Rotrex S/C .... a DIY guide - Page 3 - Club RSX Message Board
Go Back   Club RSX Message Board > PERFORMANCE BASICS RSX > Supercharging RSX
Use the same user name on Club RSX, Club EP3, and Club ILX!

Old 09-20-2010, 08:55 PM   #51
Agent Smith
It is inevitable

Agent Smith is a super person....that needs to get out more Agent Smith is a super person....that needs to get out more Agent Smith is a super person....that needs to get out more Agent Smith is a super person....that needs to get out more Agent Smith is a super person....that needs to get out more Agent Smith is a super person....that needs to get out more
Agent Smith is a super person....that needs to get out more Agent Smith is a super person....that needs to get out more Agent Smith is a super person....that needs to get out more Agent Smith is a super person....that needs to get out more Agent Smith is a super person....that needs to get out more Agent Smith is a super person....that needs to get out more Agent Smith is a super person....that needs to get out more Agent Smith is a super person....that needs to get out more Agent Smith is a super person....that needs to get out more Agent Smith is a super person....that needs to get out more Agent Smith is a super person....that needs to get out more Agent Smith is a super person....that needs to get out more Agent Smith is a super person....that needs to get out more Agent Smith is a super person....that needs to get out more Agent Smith is a super person....that needs to get out more Agent Smith is a super person....that needs to get out more Agent Smith is a super person....that needs to get out more Agent Smith is a super person....that needs to get out more
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydeeatom View Post
Hi Guys,
I have just joined this site as Wessessiah suggested, and this is my first post.

I have been running Rotrex for about 4/5 years on a totally stock K20Z 2006 motor in Australia. Started with C30-94 at 12psi, then changed pulleys till it maxed out the SC. Richard at that time said use the Rotrex max rated speed +5% would be ok, as the engine does not stay their long up top. I did this and the charger ran with out any problems....for 4 years, until I removed it

The smaller the charger pulley, the more boost at lower rpm, and the better the car is to drive, even on small throttle openings like 10%. It make a huge improvement.

To change the pulley use a 9" angle grinder tool to stop the pulley from turning. Never turn the pulley anti clockwise or use a rattle gun. I learned the hard way!

I am now running a C38-71 (charger speed maxed out with 85mm/130mm) ecu adjustable up to 19psi on the with Snow performance water/methanol and 8300rpm on the RPM limit on our poor fuel(92octane equivalent). The motor is constantly reving to 8100 - 8300 and is still going strong, although I am sure the limits are close...........I do not use the Kpro any more as I was having major rpm overrev issues with the rpm limiter cut design as engine inertia was constantly taking it to 8800 with a 8000 limit set. This showed up on the ADL2 data logging. I also data log Rotrex charger speed x100/sec and the stock tensioner flicks and will slip at high rpm acceleration rates so you might not be seeing the actual charger rpm you think you have.

My combination produces 3 - 4 psi more low/mid range boost, and I run a Tial wastegate on the intercooler to tps pipe and control excessive boost via the ECU. Cheers Jeff
glad you joined the site there's a lot larger knowledge base/more resources here for the supercharged crowd. swing by the supercharged chat too. still, the centrifugal market is fairly small in the u.s. but it's building itself up.
S/C Crew Member #7 CRSX Zombie Eradication Team Member #10|Anime Crew 三番
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y41/Xinu38/Untitled-2_zpsceedtb4z.gif
Agent Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2010, 08:16 AM   #52
IntegraX
The Blue Bomber

