Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

Clutch Replacement or Master Cylinder or...

1K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  marko16 
#1 ·
I just got a 2006 RSX. During the short pre-inspection my mechanic said the clutch fluid was low but found no indications of leaks. Without digging deeper, he's explanation was that the clutch was worn and might need replacement soon, but who knows when.

My 17 year old son drives it and he's new to manual. He seems to be doing pretty well actually. BUT, when I drive it, I can say that right at the end of the clutch throw (firewall side), the pedal feels spongy.

I have a good friend who has wrenched his whole life and had a different take on things. He thinks its more related to a leak in either the master cylinder, slave or in the line itself. This would be the only thing to cause the fluid drop.

The car has 133,000 miles and I have no idea how well it was driven or when the last clutch was installed (if ever).

Who has an opinion here?

Many thanks!!

#3 ·
if you do end up getting a new cmc, get the em2. the rsx has a huge flaw and it really sucks.

you could also replace the slave while you're at it too, if you wanted

#4 ·
Ok. Slow down for me please. I'm new to this car. Use small words for me....you said, "new cmc"... What is that? I guess it's a clutch, but what do the letters stand for?

"get the em2" huuuu?

"....the rsx has a huge flaw and it really sucks." WHAT IS THE FLAW???

Please explain.

#5 ·
CMC = clutch master cylinder

EM2 = chassis code for the 01-05 Civic

He's saying to use the Civic CMC as a replacement. Not sure about the supposed flaw.

#9 ·
Haha...

Many thanks to the code words. I appreciate that.

Update: my buddy who thought it might me the master cylinder drove it today. He definitely sided with my mechanic and agrees the clutch is slipping. He said it's not too bad and he just has to drive it easy until I can recoup my bank account and float him the thousand bucks for the job.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.