RSX or...? - Club RSX Message Board
Go Back   Club RSX Message Board > OTHER CARS > Auto Talk
Use the same user name on Club RSX, Club EP3, and Club ILX!

Old 01-28-2016, 06:13 PM   #1
keikdasneek
STEALTH S

keikdasneek is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
RSX or...?

Kind of torn on what car to get as a daily/weekend drive/fun car for myself.

It's been a few years since I've had an Rsx, and I've regretted selling it pretty much every day since. I'm not sure if it's just all the nostalgia or if it's because I've always wanted one since a freshman in high school and actually graduated, got a job and bought one for myself. But the FWD, lack of launching ability/traction, and having no power with the A/c on in the summer sucked, and I remember hating that.

Currently have a 2015 F-150 as my daily/family car so just really just looking for opinions on what to buy next. I've narrowed it down to:

Rsx Type s
350z
BMW E36 M3
G35

Price would be 10k max, but am more comfortable spending closer to 5k. Any suggestions? I would say s2000 but I'm 6'4 and my knee was pretty much against the dashboard. I'm thinking type-s since they're a little cheaper than the nissans, and mostly because they get the best MPG out of the list.

Last edited by keikdasneek; 01-28-2016 at 10:32 PM..
keikdasneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2016, 08:25 AM   #2
G3min1
Curious Gooner

G3min1 is on a distinguished road G3min1 is on a distinguished road G3min1 is on a distinguished road
Garage
Well from experience with all 4 cars, as my group of friends run all 4 of these. I can tell you right now:

Reliability: RSX wins hands down.
Comfort: G35
Fun factor: 350z
Costs to mod: RSX
Exclusiveness: M3 and RSX
RWD vs FWD: toss up as its comparing apples to oranges. (350, g35, m3 all rwd obviously, and only the rsx is fwd)

My g35 friend has overheating issues on the regular, and complains that his car is heavy (Known issue with them)
My BMW friend always complains that parts are too high for his car. We all love our friends M3 (he has a e46 tho)
My 350z friend always complains about wanting a 370, and the fact that sometimes he feels like he's gonna get lose it at any given moment. So that's why i said fun factor as he feels he's pushing his car on the edge a lot.
Everyone loves my RSX's gearbox, and they always say they never see RSX's around still in good condition. I personally just want more power out of it.

Hope this helps a bit.
Cons: Your car can blow up

Supercharger Pros: You get that distinctive supercharger whine going down the street.
Cons: Your car can blow up
"Beating a Dead Horse Crew " Member #1

Last edited by G3min1; 02-04-2016 at 03:49 PM.. Reason: spelling
G3min1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 10:36 PM   #3
mallen600
Pancakes

mallen600 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mallen600 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mallen600 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mallen600 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mallen600 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mallen600 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mallen600 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mallen600 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mallen600 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
I hear SRT-4s are really awesome.
TN CREW #6[/B]ABP Crew Member #79[/B]
Zombie Eradication Team #68
BB Crew
***PIC OF BUFFALO HERE***
mallen600 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-01-2016, 02:51 PM   #4
keikdasneek
STEALTH S

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallen600 View Post
I hear SRT-4s are really awesome.
Woah, those do sound awesome...

But what do they look like?

I've only ever heard their mystical phsssssssh and a small glimpse of their tail lights before they've disappeared into the horizon.
Old 02-04-2016, 09:27 AM   #5
CyborgGT
Master Member

CyborgGT is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx CyborgGT is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx CyborgGT is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx CyborgGT is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx CyborgGT is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx CyborgGT is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx CyborgGT is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx CyborgGT is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx CyborgGT is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Personally I've never understood the appeal of a FWD with more than 300-350hp outside of a dragstrip. Any more and get a different drive train. You've ruled out a GD WRX and GC 2.5 RS? Are you wanting a project or something fun out of the box?

As for the SRT-4, it looks like an angry pug the second you put those seemingly requisite eyelids on.

... Cobalt SS? Those had pretty good reviews in the magazines, they're supposed to handle really well. Being American I'm not sure about interior quality though. But then the 350Z's is terrible, and Subarus have always been dull.

