I need a third opinion.. - Club RSX Message Board
Go Back   Club RSX Message Board > GENERAL RSX > Problems & Solutions RSX
Use the same user name on Club RSX, Club EP3, and Club ILX!

Old 01-08-2019, 11:13 PM   #1
Apollo2020

Apollo2020 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Apollo2020 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Apollo2020 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Apollo2020 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Apollo2020 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Apollo2020 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Apollo2020 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Apollo2020 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
I need a third opinion..

I'm at odds between my mechanic who installed my Coilovers a few months ago saying I'd need shorter tie rod ends for when I lower the car in the summer, and told me to get these , and my tuner friend who saying I'm going to get bad bumpsteer and that I should keep it stock and get camber kits.

Right now my car is a little lower than the stock ride height but it still made do with the tie rod ends that came with the coilovers, he told me these will be useless when I would lower it.

However, before installing the coilovers I was on skunk2 springs and would get clunks when turning the steering wheel, it's gone now (just a little fyi)

Any thoughts?
Apollo2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2019, 07:36 AM   #2
blackrooster808

blackrooster808 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx blackrooster808 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx blackrooster808 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx blackrooster808 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx blackrooster808 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx blackrooster808 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx blackrooster808 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx blackrooster808 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx blackrooster808 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
What kind of suspension is it. Not sure what the mechanic is talking about. Definitely do get the rear camber kits though, so your alignment will be proper

If you hear clicking while driving or turning that means your tie rods need replacing. The clunking noise comes from the suspension
blackrooster808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 08:44 AM   #3
dustyboner
Vaginal Lubrication Tech

dustyboner is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackrooster808 View Post
What kind of suspension is it. Not sure what the mechanic is talking about. Definitely do get the rear camber kits though, so your alignment will be proper
negative camber can improve grip when cornering. But you will go thru tires quicker

Quote:
If you hear clicking while driving or turning that means your tie rods need replacing. The clunking noise comes from the suspension
clicking can also be from bad endlinks on the swaybar
RSX fog light install guide

watch him play with his meat
dustyboner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2019, 09:35 AM   #4
Mikeman711

Mikeman711 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Mikeman711 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Mikeman711 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Mikeman711 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Mikeman711 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Mikeman711 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Mikeman711 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Mikeman711 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Best thing to do get under the car and start looking at all your suspension and steering parts make sure everything is tight and check all the bushings your self you will know if one is bad etc
Mikeman711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 02:45 PM   #5
Apollo2020

Apollo2020 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Apollo2020 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Apollo2020 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Apollo2020 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Apollo2020 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Apollo2020 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Apollo2020 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Apollo2020 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Quote:

As of yet it's the stock suspension, I haven't done anything. RSX use Macpherson if thats what you are asking.

My car has rear camber kits on so i'm not worried about the back.

As for the clicking, it went away when my mechanic took out the lowering springs and replaced it with Godspeed Coilovers. It would be kind of like a clunking sound when you turn the wheel at low speeds but when going faster it would disappear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustyboner View Post
negative camber can improve grip when cornering. But you will go thru tires quicker

Swaybar bushings at the back need replacing, as for endlinks, I'm not sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeman711 View Post
Best thing to do get under the car and start looking at all your suspension and steering parts make sure everything is tight and check all the bushings your self you will know if one is bad etc
The main problem I have is my mechanic saying I need these short tie rod ends because when lowering the car it would be too long.

My friend said I'd get bad bump steer if I do however he tells me to get front camber kit.

Should I take it to another mechanic for a look?
Old 01-09-2019, 04:08 PM   #6
marko16

