer. but if you drive like a normal person then there are plenty of ways that bar can get the car to oversteer.

There's a reason why car manufactures default the car to understeer, its easy to control and deal with. Especially in emergency or low grip situations

So I vote go with the 25mm one.
My experience with the 15.9mm wasn't quite that dramatic, even on the autocross course, but I'd still opt for the 25mm one as well. The smaller bar would aid oversteer a bit, but it wasn't going to just snap around unless you did something crazy/awesome like tap the brakes at full cornering load. Granted alignment and the amount of lowering has a large influence as well, so this isn't a guarantee that anyone else's experience with the bar will be identical.

At the time, I was trying Konis + the Eibach Pro-Kit springs. My alignment was -2.2 camber up front and 1 in the rear. Pretty sure the toe was 0-ish all around. The rear sway was swapped between the 25.4mm and 27mm Hotchkis bars at various points. I did not like the way the RSX drove with that front bar -- Mainly the Pro-Kits were too soft to use with the 15.9mm sway bar. When autocrossing, the body roll made the front feel comparatively sloppy, and it understeered more than I thought it would. Until you're running stiffer front springs, my feeling is that the 15.9mm bar is not the right choice, period.

In the end, I agree with zzyzx that the 25.4mm is a better choice for just street use, and the stiffer bar will definitely feel better on the street. Yes, if you want something aggressive, just copy what Mark's car -- Right down to the band-aids on the quarter panels.
Old 03-27-2009, 05:51 PM   #117
luvmyvtec

i watched mark's oversteer video so i'm not going to copy his exact setup nice save btw
Old 06-02-2009, 11:48 PM   #118
RYU583
Rage With the Machines

RYU583 is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Fellas...I have a question

I just installed a progress rear sway...its hitting my exhaust and will have to fix it

i didnt install the front yet because I dont know if it will clear the DCRH I have.
It is one of the first few that came out.

Anyone know if it will clear it?.....or maybe if it will with the hotchkis endlinks? .......
or if that still doesnt work....
then what bar will??

Thanks
00 YZF R6
www.AdrianoCatering.com
RYU583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 04:36 PM   #119
RYU583
Rage With the Machines

RYU583 is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
noone?
00 YZF R6
www.AdrianoCatering.com
RYU583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 08:46 AM   #120
Atypical Driver
Mercy is for the weak!

Atypical Driver is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Brand: Honda JDM 22m rear sway
Thickness: [22mm]
End Links: [stock end links with Energy Suspension bushings]
Use: [street]
Pros: Fits like a glove, doesn't hit my exhaust. Rear is noticably stiffer in turns, daily driving can be more fun.
Cons: Not sure if there are any cons but my impression is it might not be for me. The car handles very well and the rear doesnt want to lean as much which did bother me to some extent.
The rotation the car can do is amazing although I have stock tires on 06 wheels and they chirped on turns they normally didnt. In the short amount of time I've driven with it (about an hour) I can see just how serious of a mod this is. Again, not sure if this is the mod for me. The concept of accelerating through a turn for grip and letting off throttle/braking to produce spin (possible spin out with less than stellar tires or slippery conditions) is something I'm not sure I can live with, since I do a decent amount of highway driving with my fiance, and almost no track driving.

Ultimately I'll need to find a parking lot and do some maneuvers to see just how true my conceptions are, I could be a little paranoid about all this but at the same time I want to do whats right for me and my driving.

This combo might be up for sale next week if anyone is interested, I'll take this week to try and learn the limits of this car and if I dont feel in complete control I'm gonna ditch it for stock.

Overall great product, just not sure it suits me and what I want out of my car.

Last edited by Atypical Driver; 06-29-2009 at 08:49 AM..
Atypical Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 09:29 AM   #121
stlrollin6
everyone shut it

stlrollin6 is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
my progress rear creeks like a bitch, pisses me off
stlrollin6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 09:47 AM   #122
Atypical Driver
Mercy is for the weak!

Atypical Driver is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
^grease it like a bitch
Atypical Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 01:12 PM   #123
RICKYritethere
Model Behaviour

RICKYritethere is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlrollin6 View Post
my progress rear creeks like a bitch, pisses me off
My progress 22 mill is awesome, One of the best mods you can have if you have supporting parts. Women say it hurts there boobs because the car is too stiff.
Old 01-12-2010, 02:52 AM   #124
plAythiNG
Master Member

plAythiNG is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx plAythiNG is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx plAythiNG is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx plAythiNG is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx plAythiNG is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx plAythiNG is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx plAythiNG is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx plAythiNG is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Im thinking of getting Whiteline front and rear sway bars for my type s.... im jsut wondering, how much wear there is for the endlinks?
plAythiNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 01:52 PM   #125
Rendil
03 ABP Type-S

Rendil is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Want to buy progress 24mm and i'm running HKS hi-power anyone know how the clearance is on that setup?
Rendil is offline   Reply With Quote