New to me RSX - Club RSX Message Board
Go Back   Club RSX Message Board > GENERAL RSX > New Member Introduction RSX
Use the same user name on Club RSX, Club EP3, and Club ILX!

Old 04-01-2019, 05:23 PM   #1
reddirtross

reddirtross is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx reddirtross is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx reddirtross is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx reddirtross is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx reddirtross is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx reddirtross is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx reddirtross is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx reddirtross is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Garage
New to me RSX

I bought a 2002 Acura RSX for 400 bucks. It has high miles, but everything works and the body is straight. In taking it to the mechanic it was mentioned that the motor is still strong and efficient. I've already got new struts and brakes as well as a cold air K and N intake system. I am looking forward to using the information in these threads to help as I resurrect my new toy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2021.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	1.33 MB
ID:	548977   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2022.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	548979   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2023.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	1.69 MB
ID:	548981   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2024.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	1.52 MB
ID:	548983  
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2019, 09:08 PM   #2
DC5Sandbag
Past Driverís Ed

DC5Sandbag might be well recognized one day on c-rsx DC5Sandbag might be well recognized one day on c-rsx DC5Sandbag might be well recognized one day on c-rsx DC5Sandbag might be well recognized one day on c-rsx DC5Sandbag might be well recognized one day on c-rsx DC5Sandbag might be well recognized one day on c-rsx DC5Sandbag might be well recognized one day on c-rsx DC5Sandbag might be well recognized one day on c-rsx
Garage
Welcome. Looks like a nice clean find.
DC5Sandbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 05:01 PM   #3
reddirtross

reddirtross is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx reddirtross is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx reddirtross is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx reddirtross is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx reddirtross is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx reddirtross is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx reddirtross is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx reddirtross is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Garage
Thank you.

Old 04-04-2019, 01:24 PM   #4
SanDiegoLoCo
I can get that for you

SanDiegoLoCo is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx SanDiegoLoCo is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx SanDiegoLoCo is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx SanDiegoLoCo is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx SanDiegoLoCo is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx SanDiegoLoCo is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx SanDiegoLoCo is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx SanDiegoLoCo is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx SanDiegoLoCo is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Welcome! Love getting good toys for cheap!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SanDiegoLoCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 04:41 PM   #5
reddirtross

Garage
[QUOTE=SanDiegoLoCo;55037047]Welcome! Love getting good toys for cheap!

Absolutely! It's been a great pick up. Everything works on it, all electronic and mechanical. The mileage was the only issue, but after driving it I'm positive it has been taken care of. It's a 2002 base with the manual trannie so I don't know how much else I can do to add to the overall performance. It's been a fun drive thus far. Thanks for commenting on it.
Old 04-15-2019, 05:35 PM   #6
reddirtross

Garage
Spent 1,300 on new struts, sway bars, control arms, and lower ball joints. The difference in the ride is incredible. The handling has dramatically improved as well.
I also put new brakes and calipers on the vehicle. Something that was desperately needed as well.

I'd love to hear from some people on here as to what I need to do next to get the RSX a little better.
reddirtross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 01:55 PM   #7
SanDiegoLoCo
I can get that for you

SanDiegoLoCo is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx SanDiegoLoCo is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx SanDiegoLoCo is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx SanDiegoLoCo is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx SanDiegoLoCo is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx SanDiegoLoCo is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx SanDiegoLoCo is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx SanDiegoLoCo is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx SanDiegoLoCo is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Better as how? Smoother? Faster? Need be more detailed. You want better? Buy a big fake mugen wing spray paint your rims lime green and 5% tint your windows all around including windshield. . Jk

Sounds like your on the right path I still have not got my suspension and handling to feel up to par. Every bump in the road pulls my steering one way or another very strongly. I have new buddyclub roll center adjustable ball joints coming in the mail they are a month late so far. I just did a full progress sway bar end links and tie bar in the rear, with new BwR lower control arms. I think I need new front LCA bushings , and will probably get new end links, lower the car a tad and get another alignment. If that does not help a little bit then idk what to do. I also have hard race reverse tie rods ( a specialty Honda shop told me Iím better off with flipping my tie rods upside down ) so idk I guess Iíll hold off on the reverse tie rods till after I do everything else thatís what was recommended to me. I also have Megan street series coilovers that are brand new. Like 5k miles on them. So I would of expected the handling to be better, but Iíve read that getting better suspension will un-mask the components that needs to be replaced ( such as lower control arm bushings and ball joints ) so thatís what Iím doing next

Btw, what is it that needs improving?

