Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

5 speed to 6 speed transmission

29K views 26 replies 10 participants last post by  blackrooster808 
#1 ·
HI :) Any1 know if i could buy a new type-s tranny Case, use my 5 speed internals from my base rsx transmission and add a new tsx 6th gear? would that work?

i did some researsh and i found the 5 speed conversion kit, but they say it remove the reverse protection and i could select Reverse instead of 6th gear by accident.. i think that would destroy my transmission right away so i was wonderin if there was another way of doing it.

#3 ·
Yes that would work. You don't need a new trans case though. The base case can fit 6 gears.

There is no reverse lock-out on the base. You would need a Type-S trans with the solenoid on it, the Type-S engine harness to connect to it, and an ECU that can recognize and actuate that solenoid. It's pretty hard to go into reverse unless you really force it though.

#19 ·
So what you're saying is if you have a type S engine harness ,type S 6 speed transmission w solenoid , it'll bolt onto the k20a3 with out any problems ? New to K series , been reading a lot of threads not sure if I haven't found the right thread yet, sorry if the question has already been asked

#4 ·
HI :) Any1 know if i could buy a new type-s tranny Case, use my 5 speed internals from my base rsx transmission and add a new tsx 6th gear? would that work?

i did some researsh and i found the 5 speed conversion kit, but they say it remove the reverse protection and i could select Reverse instead of 6th gear by accident.. i think that would destroy my transmission right away so i was wonderin if there was another way of doing it.

Exactly what is this "kit"

LOL Link?

All you have to do is to open up your transmission, remove the reverse actuator piece, add the 6th gear to the main and counter shaft, reinstall the shafts using 6spd shift forks, convert your shifter mechanism to a 6spd one and you're back in business.

#5 ·
I think this is what he means:

http://www.kseriesparts.com/cr/HON-5SP-2-6SP.html

Waste of time if you ask me. It won't do anything except give you a lower cruising RPM and you'll be able to say that you have a "6-speed." Technically yes you will, but a base with an actual Type-S 6-speed will destroy it.

#16 ·
Spark Plug Wires??? Have you taken a look at your engine bay? You don't have those... And there's no need for you to change the coils. They are more than sufficient for your car.

As far as your cams, you should probably do some research on your engine and the potential of it. All of that can be done here on this site...

ps.... Don't change the cams...

#17 ·
Im new to these motors im all b series and H series i just got this car and yes i kno i dont have sparkplugs thats why i said spark plug wires or coil w.e u guys wanna call it and im new to this page but i was 98% sure u cant rlly do much to these motors except internals.

#18 ·
Well yeah I figured you were new to K series.. That's fine and all.. But yeah you have spark plugss, and coil packs.. And the coil packs will last and provide plenty of spark.

As far as your engine, Most people don't modify base models much because those engines don't produce much power and can't take as much of a beating unless built up... And it's not worth it to dump money into that particular setup... And if you put cams in, you will need that Kpro.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.