Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

K20a3 To K20a2 crankshaft swap

8K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  Cjones5050 
#1 ·
Hey I have a quick question,

Building a turbo K20a3 obviously. Would I be better off balancing the beefy ass rods, pistons, and wrist pins to my stock a3 crankshaft ( since I know it's not balanced from the factory ) or just getting a good used a2 crank and rods, pistons, and pins instead?

I know the bottom end internals are different but I'm just asking for a better durability standpoint at higher RPM's.

Any help would be loved!

#8 · (Edited)
When i had ERL build my homies a3 and swap to an a2 crank it ended up being around $5600 with extras.

Erl super deck w/ darton sleeves
New k20a2 crank
Calico coated ACL race bearings
Je 86.5mm 9.0:1 pistons with skirt and tops coated
Manley turbo tuff rods
Erl s2k oil pump with chain and tensioner
K24 oil pan

For the top end, got a used k20a2 head, added 1mm oversized valves and dual valve springs. Not sure what that cost cause my homie took care of all that.
All together without the turbo parts it had to be close to $9k
Turbo stuff was around another $5k

Your better off going with a setup like i had for years. Stock k20a2 head on a stock k24a4 block with a k20a2 oil pump. I was making a little over 400hp on 9.5psi.
With a good tune it will handle 400-450hp no problem, the tranny not so much. Just dont rev it too high or run too much cam angle. Not sure what the limit for those are but i set my rev limit to 7200rpms (shifted at 7k) and never set the vtc over 30. I got around 40,000 miles (of abuse) on the motor but then the bolts for the turbo manifold loosened up and melted the wires on the Vtec assembly. It caused the vtec to stay engauged. When it happened i tried to make it home and drove it like an old lady which is the opposite of what i should of done. If i would have kept the rpms high it would of had enough oil pressure to not completly fuck up the motor.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.