Old 04-16-2019, 05:27 PM   #8
reddirtross

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoLoCo View Post
Better as how? Smoother? Faster? Need be more detailed. You want better? Buy a big fake mugen wing spray paint your rims lime green and 5% tint your windows all around including windshield. . Jk

Sounds like your on the right path I still have not got my suspension and handling to feel up to par. Every bump in the road pulls my steering one way or another very strongly. I have new buddyclub roll center adjustable ball joints coming in the mail they are a month late so far. I just did a full progress sway bar end links and tie bar in the rear, with new BwR lower control arms. I think I need new front LCA bushings , and will probably get new end links, lower the car a tad and get another alignment. If that does not help a little bit then idk what to do. I also have hard race reverse tie rods ( a specialty Honda shop told me Iím better off with flipping my tie rods upside down ) so idk I guess Iíll hold off on the reverse tie rods till after I do everything else thatís what was recommended to me. I also have Megan street series coilovers that are brand new. Like 5k miles on them. So I would of expected the handling to be better, but Iíve read that getting better suspension will un-mask the components that needs to be replaced ( such as lower control arm bushings and ball joints ) so thatís what Iím doing next

Thanks for the list of ideas. I really appreciate it. I will use it to begin looking at what's within my price range, or willing to spend range.

Ultimately I would like to have a "fun to drive" car. I am not looking to take it racing or even as a daily driver. I need a reliable third car option and prefer one that I enjoy driving. The engine is strong. The clutch is also strong and was replaced in the not so distant past. All of the components on the car work; power everything works, the AC blows cold, truck stays open.
All in all I just want to spruce it up a little without breaking the bank on a car that has as many miles as it does.
Old 04-16-2019, 11:02 PM   #9
SanDiegoLoCo
I can get that for you

I would recommend a Fujita short ram intake -(SRI) , some kind of exhaust , and a $300 hondata reflash ( Intake and exhaust - [non race header] )if you want to stay cheap and get the most for your money

Old 04-17-2019, 06:10 PM   #10
reddirtross

Garage
Quote:
I would recommend a Fujita short ram intake -(SRI) , some kind of exhaust , and a $300 hondata reflash ( Intake and exhaust - [non race header] )if you want to stay cheap and get the most for your money

Would a K and N short air intake suffice? I was thinking about upgrading, replacing, the exhaust as well. Are there any brands in particular to seek out?

Lastly, my apologies for acting like a newbie, where would I look to get a Hondata Reflash?

Thanks so much for the feedback, I am seriously looking into these additions.
Old 06-15-2019, 03:11 PM   #11
reddirtross

Garage
Added a Cold Air K and N system this past weekend. Finally getting some time to make some improvements.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	D14A21E2-B421-4B09-87A6-0863B4FC817F.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	1.21 MB
ID:	549679   Click image for larger version

Name:	ABFE2DAD-15E7-4F39-B1E2-FE29298D73CA.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	985.8 KB
ID:	549681  
Old 06-15-2019, 03:14 PM   #12
reddirtross

Garage
Also put in a new head unit to make the morning commutes bearable. Amazing how much you miss Bluetooth until you donít have it for a while.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	3C514245-AA7F-440E-A7F9-DE4C43AF91B0.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	1.32 MB
ID:	549683  
Old 06-15-2019, 10:12 PM   #13
Jimmikatt

Jimmikatt is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Jimmikatt is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Jimmikatt is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Jimmikatt is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Jimmikatt is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Jimmikatt is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Jimmikatt is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Jimmikatt is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Quote:

