Water / Meth Injection with Roots Superchargers - Page 2 - Club RSX Message Board
Go Back   Club RSX Message Board > PERFORMANCE BASICS RSX > Supercharging RSX
Use the same user name on Club RSX, Club EP3, and Club ILX!

Old 03-17-2010, 03:56 AM   #26
renrab
above status quo

renrab is cool, not as cool as some though renrab is cool, not as cool as some though renrab is cool, not as cool as some though renrab is cool, not as cool as some though renrab is cool, not as cool as some though renrab is cool, not as cool as some though renrab is cool, not as cool as some though renrab is cool, not as cool as some though renrab is cool, not as cool as some though renrab is cool, not as cool as some though renrab is cool, not as cool as some though renrab is cool, not as cool as some though
Nice work Sam, thanks for taking the time to organize this info into one easy to read thread
renrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2010, 04:24 AM   #27
hermit9832
NO MAAM

hermit9832 is on a distinguished road hermit9832 is on a distinguished road hermit9832 is on a distinguished road
Great info Sam, I have been following the other thread and this is just great work you and Rodney are doing. Ordering my kit today!
SuperCharger Crew #49
Self Tuned H2o/Meth Injected 11.5PSI JRSC
I didn't buy it fast, I built it fast!
hermit9832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 09:29 AM   #28
himsweet66six
Hawks

himsweet66six is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by stwatson View Post
Cruising IAT's highly depend on ambient temperatures and how hard I've been running the car and how long the car has been sitting while the motor is hot. To answer your question in a short response...my IAT's do not exceed 110 degrees THUS far after several pulls and time for the motor to heat soak, which is NOT dangerous!.

HOWEVER!!! I have NOT had the chance to test IAT's during hot summer days! This is still new ground and I have not had ambient temperature exceed 75 degrees yet...so once the 115 degree North Carolina Summer temps come around I can NOT give you a definite answer on how HOT cruising IAT's can get. If you want my honest prediction however, I feel the cruising IAT's are not a concern since we are at low load and I've seen stock RSX's run up to 160/170 IAT's with the crappy stock air box.

Air to air intercooler...you'll have to research Redshift product for that

The dyno didnt pick up spark due to the interference from my RC750 injectors + who knows what else. There is a lot of electrical interference going on with the car and its something that Im still working on trying to figure out.

I am engaging both the 14gph and 4gph nozzles at the same time. No stages on this setup. Which is why its so amazing that our motors can take 18gph nozzle spray at 4100rpm (granted Im pushing 15psi on the eaton, but still....thats a LOT)

Dyno is coming soon.
yea sorry i read this forum before the chat thread. that is pretty cool that the motor is taking 18gph. im also curious to when you have ur vtec engaged vs your meth engagement point. which comes first? im also curious to see how this setup would work on the k24..... you think it would require more/ handle even more?

i plan on running a k24 with a 2.8 bp and the new accord cp. i am thinking i will be around 13-14psi, but will also be on an aftercooler. but i think i am going to go ahead and invest in a dual nozzle setup and do 18 all together since i plan on being at the same boost levels.

also i know you are running 50/50 mix. but i plan on running 70/30 mix. do you think that will affect anything differently?

also you mentioned that you are going through the meth alot faster and upgraded the tank size. well how much faster are you going through it? when i was talking to rodney he said that that new 3 gallon tank should last around a summers worth of driving depending on your driving style but i should get a summers worth... how long do u think it will last?

Old 03-17-2010, 11:47 AM   #29
stwatson
Meth Blow Speed = my life

stwatson gets around and is known
stwatson gets around and is known stwatson gets around and is known stwatson gets around and is known stwatson gets around and is known stwatson gets around and is known stwatson gets around and is known stwatson gets around and is known stwatson gets around and is known stwatson gets around and is known stwatson gets around and is known
Quote:
Originally Posted by himsweet66six View Post
yea sorry i read this forum before the chat thread. that is pretty cool that the motor is taking 18gph. im also curious to when you have ur vtec engaged vs your meth engagement point. which comes first? im also curious to see how this setup would work on the k24..... you think it would require more/ handle even more?

i plan on running a k24 with a 2.8 bp and the new accord cp. i am thinking i will be around 13-14psi, but will also be on an aftercooler. but i think i am going to go ahead and invest in a dual nozzle setup and do 18 all together since i plan on being at the same boost levels.

also i know you are running 50/50 mix. but i plan on running 70/30 mix. do you think that will affect anything differently?

also you mentioned that you are going through the meth alot faster and upgraded the tank size. well how much faster are you going through it? when i was talking to rodney he said that that new 3 gallon tank should last around a summers worth of driving depending on your driving style but i should get a summers worth... how long do u think it will last?
Damn...full of questions Ok...here we go...