IntegraX is cool, not as cool as some though IntegraX is cool, not as cool as some though IntegraX is cool, not as cool as some though IntegraX is cool, not as cool as some though IntegraX is cool, not as cool as some though IntegraX is cool, not as cool as some though IntegraX is cool, not as cool as some though IntegraX is cool, not as cool as some though IntegraX is cool, not as cool as some though IntegraX is cool, not as cool as some though IntegraX is cool, not as cool as some though IntegraX is cool, not as cool as some though IntegraX is cool, not as cool as some though
Quote:
There is a dynopack in our state and its 2 hours drive so I have not bothered. I datalog with a Motec ADL2, and use the weight of the car, a roll down test, and accel G to calculate wheel BHP, which I believe eliminates all the arguements with dyno claims. (I own a Dynojet motorbike dyno and have had many people with +15% power on other dyno's, same bike. I see the dyno as a tuning tool).
Anyway based on my testing I am at 392bhp at the wheels @8300 with 18psi(stock K20Z1). I use our pathetic pump fuel which is similar to 92 octane in the uk and usa. At this road speed their is 6.2% wheel spin, so this is an unknown into the maths equation, and power would be a little higher. My ign timing is pretty safe.
lol, thats more math than my brain can handle right now. Ive been meaning to try out a dyno-app that I picked up for my iphone called 'dynolicious' supposedly it has been tested by reputable garages and shown online that it does work and I guess the varience is the difference between and dynojet vs a mustang dyno. so I guess its fairly accurate. I just keep forgetting to run it when my tuner does the final pull on our street tunning sessions. and its getting to be our rainy season now
its the ultimate vtec solution
Rotrex crew -- fug A/C
IntegraX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 05:00 PM   #53
blazinrsx329
cracker jack box driver

blazinrsx329 is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Here is a lil video of pics of how the king motorsports rsx challenge car is setup with the rotrex

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdkUw...eature=related

Old 09-21-2010, 05:57 PM   #54
IntegraX
The Blue Bomber

IntegraX is cool, not as cool as some though IntegraX is cool, not as cool as some though IntegraX is cool, not as cool as some though IntegraX is cool, not as cool as some though IntegraX is cool, not as cool as some though IntegraX is cool, not as cool as some though IntegraX is cool, not as cool as some though IntegraX is cool, not as cool as some though IntegraX is cool, not as cool as some though IntegraX is cool, not as cool as some though IntegraX is cool, not as cool as some though IntegraX is cool, not as cool as some though IntegraX is cool, not as cool as some though
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazinrsx329 View Post
Here is a lil video of pics of how the king motorsports rsx challenge car is setup with the rotrex

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdkUw...eature=related
that gives me some ideas on what to change for my rotrex setup when I tear the car down next year. thought the filter location was alittle wierd though, would imagine the hot air going into that.
Rotrex crew -- fug A/C
Old 09-21-2010, 09:11 PM   #55
blazinrsx329
cracker jack box driver

blazinrsx329 is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazon_RSX View Post
that gives me some ideas on what to change for my rotrex setup when I tear the car down next year. thought the filter location was alittle wierd though, would imagine the hot air going into that.
Good, I hoped people would find it useful and be a addition to this discussion. I could not understand the filter placement either though
Old 09-22-2010, 11:17 AM   #56
IntegraX
The Blue Bomber

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazinrsx329 View Post
Good, I hoped people would find it useful and be a addition to this discussion. I could not understand the filter placement either though
maybe if they had a halfsized koyo or mishimoto radiator in front of the transmission? then you wouldnt have as much hot air building up there. but still under the manifold right in front of the engine, thats a nice toasty area im sure
Rotrex crew -- fug A/C
Old 09-22-2010, 09:30 PM   #57
bojangles
I like soup

bojangles is cool, not as cool as some though bojangles is cool, not as cool as some though bojangles is cool, not as cool as some though bojangles is cool, not as cool as some though bojangles is cool, not as cool as some though bojangles is cool, not as cool as some though bojangles is cool, not as cool as some though bojangles is cool, not as cool as some though bojangles is cool, not as cool as some though bojangles is cool, not as cool as some though bojangles is cool, not as cool as some though bojangles is cool, not as cool as some though bojangles is cool, not as cool as some though
Newb question.

But this supercharger mounts where the A/C was located? Correct.
Old 09-23-2010, 11:07 AM   #58
IntegraX
The Blue Bomber

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05DC5LUVR View Post
Newb question.

