which are some of the quieter exhausts that people may run on an s/c set-up? - Club RSX Message Board
Go Back   Club RSX Message Board > PERFORMANCE BASICS RSX > Supercharging RSX
Use the same user name on Club RSX, Club EP3, and Club ILX!

Old 05-17-2013, 10:52 AM   #1
shadezofgrey

shadezofgrey is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
which are some of the quieter exhausts that people may run on an s/c set-up?

Hey everyone,

At the moment I'm running an 05-06 type-s exhaust (for the sake of having a fairly quiet dd) on an s/c set-up but am wanting to move to a more free flowing exhaust with an ID of 2.5" or greater (for the sake of letting the engine breathe more effectively). The majority of the time I'm just puttering around in stop and go traffic, so what I would like is an exhaust that is fairly quiet/comparable to the stock exhaust when just cruising around town/on the highway yet will allow the engine to breathe more easily when I'm going wot. Accordingly I'm just wondering if people on the forums have any suggestions?

So far I've looked at things like the buddy club spec 2, but that seems to be on the suuuuper loud side of things.

Likewise, given that the rsx is now an older platform I'm wondering where do people purchase their exhausts from/where can they find them in stock?

*edit: another thought I'm having is would it be advisable to buy an aftermarket muffler and go to an exhaust shop to have 'em throw something together for me? I'm leaning towards just finding a premade aftermarket exhaust for the sake of time/cost, but would this be worth considering?

Thanks in advance for any replies!

Last edited by shadezofgrey; 05-17-2013 at 10:58 AM..
shadezofgrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2013, 12:13 PM   #2
Fight'n 3rd
mod bug got me

Fight'n 3rd is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Fight'n 3rd is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Fight'n 3rd is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Fight'n 3rd is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Fight'n 3rd is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Fight'n 3rd is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Fight'n 3rd is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Fight'n 3rd is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Fight'n 3rd is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
One of the most popular quieter exhaust is the Invidia q300 70mm. It has much more flow than stock and opens up at higher rpm. You can search in youtube for sound comparisons.
www.kseriesparts.com has everything you can think of for the rsx. Here is the link for the q300: http://www.kseriesparts.com/cr/INV-HS01AR1G3S.html

There is also an exhaust thread in the bolt on section found here:
http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=228923
Good luck choosing
Fight'n 3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 12:15 PM   #3
2010 admin

If it weren't for the race header, our cars would be almost quiet as stock. The blower is substantially quieter than your typical RBC manifold setup. If you are running a long-tube header, it's going to be loud no matter what.

Old 05-17-2013, 12:55 PM   #4
stwatson
Meth Blow Speed = my life

stwatson gets around and is known
stwatson gets around and is known stwatson gets around and is known stwatson gets around and is known stwatson gets around and is known stwatson gets around and is known stwatson gets around and is known stwatson gets around and is known stwatson gets around and is known stwatson gets around and is known stwatson gets around and is known
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010 admin View Post
If it weren't for the race header, our cars would be almost quiet as stock. The blower is substantially quieter than your typical RBC manifold setup. If you are running a long-tube header, it's going to be loud no matter what.

This is spot on. I've tried 3 or 4 different exhaust combos the what I have now resulted in the quietest while keeping flow high for power.

Custom mandrel bent 2.5" piping with a Hushpower muffler as my resonator and the Dynomax muffler as my final muffler. Yes thats two mufflers and its literally the only thing that can keep the drone from the headers down. The Dynomax muffler is what really cuts down on the drone from an exhaust standpoint. Your other options are sound deadening which is expensive and a pain in the butt...and Im not sold on how well it works. With what I have I am comfortable taking 4+ hour drives so its good enough
13.0 @ 113mph (Traction is not my friend)
stwatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 01:12 PM   #5
TK-421
Master Member

TK-421 is a glorious c-rsx member TK-421 is a glorious c-rsx member TK-421 is a glorious c-rsx member TK-421 is a glorious c-rsx member TK-421 is a glorious c-rsx member TK-421 is a glorious c-rsx member TK-421 is a glorious c-rsx member TK-421 is a glorious c-rsx member TK-421 is a glorious c-rsx member TK-421 is a glorious c-rsx member TK-421 is a glorious c-rsx member TK-421 is a glorious c-rsx member TK-421 is a glorious c-rsx member TK-421 is a glorious c-rsx member TK-421 is a glorious c-rsx member
Quote:
Originally Posted by stwatson View Post

This is spot on. I've tried 3 or 4 different exhaust combos the what I have now resulted in the quietest while keeping flow high for power.

