Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

Alternator problem

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  jf123456 
#1 ·
My car made a squealing. Sound battery light went on and headlights went out is it a bad alternator or belt how do I know. What should it cost to repair?

#2 ·
You can have both of those tested at just about any auto parts store if you don't have a handy dandy system tester laying around at home. It can be either of them. My battery was dying out and it didn't give starting issues, but it did something similar to yours. It would stop all music, dim lights, and almost shut off the car. I thought it was the alternator but it turned out to be a bad battery.

#4 ·
A flashlight is all you need to diagnose the problem. Look at the drive belt and make sure the alternator is turning, and make sure the drive belt has tension. If the alternator is squealing, and the belt is not slipping plus the charge light is on, then there is a 99% chance the alternator is bad.

I recently had to replace the alternator in my 02 rsx base. It requires removing the front bumper cover, bulkhead, and radiator mounting brackets to make some room. Then remove the drive belt, wires, and mounting bolts from the alternator. Not a 5-minute job but doable at home.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.