Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

ECU tuning *chat* ask your questions here first

297K views 2K replies 443 participants last post by  Beygan4 
#1 ·
commence.

#2 ·
I have a 2004 type s and I have only got basic bolt on parts such as K&N Typhoon CAI, DC Sports Racing Header, DC Sports Exhaust, Ingalls engine torque damper. Then I have a 8 lb competition flywheel and competition stage 2 clutch. I do not want to spend $3,000-$4,000 for a turbo kit but want more power. I have been looking at K Pro for a while now but I dont know if it is worth it. I am just entering college and I wont be able to drive my car much since it will be at home. Is K Pro worth getting even if I dont have or plan on going forced induction? Also, if I did get it, how much hp/tq do you think it would give me?

#3 ·
1. buy k-pro
2. buy dry nitrous kit
3. only spend $1500 or so
4. ???
5. profit!

some people spend 1500 on a header+exhaust, or even just a header.

#5 ·
ah, nitrous isn't that bad. most of the people that have problems are the same people that over rev and lose their valvetrain or something like that. as long as you use something like a 50 or 75 shot it's not bad to keep safe with k-pro. you should start reading up in the nitrous section if you haven't already. btw, a dry shot isn't very complicated either.

#12 ·
ok another question. my car is idling very low (like 500 rpms) and my car shakes. it feels like it is about to stall. i let my dad drive it to see if he could figure it out and he stalled it on purpose but the car didn't jump or shake like a car usually does when it stalls. could this be something i could fix with kpro? can you set a rev where your car idles? and does anyone know what could be causing this low/rough idle?

#16 ·
cold air intake and exhaust. you could be fine with a race header if you have an 02-04, still the chance of running a hair lean with it... with an 05-06 you run a good chance of running lean.

#18 ·
lean means more air than optimum compared to the amount of fuel... knock is detonation or pre-ignition in the cylinder. it's called knock because it makes a knocking or pinging sound. ever hear a funny sound coming from mid 90's ford v6's? i don't know why but they are so notorious for it. if you want a description of what detonation or pre-ignition is google it, it's an easy find, and i just don't feel like typing it out right now.

Reactions: nhbp.rsx
#20 ·
custom exhaust... have a muffler shop do the piping, and do a magnaflow, or hushpower resonator (there are different ones) and something like an apex ws2 muffler... the supercharged section is riddled with threads and posts about custom exhausts, search around there. i'm not much of an off the shelf exhaust person myself.

Reactions: moonlighter
#21 ·
really noob question but everytime i try to datalog nothing comes up when i go to datalog<load and it just says calibration and drivers folder, both are empty. i hit both the lightning bolt and red dot to record so i dunno why its not saving it. also after the first couple times of using the onboard datalogging an error message came up saying i ran out of space that im using my internal memory to save or something like that. so now that doesnt work. im sure theres an easy fix but im not really familar with kpro so i need some help. and also i always hit lean cut at 6k rpm. should i turn it off while i do a datalog and then tune it so it won't hit lean cut the next time?

#22 ·
2 quick noob questions:

1) how do i get my cel to go off? i have dcrh. i disabled o2 sensor heater and response but that didnt work. any suggestions

2) how the hell do i set up the 2 stage rev limiter. do i need a switch to set it up or can i set it to always be on?

thanks

#24 ·
This may be utter paranoia... but I've noticed shiny slivers/fibers inside the tip of my exhaust. Could these be metal shavings due to knock that I've been getting recently?

#29 ·
From what people have told me, and from what I've seen, it just comes down to experience... along with trial and error.

#30 · (Edited)
I learned alot about tuning playing around in Crome back when I had my civic. Its not nearly as complicated as KPro (in that it doesnt have as many options) and doesnt have cam angle tuning, which I think is the biggest change for most people when it comes to tuning K Series.

In many ways the premade Kals in Kpro help a lot of people out more than they take advantage of.

For example, if you have a i/rh/e 05 Type S, then KPro is your best option. Now, the reflash was tuned for no RH, but as mentioned, the only problem seems to be running lean.

Load the reflash bin, and datalog the lean spots and richen them up a little bit, and leave the ignition and cam angles the same, and your car will run well (or should, assuming you have no knocking).

Will your car make the most possible power, no, but it will run better than it would on stock ECU and no risk of breaking like with the flash. In some ways, running proper AFRs will actually make more power than it would running richer, though prolly not much.

#34 ·
Installed K-pro about 3 weeks ago on my 06. Having a intermitant problem with data logging. I get the following message even though on-board data logging is disabled:

"The ECU is currently datalogging to on-board memory. Please switch off or disable on-board datalogging before datalogging from Kmanager."

Running K-Manager 1.3.5.4

Anyone else experience this problem?

#35 ·
KPro is a lot of money, but in a lot of ways its the best mod for the money I think.

In another thread it shows that I gained 22whp peak (which moved up like 300RPM) as well as gained 20~whp from 7500-8400 with JUST A BASEMAP!

#39 ·
Quick question.
I'm getting Kpro for my 05. I'm also getting the Kiddracing RH. I'm going to replace the test pipe with a cat. Do I need to get a spot made for the secondary 02 Sensor to plug in, or can I just run SAFELY without the secondary 02 sensor. I don't need to pass any emmisions testing, just personal preference to keep a cat on

#42 · (Edited)
Read the post :p

whoishomer said:
Quick question.
I'm getting Kpro for my 05. I'm also getting the Kiddracing RH. I'm going to replace the test pipe with a cat. Do I need to get a spot made for the secondary 02 Sensor to plug in, or can I just run SAFELY without the secondary 02 sensor. I don't need to pass any emmisions testing, just personal preference to keep a cat on

whoishomer: Nah, you don't need a secondary O2 for the car to function properly. It's purpose is to confirm that the catalytic converter is in place and functioning. If you'd like to retain that functionality (to make sure the cat is working properly)... then yea, you may want to have a bung put in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.