marko16 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx marko16 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx marko16 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx marko16 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx marko16 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx marko16 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx marko16 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx marko16 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx marko16 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
If you go low enough the tie rod ends can run out of threads. One of mine doesn't need them, the other the previous owner installed them. This one I can't get a low profile jack under, so I may not want to go that low anyway. Better coilers come with camber plates on the front. So much is written, so much is myth and so much is true. As low as I am, I don't notice any ill handling effects. I've read about bumpsteer, but not sure if it will effect my lap time to the grocery store. Even then, that gets argued about. For a track car, sure. I'd figure how low you going to go and the coil overs first. Anything is possible and they all come with positives and negatives. A good looking drop doesn't require new rod ends, but good looking is subjective.
Old 01-09-2019, 04:35 PM   #7
Apollo2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko16 View Post
If you go low enough the tie rod ends can run out of threads. One of mine doesn't need them, the other the previous owner installed them. This one I can't get a low profile jack under, so I may not want to go that low anyway. Better coilers come with camber plates on the front. So much is written, so much is myth and so much is true. As low as I am, I don't notice any ill handling effects. I've read about bumpsteer, but not sure if it will effect my lap time to the grocery store. Even then, that gets argued about. For a track car, sure. I'd figure how low you going to go and the coil overs first. Anything is possible and they all come with positives and negatives. A good looking drop doesn't require new rod ends, but good looking is subjective.

My coilovers have the pillowball mounts etc

I'm looking for a 2.5" to 3" drop as the front is still pretty high.

I won't be literately "slamming" my car to the ground, just want it lower than what my skunk2 springs was
Old 01-09-2019, 05:29 PM   #8
dustyboner
Vaginal Lubrication Tech

https://forums.clubrsx.com/showpost....4&postcount=28

Old 01-09-2019, 06:17 PM   #9
Apollo2020

Quote:
holy shit, your a life saver.

thanks a ton
Old 01-10-2019, 06:19 AM   #10
blackrooster808

blackrooster808 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx blackrooster808 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx blackrooster808 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx blackrooster808 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx blackrooster808 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx blackrooster808 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx blackrooster808 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx blackrooster808 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx blackrooster808 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Quote:

Never thought about that. You learn something new everyday. Ive never had a car with bad endlinks, however I think its because I always buy a bigger sway bar with new endlinks lately for my cars
Old 01-10-2019, 10:56 AM   #11
marko16

marko16 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx marko16 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx marko16 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx marko16 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx marko16 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx marko16 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx marko16 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx marko16 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx marko16 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo2020 View Post
My coilovers have the pillowball mounts etc

I'm looking for a 2.5" to 3" drop as the front is still pretty high.

I won't be literately "slamming" my car to the ground, just want it lower than what my skunk2 springs was
That's getting into shorter tie rod territory.
Old 01-10-2019, 01:06 PM   #12
Thewrai6th

Thewrai6th is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Thewrai6th is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Thewrai6th is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Thewrai6th is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Thewrai6th is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Thewrai6th is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Thewrai6th is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Thewrai6th is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
I want to clarify something here, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Tie rods are for setting tow.

When your car is at stock ride height, the tie rod ends are relatively horizontal with the ground.

When you raise up the car, dropping the hubs down lower, the tie rods are no longer horizontal and are now pointing down. This brings in the tow, as the distance from the steering rack and a straight hub is now longer.

When you drop the car, the same thing happens. The tie rods are no longer horizontal and are now pointing upwards. This again brings in the tow for the same reason as above.

So in either case, you would need extended tie rods. There is only so much thread on the steering rack. You need, at least, the diameter of the steering rack thread screwed into the tie rod.
Thewrai6th is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 02:15 PM   #13
Apollo2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thewrai6th View Post

When your car is at stock ride height, the tie rod ends are relatively horizontal with the ground.

When you raise up the car, dropping the hubs down lower, the tie rods are no longer horizontal and are now pointing down. This brings in the tow, as the distance from the steering rack and a straight hub is now longer.

When you drop the car, the same thing happens. The tie rods are no longer horizontal and are now pointing upwards. This again brings in the tow for the same reason as above.

So in either case, you would need extended tie rods. There is only so much thread on the steering rack. You need, at least, the diameter of the steering rack thread screwed into the tie rod.
These are what my mechanic told me to buy when i'd lower the car, would these solve the problem?

