Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

Air Conditioning problem. Can someone help diagnose

89K views 36 replies 31 participants last post by  CarolynVJ 
#1 ·
Hi I have 2002 Acura RSX-S. As of this summer my AC has not been working well. When I turn on the car...it blows cold air for a few minutes and then after that its not cold basic dry air. Every once in a while it will go back cold air for a short period of time along the trip. This is normally a bigger problem when the temperature is very hot outside.

For milder temperature it normally stays cold the whole time, but does tend to loose cold air sometimes too. I never had this problem till this summer and have lived in places with very hot weather.

I was wondering if someone can tell me what the problem is most likely and how much is about a fair price to get it fixed. I have limited auto knowledge and don't like it when I go the dealer/auto repair shop and they make a long estimate for repairs that are not needed. Thanks for your help!

#31 ·
Yikes, that sucks. I did notice that the main cooling fan is shot so ill be replacing that soon. the one for the A/C still works, for now. mine doesn't blow warm very long, 1-3 minutes, long enough to be noticeable. I also don't use the auto feature. would that component of the A/C system be causing it? is there a air temp sensor inside the cabin somewhere that feeds temp to a A/C brain so to speak for the auto feature?

#33 ·
The real way to diagnose is to hook up an A/C manifold and see if the high and low side are equalizing. If all seems well, the thermal valve TXV or orifice may be stuck or clogged. So all will function for a short period of time. Just replaced one on the easiest car to work on--Hyundai sonata. There"s is located in the engine bay, not sure on RSX. That valve, pressure switch and condensor are the main components for function, the rest of the system is important for efficiency or sources of leaks.

#34 ·
No Im not using the auto feature. To the other two replies, I will habe to educate myself a little more as the terms are above my knowledge. It is much appreciated though. Why would the local shops have so much trouble? The manual has a point-to-point inspection outline; wouldn't they at least follow it? Not just... recharge it with dye and see what happs?

#37 · (Edited)
God guys, you saved me, I drove a car without air conditioning for a couple of days. My friend and I were in Arizona on business. You understand perfectly well that the temperature here is so high that you can cook eggs on the hood of your car. Well, as you can imagine, my friend and I were forced to stay in one small town for one day. For this we rented a room for a day. We fixed the air conditioner in the car in half a day, in the evening we were already free. My friend and I decided to order pizza and have dinner in the room. We are sitting, eating, watching TV, when suddenly a friend gives out a phrase so that I take a look at the air conditioner in the room. I thought he was just joking at me, because I was tired, but no, there was still a strange inscription on the air conditioner "help me!" ... I decided to get up to look, I realized that it was a sticker, I decided to peel it off and pick it up, but I was disappointed on the back was the address Chemical Aircon Overhaul Price, Reasons & Benefits | Marvellous Aircon Servicing Singapore. It was a sticker with a service, but my friend and I laughed at the situations, it looked like the air conditioner was asking for help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.