What components are you running up front? - Club RSX Message Board
Go Back   Club RSX Message Board > STYLE RSX > Car Audio, Security, & Electronics RSX
Use the same user name on Club RSX, Club EP3, and Club ILX!

Old 02-05-2018, 02:37 PM   #1
troye
Been Around for a while

troye is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
What components are you running up front?

Looking for recommendations, I am still on the fence.

I am running a new hu, amp, etc..

Price Range: $150-$550.00

Last edited by troye; 02-05-2018 at 02:41 PM..
troye is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2018, 02:05 PM   #2
troye
Been Around for a while

This forum is so dead. I guess everyone is spending more time and attention to other mods
Old 02-07-2018, 11:34 AM   #3
troye
Been Around for a while

Bump

Old 02-07-2018, 11:40 AM   #4
d.stevenson

d.stevenson might be well recognized one day on c-rsx d.stevenson might be well recognized one day on c-rsx d.stevenson might be well recognized one day on c-rsx d.stevenson might be well recognized one day on c-rsx d.stevenson might be well recognized one day on c-rsx d.stevenson might be well recognized one day on c-rsx d.stevenson might be well recognized one day on c-rsx d.stevenson might be well recognized one day on c-rsx
i got some alpine type r components and alpine amp if you're interested
d.stevenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 11:56 AM   #5
rizz

rizz is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx rizz is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx rizz is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx rizz is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx rizz is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx rizz is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx rizz is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx rizz is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx rizz is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Im running kenwood front hu navi double din, 4 way alpine speakers for front and rear powered by 4 way alpine and ....mono 1200 watt digital amp to sealed 15 kicker subwoofer sounds good to me!.....clear vocals and deep bass is that what you are looking for?
rizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 02:38 AM   #6
troye
Been Around for a while

What type R components?

4 way alpine speakers? Wow! Clear Vocals, good migrange and tight Bass...crisp good sound.

I am "all over the place" I was going to pull the trigger on Memphis VIV @ $5 bones, but I am doing so many other projects on the car and maybe the Kenwood double din which supports their new dash cam - long way of saying I am not sure I want to drop 5 bills on front components, but dayum they sound nice!

So I am looking around the $300.00 range now. Focal, JBL, and a few others I am open
Old 02-08-2018, 03:28 PM   #7
OliverV

OliverV is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx OliverV is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx OliverV is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx OliverV is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx OliverV is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx OliverV is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx OliverV is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx OliverV is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
i have a simple set.
this: http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=848138

and in the FN2 civic, i have also the Pioneer DEH80PRS headunit, Pioneer E-series splits in front, Audison LRX4.5 to fire them up and for bass a Pioneer TS-W252PRS with Audison LRX2.9 amp.
full noise deadening aswell plus quality wiring from different companies like Supra, Gladen and Audison/Connection.

hope that helps.
OliverV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 03:45 PM   #8
Locotony
The Audio Guru

Locotony might be well recognized one day on c-rsx Locotony might be well recognized one day on c-rsx Locotony might be well recognized one day on c-rsx Locotony might be well recognized one day on c-rsx Locotony might be well recognized one day on c-rsx Locotony might be well recognized one day on c-rsx
Well see my signature, but prior to that in my RSX I ran a DIY 3-way setup with SEAS midbasses and tweeters from madisound and cdt HD-4 midranges in custom kickpanels
Illusion Audio Carbon C6 Comps
Precision Power Phantom 900.4 and 1000.1
2 - 12 inch Acoustic Elegance IB12AU Subs
Locotony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 10:05 PM   #9
troye
Been Around for a while

Oliver, wow that is quite the nice job you did. I bet it sounds excellent! I am going to do some sound deadening but not to that extent. How do you like Hertz? It's a long story but short version is I went into a stereo shop and listened to three different models. I wasn't impressed and as I walked out I listened to their kicker components for $200.00 and they sounded great.

I think their Hertz demo station was not in good shape. I keep reading a lot of folks are running them.
Old 02-09-2018, 08:28 AM   #10
Locotony
The Audio Guru

Locotony might be well recognized one day on c-rsx Locotony might be well recognized one day on c-rsx Locotony might be well recognized one day on c-rsx Locotony might be well recognized one day on c-rsx Locotony might be well recognized one day on c-rsx Locotony might be well recognized one day on c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by troye View Post
Oliver, wow that is quite the nice job you did. I bet it sounds excellent! I am going to do some sound deadening but not to that extent. How do you like Hertz? It's a long story but short version is I went into a stereo shop and listened to three different models. I wasn't impressed and as I walked out I listened to their kicker components for $200.00 and they sounded great.

I think their Hertz demo station was not in good shape. I keep reading a lot of folks are running them.
Depends on what you are gearing up for and what you are used to hearing, Kickers comps are more geared to a basspounder type crowd with a higher sensitivity and are built expecting to be abused but can sound very good when EQ'ed properly, Hertz are much more geared towards sound quality and from past experience will say they like a lot of clean power to sound right usually min 100-125 watts a side RMS. If you want something kinda in between the 2 the Sundown Audio SA-6.5 CS V.2s, JBL Stadium GTO600C or the Image Dynamics CXS64 V2 are good choices and won't break the bank that much but run in the 250-340 range.
Old 02-09-2018, 04:04 PM   #11
troye
Been Around for a while

Thanks Loco, I am not going for the basspounding, I want a good clean sound. Hertz...which model would it be around the 400-500? I believe it is the HSK for around $300.00. I really want to like the Hertz and firmly believe the stereo shop demo system is terrible and that is why I was not impressed. For kicker to sound better than the medium and top of the line you know something has got to be up.