Also it seems clear that I don't need front camber kits, am i right?
Old 01-10-2019, 03:37 PM   #14
Thewrai6th

Thewrai6th is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Thewrai6th is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Thewrai6th is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Thewrai6th is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Thewrai6th is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Thewrai6th is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Thewrai6th is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Thewrai6th is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Quote:
These are what my mechanic told me to buy when i'd lower the car, would these solve the problem?
That's opposite what I was thinking, so I'm looking for an explanation. I see threads stating both, needing longer or needing shorter tie rods.
Are you increasing camber as well? That might be the reason for shorter tie rods

Last edited by Thewrai6th; 01-10-2019 at 03:45 PM..
Thewrai6th is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 04:18 PM   #15
Apollo2020

Quote:
That's opposite what I was thinking, so I'm looking for an explanation. I see threads stating both, needing longer or needing shorter tie rods.
Are you increasing camber as well? That might be the reason for shorter tie rods
im gonna keep them flush
Old 01-10-2019, 06:33 PM   #16
dustyboner
Vaginal Lubrication Tech

http://www.hardrace.com/Product_detail.asp?id=3283

or you can go with reverse tie rod ends
http://www.hardrace.com/Product_detail.asp?id=2754

normal tie rod end is on top

reverse is below

Old 01-10-2019, 07:40 PM   #17
ArcticBlueAlex
Master Member

ArcticBlueAlex is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx ArcticBlueAlex is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx ArcticBlueAlex is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx ArcticBlueAlex is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx ArcticBlueAlex is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx ArcticBlueAlex is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx ArcticBlueAlex is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx ArcticBlueAlex is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx ArcticBlueAlex is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
https://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=1107674
/thread
Old 01-11-2019, 12:32 AM   #18
blackrooster808

Quote:

Also it seems clear that I don't need front camber kits, am i right?
No need as long as your suspension has camber plates. If they dont have them them you can buy cheap camber bolts. depends how low your dropping the front though
Old 01-11-2019, 12:53 AM   #19
Apollo2020

Quote:
No need as long as your suspension has camber plates. If they dont have them them you can buy cheap camber bolts. depends how low your dropping the front though

i dont have camber plates, just the pillow ball adjustability atop the coilover
Old 01-11-2019, 12:16 PM   #20
IronGumby
05 Type S RH Reflash LSD

IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Quote:

When you raise up the car, dropping the hubs down lower, the tie rods are no longer horizontal and are now pointing down. This brings in out? the tow, as the distance from the steering rack and a straight hub is now longer. Shorter?

When you drop the car, the same thing happens. The tie rods are no longer horizontal and are now pointing upwards. This again brings in out? the tow for the same reason as above.

I think what you say makes sense but the solution is the opposite to what you're thinking, because if you bend them "longer" wouldn't you need to thread in more to resolve the tow? This is why you'd eventually need shorter tie rods, once you run out of threading them in. Maybe? I speak with little experience but just thinking about the situation (and why K_Tuned offers shorter ones)
Old 01-11-2019, 06:49 PM   #21
dustyboner
Vaginal Lubrication Tech

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthr...entre-adjuster

Old 01-14-2019, 09:11 AM   #22
marko16

Simple, if you lower the car, the suspension swivels in a bit as it travels on an arc--double wishbone doesn't do this, single rsx pivot does. If you keep the same setting, your car will toe in as it pushes on the backside of the strut. As you lower you need to adjust inward to get correct toe back out. If you go too low you need a shorter inner rod or shorter tie end. Moderate lowering is fine, but past a point--you'd know because you can't get enough toe out, you need shorter something.
Old 01-14-2019, 12:51 PM   #23
IronGumby
05 Type S RH Reflash LSD

IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by marko16 View Post
Simple, if you lower the car, the suspension swivels in a bit as it travels on an arc--double wishbone doesn't do this, single rsx pivot does. If you keep the same setting, your car will toe in as it pushes on the backside of the strut. As you lower you need to adjust inward to get correct toe back out. If you go too low you need a shorter inner rod or shorter tie end. Moderate lowering is fine, but past a point--you'd know because you can't get enough toe out, you need shorter something.
exactly what I was thinking, but said so much better!
Old 01-14-2019, 05:23 PM   #24
marko16

So the other thing is, you'll get some neg camber as you lower. The rear seems more than the front. I didn't notice much up front but the back had more, perhaps a tighter pivot, or the rear strut was lower. They are Ksport and maybe I just didn't lower the front as much, looked fine as these normally look lower in the back, or maybe like me, the front should go down a bit? My new one came with F&F and is low. The previous needed shorter rod ends and it rubs here and there even rolled.