But this supercharger mounts where the A/C was located? Correct.
yethur you are correct. however you can have a mount made to put it where the power steering pump is. ive been mulling it over whether I want to move it upto the power steering location. just not sure how I feel about beeing power-steering/less.

anyone roll in an RSX with no power-assisted steering? how does it ride? do you lose any handling? I would imagine while rolling it should be no trouble to steer except when you are sitting still
Rotrex crew -- fug A/C
Old 09-24-2010, 01:55 PM   #59
bojangles
I like soup

bojangles is cool, not as cool as some though bojangles is cool, not as cool as some though bojangles is cool, not as cool as some though bojangles is cool, not as cool as some though bojangles is cool, not as cool as some though bojangles is cool, not as cool as some though bojangles is cool, not as cool as some though bojangles is cool, not as cool as some though bojangles is cool, not as cool as some though bojangles is cool, not as cool as some though bojangles is cool, not as cool as some though bojangles is cool, not as cool as some though bojangles is cool, not as cool as some though
Quote:
yethur you are correct. however you can have a mount made to put it where the power steering pump is. ive been mulling it over whether I want to move it upto the power steering location. just not sure how I feel about beeing power-steering/less.

anyone roll in an RSX with no power-assisted steering? how does it ride? do you lose any handling? I would imagine while rolling it should be no trouble to steer except when you are sitting still
Thanks man. I have been contemplating whether to get this kit but summer time would suck.

And the PS option was gonna be my next question. Thats good to know its an option. Maybe when I finally get this I will try the no A/C location and if it gets to be too much to handle I will look into the no P/S option like you are doing.

And I appreciate this write up you did. It will help me out greatly if I opt for this instead of the more popular roots style.
Old 09-24-2010, 07:32 PM   #60
jaydeeatom

jaydeeatom is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx jaydeeatom is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx jaydeeatom is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx jaydeeatom is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx jaydeeatom is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx jaydeeatom is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx jaydeeatom is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx jaydeeatom is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
this is my solution for the.....C38 -71.

see this thread for a bit more info
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0778_resize.JPG
Views:	184
Size:	170.6 KB
ID:	345067  
jaydeeatom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 12:49 AM   #61
IntegraX
The Blue Bomber

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05DC5LUVR View Post
Thanks man. I have been contemplating whether to get this kit but summer time would suck.

And the PS option was gonna be my next question. Thats good to know its an option. Maybe when I finally get this I will try the no A/C location and if it gets to be too much to handle I will look into the no P/S option like you are doing.

And I appreciate this write up you did. It will help me out greatly if I opt for this instead of the more popular roots style.
I plan on updating this thread alittle more eventually, try to make it more descript and better pictures.
Rotrex crew -- fug A/C
Old 09-26-2010, 03:58 PM   #62
NtegraDryvr

NtegraDryvr is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Quote:
this is my solution for the.....C38 -71.

see this thread for a bit more info
What bracket is holding the Rotrex? I would love to run something like this so I can maybe have AC as well in my car but unsure of anyone that makes one and clearance issues...
WM

Now: JRSC@20k+ RPM
NtegraDryvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 06:37 PM   #63
jaydeeatom

jaydeeatom is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx jaydeeatom is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx jaydeeatom is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx jaydeeatom is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx jaydeeatom is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx jaydeeatom is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx jaydeeatom is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx jaydeeatom is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Quote:
What bracket is holding the Rotrex?
I made this bracket. It is very easy. I got the idea from Richard at TTS.