I will definitely check out these other brands, there is a local shop in town which carries the JBL, not sure about Sundown or Image Dynamics..they do carry the Memphis which I really enjoyed!

MSRP on Sundowns is close to 5 bills.

Last edited by troye; 02-09-2018 at 04:07 PM..
Old 02-10-2018, 04:15 AM   #12
OliverV

OliverV is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx OliverV is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx OliverV is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx OliverV is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx OliverV is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx OliverV is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx OliverV is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx OliverV is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Quote:

i would say, because i have heard and owned the Hertz different setups, but to the RSX i put straight the Mille series because all other dieci, energy, hi-energy(mille pro now), are just a bit too entry level.

first i wanted a 4-way network but changed my mind to 3-way and it is not bad in a small car like the RSX is.

Mille is loud and clear, even with the heavy damping/installation of the door what i have the midbass sounds very stunning! ofcourse upgraded to the midbass Mille Legend, that is really good.

but all depends on your amplifiers too, as i work as a installer, the new amps what we got in this part of the world are so noisy and a bit cold.. but i got lucky in the RSX

just remember, you are doing it for yourself and once properly made is long time happy music. no stress for re-installing or not the desired sound. the demo stands are a bit so-so on listening to the things.

but would reccomend Pioneer PRS series splits or the new Z series!
Old 02-12-2018, 08:51 AM   #13
Locotony
The Audio Guru

Quote:
Thanks Loco, I am not going for the basspounding, I want a good clean sound. Hertz...which model would it be around the 400-500? I believe it is the HSK for around $300.00. I really want to like the Hertz and firmly believe the stereo shop demo system is terrible and that is why I was not impressed. For kicker to sound better than the medium and top of the line you know something has got to be up.

I will definitely check out these other brands, there is a local shop in town which carries the JBL, not sure about Sundown or Image Dynamics..they do carry the Memphis which I really enjoyed!

MSRP on Sundowns is close to 5 bills.
I generally don't buy at shops anymore but I worked as an installer from off and on from 86-94 and usually will either buy direct from mfg on items I can or I may know a guy or 2 over on DIYMA that can point me to a person that will sell me what I need and until 2 years ago the guy that owned the shop I used to work at would bootleg stuff for me.

Shops are still a necessity for people that cannot DIY but are becoming more and more about integration and selling what will work properly in that vehicle, esp with newer vehicles, My SI is still somewhat easy to deal with integration and an RSX is even easier, but my 2017 Silverado I need a 1K kit to do what I want to do and that is pretty much keeping me from building a system in it. I got to hand it to a gut like Oliver that is still working in the industry as it is not like it was in the old days when I could slam 7-8 deck and 4's out the door every day now it might take a day to do a single small upgrade in a newer vehicle.
Old 02-14-2018, 11:26 AM   #14
troye
Been Around for a while

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locotony View Post
I generally don't buy at shops anymore but I worked as an installer from off and on from 86-94 and usually will either buy direct from mfg on items I can or I may know a guy or 2 over on DIYMA that can point me to a person that will sell me what I need and until 2 years ago the guy that owned the shop I used to work at would bootleg stuff for me.

Shops are still a necessity for people that cannot DIY but are becoming more and more about integration and selling what will work properly in that vehicle, esp with newer vehicles, My SI is still somewhat easy to deal with integration and an RSX is even easier, but my 2017 Silverado I need a 1K kit to do what I want to do and that is pretty much keeping me from building a system in it. I got to hand it to a gut like Oliver that is still working in the industry as it is not like it was in the old days when I could slam 7-8 deck and 4's out the door every day now it might take a day to do a single small upgrade in a newer vehicle.
I am for the most part DIY. The last setup I did was in my 1998 Type R and that was 17 years ago. If I could go straight to the manufacturer I would also do that, but since I am just a mere mortal I try to get the best price on line from a well known reputable source. Gone are the Circuit City's and most other box stores where I can demo the speakers, now it is finding the small shops and giving them a try there.

I completely get the integration aspect of things. That is one of the characteristics I really enjoy about the RSX - It is RAW. Nothing fancy, just car. So I can add a decent car stereo with no issues. My Mini Cooper JCW on the other hand, has a "great" Harman Kardon setup which works just fine for me and I have no plans to touch it.