I had that problem years ago with hitting bumps, and it would make the car want to turn left, it was a bad strut on the left rear. check for leaks, and do the bounce test on each corner to see if the rebound is the same on each corner.
Jimmikatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 06:57 PM   #14
SanDiegoLoCo
I can get that for you

Cold air how? Still sucking from engine bay. Should have got an Injen or AEM cold air intake :0

Old 06-19-2019, 05:09 PM   #15
reddirtross

Garage
I have had really good luck with the K and N products in all my vehicles since high school. There may be better, but I like the performance, warranty coverage, and reliability of the K and N intakes.
Old 06-21-2019, 11:31 PM   #16
SanDiegoLoCo
I can get that for you

Well ... luck and proven dyno results will tell you differently but hey , no matter. However , if you were to see an rsx like mine with an Injen cold air intake , it sounds pretty sweet.

Old 06-23-2019, 09:35 PM   #17
reddirtross

Garage
Quote:
Well ... luck and proven dyno results will tell you differently but hey , no matter. However , if you were to see an rsx like mine with an Injen cold air intake , it sounds pretty sweet.

I just needed something to get my engine some fresh air and save me some money in the process.
Your RSX looks like it is made for car shows and main drags. Mine is a third vehicle and daily driver as long as it will allow me to use it. Mine has a ton of miles and tons of character.

I am jealous of how your RSX looks. You have a great looking ride.
Old 06-24-2019, 12:52 PM   #18
Dc5_NightHawk

Dc5_NightHawk is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Dc5_NightHawk is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Dc5_NightHawk is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Dc5_NightHawk is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Dc5_NightHawk is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Dc5_NightHawk is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Dc5_NightHawk is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Dc5_NightHawk is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Great find welcome to the club.
Dc5_NightHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 02:45 PM   #19
reddirtross

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dc5_NightHawk View Post
Great find welcome to the club.
Thank you.
Old 06-27-2019, 02:22 AM   #20
SanDiegoLoCo
I can get that for you

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddirtross View Post
I just needed something to get my engine some fresh air and save me some money in the process.

Your RSX looks like it is made for car shows and main drags. Mine is a third vehicle and daily driver as long as it will allow me to use it. Mine has a ton of miles and tons of character.

I am jealous of how your RSX looks. You have a great looking ride.

Thx haha , I only show the good looking pictures. The exterior paint is hideous, and looks like a squad of teradactyls shit on my car. Iíve been swiped on my driver and passenger side from rear quarter panel to rear bumper. Also Iím about as stock as can be. Just CAI , catted Type R exhaust manifold and exhaust. Hondata cookie cutter reflash for Intake/exhaust. My car is slow. Itís starting to look nice in terms of the crap parts Iíve put on it , wheels set the look off pretty nicely. Other than that itís my 3rd car and daily as well. I do have a lot of suspension work Iím gonna throw down soon. Gna let the paint rot to shit so cops feel bad for me and donít pull me over.

Old 06-27-2019, 08:04 AM   #21
reddirtross

Garage
Quote:
Thx haha , I only show the good looking pictures. The exterior paint is hideous, and looks like a squad of teradactyls shit on my car. Iíve been swiped on my driver and passenger side from rear quarter panel to rear bumper. Also Iím about as stock as can be. Just CAI , catted Type R exhaust manifold and exhaust. Hondata cookie cutter reflash for Intake/exhaust. My car is slow. Itís starting to look nice in terms of the crap parts Iíve put on it , wheels set the look off pretty nicely. Other than that itís my 3rd car and daily as well. I do have a lot of suspension work Iím gonna throw down soon. Gna let the paint rot to shit so cops feel bad for me and donít pull me over.

I actually like that my paint is all faded and washed out. It means I am not worried about keeping it in tip top shape. I was thinking about a paint job on the thing but quickly realized it wasn't going to be worth it in the long run. Too much money, even if it's less than 500 bucks, for that car in the shape it's in. I don't know how long I will be keeping it anyways and it's not worth much money. The bonus is.... no rust.

I am just going to enjoy driving it, have fun with keeping it in running condition, and not worry about the paint. I will wish to have the RSX you've got.