If you look at the bottom of the bracket, there are 2x 10mm bolts, one allen, one hex. I have machined simple spacers between the water pump housing, and retaped the original 8mm bolt wholes up to 10mm. One spacer is a couple of mm longer so the charger belt is true. The plate was lazer cut. The layout is easy for working on, and gives full belt wrap. I have run this setup for 4 years trouble free. Cheers.
Old 09-26-2010, 08:06 PM   #64
NtegraDryvr

NtegraDryvr is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Thats really cool, I notice it is in an Atom. Think it would work in any of our cars with hood and front clearance issues?
WM

Now: JRSC@20k+ RPM
NtegraDryvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 09:32 PM   #65
hondaluver
Bar'd TWICE

hondaluver is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Eps?
Old 09-27-2010, 10:08 PM   #66
adm_rsx
sights set on + pressure

adm_rsx is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Phazon, not having powersteeting surely sucks a big one. I've lost it several times but got a decent solution until I go to eps. And moving it to the p/s location takes slot more to do. You can no longer run your intake Mano but my buddy with his Si dynoed on a c30-94 with meth and hit 349 and 242ft trq. I pulled him in 4th gear so I'm hopeing to hit 400hp off the blower alone. But I will give that dynolicious app a try. Lol
SWIFT RACING TECHNOLOGIES
adm_rsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 04:08 PM   #67
IntegraX
The Blue Bomber

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondaluver View Post
Eps?
Quote:
Originally Posted by adm_rsx View Post
Phazon, not having powersteeting surely sucks a big one. I've lost it several times but got a decent solution until I go to eps. And moving it to the p/s location takes slot more to do. You can no longer run your intake Mano but my buddy with his Si dynoed on a c30-94 with meth and hit 349 and 242ft trq. I pulled him in 4th gear so I'm hopeing to hit 400hp off the blower alone. But I will give that dynolicious app a try. Lol

maybe ive misread, but what is this EPS you speak of?
Rotrex crew -- fug A/C
Old 09-28-2010, 04:09 PM   #68
IntegraX
The Blue Bomber

perhaps the moderators would like to sticky this? seeing as how its informative and becoming a common thread for the rotrex S/C peeps.
Rotrex crew -- fug A/C
Old 09-28-2010, 04:19 PM   #69
Agent Smith
It is inevitable

Agent Smith is a super person....that needs to get out more Agent Smith is a super person....that needs to get out more Agent Smith is a super person....that needs to get out more Agent Smith is a super person....that needs to get out more Agent Smith is a super person....that needs to get out more Agent Smith is a super person....that needs to get out more
Agent Smith is a super person....that needs to get out more Agent Smith is a super person....that needs to get out more Agent Smith is a super person....that needs to get out more Agent Smith is a super person....that needs to get out more Agent Smith is a super person....that needs to get out more Agent Smith is a super person....that needs to get out more Agent Smith is a super person....that needs to get out more Agent Smith is a super person....that needs to get out more Agent Smith is a super person....that needs to get out more Agent Smith is a super person....that needs to get out more Agent Smith is a super person....that needs to get out more Agent Smith is a super person....that needs to get out more Agent Smith is a super person....that needs to get out more Agent Smith is a super person....that needs to get out more Agent Smith is a super person....that needs to get out more Agent Smith is a super person....that needs to get out more Agent Smith is a super person....that needs to get out more Agent Smith is a super person....that needs to get out more
Quote:
maybe ive misread, but what is this EPS you speak of?
electronic power steering from the civic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesessiah View Post
i think i'll include this in the guides and solutions sticky since this is still fairly new to most people in the states.
Quote:
perhaps the moderators would like to sticky this? seeing as how its informative and becoming a common thread for the rotrex S/C peeps.
see my quote above... if the rotrex, or twinscrew for that matter, gain the popularity of the jrsc or comptech, i will rearrange and condense a couple of the others and make a sticky for them.
Old 09-28-2010, 06:41 PM   #70
jaydeeatom

c30-94 versa the big boys.....c38-71

I am not sure about the correct forum protocol here......?

I am also on K20org, and "fertanen" and I have started discussing a Rotrex sizing and feel issue, which most people would find very interesting.