Custom mandrel bent 2.5" piping with a Hushpower muffler as my resonator and the Dynomax muffler as my final muffler. Yes thats two mufflers and its literally the only thing that can keep the drone from the headers down. The Dynomax muffler is what really cuts down on the drone from an exhaust standpoint. Your other options are sound deadening which is expensive and a pain in the butt...and Im not sold on how well it works. With what I have I am comfortable taking 4+ hour drives so its good enough

Except mine is custom mandrel bent 2.5" --> Hushpower --> Borla muffler. Couldn't be happier and wish I had discovered this before dropping over 1k on 2 previous exhausts.
Old 05-17-2013, 01:42 PM   #6
2010 admin

Just to put things into perspective. My motor (meaning the whole motor) is easily twice, if not 3X as loud with just the RBC manifold and cold air intake on it as with the blower. It's easy to forget just how loud an un-muffled intake pipe is and also, the lightweight intake manifold, itself, resonates in the same way that the exhaust header does and also seems to amplify the injector noise. The big, heavy blower and manifold muffle a lot of that sound.

Bottom line: I wish my car were as quiet as it was with the blower on it, so realy not much to complain about.
Old 05-17-2013, 01:54 PM   #7
nats007
Always on TDY...

nats007 is on a distinguished road nats007 is on a distinguished road
Garage
Concur with the gents above! I'm going custom 2.5” with an HP2 (same as hushpower) and dynomax super turbo muffler. Currently have 06 Type S exhaust, but its restricting flow causing boost to hit higher than it should.

The q300 is also an awesome aftermarket exhaust that is fairly quiet under normal load
nats007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 02:00 PM   #8
stwatson

stwatson gets around and is known stwatson gets around and is known stwatson gets around and is known stwatson gets around and is known stwatson gets around and is known stwatson gets around and is known stwatson gets around and is known stwatson gets around and is known stwatson gets around and is known stwatson gets around and is known
Quote:
Originally Posted by nats007 View Post
Concur with the gents above! I'm going custom 2.5 with an HP2 (same as hushpower) and dynomax super turbo muffler. Currently have 06 Type S exhaust, but its restricting flow causing boost to hit higher than it should.

The q300 is also an awesome aftermarket exhaust that is fairly quiet under normal load
I had the Greddy SP2 exhaust and that was very quiet and had a great tone...but that flow was just awful. I also saw an increase in boost (not a good increase) when using this exhaust.
Old 05-17-2013, 02:01 PM   #9
stwatson

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-421 View Post

Except mine is custom mandrel bent 2.5" --> Hushpower --> Borla muffler. Couldn't be happier and wish I had discovered this before dropping over 1k on 2 previous exhausts.
LOL...I actually had Borla first and it was GREAT! Unfortunately I drove to the beach and got salt water all over the exhaust and never washed the car and it rusted right through the muffler...fail.
Old 05-17-2013, 10:13 PM   #10
Surferboy
Been there & gone back

Surferboy is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Surferboy is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Surferboy is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Surferboy is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Surferboy is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Surferboy is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Surferboy is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Surferboy is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Surferboy is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by stwatson View Post

I am running the same exhaust setup plus the sound deadening and I LOVE my car. At least from inside the cab he he he its quiet as can be. The doors shut like a luxury car and I haven't heard drone in 5 years lol.
Surferboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 08:23 AM   #11
stwatson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surferboy View Post
I am running the same exhaust setup plus the sound deadening and I LOVE my car. At least from inside the cab he he he its quiet as can be. The doors shut like a luxury car and I haven't heard drone in 5 years lol.
I'd really like to ride in your car to see how much of a difference that makes. You are the only one I know that STANDS by this stuff where I've heard others say "ehhhh....". I've never had the chance to ride in one so I can't say either way.
Old 05-18-2013, 08:37 AM   #12
2010 admin

I think the final drive ratio and ergo, cruising rpm, has a lot to do with it. My car seems 2X as loud if I keep it in 5th, as opposed to shifting into 6th on the freeway. 4.30 FD, by the way.
Old 05-18-2013, 06:40 PM   #13
Surferboy
Been there & gone back

Surferboy is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Surferboy is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Surferboy is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Surferboy is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Surferboy is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Surferboy is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Surferboy is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Surferboy is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Surferboy is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010 admin View Post
I think the final drive ratio and ergo, cruising rpm, has a lot to do with it. My car seems 2X as loud if I keep it in 5th, as opposed to shifting into 6th on the freeway. 4.30 FD, by the way.
This does play a part in it all. I have always had the 4.7 with most my diff blower setups. I recently finished my 4.3 final with tsx 5&6 and I can say that with the sound deadening it super quiet. With the windows down its very quiet low K24 rpm but is very vocal when that bypass closes on teh SC. He he he.

