Damaged OEM muffler - replacement options - Club RSX Message Board
Go Back   Club RSX Message Board > PERFORMANCE BASICS RSX > Bolt-On Basics: RSX Type-S
Use the same user name on Club RSX, Club EP3, and Club ILX!

Old 05-22-2018, 12:43 PM   #1
Thewrai6th

Thewrai6th is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Thewrai6th is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Thewrai6th is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Thewrai6th is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Thewrai6th is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Thewrai6th is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Thewrai6th is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Thewrai6th is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Damaged OEM muffler - replacement options

PO took my car on a bit of off-roading and the muffler is dented and scraped all down the catback.

I'm looking for a replacement cat-back exhaust. I read that the OEM piping for the 05 RSX-S is 57mm. I'm looking at the 60mm Apexi WS2 because I like how it sounds on my other Hondas. I'd pick up another OEM exhaust if I could find one.

I don't see much point in going larger than 60mm, with a stock header and cat.

If the cat is the restriction and the source of backpressure, I wouldn't expect any power gains or losses with 3mm larger piping. No point in going 3", as I have no plans to boost the K20Z1 or remove any smog equipment. Correct me if I'm wrong please
Thewrai6th is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2018, 03:12 PM   #2
mfarmakas17

mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
You'll still gain power with an exhaust that flows more freely, just not a whole lot. The cat is a restriction, but it wouldn't hurt to open up the exhaust after that. OEM resonator and muffler have a chambered design which also slows down the flow of exhaust. Exhaust gas velocity is what matters, not backpressure.

The 05 Type S has the Type R muffler (if I remember correctly) with the valve that opens at high rpms so it flows better than most factory mufflers, but still doesn't flow as well as a straight through muffler would.

You can make still make power with a 3 inch exhaust after tuning. This guy made some nice numbers in an A2 swap.
http://www.k20a.org/forum/showthread.php?t=46317
mfarmakas17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 03:46 PM   #3
Thewrai6th

Thewrai6th is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Thewrai6th is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Thewrai6th is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Thewrai6th is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Thewrai6th is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Thewrai6th is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Thewrai6th is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Thewrai6th is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfarmakas17 View Post
OEM resonator and muffler have a chambered design which also slows down the flow of exhaust. Exhaust gas velocity is what matters, not backpressure.
The 05 Type S has the Type R muffler (if I remember correctly) with the valve that opens at high rpms so it flows better than most factory mufflers, but still doesn't flow as well as a straight through muffler would.
Good info, thanks!
Interesting, i'll have to look into this muffler design. If there is a flow valve in there, that must be what is making the horrible whistling sound out of my exhaust.
I think I'll keep looking around for a larger diameter exhaust, but I can't stand raspy loud exhausts on my daily driver. I'm looking for that deep tone.

Old 05-22-2018, 04:33 PM   #4
mfarmakas17

mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
I think the Apexi would make more power, but the Invidia q300 is a relatively quiet exhaust too.

I used youtube when I picked my exhaust. Ended up with Magnaflow for the same reasons that you mentioned. Seems like it became a little louder over time unfortunately, but it's grown on me. Deep with no rasp, until the ITR header lol
mfarmakas17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 01:29 AM   #5
dopeyrsx

dopeyrsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dopeyrsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dopeyrsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dopeyrsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dopeyrsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dopeyrsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dopeyrsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dopeyrsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dopeyrsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Yonaka makes a copy of the Apexi catback for under $300.
dopeyrsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 08:17 AM   #6
Argonfree

Argonfree is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Argonfree is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Argonfree is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Argonfree is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Argonfree is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Argonfree is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Argonfree is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Argonfree is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Argonfree is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
try a Vibrant SS flat black straight thru muffler. Nice deep tone, not a rice muffler, quality sound.

$129.99 for 2.25" & 2.5"

You'll have to make your own hanger.

Worth it though, I have the same 2.5" muffler on my F22B1 accord. it has race header, no cat, Vibrant SS flex, Vibrant 12" straight thru resonator almost where the cat should be. It looks like a high flow cat lol. All 2.5" pipe. sounds amazing.

