Just bought an 02 rsx type s..first mods? - Club RSX Message Board
Go Back   Club RSX Message Board > PERFORMANCE BASICS RSX > Bolt-On Basics: RSX Type-S
Use the same user name on Club RSX, Club EP3, and Club ILX!

Old 04-15-2019, 02:38 PM   #1
andezack

andezack is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx andezack is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx andezack is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx andezack is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx andezack is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx andezack is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx andezack is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx andezack is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Just bought an 02 rsx type s..first mods?

Hey so like I said I just picked up an 02 rsx type s...car has an aftermarket exhaust already. When it comes to adding hp..how much hp do you think I could gain if I put in some new cams, header, etc I understand it will be limited but hey if I can achieve 220whp I’ll be happy
andezack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2019, 05:20 PM   #2
reddirtross

reddirtross is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx reddirtross is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx reddirtross is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx reddirtross is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx reddirtross is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx reddirtross is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx reddirtross is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx reddirtross is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by andezack View Post
Hey so like I said I just picked up an 02 rsx type s...car has an aftermarket exhaust already. When it comes to adding hp..how much hp do you think I could gain if I put in some new cams, header, etc I understand it will be limited but hey if I can achieve 220whp Ill be happy
Congrats on your purchase. I look forward to following your thread to see what progress you are getting to make on your RSX.
reddirtross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 08:23 PM   #3
maybecatchfire
lurker status

maybecatchfire is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
no need for cams, but you do need kpro. i/h/e and intake mani and im at 220whp. i also suggest suspension, rear sway bar, motor mounts at a minimum instead of the cams.
maybecatchfire is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-17-2019, 02:03 PM   #4
andezack

andezack is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx andezack is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx andezack is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx andezack is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx andezack is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx andezack is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx andezack is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx andezack is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
I watched a video that for a k20a2 an aftermarket intake manifold would decrease hp . So far the car has an exhaust. So how much hp could I get if I do bolt ons with a cam. Of course I would have a KPro. My hp goal is to be at like 230-235whp
Old 04-17-2019, 02:22 PM   #5
Kevink121
#Inkpot

Kevink121 is a glorious c-rsx member Kevink121 is a glorious c-rsx member Kevink121 is a glorious c-rsx member Kevink121 is a glorious c-rsx member Kevink121 is a glorious c-rsx member Kevink121 is a glorious c-rsx member Kevink121 is a glorious c-rsx member Kevink121 is a glorious c-rsx member Kevink121 is a glorious c-rsx member Kevink121 is a glorious c-rsx member Kevink121 is a glorious c-rsx member Kevink121 is a glorious c-rsx member Kevink121 is a glorious c-rsx member Kevink121 is a glorious c-rsx member Kevink121 is a glorious c-rsx member
I'd forget about cams until you have everything else sorted.

Grats on the new car btw.

- Intake You will want the intake eventually, you might as well buy it first and get associated with your engine bay a bit. The short ram one is fine, in my opinion. Whatever the ebay ones are are fine too, really, for like $30 bucks. Youll just replace the filter when you get around to it rather than clean it.

- Exhaust You say it has exhaust but not exactly what exhaust it has. You'll want to get after a race header and catback. If you have both of those already, great.

- Kpro/RBC intake manifold This is where you'll start opening up the power. You can buy/run the Kpro first but if you're doing the rbc eventually, you'll be paying for two tunes. Doing these at the same time is ideal.

After those, in that order, you should be putting out around 210-220hp w/t 150-160tq with a much more satisfying car. In a straight line anyways. If after that, you feel like you need more, you'll probably find that spending money on cams or any additional NA engine stuff is pointless and start looking at reasonably conservative turbo builds.

Hopefully you throw on a half decent set of coilovers, wheels and tires in there as well.

Good luck in your endeavors
Old 04-17-2019, 04:21 PM   #6
BrutalB83
WILDCARD!

BrutalB83 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx BrutalB83 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx BrutalB83 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx BrutalB83 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx BrutalB83 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx BrutalB83 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx BrutalB83 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx BrutalB83 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx BrutalB83 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by andezack View Post
I watched a video that for a k20a2 an aftermarket intake manifold would decrease hp.
Sounds totally legit.
BrutalB83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 06:40 PM   #7
nikm1019

nikm1019 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx nikm1019 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx nikm1019 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx nikm1019 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx nikm1019 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx nikm1019 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx nikm1019 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx nikm1019 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevink121 View Post
I'd forget about cams until you have everything else sorted.

Grats on the new car btw.

- Intake You will want the intake eventually, you might as well buy it first and get associated with your engine bay a bit. The short ram one is fine, in my opinion. Whatever the ebay ones are are fine too, really, for like $30 bucks. Youll just replace the filter when you get around to it rather than clean it.

- Exhaust You say it has exhaust but not exactly what exhaust it has. You'll want to get after a race header and catback. If you have both of those already, great.

- Kpro/RBC intake manifold This is where you'll start opening up the power. You can buy/run the Kpro first but if you're doing the rbc eventually, you'll be paying for two tunes. Doing these at the same time is ideal.

After those, in that order, you should be putting out around 210-220hp w/t 150-160tq with a much more satisfying car. In a straight line anyways. If after that, you feel like you need more, you'll probably find that spending money on cams or any additional NA engine stuff is pointless and start looking at reasonably conservative turbo builds.

Hopefully you throw on a half decent set of coilovers, wheels and tires in there as well.

Good luck in your endeavors

Pretty solid advice IMO. Id say kpro right away but what he said about saving and getting tuned once makes sense too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nikm1019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 04:31 PM   #8
andezack

Ok so I looked around the car a little bit. The brand of the exhaust is called “medallion” it also appears the car already has headers. It looked like the stereotypical header wrapped in heat wrap. So when it comes to intakes buying a cheap one will work fine? I’m seeing some that are 200-300 bucks but if a 50 dollar one works I’ll just go with that. Also for the intake manifold, could I just go with the skunk2 pro? Lastly, dumb question but where the hell is the ECU located?? Sorry I have so many questions lol
Old 04-22-2019, 08:50 AM   #9
Kevink121
#Inkpot

Kevink121 is a glorious c-rsx member Kevink121 is a glorious c-rsx member Kevink121 is a glorious c-rsx member Kevink121 is a glorious c-rsx member Kevink121 is a glorious c-rsx member Kevink121 is a glorious c-rsx member Kevink121 is a glorious c-rsx member Kevink121 is a glorious c-rsx member Kevink121 is a glorious c-rsx member Kevink121 is a glorious c-rsx member Kevink121 is a glorious c-rsx member Kevink121 is a glorious c-rsx member Kevink121 is a glorious c-rsx member Kevink121 is a glorious c-rsx member Kevink121 is a glorious c-rsx member
No worries.

Your exhaust is the Tanabe Medallio, I remember those being pretty reputable.
https://www.kseriesparts.com/TAN-T70046.html

Yeah expensive intakes are a rip off in my opinion. They might use a better filter but just try not to drive through a sand storm or piles of ashes or other things you'll never likely see on the road. Replace the filter with something more reputable when you get a chance for like ~$20 bucks.

For the intake manifold, it would probably be easier to find/buy the skunk manifold vs finding a cut and prepped RBC. Just make sure to use the Hondata manifold gasket. I forget if you need anything to adapt the throttle body to that. Could just do a bigger throttle body at the same time to match the inlet of the manifold.

I believe its under the dash on the passenger side, but that would've been an easy search