To Golf or to Forte? - Club RSX Message Board
Go Back   Club RSX Message Board > OTHER CARS > Auto Talk
Use the same user name on Club RSX, Club EP3, and Club ILX!

Old 09-29-2015, 05:57 PM   #1
NoUse4aName
RSXDriver thrice removed

NoUse4aName is on a distinguished road
To Golf or to Forte?

So I'm in the market for a "warm" hatch. I've driven them all and have come down to a '15 Golf TSI S or the Kia Forte5 SX, both with a manual. Both can be had around $18,800 with model year end incentives(both dealers wanting me to sign papers by tomorrow for month end of course).

I used to own a 2010 Autobahn GTI and I worry about comparing the Golf to that mostly interior wise. Living in a bigger city now with more traffic and not as much opportunity to stretch the legs I'm not too concerned about the reduced performance.

Both cars fit me very well at 6'7 with a little extra legroom in the Kia. That alone eliminated a lot of the competition for me. In SX trim the Forte5 is obviously meant to be a GTI competitor, 200hp, 6 speed, lots of features. The Golf being the base trim is a more spartan driving experience but it is a slightly better one.

Though my MK6 was my favorite car that I've owned to date it was also the least reliable. Just minor issues but it was to the point that coworkers were making comments like "in a loaner again eh?". So the Kia with its warranty is enticing though I've read depending on the dealer it can be a battle for them to cover things.

Am I nuts for considering the Kia? They sure have come a long way. Golfs are all over the place here, but the Forte hatch especially with the turbo would be very rare. Which makes it hard to find info about them, parts, etc as well.

http://www.topgear.com/car-news/hot-...vs-vw-golf-gti

Last edited by NoUse4aName; 09-29-2015 at 06:02 PM..
NoUse4aName is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2015, 06:14 PM   #2
KickedIn

KickedIn is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx KickedIn is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx KickedIn is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx KickedIn is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx KickedIn is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx KickedIn is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx KickedIn is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx KickedIn is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
My buddy had the Forte Koupe Turbo, it was really nice. It felt a little dull, like all new cars, but it performed well.
KickedIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 10:21 PM   #3
mallen600
Pancakes

mallen600 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mallen600 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mallen600 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mallen600 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mallen600 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mallen600 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mallen600 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mallen600 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mallen600 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Just road in my buddies Forte5 this weekend hiking in the mountains. It handled extremely well, had plenty room for 3 fat kids and their hiking gear, and he hasn't been able to tear it up yet. He's the kind of guy that can fuck up an anvil with a rubber mallet, so that says something about the new Kias.
TN CREW #6[/B]ABP Crew Member #79[/B]
Zombie Eradication Team #68
BB Crew
***PIC OF BUFFALO HERE***
mallen600 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-30-2015, 12:28 AM   #4
NoUse4aName
RSXDriver thrice removed

Well there's a pickle. Turned up a new '15 Golf TSI S that the dealer a couple hours away has it advertised as $3k off for just under $16.7k! That may seal the deal right there.
Old 09-30-2015, 08:46 AM   #5
overlap king
Lick it or Flick it

overlap king is a name not to mess with overlap king is a name not to mess with overlap king is a name not to mess with overlap king is a name not to mess with overlap king is a name not to mess with overlap king is a name not to mess with overlap king is a name not to mess with overlap king is a name not to mess with overlap king is a name not to mess with overlap king is a name not to mess with overlap king is a name not to mess with overlap king is a name not to mess with overlap king is a name not to mess with overlap king is a name not to mess with overlap king is a name not to mess with overlap king is a name not to mess with overlap king is a name not to mess with
Cool thing about kia is that they don't have any engineers on staff. They just buy patents and the best engineered parts from other auto manufacturers... pretty cool business plan. Keeps costs down by using the money they would pay an engineer salary wise to develop something, instead they just spend a one time fee on buying the rights to use already proven parts. Basically if you own a kia you own a Frankenstein of the best and most reliable parts from every car on the road, with just a kia designed body.

[SIGPIC]http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q140/surfbig247/cp3_zpscxhn294t.png[/SIGPIC]
ThePremSocietyHotWhiteGFKrewHotTeaKrewTheGoodBlokeKrew
overlap king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 11:43 AM   #6
NoUse4aName
RSXDriver thrice removed

Not sure what sort of tunes are out there for the Forte. A simple stage 1 for the Golf gets it 251hp/298tq which is a heck of a lot of performance for $17k.
http://www.goapr.com/products/ecu_up..._gen3_mqb.html
Old 09-30-2015, 09:19 PM   #7
NoUse4aName
RSXDriver thrice removed

Ended up surprising myself and going with the Forte. Worked the price down to $17.5k and that was just too good a deal to pass up. Gotta love month end+model year end dealing.
http://imgur.com/a/ro4Sj

Now what to do about those flower wheels...

Old 10-01-2015, 10:12 AM   #8
overlap king
Lick it or Flick it

overlap king is a name not to mess with overlap king is a name not to mess with overlap king is a name not to mess with overlap king is a name not to mess with overlap king is a name not to mess with overlap king is a name not to mess with overlap king is a name not to mess with overlap king is a name not to mess with overlap king is a name not to mess with overlap king is a name not to mess with overlap king is a name not to mess with overlap king is a name not to mess with overlap king is a name not to mess with overlap king is a name not to mess with overlap king is a name not to mess with overlap king is a name not to mess with overlap king is a name not to mess with
They look better than the si flower wheels imo.

on the new car. Hope you it treats you well!

[SIGPIC]http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q140/surfbig247/cp3_zpscxhn294t.png[/SIGPIC]
ThePremSocietyHotWhiteGFKrewHotTeaKrewTheGoodBlokeKrew
overlap king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 09:46 AM   #9
CyborgGT
Master Member

CyborgGT is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx CyborgGT is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx CyborgGT is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx CyborgGT is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx CyborgGT is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx CyborgGT is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx CyborgGT is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx CyborgGT is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx CyborgGT is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Lol, off topic, but I'm itching to know if you got your screen name from the punk band...
Old 10-26-2015, 10:45 AM   #10
NoUse4aName
RSXDriver thrice removed

Yep. Good stuff. Shame about Tony.
Old 10-27-2015, 09:51 PM   #11
CyborgGT
Master Member

CyborgGT is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx CyborgGT is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx CyborgGT is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx CyborgGT is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx CyborgGT is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx CyborgGT is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx CyborgGT is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx CyborgGT is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx CyborgGT is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
God I miss the '90s...
Old 01-20-2016, 06:52 PM   #12
keikdasneek
STEALTH S

keikdasneek is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
>Kia

Loved my mk7, but with the two door the wind noise when the windows down was very harsh, even with window visors.

Congrats on your pickup though.
keikdasneek is offline   Reply With Quote