JRSC belts & pulleys: please discuss it here - Page 2 - Club RSX Message Board
Go Back   Club RSX Message Board > PERFORMANCE BASICS RSX > Supercharging RSX
Use the same user name on Club RSX, Club EP3, and Club ILX!

Old 05-30-2004, 01:40 PM   #26
alphaSSmale
7 pounds

alphaSSmale is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
I am on my forth belt

The first belt shredded because of a pully malfunction so it was replaced under warranty. My second belt shredded bacause I was a dumbass and over tighten it. My third belt disinigrated due to no apparent reason one day after installation...

Anyway I would like to see a list of compatable belts for our chargers...
ES MM Inserts
Revo Gen2
CRSX Springs
Hayame Exhaust
Jackson Racing Race Header w/ Highflow Cat
JRSC/Race Edition @ 7PSI
-------------------------------------------
Kill List: IS300|CivicSI|300ZX|350Z|G35|Jetta GTI|
Integra GSR|Prelude|C230 Kompressor|Camaro Z28|
Porsche Cayenne S | MB CL500 |
alphaSSmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2004, 06:20 PM   #27
h22lude

h22lude is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
These belts that are not good, are those the ones that come with the kit?

What happens when the belt snaps? Does it do anything to the engine or do you just not have any boost?
h22lude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2004, 06:27 PM   #28
shaggy
twoplustwo

shaggy is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by tt061880
he's the only one I know that still run on the original belt, the rest of gone through at least 2 belts and maybe still counting lol

not true...

I'm still running on the original belt *knock on Skull* I have checked it often and I haven't had a problem

Quote:
I think the sc kit back in the days was better made than now. As far as I know, everyone who got the kit since march had threw a belt. Very nice going there norman sipp, u are the JRSC OG lol
Not true..

I recieved my kit after March.... I had it professionally installed and they had to tweak it slightly (pulley/belt) But I have had no problem

S/C and belt are running strong...

Last edited by shaggy; 05-30-2004 at 06:33 PM..
shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-30-2004, 06:28 PM   #29
uchiha

uchiha is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by h22lude

What happens when the belt snaps? Does it do anything to the engine or do you just not have any boost?
if it snaps you'll lose power steering and won't be able to drive the car.
uchiha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2004, 06:30 PM   #30
shaggy
twoplustwo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman Sipp
Nope...I'm still on the original belt and I've had my charger longer than sonny. I've also upgraded from street to race and from race @ 5# to race @ 7# and still have no belt problems

Hey Norm, it was great meeting you....

Hope to see you at more meets

True O.G.

Last edited by shaggy; 05-30-2004 at 06:38 PM..
shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2004, 06:42 PM   #31
shaggy
twoplustwo

Quote:
Originally Posted by chk
I got mine during the CRSX special back in March and my belt is still on. My two questions about the throwing/shredding belts are:

1. How many of you installed the SC yourselves (I absolutely mean no disrespect to you, I admire your desires to work on your cars. I wish I had ANY mechanical inclination when it came to cars)?
Anyways, keep on boosting!

I'm with chk............

no disrespect, but it does seem alot of the ppl who installed these kits themselves have had these problems. So i'm wondering if it a simple fix that a person, who normally doesn't work on cars, is missing
Old 05-30-2004, 07:12 PM   #32
alphaSSmale
7 pounds

alphaSSmale is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggy
I'm with chk............

no disrespect, but it does seem alot of the ppl who installed these kits themselves have had these problems. So i'm wondering if it a simple fix that a person, who normally doesn't work on cars, is missing
The kit is actually really easy to install if you have all the tools. Just time consuming. Sonny helped me install mine and we followed the instructions to the "T". Like I posted earlier my first belt shredded due to a flaw in my tensioner unit. The second was my own fault but the third.... no clue. Anyway, I have been running this belt and it looks great, I dont think I will have a problem for a long time to come.

Quote:
Originally Posted by h22lude

Mine has never really snapped in half, I just lose a couple ribs. The car is still drivable but you have to be careful because you run a greater risk of losing the whole belt all together. The last time my belt shredded I lost two ribs but I had to drive the car to work for a week. No problems, I just couldn't be racing around...
ES MM Inserts
Revo Gen2
CRSX Springs
Hayame Exhaust
Jackson Racing Race Header w/ Highflow Cat
JRSC/Race Edition @ 7PSI
-------------------------------------------
Kill List: IS300|CivicSI|300ZX|350Z|G35|Jetta GTI|
Integra GSR|Prelude|C230 Kompressor|Camaro Z28|
Porsche Cayenne S | MB CL500 |
alphaSSmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2004, 08:00 PM   #33
h22lude

h22lude is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
How do you know if a rib snaps off?

