Turbo *Chat* Crank the Boost & Turn'er Loose - Page 44 - Club RSX Message Board
Go Back   Club RSX Message Board > PERFORMANCE BASICS RSX > Turbo RSX
Use the same user name on Club RSX, Club EP3, and Club ILX!

Old 10-13-2019, 09:43 AM   #1076
b005t3drsx
S372

b005t3drsx is loved by everyone on c-rsx
b005t3drsx is loved by everyone on c-rsx b005t3drsx is loved by everyone on c-rsx b005t3drsx is loved by everyone on c-rsx b005t3drsx is loved by everyone on c-rsx b005t3drsx is loved by everyone on c-rsx b005t3drsx is loved by everyone on c-rsx b005t3drsx is loved by everyone on c-rsx
Quick question. What do you guys do with your pcv valve? Where did you route it? Also the iacv where did you route those hoses?
--Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely, in a pretty and well preserved body; but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming,"Wow ---- What a ride!!!"--
b005t3drsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2019, 01:06 PM   #1077
claymiester
Boosted K20A3

claymiester is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by b005t3drsx View Post
Quick question. What do you guys do with your pcv valve? Where did you route it? Also the iacv where did you route those hoses?
I took a slightly different approach to still satisfy the original intent of the system.

From the PCV, mine goes to a catch can. From the catch can, I have a tee and it goes to the original intake manifold port and the compressor inlet. On each of those two lines, I have a PCV system rated check valve (UPR check valve).

Doing it the way I did ensures that there will always be a pressure differential supporting crankcase ventilation (IM at low RPM, and compressor inlet at higher RPM). The two check valves essentially turn off whichever side is helping less or hurting it, such as the IM under boost.

IACV hoses? Do you mean the coolant lines for the throttle body heater in the IACV? If so, you can typically skip those in climates that donít frequently see freezing temps. I bypassed mine so that I could use those ports for water cooling the turbo. My IACV lines are just open, but I probably should have capped them to make sure it doesnít rust or anything inside it.
claymiester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 01:40 PM   #1078
b005t3drsx
S372

b005t3drsx is loved by everyone on c-rsx b005t3drsx is loved by everyone on c-rsx b005t3drsx is loved by everyone on c-rsx b005t3drsx is loved by everyone on c-rsx b005t3drsx is loved by everyone on c-rsx b005t3drsx is loved by everyone on c-rsx b005t3drsx is loved by everyone on c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by claymiester View Post
I took a slightly different approach to still satisfy the original intent of the system.

From the PCV, mine goes to a catch can. From the catch can, I have a tee and it goes to the original intake manifold port and the compressor inlet. On each of those two lines, I have a PCV system rated check valve (UPR check valve).

Doing it the way I did ensures that there will always be a pressure differential supporting crankcase ventilation (IM at low RPM, and compressor inlet at higher RPM). The two check valves essentially turn off whichever side is helping less or hurting it, such as the IM under boost.

IACV hoses? Do you mean the coolant lines for the throttle body heater in the IACV? If so, you can typically skip those in climates that don’t frequently see freezing temps. I bypassed mine so that I could use those ports for water cooling the turbo. My IACV lines are just open, but I probably should have capped them to make sure it doesn’t rust or anything inside it.
Can you post some pics?

My issue is I don't have stock IM port because I went with a Skunk2 Manifold. Okay ill cap my iacv port.
--Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely, in a pretty and well preserved body; but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming,"Wow ---- What a ride!!!"--

Old Yesterday, 12:21 PM   #1079
claymiester
Boosted K20A3

These pics don't show all of it, but maybe they help? (Disclaimer - these pics were when I was test fitting it, so some of my misc. hoses aren't fully connected yet)

The hose connecting to the PCV system runs across the front into the catch can, and the large brass tee on the outlet of the catch can is the tee I referred to. There's another small tee you can see in there, but that's unrelated to the PCV system - IIRC it's for the BOV, since I can't exactly tap a hole in my plastic manifold and needed another IM reference line.

Old Yesterday, 12:31 PM   #1080
b005t3drsx
S372

Quote:
Originally Posted by claymiester View Post
These pics don't show all of it, but maybe they help? (Disclaimer - these pics were when I was test fitting it, so some of my misc. hoses aren't fully connected yet)

The hose connecting to the PCV system runs across the front into the catch can, and the large brass tee on the outlet of the catch can is the tee I referred to. There's another small tee you can see in there, but that's unrelated to the PCV system - IIRC it's for the BOV, since I can't exactly tap a hole in my plastic manifold and needed another IM reference line.

Wow. yeah that helps and makes me more confused lol. I'm going to have to take some pictures of what i'm confused on and maybe you guys could help.
Old Yesterday, 01:16 PM   #1081
claymiester
Boosted K20A3

Alright, how about a diagram? Taken from the PCV system description in the Helms.

Number 20 is the PCV valve. I have a hose going to my catch can.

On the catch can, I have a tee which leads to two outlet hoses. Each of these outlet hoses has a check valve that only allows flow away from the catch can.

When idling, the IM is the highest vacuum, so the CV closest to the IM is open, which closes the CV on the compressor inlet side.

When under boost, the positive pressure closes the IM CV, and the compressor inlet is generating a stronger vacuum to pull air through the catch can.

Also of note, the PCV valve is never truly closed, whereas the check valves can be. Honda designed the PCV valve to "leak" and essentially allow airflow both directions, with the predominate airflow of course being to vent towards the intake manifold.

Many people tackle this different ways, but this is the way I felt satisfied the original intent of the factory system.

For reference, I didn't include the BOV portion in this. I did include the valve cover vent method I chose, though. This is the hose you can see in my second picture with the 90į bend.

Hope this helps!

Old Yesterday, 01:18 PM   #1082
kracker
Still tuning....

kracker is a name not to mess with
kracker is a name not to mess with kracker is a name not to mess with kracker is a name not to mess with
Quote:
Originally Posted by b005t3drsx View Post
Drill it and tap it 3/8 npt and run it to catch can and empty it like a man in the driveway every 1k miles or so.
Old Yesterday, 06:49 PM   #1083
Jeff122886
Fully Boosted

Jeff122886 Golden Rep Whore Jeff122886 Golden Rep Whore
Jeff122886 Golden Rep Whore
Quote:
Originally Posted by kracker View Post
Drill it and tap it 3/8 npt and run it to catch can and empty it like a man in the driveway every 1k miles or so.
lmao i just drilled mine and had a filter on it lmao
ABP Crew Member #30 636whp, 502trq on C16
Boost Slut Krew Member #7
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
My 04 PPG & Turbocharged ABP RSX-S
My Twinscroll Full Race 8374 EFR Build Thread
Jeff122886 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:56 PM   #1084
b005t3drsx
S372

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff122886 View Post
lmao i just drilled mine and had a filter on it lmao
I think that's what I am going to do for now. Got to much other crap to work on.
Old Today, 01:30 PM   #1085
Type-Spaz
Hybrid-Racing.com

Type-Spaz has disabled reputation
yeah I got rid of the PCV valve and just put an open nipple fitting on it and ran it to my catch can.