Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

Looking for upgrade from a Type-S

Tags
types upgrade
8K views 65 replies 13 participants last post by  Shakrath 
#1 ·
Hi guys, hopefully I'm in the right section, anyways my 03 Type s got totaled last night and I'm looking for a 4 door with a lot more torque. Either a V6 or a turbo 4 would do.

Anybody have recommendations? I'm pretty tall so head room would be a plus.

Just want more torque for city driving and something clean for some light modding.

Any help would be cool. Shooting for under 25k

#6 ·
Thanks for your reply!

STi doesn't justify the gas mileage and the insurance enough since I won't be highly modifying it or bringing it to the track. I like the idea of the new engine WRX base better cause the gas mileage is decent for a daily and still has the power.

Ford hasn't ever been my favorite and I think they kinda look ugly. I've heard bad things about the turn radius and wheelspin on these. Would consider maybe the fiesta ST just cause I could get a BRAND new one & i like the back better than the focus.

I would probably enjoy a golf R but it's out of my budget unless I get an older one.

My stance on V8 is that it's not practical these days for a daily. Hogs gas and I prefer a lighter car not a 4k lb boat lol.

Only other car I really have seen that I wanted would be a G37 Sedan. But they are so rare to find a stick!

#4 · (Edited)
Your question is too vague. It all depends on what you want out of your next vehicle.

You say 4 doors with more torque. Well considering there are hundreds of sedans that have more torque than our RSX's that not enough to go by.

Do you want a new car or a used car? If used how old are you wanting to go? Luxury or no? Import or Domestic? Good aftermarket scene or not? So many more questions you have to look into.

EDIT: It sounds like you just want a slightly used WRX, Jetta, Focus St, or Evo.

#5 ·
I test drove a 2016 GTI but it was smaller in person and different than what I thought but the torque was pretty sweet.

The 2 cars I'm looking to next after doing some research is either a 2015 WRX or a 2013 Civic Si.

Not sure if the civic is gonna make me feel like my rsx or if they fixed the everyday driving low rpm torque.

I feel like the wrx naturally would sit up higher so I wouldn't have to go over a speed bump sideways and it obviously doesn't have a problem in the torque department low end which is great.

I definitely need 4 doors so I can give more people rides and have room for a family later on.

Prefer headroom in front, backup cam, bluetooth, comfy & heated seats. Everything else I don't mind about.

The stoplight city driving with my RSX just got old from day to day having to rev out to 4k or 5k just to beat an suv off the line you know? Plus it sucked cramming people in the back & if I hit a bump with them in the car it made me cringe lol

#7 ·
Ha, I was just about to suggest a G37! But I've never even been in one.

My 2 car friends and I have talked the 4-door torque sedan question at length. Our winners were (crap, I just realized they're all like V8's, lol sorry):
Chevy SS
Pontiac G8
BMW E39 M5
Lexus IS300
Lexus ISF (auto only)
*wildcard: RX-8 (won't help your backseat problem, haha)

This is besides an STi, etc. You could wait for the Kia Stinger to come out, but it won't be a torque monster.

#12 ·
Would you consider anything German, like a 320i? You can get them certified pre-owned, and there are a few in your area at the BMW dealership that are under $20k. My older brother got one at the end of 2014 to replace his aging 2000 Civic EX coupe. He really likes it, and it clearly has much more grunt than his old car. I've driven it a bunch of times, and while it's not fast, it has enough hustle to get going. Gas mileage is pretty good too.

#16 ·
e46fanatics.com, zhpmafia.com, bimmerforums.com, bimmerfest.com

Consider the fact that a 4 door BMW is a very luxurious yet sporty car that has plenty of track potential. You will have to invest a bit more in repairs/maintenance in the beginning depending on the condition of the used car but it will last. Mine has 163,xxx miles of track and spirited street driving and I've only had to replace the water pump, and fuel pump outside of other normal wear items like clutch, brakes, tires, etc.

