Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

05/06 Seat Install in 02/04 - Visual Guide

58K views 89 replies 52 participants last post by  Raz 
#1 ·
I recently installed a set of 05-06 leather seats in my 2002. I assumed they would be a direct swap, plug and play. After driving around with the SRS light on for about a month I decided to reset the SRS light but had no luck, it kept coming on. I did some research online and found a couple things need to be done in order for the seats to be compatible. Your SRS light WILL be on and will STAY on if youdo not swap these parts. Here is my HOW TO for those doing the swap.

PART I - OPDS UNIT
1. Remove Passenger seat with the 4 14mm bolts. Unplug all connectors underneath.
2. Unzip the seat cover on the passenger side.

3. Pull back the seat cover on the side to access the OPDS Unit Cover.

4. Remove Cover by unsnapping it and unplug connecters.

5. Unscrew the two phillips screws securing the unit and remove the OPDS Unit.

6. Replace the 05-06 OPDS Unit with your 02-04 Unit. Install screws and connectors. Zip your seat cover.

PART II - SEATBELT AUTO TENSIONER
1. Remove the 14mm bolt from the seatbelt Autotensioner.

2. Unplug connectors under seat and remove unit.

3. After it has been removed, install your 02-04 unit on the 05-06 seat.

PART III - RESETTING YOUR SRS LIGHT
1. Jump your SRS Plug with a wire or paperclip. Yellow plug on fusebox.
2. Turn key to II, SRS Light will disappear.
3. Remove Wire, SRS Light Reappears, Plug Wire back in. Light Will disappear.
4. When SRS Light blinks twice, you are done.
5. Turn key to position 0, plug in SRS plug.

Whatever car you are installing seats in, you will need the original OPDS and Seatbelt Tensioner. Good luck, hope this helps. So, before you get all excited and sell your old seats, make sure you take out the parts needed.

Completed Swap (Ignore my Accord All-season floor mats!)

See less See more
#64 ·
seat install please help

Hi I have a salvaged 04 rsx type. My drivers seat air bag deployed from the accident but i just bought some 05-06 seats that im planning on installing into my car. Ive seen on other threads about switching the opds and buckles and was wondering if my drivers side buckle is still good or if it needs to be replaced. And if it does need to be replaced can i just use the ones from the 05-06 seats? thanks

#71 ·
I did mine today. Took about 45 min. I changed the ODPS and both tensioners.
Disconnected battery before and no SRS light after

Here is the pic of both ODPS sensors side by side:

Here is the driver seat, new and old: BIG difference!!!

Attachments

#78 ·
Can anyone confirm if I must swap the tensioners as well or can I just change the opds sensor if I want to put 06 seats into my 03? My 03 driver's seat tensioner needs to be replaced so this might be good time to upgrade. It seemed like some did, and some didn't? Anyone know for sure?

#84 ·
Sorry to bring this back up, but I sill dont understand the belt thing. I'm buying 05/06 black cloth seats for $120! I have a 2002 and my srs light is on but truthly I don't really care for it. I just want to know if I can just swap out seats and pretty much plug and play?

#85 ·
What don't you understand about the belts?

Yes it is all plug and play just like it shows on the first page.

The only issue with the SRS light being on is, your safety features might not work properly. Example: Someone decides to run into your car, your airbag might not go off.

#86 · (Edited)
did my drivers seat today. had to cut the seat belt wires because on the 02-04 seats the hole that they go through is way to small for the connectors to go through.
going to be doing my passenger side tomorrow if anyone knows how to get the connectors through the hole please let me know so I don't have to cut them again.

EDIT: never mind, did my passenger seat and the lead hole was bigger. However I had to switch out one of the plug harnesses from under my old passenger seat onto my new one.

#87 ·
x2 , this was the only issue i ran into because my 06s didnt come with the seat belt buckles. gettin the connectors through was a bitch! i honestly got it half way through, got some pliers and yanked it through. did a little damage to it but still works and connects properly.

#88 ·
One thing i can recommend when doing this, that i didnt realize until i messed stuff up, but those connectors, can be disconnected from the clip, rather than pulling the clip off the seat. Just put a tiny flathead screw driver into the top front edge, and slide it off. Its a pain and takes practise, you dont mess up the clips.

#89 ·
the 02-04 seats are better no need to do all this mess

#90 ·
I just swapped both front 05 seats into 04. I didn't have to reset the srs, I just disconnected the battery before pulling any wires and only reconnected it when everything was plugged back in. I swapped the sensor and belt tensioner from my old seats into the new one and it worked perfectly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.