Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

9 psi boost clutch recommendation?

3K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Dickbowlmidz 
#1 ·
just bought a JRSC and need to upgrade the stock clutch. i've read all the countless pages of 10 year old threads on clutch recommendations, and it seems (at least a while ago) that most guys go with a stage 2 for this level of boost.

my desire is reliable clutch/trans operation, and reasonable clutch pedal effort. it's a DD and will likely never see a drag strip. on the other hand, i'll be really disappointed if she slips in 3rd gear at full boost.

is the Competition Clutch Stage 2 a good choice? they claim "40% higher clamp load" which should translate to that much higher torque capacity. might be on the edge of being enough.

the next step up is a Stage 4 Sprung at "250% increase", for only a little more money. it's a 6 puck design. any feedback on this?

thanks!

#2 ·
Depends on what you want, but click the link in my signature for what I have...

I had a Competition Clutch stg 1.5 with 11 pound flywheel for 2+ years pushing 9psi. I swapped for an exedy organic race now (I didn't have too, plenty of life left)... Both have been great for my setup

#3 ·
my desire is reliable clutch/trans operation, and reasonable clutch pedal effort. it's a DD and will likely never see a drag strip. on the other hand, i'll be really disappointed if she slips in 3rd gear at full boost.
^^ that's what i want.

wouldn't have thought that a stage 1.5 would be enough (it's 0.5 less than a stg 2 lol). the CC site doesnt even seem to have info on its specs, but kseriesparts has the following note:
kseriesparts.com said:
Stage 1.5 Description
The economical solution for moderately modified cars or simply aggressive individuals with stock power. Offers 40-50% increase in torque capacity and maintains stock pedal feel. 300 mile break-in recommended with this set-up.

DO NOT use with added turbo or supercharger.
interestingly, the kseriesparts website states for a stage 2
kseriesparts.com said:
Stage 2 Description
This assembly provides approximately 80% increase in torque capacity and is properly suited for aggressive street use and moderate track use.
(as compared to 40% more clamping force on the CC site). 80% surely would be enough for a 9 psi application, i'd think.

still interested in actual feedback...

#4 ·
1.5 was fine for me and felt stock. I'd recommend the stg 2 as well based on what I've heard/read, but I never personally used it in this application.

This is what I have today: https://www.kseriesparts.com/cr/EXE-08806.html

No issues at all and feels great

#7 ·
Keep us updated on how this clutch holds up. I plan on upgrading my stock clutch pretty soon and I can't decide between the stage 2 or stage 4. 9psi JRSC wit supporting mods, DD car and occasional track use.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.