So there is no danger to your car if you snap a rib or even a belt. If you lose a rib or two you can still drive it but it might snap the belt and if you snap the belt you can't drive but nothing happens to the car, all you would need to do is install a new belt. Do I have this down

If this is true, wouldn't it be good to have a extra belt in your car just in case. So if it snaps you can replace it on the spot or if it loses a rib you could replace it at your house later during the day.
h22lude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2004, 09:36 PM   #34
RickM3
///elitist prick

RickM3 is cool, not as cool as some though RickM3 is cool, not as cool as some though RickM3 is cool, not as cool as some though RickM3 is cool, not as cool as some though RickM3 is cool, not as cool as some though RickM3 is cool, not as cool as some though RickM3 is cool, not as cool as some though RickM3 is cool, not as cool as some though RickM3 is cool, not as cool as some though RickM3 is cool, not as cool as some though RickM3 is cool, not as cool as some though RickM3 is cool, not as cool as some though RickM3 is cool, not as cool as some though RickM3 is cool, not as cool as some though
Quote:
Originally Posted by chk
I got mine during the CRSX special back in March and my belt is still on. My two questions about the throwing/shredding belts are:

1. How many of you installed the SC yourselves (I absolutely mean no disrespect to you, I admire your desires to work on your cars. I wish I had ANY mechanical inclination when it came to cars)?

2. How many are running the 3.4" (7psi) pulley? (It seems like a lot of you guys with the 3.4" pulley are the ones losing belts. This is what scares me since I just ordered it last week )

Anyways, keep on boosting!
i got mine at the same time.

1. i installed everything myself. i never had any belt-related problems.

2. i have been running the 3.4" pulley from the start. the 4.0" pulley never saw one second of action... in fact, i sold it to a civic guy on here, heh.
RickM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2004, 09:51 PM   #35
tt061880
Master Member

tt061880 is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
okie, I'm going to make this as simple as possible. Even for those that installed the kit ourselves, what really caused anything to be misaligned? The only thing I can think of is the tensioner pulley, idle pulley, sc pulley, p/s pulley. I'm not saying that I did a perfect job on the installation but the kit came with the sc pulley screwed on the sc. I replaced the p/s pulley and tighten it up 3 times to make sure it sit on there right. The only parts left is the scissor for the ilde & tensioner pulley. Once the scissor is tighen up, it's up to the whole setup to be misaligned or not. What I'm trying to say is that if I tighten everything, there less likely to be an install flaw. Please don't get me wrong, I just wanna see if my logic make sense in this whole thing. Tell me what do you guys think.
tt061880 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2004, 11:42 PM   #36
XStremeR
Master of Auto Talk

XStremeR is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Quote:
What I'm trying to say is that if I tighten everything, there less likely to be an install flaw. Please don't get me wrong, I just wanna see if my logic make sense in this whole thing. Tell me what do you guys think.
hmmm yah, that makes sense to me.

As for my charger,
Mine was installed professionally by Acura technicians who had done 3 other installs before mine so they knew exactly what to do. Running strong with over 10k miles and no (belt) problems (knock on wood)
"Whats your deal? It's sad to assume someone is a troll just because they drive something "nicer" than an RSX. I'm a troll? I've been a member for almost 9 years. Since when is posting news, good or bad not allowed in Auto talk? Wonder what Dye thinks of your moderating abilities?"
XStremeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004, 04:38 AM   #37
mateo
no longer moderate

mateo is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
GOODYEAR GATERBACK POLY-V #4070775 7 RIB...THIS IS THE BELT TO HAVE, BAR NONE...I HAVE RUN THE HELL OUT OF IT...STILL HOLDING ON!... HAVE CHRIS ORDER THEM MAYBE?...IF YOU CAN NOT FIND ONE IN YOUR AREA!
...m
Old 05-31-2004, 09:52 AM   #38
tt061880
Master Member

mateo, are u running on the 3.4 pulley? How did the belt fit, any fitment issue as far as the length goes I need to know before I special order them?
Old 05-31-2004, 10:24 AM   #39
Norman Sipp

Norman Sipp is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggy
Hey Norm, it was great meeting you....

Hope to see you at more meets

True O.G.
Thanks Rob...I'll be in touch
Norman Sipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004, 11:16 AM   #40
tt061880
Master Member

Quote:
mateo, are u running on the 3.4 pulley? How did the belt fit, any fitment issue as far as the length goes I need to know before I special order them?

I just found a place that carry it and I'm going to pick it up shortly!
Old 05-31-2004, 04:47 PM   #41
tt061880
Master Member

okay I just tried to put the goodyear 77.5 inches long belt on and it doesn't even come close to fitting
Old 05-31-2004, 04:48 PM   #42
uchiha

uchiha is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
damn
uchiha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004, 05:01 PM   #43
i VieTEC
Master Member

i VieTEC is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
sorry bro the pain you must go through

it's a national holiday take a damn break
i VieTEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004, 05:15 PM   #44
tt061880
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by i VieTEC
it's a national holiday take a damn break

hahaaha lol it's okay, because it's a holida that's why we got a break lol. Well how in the world did mateo put that belt on??? I tried 77.5 before but it was made by dayco so I thought it could be because of different manufactures but it's definely just won't work
Old 05-31-2004, 05:24 PM   #45
tt061880
Master Member

one second thought, it might fit after all
Old 05-31-2004, 06:39 PM   #46
tt061880
Master Member