The insurance benefit and lack of police attention over an evo almost makes it a no-brainer.

#31 ·
It's funny you mention this, I recently considered trading my RSX for a 335i... And I'm sure you have been fortunate with your BMW.. But from what I researched and spoke to my mechanic who specializes in BMW and Porsche, "a bit more in repairs" is an understatement in my opinion (depending on model obviously).

Either way, you are going from the RSX, reliability champ, to the complete opposite. If I had the cash right now to repair the way I like it, I probably would've traded it and dumped a bunch of money in it and be super happy but if you don't have a grand in reserve for when it breaks down you are screwed. It'll be only a matter of time the car will break down. Don't get me wrong I love the car but when someone goes from RSX to BMW it's going to be a huge difference for them maintenance/repair-wise.
P.s. 163k miles on your car is impressive

To OP, Not in your budget but you could always wait for the new type R ! :D

#23 ·
I test drove a 2012 Audi 2.0T Quattro last night with 49k miles. It was 6 speed manual AWD.

I was... soo confused. It was one of the quietest engines full throttle. It had torque in every RPM of every gear. Also had more buttons and features than I needed lol.

It sounded perfect on paper. But driving it felt just barely more fun than an automatic and just wasn't worth the shifting IMO. Plus the gates sucked.

I'm leaning towards a Honda Accord Sport now. Almost the same engine as my old RSX just revs lower and has more room. They look pretty clean from 2013-2015 and have a fair amount of features. I just love the reliability of Honda and the clutch/gearboxes.

#26 ·
Remember that while that 2.0T is pretty flexible, it's the same motor in virtually the same tune that powers a lot of cars in VW's lineup, which includes stuff like the Jetta. It can hustle, but outside of the GTI, it's not going to make you feel very alive.

With regards to the Accord that you're looking at, how is it "almost the same engine"? Just curious what you mean by that.

#27 · (Edited)
My car friend that is really fond of German engineering and I have discussed the newer Accords and man they are just a beautiful car. They got the styling right. Elegant. Looks like a 5 series almost. Better than the older Accords that's for sure.

Anyways, the engine is almost the same, no? If he gets a 2.4L version the newer one is a Direct Injected Earth Dreams K-motor and the previous gen is the K24Z3. So he's not that far off in saying that. It's no K24A2 but it's no R-motor or 6cyl :dontknow:.

edit: Actually, the K24Z3 looks to be more similar to K24A2 than I realized. And the DI K24W just falls a lil short spec-wise (only 6800rpm redline) but has a lil more torque so I'd say it balances out

#29 ·
It is a K. It is 4-cyl. It is DOHC. It is i-VTEC. It is only 1mm larger bore. I mean, it's not the same 8kprm revving motor no, sure, but this 2.4L Accord isn't that far off from the TSX/Si motors. I can agree that the RSX motor is not the same as the TSX motor, but they are similar, in the loosest sense, which is all he was saying.

#38 ·
I never read about that now. It's not as bad as it seems. Apparently the roll cage was for safety and thus was installed with bushings so as not to increase rigidity, and then the A/C, stereo, and passenger seat were removed to compensate for the weight gain :dontknow:

#39 ·
It doesn't SEEM bad, but think about it.

Sure, it doesn't sound like much was changed, but while the weight was more or less the same, the weight distribution could have been different. The roll cage sits neatly between the two axles while they pulled weight from areas that rest more on the front axle. What if companies started doing similar things that result in weight being shifted more favorably, like installing trunk-mounted batteries (because hey, the weight is still the same) for their test cars?

Yes, the roll cage adds safety, but it adds rigidity too. Just because they said they didn't add it for that purpose doesn't mean that it's not an effect. Don't believe them for a second, tons of way faster cars with double the output do Ring tests without roll cages, I don't think it was so necessary for safety that a 300 hp FWD Civic hatchback needed so much more protection that other cars doing the exact same test didn't need.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.