Replacement brake pads - Club RSX Message Board
Go Back   Club RSX Message Board > GENERAL RSX > The DIY Garage RSX
Use the same user name on Club RSX, Club EP3, and Club ILX!

Old 05-24-2019, 07:23 PM   #1
racerboy88

racerboy88 is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Replacement brake pads

Do you guys have any preference for replacements other than OEM?
Daily driver that is stock, 03 RSX-S

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
racerboy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2019, 10:18 PM   #2
dustyboner
Vaginal Lubrication Tech

dustyboner is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
hawk ceramic pads

https://www.kseriesparts.com/HWK-HB361Z-622.html

dustyboner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 11:57 PM   #3
dopeyrsx

dopeyrsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dopeyrsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dopeyrsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dopeyrsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dopeyrsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dopeyrsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dopeyrsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dopeyrsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dopeyrsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
If you are close to Autozone, get the OEM replacement from Duralast (less brake dust compared to the race pads), it's lifetime if you don't take it down to the metal.
dopeyrsx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-25-2019, 12:45 AM   #4
Devons03DC5

Devons03DC5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Devons03DC5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Devons03DC5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Devons03DC5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Devons03DC5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Devons03DC5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Devons03DC5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Devons03DC5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Devons03DC5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Just ordered Hawk HPS front and rear from kseriesparts today, should be in soon. Cant wait to put them on. Also picked up stop tech slotted rear rotors and SS brake lines. The brakes are gonna feel better than new soon!
Devons03DC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 02:27 AM   #5
dustyboner
Vaginal Lubrication Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopeyrsx View Post
If you are close to Autozone, get the OEM replacement from Duralast (less brake dust compared to the race pads), it's lifetime if you don't take it down to the metal.

NO, AUTOZONE SUCKS ASS
Stay away from autozone breaks. they are complete shitl.

--------------------

For a local source i would say pepboys. you get 20% if you order the brakes pads online and pick them up in the store.

It well worth avoiding the cheap pads, unless you enjoy changing them out every 3-6 months and get a hard-on from the sound of sqweeking brakes.

On the low end (from pepboys) i would go with the
Wagner ThermoQuiet Ceramic

in the middle
Akebono ProAct Ultra-Premium Ceramic

on the high end (and will likely need to be special ordered)
Akebono Performance Ultra-Premium Ceramic

-------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devons03DC5 View Post
Just ordered Hawk HPS front and rear from kseriesparts today, should be in soon. Cant wait to put them on. Also picked up stop tech slotted rear rotors and SS brake lines. The brakes are gonna feel better than new soon!
Make sure you bed them as instructed and you'll be rollin or not rollin since were talking brakes.

Note
Properly bedding-in new brake pads results in a transfer film being generated at the pad and rotor interface to maximize brake performance.

How To Bed-In/Burnish Brake Pads
After installing new brake pads, make 6-to-10 stops from approximately 30-35 MPH applying moderate pressure.
Make an additional 2-to-3 hard stops from approximately 40-45 MPH.
DO NOT DRAG BRAKES!
Allow at least 15 minutes for the brake system to cool down.
After step 4 is completed, your new Hawk Performance brake pads are ready for use.
Old 05-25-2019, 09:15 PM   #6
Devons03DC5

Devons03DC5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Devons03DC5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Devons03DC5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Devons03DC5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Devons03DC5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Devons03DC5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Devons03DC5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Devons03DC5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Devons03DC5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustyboner View Post

NO, AUTOZONE SUCKS ASS

--------------------

For a local source i would say pepboys. you get 20% if you order the brakes pads online and pick them up in the store.

It well worth avoiding the cheap pads, unless you enjoy changing them out every 3-6 months and get a hard-on from the sound of sqweeking brakes.

in the middle

-------------

Make sure you bed them as instructed and you'll be rollin or not rollin since were talking brakes.

Note
Properly bedding-in new brake pads results in a transfer film being generated at the pad and rotor interface to maximize brake performance.