#1 My VTEC engagement is 4000 and my meth engagement is 4100

#2 As far as this working on a K24...that is 100% speculation right now. IF I had to make a guess, I would assume that the K24 motor flows very similar to the K20 and would require a similar amount of methanol. Again this is an assumption and not a fact...as I have never tested a K24

#3 With a 70/30 mixture you will actually need to spray MORE. As I stated in the original post, water can NOT be tuned around and is what causes bogging, so the 70/30 mixture will have less water allowing for more spray. As was mentioned in the other water/meth thread, I have had NO experience with changing mixture concentrations and I can only talk on 50/50 mixture. My OPINION on this which you guys can take or reject...I have proven that the 50/50 mixture works and works well, even with these high pressures so why go with more methanol? I also do not feel comfortable relying on the blower to distribute the methanol 100% evenly, opening up the possibility of a cylinder running lean, and the more methanol you spray, the more you are opening up that possibility. This is a VERY unknown area and could be 100% paranoia, however I do think it merits some consideration.

What I can say with 100% certainty is that the less methanol you use, the "safer" you are from this possible problem, the less heat you will be able to remove (water removes more, yet meth removed heat faster...so its a give and take), the more expensive your refills will be, and 70/30 mixture has not been tested...so its up to you guys on that one.

#4 This 3 gallon tank looks AWESOME...and I do not have one installed yet. From looking at my 1 gallon tank, I think 2-3months of HARD Driving is very obtainable with the 3 gallon tank. With a lighter foot even longer...it really depends on your driving. My 1 gallon tank with this new setup seems like its going FAST...so I would give it a month or so...however this is with 2nd and 3rd gear pulls DAILY This 3-gallon tank seems to be the way to go.

Hope that answers your questions,

Sam
13.0 @ 113mph (Traction is not my friend)

Last edited by stwatson; 03-18-2010 at 11:43 AM..
stwatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 02:43 PM   #30
vtecmike1

vtecmike1 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx vtecmike1 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx vtecmike1 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx vtecmike1 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx vtecmike1 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx vtecmike1 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx vtecmike1 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx vtecmike1 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
first i wanna say this is a great thread. thanks for the responsis.

i'm gonna be running around 11-12psi i'm guessing as i hit 10psi now on a 3.15 and will be going to a 3inch pulley with meth.

would you say your target AFR while tuning would be a bit leaner now since the meth kits essentially add octane? is 11.7 no longer the goal? would we wanna tune for lets say a leaner 12.5 afr since we'll be at a much higher octane? or would we still tune the same?

i know you said don't get carried away with timing. i was thinking of going somewhere in the 26-27 degree range at 11-12psi depending on how the car likes that on the dyno obviously.

but was wondering if more power could be made with a bit leaner AFR since essential meth is like running race gas?

is this correct or am i way off in my logic?
vtecmike1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 03:05 PM   #31
stwatson
Meth Blow Speed = my life

stwatson gets around and is known
stwatson gets around and is known stwatson gets around and is known stwatson gets around and is known stwatson gets around and is known stwatson gets around and is known stwatson gets around and is known stwatson gets around and is known stwatson gets around and is known stwatson gets around and is known stwatson gets around and is known
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtecmike1 View Post
first i wanna say this is a great thread. thanks for the responsis.

i'm gonna be running around 11-12psi i'm guessing as i hit 10psi now on a 3.15 and will be going to a 3inch pulley with meth.

would you say your target AFR while tuning would be a bit leaner now since the meth kits essentially add octane? is 11.7 no longer the goal? would we wanna tune for lets say a leaner 12.5 afr since we'll be at a much higher octane? or would we still tune the same?

i know you said don't get carried away with timing. i was thinking of going somewhere in the 26-27 degree range at 11-12psi depending on how the car likes that on the dyno obviously.

but was wondering if more power could be made with a bit leaner AFR since essential meth is like running race gas?

is this correct or am i way off in my logic?
You are close...

A/F ratios need to stay around the 11.5-11.7 range...at least thats what I've been doing. I have not tested leaning out the mixture, but I would assume that you will make more power. Is it safe? IDK...however I personally would not go leaner than 12.0 when running this much boost. The lean A/F ratios can increase temps pretty fast, and from what I've heard...the fact that we are even flirting with 12.0 as an A/F ratio...is a little risky.

