Any audio experts out there? - Club RSX Message Board
Go Back   Club RSX Message Board > GENERAL RSX > The DIY Garage RSX
Use the same user name on Club RSX, Club EP3, and Club ILX!

Old 07-04-2019, 09:20 PM   #1
Gmo__dc5

Gmo__dc5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Gmo__dc5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Gmo__dc5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Gmo__dc5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Gmo__dc5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Gmo__dc5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Gmo__dc5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Gmo__dc5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Garage
Question Any audio experts out there?

Im in the market for a subwoofer/(s), and im fully decided on getting the mtx terminators, on amazon, or going full send on a bass machine and getting those and and pairing them with one or more ssl lo pro 8 self amplified subs . My main question is what is the max limitation for the rsx base as far as electrical load goes? if im not mistaken the MTX's by themselves run at about 400 watts rms and the ssl's dont have an rms rating on them but max out at *600 watts . Im not planning on maxing the subs out but i love bass and i was wondering how much is too much.
Gmo__dc5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2019, 08:49 AM   #2
mfarmakas17

mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
I'm not sure how much power you can run, but I do know that you don't need much more than 350-400 watts. I have a cheap piece of shit sub with an alpine amp pushing 400(or 450, can't remember) watts, and it's louder than any of my friends setups with their "1000 watt" dual sub setup.

I'd get an actual subwoofer with box and amp if I were you. The self powered ones are a great concept, but I don't believe you'd be happy with how much bass they produce. Looking at reviews, I see a lot of comments mentioning "just enough bass". If that's something you'd be fine with, look into another brand like JBL or Kicker. SSL seems like it’s a hit and miss.

Last edited by mfarmakas17; 07-05-2019 at 08:53 AM..
mfarmakas17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 12:20 PM   #3
red747

red747 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx red747 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx red747 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx red747 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx red747 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx red747 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx red747 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx red747 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx red747 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Far from an expert and I can't speak to what the limit would be, but I can tell you what I am running.

02 base
stock alt
0 awg front to back power
1 farad capacitor
1 Napa Legend battery up front(getting older)
mono block is roughly 1500rms
4 channel is a little over 400rms
18" fi ssd
6.5 components up front
2 way 6.5 rear

At night I dim the headlights at about half volume. Going up to my max volume(before speakers crap out), at an idle the tach will drop 150 to 250 rpm then recover every good hit from the sub. Cruising at 65 down the freeway battery voltage will dip to mid 11's, even at an idle raising tach to 4k it still dips pretty hard.

Realistically I don't turn it up that loud on a normal basis so it hasn't been an issue yet, but a new battery up front and a smaller secondary in the back would probably solve my issues.
red747 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-10-2019, 12:53 PM   #4
Kevink121
#Inkpot

Kevink121 is a glorious c-rsx member Kevink121 is a glorious c-rsx member Kevink121 is a glorious c-rsx member Kevink121 is a glorious c-rsx member Kevink121 is a glorious c-rsx member Kevink121 is a glorious c-rsx member Kevink121 is a glorious c-rsx member Kevink121 is a glorious c-rsx member Kevink121 is a glorious c-rsx member Kevink121 is a glorious c-rsx member Kevink121 is a glorious c-rsx member Kevink121 is a glorious c-rsx member Kevink121 is a glorious c-rsx member Kevink121 is a glorious c-rsx member Kevink121 is a glorious c-rsx member
^ thats a good first post, red. Have some posi rep.
Kevink121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 10:34 PM   #5
321FL_RSX

321FL_RSX is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 321FL_RSX is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 321FL_RSX is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 321FL_RSX is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 321FL_RSX is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 321FL_RSX is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 321FL_RSX is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 321FL_RSX is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by red747 View Post
Far from an expert and I can't speak to what the limit would be, but I can tell you what I am running.

02 base
stock alt
0 awg front to back power
1 farad capacitor
1 Napa Legend battery up front(getting older)
mono block is roughly 1500rms
4 channel is a little over 400rms
18" fi ssd
6.5 components up front
2 way 6.5 rear

At night I dim the headlights at about half volume. Going up to my max volume(before speakers crap out), at an idle the tach will drop 150 to 250 rpm then recover every good hit from the sub. Cruising at 65 down the freeway battery voltage will dip to mid 11's, even at an idle raising tach to 4k it still dips pretty hard.

Realistically I don't turn it up that loud on a normal basis so it hasn't been an issue yet, but a new battery up front and a smaller secondary in the back would probably solve my issues.

Nice man, Im running an old Fi SSD 12 from 2011 in mine. Still slams like it did from day one. I got upgraded battery upfront and in the back, got a 4 channel for the mids and one for the sub. The extra battery bank solved any rpm dipping issues I had, also didn't have to have the gain up as high as before so it should for sure help if you add some batteries in the future. I can go full tilt while idling with no issues
321FL_RSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 05:09 PM   #6
troye
Been Around for a while

troye is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
You don't need the capacitor.Upgrade your battery and also do the big three ground upgrade. If you are using the right gauge wires and such you should be all set.
troye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 01:31 PM   #7
jaymesbry

jaymesbry is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx jaymesbry is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx jaymesbry is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx jaymesbry is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx jaymesbry is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx jaymesbry is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx jaymesbry is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx jaymesbry is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmo__dc5 View Post
Im in the market for a subwoofer/(s), and im fully decided on getting the mtx terminators, on amazon, or going full send on a bass machine and getting those and and pairing them with one or more ssl lo pro 8 self amplified subs . My main question is what is the max limitation for the rsx base as far as electrical load goes? if im not mistaken the MTX's by themselves run at about 400 watts rms and the ssl's dont have an rms rating on them but max out at *600 watts . Im not planning on maxing the subs out but i love bass and i was wondering how much is too much.
It would really depend on what kind of music you like.

If its like quick moving bass, yea i forgot the real term, (Rock music) you probably need a sealed box.

If its like dubstep, rap, go for a ported box depending on what type of sub you are planning on.

The 8's seem like overkill, you don't need that if you're going to get some decent front 6.5's.

Since we have hatches, you don't need to go super crazy to get enough bass to make your head spin.

And dont forget to budget for some dynamat, or whatever the heck you use nowadays because you know this car gonna rattle a little.

Good luck, ill probably venture into my car audio after the summer!
jaymesbry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 01:27 AM   #8
Gmo__dc5

Gmo__dc5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Gmo__dc5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Gmo__dc5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Gmo__dc5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Gmo__dc5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Gmo__dc5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Gmo__dc5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Gmo__dc5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Garage
RE; iv egot my sub setup now after alot of research and figuring out how i could do this audio build as cheaply as possible, thanks everyone fo r the advice and i willl eventually get around to posting about it , i might even do a video link once i get it all together as soon as i get a day off from work
Gmo__dc5 is offline   Reply With Quote