Last edited by CyborgGT; 02-04-2016 at 09:30 AM..
CyborgGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 01:50 PM   #6
keikdasneek
STEALTH S

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyborgGT View Post
Personally I've never understood the appeal of a FWD with more than 300-350hp outside of a dragstrip. Any more and get a different drive train. You've ruled out a GD WRX and GC 2.5 RS? Are you wanting a project or something fun out of the box?

As for the SRT-4, it looks like an angry pug the second you put those seemingly requisite eyelids on.

... Cobalt SS? Those had pretty good reviews in the magazines, they're supposed to handle really well. Being American I'm not sure about interior quality though. But then the 350Z's is terrible, and Subarus have always been dull.
The srt-4 comment was just a joke.

Kind of just want a fun daily, that I'd drive mostly by myself or with my gf on the weekends.

As far as the WRX's go, I like them but not really wanting another turbo'd car. If I did I'd want a STI but they're out of my initial price range.

Right now I'm leaning between a RSX type-s or a Integra GSR.

I'm going to go sit in a s2000 and see if I even fit in it. I'm pretty tall, but I don't really like that they don't get that much better mpg than my truck.

To answer your question about if I want a project, I want something I can drive now reliably as I slowly build it up.

Last edited by keikdasneek; 02-05-2016 at 01:55 PM..
Old 02-07-2016, 09:45 AM   #7
CyborgGT
Master Member

CyborgGT is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx CyborgGT is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx CyborgGT is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx CyborgGT is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx CyborgGT is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx CyborgGT is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx CyborgGT is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx CyborgGT is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx CyborgGT is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by keikdasneek View Post
The srt-4 comment was just a joke.
That's why I responded in kind.

All motor 2.5 RS coupe, man. I wonder if anyone's actually built an NA Impreza, that would be interesting. Just thinking aloud there... but I suggested WRX because if you're going to modify anyway, an STi isn't worth the price hike. Not to mention they're easier to find unmolested.

Integras though. I'm itching to build one myself. Hell, if only I could afford to do what I want to my RSX and still fund my project Accord. Got to keep it reliable and good on gas though; too many cars, too little money

Last edited by CyborgGT; 02-07-2016 at 09:50 AM..
CyborgGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 11:04 PM   #8
DeeezNuuuts83
Master Member

DeeezNuuuts83 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx DeeezNuuuts83 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx DeeezNuuuts83 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx DeeezNuuuts83 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx DeeezNuuuts83 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx DeeezNuuuts83 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx DeeezNuuuts83 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx DeeezNuuuts83 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by G3min1 View Post
My BMW friend always complains that parts are too high for his car. We all love our friends M3 (he has a e46 tho)
That's more specific to the E46 though. The E36 used a lot more parts that were shared with the non-M3 models, so that should help out a bit.

OP, you said "family" car, but you listed coupes (with the exception of the E36 M3, which did come as a sedan in the latter part of its lifespan) with one of them being a two-seater. What do you want/need out of a car?
DeeezNuuuts83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 12:48 AM   #9
CyborgGT
Master Member

His family car is the truck. Sounds like he's wanting a toy, but the more practical the better, within his under-$10k budget.
Old 03-03-2016, 07:26 PM   #10
4doorturbo

4doorturbo is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 4doorturbo is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 4doorturbo is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 4doorturbo is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 4doorturbo is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 4doorturbo is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 4doorturbo is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 4doorturbo is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
depends on what do you want?

do you want speed on a budget? then get a NSRT4

luxury on a budget? then get a E36

public approval? then get a base RSX
4doorturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 09:22 PM   #11
IronGumby
05 Type S RH Reflash LSD

IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
I highly recommend an RSX Type S with an LSD swapped in to reign in that FWD power.
Otherwise consider an FR-S with an OFT E85 tune. It is quick! Oops, not on your list.
I fancied a Z myself but am glad I got the RSX. Cheaper, more soul, dynamic, to me.
The GSR is a great option though just because of the front double-wishbone suspension!