Merc Racing Supercharger - Club RSX Message Board
Go Back   Club RSX Message Board > PERFORMANCE BASICS RSX > Supercharging RSX
Use the same user name on Club RSX, Club EP3, and Club ILX!

Old 10-27-2018, 09:05 AM   #1
Enishi26
VTEC Connoisseur

Enishi26 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Enishi26 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Enishi26 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Enishi26 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Enishi26 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Enishi26 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Enishi26 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Enishi26 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Merc Racing Supercharger

Hey y'all how's it going! Ive got a question. How do I build my motor to stand up to the power of the Supercharger but not fight it? I've got a k20z1/k24a2 in my RSX with Kelford cams and I plan on buying the MR1900 Supercharger. My goal is to get 500whp on pump gas. I already plan on rebuilding the entire motor (forged internals, new valvetrain, new oil pump etc etc) but I have no idea what pistons or what cams to get. Should I go high compression or low compression? Mild or aggressive cams? I've read threads about some of the other S/Cs like the JRSC or the CT SC and they said stay stock because you dont want to fight the SC. Well with the MR1900 adding about triple the power I figured something would be different and I should ask. I plan on "dailying" this beast (I know its a hard task but I dont mind) and the occasional track day. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!
K&N Typhoon SRI/Skunk2 intake mani/Skunk2 70mm TB/Skunk2 Alpha Race Header/Invidia Q300/RC650 injectors/innovative mounts/Blox short shifter adapter/Tein Basis/ competition Clutch Stage 2/Competition clutch ultra lightweight flywheel/ Kelford 179-A/K-Tuner
K20Z1/K24A2 239.1whp/169.8tq
Enishi26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2018, 01:14 PM   #2
DC5Sandbag
Past Driverís Ed

DC5Sandbag might be well recognized one day on c-rsx DC5Sandbag might be well recognized one day on c-rsx DC5Sandbag might be well recognized one day on c-rsx DC5Sandbag might be well recognized one day on c-rsx DC5Sandbag might be well recognized one day on c-rsx DC5Sandbag might be well recognized one day on c-rsx DC5Sandbag might be well recognized one day on c-rsx DC5Sandbag might be well recognized one day on c-rsx
Garage
My RSX is built to be used as a daily driver. Although I have a custom tune for 93 octane fuel, the engine setup favors the E85 fuel tune. With stock internal components, the engine delivers approximately 365 whp (E85) to the pavement. More power than the tires can handle (need racing slicks). I've been enjoying this engine build for 5 years. Engine now has 189,000 miles on it and has been trouble free. Note, force induction does not like cams with long duration - stock ones work quite well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hu4JO-BC_ro

See part list below (remember daily driver build).

Stock 11.0:1 compression (I would prefer 11.5:1 for E85)
Aftercooled CTE blower (10.7 psi post cooler)
1000cc fuel injectors with custom return fuel system
Fuel pump (340 LPH in-tank pump)
Injected bypass fuel regulator
AEM racing fuel rail
KPro-4
Digital wideband O2 AFR UEGO gauge, air/fuel ratio controller, & sensor (controls ECU)
Map sensor - 4 bar
Stock throttle body
Injen CAI
Invidia 4-2-1 race header
Invidia Q300 CAT exhaust system
Stage 4 clutch with 11.5 lb flywheel
DC5Sandbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 05:40 PM   #3
Enishi26
VTEC Connoisseur

Enishi26 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Enishi26 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Enishi26 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Enishi26 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Enishi26 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Enishi26 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Enishi26 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Enishi26 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC5Sandbag View Post
My RSX is built to be used as a daily driver. Although I have a custom tune for 93 octane fuel, the engine setup favors the E85 fuel tune. With stock internal components, the engine delivers approximately 365 whp (E85) to the pavement. More power than the tires can handle (need racing slicks). I've been enjoying this engine build for 5 years. Engine now has 189,000 miles on it and has been trouble free. Note, force induction does not like cams with long duration - stock ones work quite well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hu4JO-BC_ro

See part list below (remember daily driver build).

Stock 11.0:1 compression (I would prefer 11.5:1 for E85)
Aftercooled CTE blower (10.7 psi post cooler)
1000cc fuel injectors with custom return fuel system
Fuel pump (340 LPH in-tank pump)
Injected bypass fuel regulator
AEM racing fuel rail
KPro-4
Digital wideband O2 AFR UEGO gauge, air/fuel ratio controller, & sensor (controls ECU)
Map sensor - 4 bar
Stock throttle body
Injen CAI
Invidia 4-2-1 race header
Invidia Q300 CAT exhaust system
Stage 4 clutch with 11.5 lb flywheel
It sounds amazing!! and it looks like its got some serious get up and go!! What are your wheel/tire specs?
K&N Typhoon SRI/Skunk2 intake mani/Skunk2 70mm TB/Skunk2 Alpha Race Header/Invidia Q300/RC650 injectors/innovative mounts/Blox short shifter adapter/Tein Basis/ competition Clutch Stage 2/Competition clutch ultra lightweight flywheel/ Kelford 179-A/K-Tuner
K20Z1/K24A2 239.1whp/169.8tq
Enishi26 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-28-2018, 07:38 PM   #4
DC5Sandbag
Past Driverís Ed

DC5Sandbag might be well recognized one day on c-rsx DC5Sandbag might be well recognized one day on c-rsx DC5Sandbag might be well recognized one day on c-rsx DC5Sandbag might be well recognized one day on c-rsx DC5Sandbag might be well recognized one day on c-rsx DC5Sandbag might be well recognized one day on c-rsx DC5Sandbag might be well recognized one day on c-rsx DC5Sandbag might be well recognized one day on c-rsx
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enishi26 View Post
It sounds amazing!! and it looks like its got some serious get up and go!! What are your wheel/tire specs?
I have 17" wheels with Michelin Pilot Super Sports. As you can see even with decent tires, doing a rolling start in 1st & 2nd gear all I have to do is just push down on the accelerator and the tires break loose. It sounds impressive but spinning is not winning.
Old 10-28-2018, 09:41 PM   #5
nats007
Always on TDY...

nats007 is on a distinguished road
Garage
Just to add another perspective... I have a 2006 K24a2 (stock internals) with a modified k20 oil pump mated to a JRSC making ~305 whp @ 7500 rpm at 9psi with 1000cc of water/methanol injection (primarily for intake/blower temps). The K24 has 25* VTC that many recommend to modify to 45*. Since I DD, I didn't feel it was necessary and figured keeping things OEM will be a little more reliable. Also running OE fuel pump with 775cc injectors. Could spin tires through 2nd and chirp on 3rd before lsd and better rubber.

Agreed that OEM cams/pistons are more than suitable for the M1900. Biggest thing to be mindful of is your pulley setup, cooling, and good airflow into the blower and out the motor. That's the biggest concerns with supercharging to tackle in my honest opinion in meeting power goals.

Last edited by nats007; 10-28-2018 at 09:43 PM..
nats007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 08:01 PM   #6
DC5Sandbag
Past Driverís Ed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nats007 View Post
Agreed that OEM cams/pistons are more than suitable for the M1900. Biggest thing to be mindful of is your pulley setup, cooling, and good airflow into the blower and out the motor. That's the biggest concerns with supercharging to tackle in my honest opinion in meeting power goals.
^ Spot-on
Old 01-23-2019, 07:48 PM   #7
orangeS

orangeS is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
1900 can hit 500 without a built motor.
orangeS is offline   Reply With Quote