Sam if you ever come to Dallas give me a shout anytime it would be nice to meet you after all these years.
Surferboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 02:27 PM   #14
kpro Joe
cheesin'

kpro Joe is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx kpro Joe is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx kpro Joe is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx kpro Joe is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx kpro Joe is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx kpro Joe is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx kpro Joe is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx kpro Joe is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx kpro Joe is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
i have a thermal r&d 3" exhaust and its pretty quite for 3". I havent installed my blower yet but i dont see why it would make the exhaust louder just hear the supercharger whine.
kpro Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:41 PM   #15
SLOWrsx_1969
Modding One Car Is Easy

SLOWrsx_1969 is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
I've had the Greddy Sp2 for about 6 years now, and I love the way it sounds. I'm at the point where the car is quick, but I'm fine with not reaching the upper-echelon of performance with it. I've found that once I made my mind up as to what my end-goal with the car was, the easier my decision was to sacrifice a little power.

1979 Chevrolet Pickup 1500 4x4 10" lift, 40" Boggers.
SLOWrsx_1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 10:29 PM   #16
1sickda

1sickda might be well recognized one day on c-rsx 1sickda might be well recognized one day on c-rsx 1sickda might be well recognized one day on c-rsx 1sickda might be well recognized one day on c-rsx 1sickda might be well recognized one day on c-rsx 1sickda might be well recognized one day on c-rsx 1sickda might be well recognized one day on c-rsx 1sickda might be well recognized one day on c-rsx
I have a hytech full out race header an hi flow cat
Apexi world sport exhaust an aem intake short ram 3"
An my car is so quiet at idle can't even hear it
An when I drive it sounds so quiet until you bang gears it sounds insane doesn't
Sound like any other rsx very deep almost like
350z or g 35 no lie best exhaust ever for our car
Ill never put anything else on my car
1sickda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 04:16 PM   #17
Mrjedi

Mrjedi is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
My two cents. After listening to dozens of exhausts on the youtubes, I went for the Fujitsubo RM01A with a race header. It has a deep sound, unlike a lot of high pitched exhausts out there. Its very stealth when just cruising, but it gets much louder combined with the RH in Vtec, still deep pitched though. My installer was so impressed, he picked one up for his SC'ed Civic. Don't know how the other Fuji models sound though. Definitely recommend listening on Youtube.
Mrjedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 08:23 PM   #18
MK20OWNR

MK20OWNR is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx MK20OWNR is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx MK20OWNR is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx MK20OWNR is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx MK20OWNR is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx MK20OWNR is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx MK20OWNR is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx MK20OWNR is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Searched for answers. Didn’t find any. If this has been answered please share the link.
I know this is for sc, but can it be used for turbo cars too?
If so, what part number is the hushpower muffler you guys are using?

If you still have it, how has that setup held up with the dynamax muffler?

Thank you in advance!!
MK20OWNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 08:47 AM   #19
nats007
Always on TDY...

Garage
Yes, it can be used with a turbo or NA setup. Still have it today and has held up over the years. I have 2.5" custom piping (I didn't bother with mandrel bent) pairing a 2.5" Flowmaster HP-2 + 2.5" Dynomax Super Turbo Muffler. Had this setup for at least 4 years with no issues.
Old 08-09-2019, 12:39 AM   #20
MK20OWNR

MK20OWNR is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx MK20OWNR is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx MK20OWNR is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx MK20OWNR is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx MK20OWNR is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx MK20OWNR is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx MK20OWNR is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx MK20OWNR is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Quote:
Yes, it can be used with a turbo or NA setup. Still have it today and has held up over the years. I have 2.5" custom piping (I didn't bother with mandrel bent) pairing a 2.5" Flowmaster HP-2 + 2.5" Dynomax Super Turbo Muffler. Had this setup for at least 4 years with no issues.
Thanks for your quick response!

Do you happen to have the part numbers you used with your setup?

Also, any photos of your setup will be greatly appreciated!!
MK20OWNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 01:09 AM   #21
nats007
Always on TDY...

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MK20OWNR View Post
Quote:
Thanks for your quick response!

Do you happen to have the part numbers you used with your setup?

Also, any photos of your setup will be greatly appreciated!!
https://www.clubrsx.com/index.php#/topics/643765?page=6

See post 54&55 on my showoff

Dynomax 17733
HP-2 moderate sound, NOT the aggressive. I think I did the 18" one with 2.5" inlet and outlet (PART# 12518409)

Last edited by nats007; 08-09-2019 at 01:14 AM..