After installing new brake pads, make 6-to-10 stops from approximately 30-35 MPH applying moderate pressure.
DO NOT DRAG BRAKES!
After step 4 is completed, your new Hawk Performance brake pads are ready for use.
Thanks a lot for this! That is actually super helpful!
Devons03DC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 10:57 PM   #7
lacvietaudio

lacvietaudio is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx lacvietaudio is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx lacvietaudio is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx lacvietaudio is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx lacvietaudio is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx lacvietaudio is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx lacvietaudio is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx lacvietaudio is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustyboner View Post

NO, AUTOZONE SUCKS ASS

--------------------

in the middle

-------------

Note

DO NOT DRAG BRAKES!

Tks you
Old 05-26-2019, 01:47 AM   #8
dopeyrsx

dopeyrsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dopeyrsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dopeyrsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dopeyrsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dopeyrsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dopeyrsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dopeyrsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dopeyrsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dopeyrsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
I daily drive my car and Autozone brake pads work fine. No noise or cleaning my wheels from brake dust all the time. I had StopTech sport pads and I felt like I had to clean my wheels almost everyday. You just need to know what pads you want for the stopping power you need.
dopeyrsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 01:46 PM   #9
bertha01

bertha01 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx bertha01 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx bertha01 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx bertha01 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx bertha01 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx bertha01 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx bertha01 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx bertha01 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Tagged, this seems like a very interesting thread
bertha01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 05:57 PM   #10
racerboy88

I forgot to mention Im in Vancouver, B.C. So no autozone.
Thank you for the suggestions so far.
Any Canada West members want to share?

Old 05-29-2019, 09:58 AM   #11
T*A*R*MAC*

T*A*R*MAC* is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx T*A*R*MAC* is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx T*A*R*MAC* is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx T*A*R*MAC* is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx T*A*R*MAC* is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx T*A*R*MAC* is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx T*A*R*MAC* is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx T*A*R*MAC* is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
I used Hawk HPS and stoptech slotted rotors on my Type-S. The pads are great, highly recommend, I've used them on a number of cars in the past. The slotted rotors though I will not do again.. I can feel the slots through the brake pedal as well as hear them, and I do not like it.

On every car I've had Hawk HPS's on, they lack some bite when its cold (around freezing or less I'd say) something to consider if you don't get much heat into your pads when daily driving
T*A*R*MAC* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 10:12 AM   #12
joel1952

joel1952 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx joel1952 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx joel1952 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx joel1952 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx joel1952 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx joel1952 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx joel1952 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx joel1952 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Are OEM pads good for me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerboy88 View Post
Do you guys have any preference for replacements other than OEM?
Daily driver that is stock, 03 RSX-S
What's wrong with the OEM ones?
joel1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 05:14 PM   #13
racerboy88

Just looking for opinions.
Im totally fine with OEM

Old 06-03-2019, 09:30 AM   #14
joel1952

joel1952 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx joel1952 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx joel1952 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx joel1952 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx joel1952 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx joel1952 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx joel1952 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx joel1952 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Opinions vs Facts

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerboy88 View Post
Just looking for opinions.
Im totally fine with OEM

"...looking for Opinions", that's the thing. You know they worked well and lasted reasonably well, but people will give you the opinions that they have, not facts. What good does that do?

Plus if they don't have a stock car or drive on the track, the information they have won't apply to your situation.
joel1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 09:51 AM   #15
Jimmikatt

Jimmikatt is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Jimmikatt is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Jimmikatt is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Jimmikatt is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Jimmikatt is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Jimmikatt is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Jimmikatt is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Jimmikatt is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Akebono pads for me, quite and long lasting, with very little dusting. Made it Japan,
was rated #1 pads for all JDM's.. but pricey.

Last edited by Jimmikatt; 06-12-2019 at 09:54 AM..
Jimmikatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 09:52 PM   #16
dustyboner
Vaginal Lubrication Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmikatt View Post
Akebono pads for me, quite and long lasting, with very little dusting. Made it Japan,
was rated #1 pads for all JDM's.. but pricey.
Akebono is also the Original Equipment Manufacturer for our brake pads.