11-12 psi you should avoid going over 25 degrees of ignition. I did the dyno tests there and the max power (before the torque curve began to wobble) around 24/25 degrees of ignition. You can gain 3whp past that, but its starting to stress the bottom end.

I am running 23 degrees at 13/14psi right now and I will go on the dyno again to test out ignition, however I have a strong feeling that I will not see much gain as I increase it. MAYBE I WILL. Cant speak until I try it...but at 11psi I HAVE tried it and you wont see gains past 25 degrees worth the risk.
13.0 @ 113mph (Traction is not my friend)
stwatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 03:40 PM   #32
vtecmike1

vtecmike1 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx vtecmike1 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx vtecmike1 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx vtecmike1 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx vtecmike1 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx vtecmike1 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx vtecmike1 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx vtecmike1 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
awesome info thank you.

Old 03-18-2010, 02:12 AM   #33
himsweet66six
Hawks

Quote:
Originally Posted by stwatson View Post
Damn...full of questions Ok...here we go...

#1 My VTEC engagement is 4000 and my meth engagement is 4100

#2 As far as this working on a K24...that is 100% speculation right now. IF I had to make a guess, I would need to know what kind of head the K24 would have as the flow of air is what determines the amount of methanol that can be used. If the K24 head flows as good as the K20, then I would assume you can use as much or maybe even more than what I am seeing now. That is my ASSUMPTION...not a fact.

#3 With a 70/30 mixture you will actually need to spray MORE. As I stated in the original post, water can NOT be tuned around and is what causes bogging, so the 70/30 mixture will have less water allowing for more spray. As was mentioned in the other water/meth thread, I have had NO experience with changing mixture concentrations and I can only talk on 50/50 mixture. My OPINION on this which you guys can take or reject...I have proven that the 50/50 mixture works and works well, even with these high pressures so why go with more methanol? I also do not feel comfortable relying on the blower to distribute the methanol 100% evenly, opening up the possibility of a cylinder running lean, and the more methanol you spray, the more you are opening up that possibility. This is a VERY unknown area and could be 100% paranoia, however I do think it merits some consideration.

What I can say with 100% certainty is that the less methanol you use, the "safer" you are from this possible problem, the less heat you will be able to remove (water removes more, yet meth removed heat faster...so its a give and take), the more expensive your refills will be, and 70/30 mixture has not been tested...so its up to you guys on that one.

#4 This 3 gallon tank looks AWESOME...and I do not have one installed yet. From looking at my 1 gallon tank, I think 2-3months of HARD Driving is very obtainable with the 3 gallon tank. With a lighter foot even longer...it really depends on your driving. My 1 gallon tank with this new setup seems like its going FAST...so I would give it a month or so...however this is with 2nd and 3rd gear pulls DAILY This 3-gallon tank seems to be the way to go.

Hope that answers your questions,

Sam
thanks sam. good info. sorry i just have lots of questions on my mind and want to try and get everything thought out and then go too it. tomorrow i will be ordering a dual setup as well. rodney said i should go with a 4 and a 14 so i will be at 18 like you.

as far as the k24 head, i am not sure, i plan on running an 06 tsx head and i beleive it actually flows very well being that the 06 got some improvements over the older engines. hence the more aggressive cams. but i couldnt tell you for sure.

now you got me wondering about the mix. it would be cheaper 50/50 like you said. i just thought maybe it would be able to squeeze some more power out of it, but then like you said i might need the water to balance the cooling. also i beleive sharper is running a 70/30 mix and seems to have no problems and he is also on 17gph? . maybe he will chime in.

all i can say is i really want to see your dyno or i want my pulley back!
Old 03-18-2010, 08:42 AM   #34
So Fly
No Longer Blown...

So Fly is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Quote:
thanks sam. good info. sorry i just have lots of questions on my mind and want to try and get everything thought out and then go too it. tomorrow i will be ordering a dual setup as well. rodney said i should go with a 4 and a 14 so i will be at 18 like you.

as far as the k24 head, i am not sure, i plan on running an 06 tsx head and i beleive it actually flows very well being that the 06 got some improvements over the older engines. hence the more aggressive cams. but i couldnt tell you for sure.

now you got me wondering about the mix. it would be cheaper 50/50 like you said. i just thought maybe it would be able to squeeze some more power out of it, but then like you said i might need the water to balance the cooling. also i beleive sharper is running a 70/30 mix and seems to have no problems and he is also on 17gph? . maybe he will chime in.

all i can say is i really want to see your dyno or i want my pulley back!
Wessiah was able to confirm that the 06+ TSX head flows slightly less than a k20a2/z1 head, the difference is very small.
All Motor Crew #20
So Fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 08:44 AM   #35
2010 admin

Boost negates any of those differences. It's only an issue for motors that have to pull air into the head, which is not us.
Old 03-18-2010, 08:50 AM   #36
So Fly
No Longer Blown...