I have changed from c30-94 to c38-71 and he has gone from a c38-81 to the 61.

here is the link
http://www.k20a.org/forum/showthread...=1#post1138324

For those wondering I am using a Tial turbo wastegate to control top end boost.
cheers
Old 09-28-2010, 06:48 PM   #71
IntegraX
The Blue Bomber

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesessiah View Post
electronic power steering from the civic.

see my quote above... if the rotrex, or twinscrew for that matter, gain the popularity of the jrsc or comptech, i will rearrange and condense a couple of the others and make a sticky for them.
eh, sorry wesessiah. thanks, I forgot about that post you made

anyone know how difficult it is to convert the RSX to EPS? I would imagine if you could remove the pulley from the power steering then maybe gain alittle extra power? shit for that matter Dual Rotrex!
Rotrex crew -- fug A/C
Old 09-28-2010, 07:10 PM   #72
Agent Smith
It is inevitable

Quote:
eh, sorry wesessiah. thanks, I forgot about that post you made

anyone know how difficult it is to convert the RSX to EPS? I would imagine if you could remove the pulley from the power steering then maybe gain alittle extra power? shit for that matter Dual Rotrex!
doesn't seem too bad for those who are mechanically inclined... here's a thread thomas made for doing it in the 05-06, and it has a link to erik's diy for 02-04
http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread...light=eps+swap
Old 09-28-2010, 08:21 PM   #73
adm_rsx
sights set on + pressure

adm_rsx is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Quote:
I am not sure about the correct forum protocol here......?

I am also on K20org, and "fertanen" and I have started discussing a Rotrex sizing and feel issue, which most people would find very interesting.

I have changed from c30-94 to c38-71 and he has gone from a c38-81 to the 61.

here is the link
http://www.k20a.org/forum/showthread...=1#post1138324

For those wondering I am using a Tial turbo wastegate to control top end boost.
cheers
I'm curious...why are you using a wastegate to control top end boost? Are you trying to lower the total top side psi? Thanks.

And fertanen went to the -61? Why? He was making amazing power with the -81.
SWIFT RACING TECHNOLOGIES
adm_rsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 07:12 AM   #74
jaydeeatom

Quote:
Originally Posted by adm_rsx View Post
I'm curious...why are you using a wastegate to control top end boost? Are you trying to lower the total top side psi? Thanks.
I have spent along time working out how to fit a Autronic SM4 to the K20. I did this as I was having problems with the Kpro rev limiter's solid cut and wanted traction control. The engine acceleration was causing major rpm overshoots on the limiter. With 8000 set I was seeing 8800 often with the KPro as the engine ecu. The car accel is hitting 4500rpm/sec. My driving is good......so don't can me. At that time I was running 15psi in an Atom.....Anyway this showed up on the Motec ADL2 logging, not on the Kpro!

The SM4 has probably the best aftermarket Traction Control. I have extended the concept via software in the dash which measures lateral, vertical G, vehicle speed, gear and comes up with a slip %. The SM4 does the rest. Part of the idea was to include the common concept of boost by gear, as its much easier for the TC to reduce power from say 370bhp in 2nd to the grip limit, than 500..... Now the second concept was to max out the SC speed to get the best low rpm boost possible, hence 85/130mm drive ratio. The engine is stock, so I feel 18-19psi is the hand granade limit on the cast pistons/rods before it goes bang......Anyway its all working beautifully. But I got a few grey hairs for it all. The TC has made the car...........It was a pig to drive, but now you could let your mum drive it.........
WOW, that was a long answer.

Quote:
And fertanen went to the -61? Why? He was making amazing power with the -81.
Better to ask him.
Old 08-22-2016, 10:35 PM   #75
ss_aoshi
K24 SW@P

ss_aoshi is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx ss_aoshi is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx ss_aoshi is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx ss_aoshi is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx ss_aoshi is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx ss_aoshi is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx ss_aoshi is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx ss_aoshi is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
I dunno if anyone here still looks at this thread but I just ran into an issue. The subframe sits too high for the bracket to have the supercharger mounted on (even with the notch cut in). If anyone could help/advise that would be much appreciated. Also I have a k24 swap if that makes any difference.
ss_aoshi is offline   Reply With Quote