Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

How would I go about Turboing JDM DC5 type s automatic

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  ryaano18 
#1 ·
I want to turbo a JDM Automatic dc5 type S 2005, but don’t know where to start. i know I’d have to do something with the tranny but I have no idea what. And also do I need a tuned ECU and if so where would I find one for this car (I can find base model RSX ecu with ktuner but they’re all USDM and although the jdm type s is essentially the same mechanically and k20a3 like the usdm base, do I need a jdm ECU and/or could I just mail in my own jdm ECU to xenochron to get them to do it.

yes I know everyone gonna say get manual but in my current situation a manual is a less efficient option because of the intersections and amount of stop lights and stop signs where I live. And it’s also a daily driver and I’m probably gonna keep it until it dies or I need a new car so.... long

#2 ·
-Swap in the manual parts. Shifting is fun and part of the game. Many will argue there's little point in building an automatic fwd grocery-getter. JDM or not, thats what it is, if it's an auto.

-If its a daily thats automatic and you want to leave it automatic, probably just leave it NA as well.

- If you were to turbo it, yes, you would need to get an ECU solution into it and have it tuned. Using Kpro would be more ideal than K-tuner. I believe Kpro has a base calibration for the JDM engine. I cant say if there's any significant functional differences with the harness or sensors, etc. You would send the ecu in and they would send it back. I sort of doubt that you'd have issues with a USDM ecu with Kpro already on it but I cant say as I've never had to worry about it.

-Swap in the manual parts

#3 ·
If I leave it naturally aspirated should I just go ahead and get the base 05-06 ecu with ktuner since it doesn’t need new harnesses like Kpro I’d need a 02-04 ecu. I am just looking to add a bit more power and get better 2step and fuck around with the tuning a bit as I’m planning on staying automatic I just want to have that bit of extra power over fully stock autos. A built auto seems like it would be pretty fun and I’d rather not be downshifting every 5 minutes cus there’s way too many speed bumps, stoplights, intersections, and traffic where I live as my town is an outlet

#4 ·
From the outside looking in, I can imagine that all shifting seems like a hassle but if you were you to do it, you'd be happy you did and even though it is more work, you wouldn't really notice. Or at least it wouldn't bother you.

Good point on the 02-04 ecu thing. Forgot about that bit. Its user choice but I've used Kpro and heard negative things about k-tuner, though I'm sure it is functional. Kpro is the best ecu setup I've seen for any car.

But you could start throwing bolt-ons at the car and if you ever get around to a race header AND/OR a larger intake manifold, then you would want to get an ecu solution.

So basically, start with an intake and catback and if you still want to get after more power then yes, race header and ecu.

Though it all still seems pointless with an auto lol... sorry. Just start with the catback and intake if you must do anything. Maybe lower it a bit and after all that stuff you want to keep going with this chassis, swap in the manual stuff. Just do it.

#6 ·
Use the KPRO as a piggy back to the oem ecu. KPRO controls engine, oem ecu controls the auto. Also, get an upgraded torque converter and a good trans cooler. I was going to go auto turbo but just converted to manual. I didn't like the idea of 2 ecus. Torque is nuts though on the auto

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.