Crazy but I can see how it is one day for an upgrade in a single vehicle, and people wonder why it is so expensive. It's costing me a pretty penny for mid end equipment I am doing, complete re-wire, camera installation, custom tweeter mount, "dynamat" etc... I could not imagine paying for this, it would be way to expensive

Bootleg or if you know someone is the way to go, but most of us do not have that access. Now if you are Oliver and work in the shop and have the hookups that is the ultimate. You have everything at your fingertips and at a good price!
Old 02-14-2018, 11:43 AM   #15
troye
Been Around for a while

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverV View Post
i would say, because i have heard and owned the Hertz different setups, but to the RSX i put straight the Mille series because all other dieci, energy, hi-energy(mille pro now), are just a bit too entry level.

first i wanted a 4-way network but changed my mind to 3-way and it is not bad in a small car like the RSX is.

Mille is loud and clear, even with the heavy damping/installation of the door what i have the midbass sounds very stunning! ofcourse upgraded to the midbass Mille Legend, that is really good.

but all depends on your amplifiers too, as i work as a installer, the new amps what we got in this part of the world are so noisy and a bit cold.. but i got lucky in the RSX

just remember, you are doing it for yourself and once properly made is long time happy music. no stress for re-installing or not the desired sound. the demo stands are a bit so-so on listening to the things.

but would recommend Pioneer PRS series splits or the new Z series!
Thanks for the recommendations. Yes DIY, but my wallet is not always so full so I have to decide where to spend my money. But I get your point, do it right regardless of whatever you are installing. This is how I do things and is why now I have sound deadened the rear of the car, and finishing the doors and back seat today.

Mille...i bet those sound good. I was pretty much set on Memphis VIV, and then my wallet shrunk a little and I decided at least for now to scale back some so I started looking at other options. Without even listening to them I ordered the Pioneer Z series based on your recommendation. I ordered from Crutchfield and have 60 days to return. I have no plans to return unless they totally suck as I do not want to remove my door panels anymore, etc...

My guess is that I will really like them, #1 because of your recommendation and #2 I did read a few articles on them and the reviews are very good! #3 They are a new product line

I am doing a decent setup, but maybe by your standards it is like a super low budget entry level, but for my needs should be okay, it will be much better than stock in any case!

Head Unit - Kenwood DNX573SSKU
Amp - Alpine - PDX Series 1600W Class D 5 Channel
Rear Speakers - JBL GX602
Front Speakers - Pioneer TS-Z65CH
4 gauge Power & Ground Wire
New speaker wire
Sound Deadening - Rear Trunk, Rear Seat & Front Doors
Remote Bass - Installed Alpine remote bass knob in coin tray
Sub Woofer - For now I am going to mess around with the Bose in the trunk and power it from either the hu or the amp - Then I will utilize and old Bazooka Tube and put a new woofer in it, and final will be purchasing a custom molded sub woofer enclosure finally
Old 02-25-2018, 10:24 AM   #16
OliverV

oo, nice to hear that you ordered these! after settle'ing in, i hope these will sound very decent.
what or how many layers are you installing noise deadening in the doors? i hope you make a plywood(not mdf) speaker ring for the new speakers

so as i see, you will run the speakers passive. tweeter in the oem spot then? i personally would not bother with rear speakers unless you drive around with a crowd all the time - i dont know your preference.

power the sub with the external amp. if you have time, swap out the wiring too for it. make it proper, even for that the item is not something huge! it will make a difference.

hope to see some pictures here too about the install.
Old 02-25-2018, 12:37 PM   #17
troye
Been Around for a while

Hello OliverV,
Good to hear from you. I will be posting pictures / build in another thread this week once I am done.

For sound deadening I used Dynamat Extreme ($$$)to start, then switched to the Nico .80 mil.($$) I did the doors and everything from rear quarter panels back to trunk. I did not do the individual plastics

Speaker ring - I just used the universal plastic ones that comes with the speakers. Is it a big difference to make the same from plywood? If so I will do that.

I also ordered some FAST rings, but have not installed them yet. I will remove the panels again today hopefully to install. I read these work quite well, they were not expensive so let's see how well they sound

I put some cheaper kickers in the rear instead of the JBL's. A little filler for the rear but usually no passengers.

I did swap all wiring, including the sub woofer. Currently powering the tiny stock sub from my amp. I am going to retrofit a new 6.5" sub in the original bose box once it arrives. I know it is not the best bass experience, but I am very surprised at how well even the stock subwoofer (if you want to call it that!) sounds. So I am hopeful I can get the Memphis sounding much better

No tweeters in the oem spot, that would be too much work and the sound is not the best bouncing off of the windshield! I fabricated the A-pillars and they are sitting in there.

I have not used the system very much and I need to tune it! That will take a lot of time, no DSP -although I might do this in the future). The hu has a ton of settings for crossovers and so does the amp. But with just a little time the Pioneer's are already sounding very good.
Old 03-05-2018, 07:32 AM   #18
Hatefish

Hatefish is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Hatefish is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Hatefish is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Hatefish is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Hatefish is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Hatefish is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Hatefish is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Hatefish is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Go pioneer on head unit, audiopipe amps...subs... american bass,audiopipe, or type r if you can find them for a great price. But spend money on getting a box built instead of buying shit boxes.. My audio set up is a lot to list...
Hatefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 03:13 PM   #19
troye
Been Around for a while

Thread is "what components are you running" lol, I already have my setup..amps, subs, etc...
as far as Sub Box I am will pickup the custom box by Wicked C.A.S