Hondata K-Pro and reflash FAQ/Tuning resources - Page 3 - Club RSX Message Board
Go Back   Club RSX Message Board > PERFORMANCE BASICS RSX > ECU Tuning RSX
Use the same user name on Club RSX, Club EP3, and Club ILX!

Old 07-08-2004, 12:54 AM   #51
BG RSX
Hnda4lf...kind of

BG RSX is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by conradb212
Not sure if it actually counts as a reflash.

Anyway, if you're really into it, check my write-up of the Hondata seminar and perhaps a long post I did on a day of tuning at Hondata. If that is still not enough, I also wrote some 10,000 words on the K-Pro and K-Pro tuning which I might share with interested parties.
i've been through your available readings already (i like to do my homework, when it come to my car)

i would love to see what else you got, if you're willing to share
...R.I.P.
BG RSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2004, 07:22 AM   #52
DazzaUK
UK CTR

DazzaUK is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by conradb212
If that is still not enough, I also wrote some 10,000 words on the K-Pro and K-Pro tuning which I might share with interested parties.
I'm interested in this! any chance u could send me a copy??
DazzaUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 11:06 AM   #53
conradb212
ECU Tuner

conradb212 is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by DazzaUK
I'm interested in this! any chance u could send me a copy??
I just made the document "The Hondata K-Pro ECU" available for download. The link is at the bottom of the FAQ. It's a work in progress but may give you some additional insights into the functioning and tuning of the K-Pro.
Mods: Stage 3 Comptech SC, AEM CAI, Comptech street header, stock cat, modified stock injectors, Hondata K-Pro, Hondata IMG, Fujitsubo PG catback, cat, 225/45-17 Goodrich G-force Rivals on Kazera rims, Mugen SS, Quaife LSD, CT lightweight flywheel and street clutch, ACT heavy-duty pressure plate, CT rear sway/tie bar and titanium front strut brace, Type-R replica wing, CT short shifter, Auto Meter Sport Comp full-sweep boost gauge. Current results: 290 whp on DynaPack. Web: My RSX and K-Pro page. My Blog: ECU Tuning
conradb212 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-09-2004, 01:01 PM   #54
2:43AM
I Hate Calvin Stickers

2:43AM is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Thanks Conrad. That is one bad ass post. Made my decision easier...
2:43AM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 03:06 PM   #55
alanb

alanb is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
superb exposition of the features of kpro conrad!

the hondata programmable ecu is a very very clever product as it invites 'exploration' and learning

u have to work it, understand it and it will then reward you

its not a quik fix instantaneous in your face solution but depends on consumer interactivity

and this leads to an extended life cycle as it evolves thru application and usage

mutability and adaptability is the key to longevity in the market

and as a consumer one gains confidence from such flexibility and reactivity to real world testing and experience

it really is the ideal product in this respect and fascinating in its own right, i cant help grin with my custom flash everytime i hit 3rd gear at wot!

i know ur background is in computing and u have adopted the kpro as an object of deep research and testing-long may it continue!

alanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2004, 12:14 AM   #56
Elendin20

Elendin20 is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Does anyone know why someone would chose the 8100 rpm limiter over the 8600 limiter. I've read a ton of the posts and can't seem to find the reason. I read that if you hit the rev limiter that it's bad for the engine, so the 8600 would seem better, so why would someone want the 8100 reflash instead? Is that less detectable or something?
Elendin20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2004, 02:05 AM   #57
WhiZ
N/A to go please...

WhiZ is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Mmm... only reasons I can think of would be:

1. Safety. Let's face it: Honda set the rev limiter at 8100 rpm for a reason. We all know and trust Hondata to say that the engine is fine up to 8600, but for some people they just don't want to risk it.
2. Warranty. I am not 100% certain, but I *think* that a Honda tech can plug into the ECU and get some readings about how the car was driven for a limited recent time period, including the max revs the engine hit. If you go in trying to claim warranty work because your rings are shot, or you blew a piston, and they can show you've reved the engine past the accepted red line, you're basically SOL.

Personally, I have the rev limit at 8600 and love it. I dont hit it everyday, and I try to make sure that I don't bounce it off the limiter (I haven't off 8600, but I did once or twice off 8100).

It's a personal decision. Playing it safe or just playing.

