Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

DIY JDM sidemarkers complete installation guide with pics

144K views 456 replies 246 participants last post by  kl0udykl0ud 
#1 ·
First off, I would like to thank KevinG for helping out with this install. The time that it took us for this install was roughly around 5 hours, simply because we took our time and did everything the right way.
The tools/supplies that you will need are:
-Flathead screwdriver
-Phillips screwdriver
-Masking tape
-xacto knife/razor
-String
-Sidemarker template
-Dremel with numerous cutting wheels and grinding attachment
-Touch up primer
-Touch up paint
-12' of wire
-wire taps (8)
-wire cutters
-wire strippers
-tie straps (6)

First step is to jack up the car and remove the wheel. Next take off the Phillips head screws and plastic clips holding the fender liner in place.

Next step is to apply masking tape in the area you will be cutting the hole and then pull a string on the curved part of the body from the door across to the front fender. Then put the correct side template over the sting and attach with tape.

After everything is lined up with the body line and fender line, trace the opening with a pencil and it should look like this:

See less See more
#2 ·
Now that everything is marked, the scary part is coming up, cutting into your fender. You will need the dremel and cutting wheels for this. No drill is required, just start out by cutting a square hole and then making numerous relief cuts to get the desired lengths for the notches and curves.

Now that everything is cut out, test fit the sidemarker to make sure the opening is correct and then start applying the primer (2 coats) and then touch up paint (2 coats)

It should look like this when done

Reactions: CB7
#3 ·
Now that the holes are cut out and ready for the sidemarkers, its time to start with the wiring. Cut off the connector that comes on the sidemarker wiring and attach a 3' piece of wire to each wire using wire taps. Once this is done you can start running the wires in the car body. You will see another hole up in the body and this is where you start running the wires, then find the hole in the pic and pull the wires down through there.

Once you put the grommet into the body, it should look like this.

Now use the tie straps the attach the wires to the hood release cable or another wire and route the wires into the engine and tap them into the turn signal wiring

Test out that the blinkers work with the sidemarker lights before you put everything back together on the car.

#8 ·
which wheels did you use to cut out the fender? i want to do this mod on tuesday. nice writeup btw.

#14 ·
oh yeah who is going to Nopi nationals in atlanta ga? Me and my team are going next month and we are gonna roll with the super street tour. it would be tight to have some more rsx from this area to roll wit us.
hit me up

#15 ·
FIrst off, NICE write up. This is quality information and pictures. Question(s) though:

1)When u turn the first click on lights, does it light up side marks + wedge bulbs?
2)WHen u turn on headlights, do the sidemarkers stay lit? Or does it only light up when u hit your turn signals?

Tera P :wavey:

#17 ·
KevinG said:
The fiberglass cutting wheels that come in the tube of ~50. You will go through about 10 since they wear down pretty quick.
Get the heavier duty ones, sold in packs of 6 I believe. They last A LOT longer than the lower-grade wheels.

#18 ·
the RealTera P said:
FIrst off, NICE write up. This is quality information and pictures. Question(s) though:

1)When u turn the first click on lights, does it light up side marks + wedge bulbs?
2)WHen u turn on headlights, do the sidemarkers stay lit? Or does it only light up when u hit your turn signals?

Tera P :wavey:
1.) Yes, when you first click on the turn signals, they come on with each blink thats in the headlight.

2.) No, the sidemarkers do not stay on. I did not get around to testing the wiring, but my guess is if you want that, you would put the negative wire to the parking lights and positive to the turn signals? :dontknow: I connected them to the turn signal wiring only.

#19 ·
Nice write up. :thumbsup:

#21 ·
you make it look so easy, +rep

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.