I am getting a 3" Vibrant straight thru muffler for my DC5.
Argonfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 12:48 PM   #7
IronGumby
05 Type S RH Reflash LSD

IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfarmakas17 View Post
I remember devoting to memory that the DC5R muffler is different/superior to the DC5S muffler by way of this flap opening vs the Type S's which just has perforated holes across from each other, no bypass door flap. The Type R's actually is like a straight shot across, no perforated holes, when the flow is high enough to overcome the flap's springs' tension. Here is an excerpt about it here: http://itr-dc5.club/tech/index.php

Quote:
The Type-R equips a new exhaust muffler that is constructed of variable pipes. The design can change silence priority by leading exhaust gas flow to variable paths with a silencer. At a low rpm region, silence priority becomes first. Sound is reduced and air current is reduced at the same time. As engine speed reaches near the 5,000 rpm, higher exhaust gas output becomes the priority that desires less back pressure. This design bumps up an extra 4 hp and 0.8 kg-m, than the predecessor model. Comparing at 8,000 rpm, about 1/3 of backpressure remains, therefore a large improvement in the power output was achieved at the dual e-type exhaust pipe. Moreover, sport nature was emphasized by the adoption of a larger diameter finish.
Here is the ITR Muffler internals:
Click image for larger version

Name:	DC5R Muffler Internals.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	544969

Last edited by IronGumby; 05-29-2018 at 01:22 PM.. Reason: fixed quote formating
IronGumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 01:37 PM   #8
Thewrai6th

I'm going to chop up the old muffler when I replace it. I'll post pics.
Thanks for all the replies!
Old 05-30-2018, 06:08 PM   #9
Thewrai6th

I didn't like the sound of the Q300, so I went with the WS2.
Old 05-31-2018, 01:29 PM   #10
IronGumby
05 Type S RH Reflash LSD

IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thewrai6th View Post
I didn't like the sound of the Q300, so I went with the WS2.
in person? or online
I'm wondering if I got the WS2 or Yonaka if my neighbors would notice
Old 06-05-2018, 04:46 PM   #11
Thewrai6th

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronGumby View Post
in person? or online
I'm wondering if I got the WS2 or Yonaka if my neighbors would notice
Online, it sounded a bit higher note than I wanted, but you never really know from internet videos. I was going to buy the Q300 from a local guy and then he told me he was selling it because it was too loud, so I decided to go with what I know should sound good to me. WS2 was more expensive by about $300, for smaller piping.
Unless you're bouncing off the rev limiter down your street, I doubt anyone would notice the WS2 over OEM, but my experience with these are with B/D series so we'll see tomorrow. Just got delivered today.
If I get time, I'll get some before/after video clips, and cut up the OEM muffler for inspection.
Old 06-06-2018, 12:45 PM   #12
Thewrai6th

I got my WS2 installed. Idle tone is slightly deeper than stock and possibly quieter. Because my OEM exhaust was damaged, the WS2 is quieter all the way to redline (my old muffler made a horrible whistling sound).
Not only did it fix the whistling sound, but it also does not lose HP over 7000 RPM anymore. Instead of hesitating and losing a bit of HP, it now pulls hard to redline. I thought it was the K series HP curve dropping off, but it was likely a restriction inside the broken stock muffler.
It was too late to cut up the OEM muffler, so maybe after work tonight I'll dismantle.
Old 06-07-2018, 01:06 PM   #13
IronGumby
05 Type S RH Reflash LSD

I have this whistle sound too, but I always attributed it to my adding of the header, where the test pipe mates up with the catback. But now that you mention it, I wonder if those perforated holes are now partially blocked with carbon and whistle trying to pass the air through 'em!

I need a catback. maybe a yonaka. I need to fix car first though (P0507 P2279 )
Old 06-07-2018, 03:46 PM   #14
Thewrai6th

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronGumby View Post
I need to fix car first though (P0507 P2279 )
Check for vacuum leaks before you move to the IACV. Shouldn't be too hard to run down.