Peace

WhiZ

Go: - Hondata K-Pro running ITR cal , PRC IM, ITR cams, Hondata IMG, Injen CAI, JRRH w/test pipe, Greddy SP2, DIY Grounds

Show and Suspension: - Megan Coilovers, JDM ITR 22mm Rear Sway, Ingalls rear camber kit, 17" SSR Comps w/ 225/45/17 General Exclaim UHPs, Revo ShortShifter (w/ metal bushings), Speed-Source Shifter bushings, Injen IM Cover, Mr. Alex TD, Wilwood BBK

Latest dyno.... SAE 143.6 ft-lbs and 203.4 peak whp
Best 1/4 mile... 13.974 @ 100.91mph with a 2.257 60'
WhiZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 10:57 PM   #58
rsxdude18
Ranthem OT Manager

rsxdude18 is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Hi Conrad, do you plan on adding some pics (like fuel maps, GUI stuff) to your work in progress doc? I know the Kpro DVD and training video probably have those already, but it will be nice to have that in your doc too. It will give some novices like me who don't have a Kpro yet but plan to get it in the future have a better feel on the Kpro.
rsxdude18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 12:15 AM   #59
conradb212
ECU Tuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsxdude18
Hi Conrad, do you plan on adding some pics (like fuel maps, GUI stuff) to your work in progress doc? I know the Kpro DVD and training video probably have those already, but it will be nice to have that in your doc too. It will give some novices like me who don't have a Kpro yet but plan to get it in the future have a better feel on the Kpro.
That's a great idea. My big K-Pro document started out as just a set of personal notes and then got bigger and bigger. It's pretty technical and dense. I definitely plan to add a section with various "How-to's" that include images and screen shots. Sections could include a step-by-step "How do I identify and remove knocking?" and "How do I log my air-fuel ratio and make corrections?" and such.
Mods: Stage 3 Comptech SC, AEM CAI, Comptech street header, stock cat, modified stock injectors, Hondata K-Pro, Hondata IMG, Fujitsubo PG catback, cat, 225/45-17 Goodrich G-force Rivals on Kazera rims, Mugen SS, Quaife LSD, CT lightweight flywheel and street clutch, ACT heavy-duty pressure plate, CT rear sway/tie bar and titanium front strut brace, Type-R replica wing, CT short shifter, Auto Meter Sport Comp full-sweep boost gauge. Current results: 290 whp on DynaPack. Web: My RSX and K-Pro page. My Blog: ECU Tuning
Old 07-23-2004, 12:28 AM   #60
BG RSX
Hnda4lf...kind of

BG RSX is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Quote:
just go to hondata and download the K-manager. you can play with the maps while you watch their videos.
...R.I.P.
BG RSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 01:58 AM   #61
rsxdude18
Ranthem OT Manager

rsxdude18 is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
I can run K-manager without hooking it up to the ECU? if that is the case, i will try to play around and get a feel of K-pro. does the K-pro software only run on the XP? I'm still using Win98 and Win2K. Thanks for the advice.
rsxdude18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 05:57 AM   #62
leetran04
NOOB!

leetran04 is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
so what is everyone goin for these days? k-pro or reflash? i dunno which to get
Old 07-23-2004, 10:33 AM   #63
HardWired71
Honda4Ever

HardWired71 is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
K-PRO, the only customizeable solution to anyones specific list of mods.
Old 07-23-2004, 10:39 AM   #64
conradb212
ECU Tuner

Quote:
I can run K-manager without hooking it up to the ECU? if that is the case, i will try to play around and get a feel of K-pro. does the K-pro software only run on the XP? I'm still using Win98 and Win2K. Thanks for the advice.
Yes, you can run the ECU Manager software without being hooked up to the ECU. In order to practice, you'll also want a couple of datalogs (some of which have been posted here). That way you can practice analyzing logs and making tuning decisions based on what you see in the logs. I should probably add a few brief sample datalogs to the FAQ.
Old 07-23-2004, 10:43 AM   #65
conradb212
ECU Tuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznfreak231
so what is everyone goin for these days? k-pro or reflash? i dunno which to get
I tried to address this question in the FAQ:

I am really confused. Should I get the reflash or the K-Pro?

Here are the pros and cons for each:

Hondata #4: A tried-and-true reflash that works with most cars. It brings a bunch of extra power in the midrange by moving the VTEC point from 5800 to 5200, and it adds some on top. It is a relatively mild tune. It has to because once it's in, you can't go and fine-tune in case you have knocking. You can also have it reverted to stock by Hondata should the need arise. One problem: it may not work optimally with your particular setup. I had a distinct power dip with Hondata 4 and my Icebox. That's because each I/H/E combo has different air-fuel characteristics and Hondata 4 is one-size-fit-all.

K-Pro: This gives you complete and total control over your ECU via a daughterboard and a USB connection to your laptop. You can monitor 42 datapoints at frames rates up to 20 frames per second. You can change fueling, ignition advance, cam angles, fuel cut-off, VTEC, and tons more. The calibrations that come with it are quite aggressive and you'll likely have to play with the settings to get rid of initial knock, and Hondata suggests you have it professionally tuned. You'll need to learn a lot about not only the software, but about ignition, fueling, can cam timing concepts. If you're game, the K-Pro is endlessly fascinating, you'll never outgrow it as you modify your car, and you'll learn how it all fits together. However, in order to revert to factory stock, you'll have to undo the whole thing.