I don't know how to start this but it was kinda funny how I finally got the Goodyear 77.5 belt fit onto car just like Mateo say and at the same time I found out how to fix the problem that guys with k24 crank pulley have. This whole time I ran the belt from the top of the crank pulley down under the waterpump then go up to the p/s pulley. This totally the wrong way to do it but by doing it this way, I was manage to fit a 79.6 belt but since this is the longer way, the 77.5 didn't fit at all. It's funny sometimes invention happens by accident so here it goes:

cure for k24 pulley hitting the rubber hose:

The problem: the k24 crank pulley(c/p) is bigger than our stock pulley, right obove our crank pulley there is a rubber hose so when we put the k24 c/p, the belt will hit the rubber hose and can cause damage to both hose & belt.

The cure: instead of run the belt from top of the crank pulley str8 to the idler and to the p/s pulley, you will run the belt from top of the c/p down under the waterpump pulley and then up to the p/s pulley. By doing it this way, you will never hit that rubber hose! You will need a longer belt to do this, I suggest something a bit longer than 79 inches long since the k24 c/p is bigger than ours stock.

Disclaimer: I mean no harm to this online community and I just wanna suggest ways to fix things. Althought running the belt from on top of the crank pulley down to the waterpump wasn't the way that JR suggest but I've been having it this way for over a months now with hitting the track on every wednesday so you guys can consider my car been a test car . Please try this at your own risk.
Old 05-31-2004, 06:46 PM   #47
corso28
8" member

corso28 is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
back in december when i had my blower i went through 5 belts. i think it was a flawed tensioner unit. who knows though. the first time i snapped it was after the blower was installe dfor like 4 days. luckily i had 4 ribs or so left so i made it home. called JR, he sent a belt under warranty and i bought another just in case. paid 85 bux shipped overnight. those 2 belts snapped the next day. bought another one after i took off and reinstalled the tensioner. that one snapped. so i called up acura and placed an order for an overnight oem belt. that was the end of my charger. sold it on ebay and lost a good 700 bux. lucky me.
corso28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004, 07:26 PM   #48
jsfwds2k
Sold My baby!! :(

jsfwds2k is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
I got a 78.6" belt from Napa autoparts. They ordered it for me and had it second day air to me for 42.00 dollars. This belt still works with the crank pulley. I have it on right now. It is rubbing on the tubing though so I am not driving it. I am going to try to route the belt like tt said and see if it clears this tubing and hose that I think it is hitting. If this doesn't work I will be getting rib of the crank pulley and hopefully I will stop throwing belts. I can see the 77.5 inch belt working with the stock crank pulley and the 3.4" pulley. Because you will losing .6 inches with the s/c pulley and I believe .5 inches with the crank pulley(when compared to the K24 crank pulley). So you will lose 1.1 inch total so if you are using a 78.6 inch belt first and cut down 1.1 inches of diameter on the pulleys the 77.5 inch belt should work fine. Someone correct me if I am wrong.
jsfwds2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004, 08:27 PM   #49
tt061880
Master Member

jsfwds2k, I am not exactly sure what are you asking but to make this easy to understand, the stock belt is 78.6 and that works with the stock c/p and 4' sc pulley. Now that you are on the 3.4 and bigger crank pulley, the pulleys compensate each other so it's true that you don't need a longer belt. The only reason why I think u will need a longer belt is because if you route it the way I shown u, it's the long way and you will need a longer belt. I tried a dayco 79.6 which is an inch longer and it fit perfectly fine with the long routeon the 3.4 and stock c/p. I'd say u should try a belt that is about 79.6 or 80 long. The 80 long definely going to fit and there's a very good chance that the 79.6 will work as well.
Old 05-31-2004, 10:12 PM   #50
jsfwds2k
Sold My baby!! :(

jsfwds2k is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Quote:
jsfwds2k, I am not exactly sure what are you asking but to make this easy to understand, the stock belt is 78.6 and that works with the stock c/p and 4' sc pulley. Now that you are on the 3.4 and bigger crank pulley, the pulleys compensate each other so it's true that you don't need a longer belt. The only reason why I think u will need a longer belt is because if you route it the way I shown u, it's the long way and you will need a longer belt. I tried a dayco 79.6 which is an inch longer and it fit perfectly fine with the long routeon the 3.4 and stock c/p. I'd say u should try a belt that is about 79.6 or 80 long. The 80 long definely going to fit and there's a very good chance that the 79.6 will work as well.
Actually I don't have the 3.4" pulley. I was just telling people that the stock belt will work with the K24 crank pulley. Now if I route it the way you said to, I agree it might be too short. Sorry for the confusion.

P.S. - I do have the 78.6" belt on my car now and I did have to tighten it a little after I got it on all the pulleys. It was a bitch to get on them all at first, but it does work.
jsfwds2k is offline   Reply With Quote