So Fly is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by erik loza View Post
Boost negates any of those differences. It's only an issue for motors that have to pull air into the head, which is not us.
Agreed. Only mentioned it because himsweet and stwatson were inquiring I will be using the k24a2 head shortly as well
All Motor Crew #20
So Fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 08:56 AM   #37
2010 admin

Sure. Thomas has a TSX head and made 400+hp on meth.
Old 03-18-2010, 10:13 AM   #38
himsweet66six
Hawks

loza can you confirm if thomas is using a 14gph? im pretty sure that is what he is using. also curious to know what kind of mixture he is using.
Old 03-18-2010, 10:16 AM   #39
2010 admin

Quote:
loza can you confirm if thomas is using a 14gph? im pretty sure that is what he is using. also curious to know what kind of mixture he is using.
No clue. He's in the Caribbean, on his honeymoon now. Why don't you go back and review his posts in the other meth thread? Or Sharper's, for that matter?
Old 03-18-2010, 10:26 AM   #40
himsweet66six
Hawks

Quote:
No clue. He's in the Caribbean, on his honeymoon now. Why don't you go back and review his posts in the other meth thread? Or Sharper's, for that matter?
why dont you.
Old 03-18-2010, 10:32 AM   #41
2010 admin

Why don't I what? I'm not asking any questions here.
Old 03-18-2010, 10:42 AM   #42
himsweet66six
Hawks

Quote:
Why don't I what? I'm not asking any questions here.
your impossible.

should be ordering dual stage today!

only bad part is trying to explain to people that i am not running nitrous if they find it in the bay....
Old 03-18-2010, 10:52 AM   #43
2010 admin

Plumb it all under the TB and stuff, then put some vacuum hose over the feed lines. Nobody would have any clue about it unless they really knew what they were looking for.
Old 03-18-2010, 11:07 AM   #44
himsweet66six
Hawks

Quote:
Plumb it all under the TB and stuff, then put some vacuum hose over the feed lines. Nobody would have any clue about it unless they really knew what they were looking for.
i plan on putting the meth on the intake and then just covering the hose with wire loom. now with the dual stage it will be a bit trickier to make it blend in. but yea if u dont know what you are looking for it will be hard to find. but the engine bay is going to be a bit more cleaned up than a stock bay so it might be easier to spot.
Old 03-18-2010, 12:12 PM   #45
sharper
Alky fed rat.

sharper is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Thomas was using a 14gph nozzle - 70/30
I'm running a 10gph/7gph -100%, soon to be 14gph/10gph (90alch/10wawa).........

Quote:
You don't learn to swim by asking everyone else how the water is. You gotta' jump the fuck in.
sharper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 02:15 PM   #46
blazinrsx329
cracker jack box driver

blazinrsx329 is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by So Fly View Post
Wessiah was able to confirm that the 06+ TSX head flows slightly less than a k20a2/z1 head, the difference is very small.
really??

i thought they would be better...esp w the +1 on the intake side.

Last edited by blazinrsx329; 03-18-2010 at 03:57 PM..
blazinrsx329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 07:35 PM   #47
himsweet66six
Hawks

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharper View Post
Thomas was using a 14gph nozzle - 70/30
I'm running a 10gph/7gph -100%, soon to be 14gph/10gph (90alch/10wawa).........
Interesting. I was thinking 70/30 myself but talking to Rodney he said it might only net 5 hp over. 50/50 mix. But I'm not sure what I am going to do yet.
Old 03-18-2010, 07:53 PM   #48
AIS

AIS is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx AIS is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx AIS is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx AIS is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx AIS is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx AIS is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx AIS is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx AIS is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
I found on positive displacement superchargers its helps to have a small percentage of water in the mix. 10-20% water. With it we found slightly better knock control over pure methanol. Keep in mind pure methanol works great too and we are only talking about minor differences when comparing the two.

Rodney
AIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 09:36 PM   #49
vtecmike1

how come most of the kits warn about going over a 50/50 mix?

is it because there components can't handle that much meth?

50/50 isn't that bad right? i mean its alot cheaper.
Old 03-19-2010, 03:20 AM   #50
himsweet66six
Hawks

i think they warn because its explosive after 50/50