Those who have a CAI and don't want to mess with the car or learn new stuff should go with the reflash. All others will be much happier with the K-Pro.

===========
Old 07-28-2004, 11:43 AM   #66
MaverickVIP

MaverickVIP is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
I've just begun mod'ing my car and I can't see myself going too crazy in the near future... matching my AEM CAI with header and exhaust is about it. With that typical setup I'm assuming, from what I read, that the reflash would work best.

Any arguments?
MaverickVIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 11:51 AM   #67
conradb212
ECU Tuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickVIP
I've just begun mod'ing my car and I can't see myself going too crazy in the near future... matching my AEM CAI with header and exhaust is about it. With that typical setup I'm assuming, from what I read, that the reflash would work best.

Any arguments?
No argument. The Hondata #4 reflash works great with a CAI, and your investment is totally protected as Hondata will give you almost the full price of the reflash off if you decide to upgrade to the K-Pro in the future.
Old 07-28-2004, 12:36 PM   #68
4thGenTeg
I support Death Panels

4thGenTeg has been a little shit in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickVIP

Any arguments?

Well, Conrad knows the most about the K-pro, but I'll argue and say the K-Pro should give you markedly better results with its more agressive timing increase and the option of the dual Vtec window.

"I made a mistake in presuming that the self-interests of organizations, specifically banks and others, were such that they were best capable of protecting their own shareholders and their equity in the firms." -- Former Federal Reserve Chairman Alan Greenspan, Congressional testimony, Oct. 2008

Rep. Joe Wilson (R- S. Carolina) has free Government-run healthcare. Do you?
4thGenTeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 12:50 PM   #69
conradb212
ECU Tuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thGenTeg
Well, Conrad knows the most about the K-pro, but I'll argue and say the K-Pro should give you markedly better results with its more agressive timing increase and the option of the dual Vtec window.

You are right. The K-Pro will give better numbers. But he asked what the best option was for someone who just gets started and doesn't plan on going nuts with mods right off the bat. For someone like that the reflash is a great way to get performance while getting to know the car.
Old 07-28-2004, 01:23 PM   #70
4thGenTeg
I support Death Panels

4thGenTeg has been a little shit in the past
True. Just remember, Maverick, most of "couldn't see ourselves going crazy" with mods when we started. Give it some thought and consider what you may want in the future.

4thGenTeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 04:47 PM   #71
MaverickVIP

Thanks guys... 4thGenTeq, Trust me, I know what you mean. I've been spending hours on this site daily reading up on just about everything and constantly adding to my wish list. I gotta start somewhere though, right??

I appreciate the responses
Old 07-28-2004, 05:09 PM   #72
MaverickVIP

And as a sidenote, From what I've been reading I agree that going K-Pro is better if I ever consider adding more mods in the future, however as Conrad said, if they can take off the price of the #4 when/if I update to the K-Pro, then my money was well spent.
Old 07-28-2004, 09:51 PM   #73
sk
I see what you did there

sk is a super person....that needs to get out more sk is a super person....that needs to get out more sk is a super person....that needs to get out more sk is a super person....that needs to get out more sk is a super person....that needs to get out more sk is a super person....that needs to get out more
sk is a super person....that needs to get out more sk is a super person....that needs to get out more sk is a super person....that needs to get out more sk is a super person....that needs to get out more sk is a super person....that needs to get out more sk is a super person....that needs to get out more sk is a super person....that needs to get out more sk is a super person....that needs to get out more sk is a super person....that needs to get out more sk is a super person....that needs to get out more sk is a super person....that needs to get out more sk is a super person....that needs to get out more sk is a super person....that needs to get out more sk is a super person....that needs to get out more sk is a super person....that needs to get out more sk is a super person....that needs to get out more sk is a super person....that needs to get out more sk is a super person....that needs to get out more
say the kpro will handle up to 12ibs of boost right now? when will kpro be able to handle more? will the sensor cost more?

Current Cars: 2007 Lexus IS350
sk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 03:14 AM   #74
conradb212
ECU Tuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk
say the kpro will handle up to 12ibs of boost right now? when will kpro be able to handle more? will the sensor cost more?
At some point Hondata will support a 3-bar sensor with the K-Pro. I don't know the specifics of the installation or which sensor they will support.
Old 07-30-2004, 12:11 AM   #75
2:43AM
I Hate Calvin Stickers

2:43AM is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Like Maverick, I am just getting started also. I am considering Reflash #2 or #4. I like the "safety" margain of the #2, but will probably go #4 because I will always wonder what 8600rpms would be like! Anyway, other than a lower VTEC point, does the Hondata upgrade change anything else over the stock programming such as A/F ratios, timing, etc. to get more power? Is it simply a lower VTEC point and a higher redline? That seems kind of simple for $600, no?
2:43AM is offline   Reply With Quote