Riddle me this! Shop replacement I can't believe - Club RSX Message Board
Go Back   Club RSX Message Board > GENERAL RSX > Problems & Solutions RSX
Use the same user name on Club RSX, Club EP3, and Club ILX!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2018, 12:43 PM   #1
Naraku66600
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 1
iTrader: (0)
Naraku66600 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Naraku66600 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Naraku66600 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Naraku66600 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Naraku66600 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Naraku66600 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Naraku66600 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Naraku66600 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Riddle me this! Shop replacement I can't believe

Ok I bought a used rsx type s checked it over the best I could to make sure it was an a2 but the only thing I couldn't see was the stamp on the block everything was right and having crashed my ep3 a couple months before didn't question much after I hit vtec in the type s for the first time caught me by surprise and scared the shit out of me it's way faster runs great idle is good at 750 vtec at 5800 and it's undeniably faster than the ep3 so why would I think it was nothing but an a2 and I did my research cuz I didn't want to get tricked like others and seeing so many type s that had a3s I didn't want it well I finally saw the stamp a3 couldn't believe it off came the valve cover single lobe cams on the exhaust very sad day has a prb ecu no mods when I got it the guy wasn't into it (shop raped him for 2400$ for this a3 that they put in it total 3400$ btw) anyways from all iv read it's no possible to run right especially without k-pro or people try to saw it works and everyone calls bs but I'm not making shit up does anyone have an explanation?what would happen if i put an a2 head on it since it already runs like it does have vtec even thou it clearly does not would i even have to tune it? Idk what oil pump I have but it has the a2 pan they even swapped the valve cover to the Honda motor company one it looks like the took the open head and block of an a3 and put all of the stuff from the a2 back on. How does it seem to have vtec and the power it shouldn't because it's there the ep3 was fun and quick and this thing is a monster compared to it! Anyone care to try and explain?
Naraku66600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-11-2018, 11:27 AM   #2
jarettscapo
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 24
iTrader: (0)
jarettscapo is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx jarettscapo is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx jarettscapo is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx jarettscapo is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx jarettscapo is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx jarettscapo is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx jarettscapo is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx jarettscapo is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
when I got it the guy wasn't into it (shop raped him for 2400$ for this a3 that they put in it total 3400$ btw) anyways from all iv read it's no possible to run right especially without k-pro or people try to saw it works and everyone calls bs but I'm not making shit up does anyone have an explanation?

What the he'll does this even say tho? How couldn't u tell that it wasn't double cam and true vtec compared to single lobe?? What is it redlining at? Only thing I can think of is they reflashed ecu to make it feel different than a base. Point being either way if u were suspicious from the jump and looked for the engine code on the block you shouldnmt have bought it unless u saw it. I'm still blown away u couldn't tell the difference between the a3 and a2 when driving. How much did u pay? Got any pics of the setup or bay?
jarettscapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 01:41 PM   #3
joexsmoot
Member
 
joexsmoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: jersey
Posts: 120
iTrader: (1)
joexsmoot is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx joexsmoot is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx joexsmoot is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx joexsmoot is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx joexsmoot is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx joexsmoot is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx joexsmoot is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx joexsmoot is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
A3 has VTEC, its just kicks in at about 2200 RPM and is a lot less aggressive of a cam lobe, plus it's only on the intake side.

https://www.hondata.com/?_route_=tech-rsx-vtec-vtc

Easy way to tell in the future, plastic intake manifold = A3, metal = A2. If you wanted to change it over, you'd need at least the head, ECU, intake manifold, and a few other odds and ends. I am unsure if the wiring harnesses are the same either, so you might need to change that out as well. What is the block stamped as? A2 or A3? At that point, you might as well just buy a type unless your going to do it all yourself. Even still that's a decent amount of time and energy for a whole 40 hp, better putting that money toward a turbo kit ha
joexsmoot is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old 03-14-2018, 02:00 PM   #4
all<dc5
NA Today
 
all<dc5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Miami, Fl
Posts: 1,501
iTrader: (4)
all<dc5 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx all<dc5 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx all<dc5 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx all<dc5 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx all<dc5 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx all<dc5 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx all<dc5 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx all<dc5 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by joexsmoot View Post
A3 has VTEC, its just kicks in at about 2200 RPM and is a lot less aggressive of a cam lobe, plus it's only on the intake side.

https://www.hondata.com/?_route_=tech-rsx-vtec-vtc

Easy way to tell in the future, plastic intake manifold = A3, metal = A2. If you wanted to change it over, you'd need at least the head, ECU, intake manifold, and a few other odds and ends. I am unsure if the wiring harnesses are the same either, so you might need to change that out as well. What is the block stamped as? A2 or A3? At that point, you might as well just buy a type unless your going to do it all yourself. Even still that's a decent amount of time and energy for a whole 40 hp, better putting that money toward a turbo kit ha
Not necessarily. The EP3 K20A3 comes with the aluminum PRB intake manifold.
__________________
Show off thread:
http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread...945&highlight=
'03 RSX-S I/H/E/Kpro
'03 Tacoma Prerunner V6
all<dc5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 02:03 PM   #5
all<dc5
NA Today
 
all<dc5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Miami, Fl
Posts: 1,501
iTrader: (4)
all<dc5 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx all<dc5 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx all<dc5 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx all<dc5 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx all<dc5 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx all<dc5 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx all<dc5 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx all<dc5 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naraku66600 View Post
Ok I bought a used rsx type s checked it over the best I could to make sure it was an a2 but the only thing I couldn't see was the stamp on the block everything was right and having crashed my ep3 a couple months before didn't question much after I hit vtec in the type s for the first time caught me by surprise and scared the shit out of me it's way faster runs great idle is good at 750 vtec at 5800 and it's undeniably faster than the ep3 so why would I think it was nothing but an a2 and I did my research cuz I didn't want to get tricked like others and seeing so many type s that had a3s I didn't want it well I finally saw the stamp a3 couldn't believe it off came the valve cover single lobe cams on the exhaust very sad day has a prb ecu no mods when I got it the guy wasn't into it (shop raped him for 2400$ for this a3 that they put in it total 3400$ btw) anyways from all iv read it's no possible to run right especially without k-pro or people try to saw it works and everyone calls bs but I'm not making shit up does anyone have an explanation?what would happen if i put an a2 head on it since it already runs like it does have vtec even thou it clearly does not would i even have to tune it? Idk what oil pump I have but it has the a2 pan they even swapped the valve cover to the Honda motor company one it looks like the took the open head and block of an a3 and put all of the stuff from the a2 back on. How does it seem to have vtec and the power it shouldn't because it's there the ep3 was fun and quick and this thing is a monster compared to it! Anyone care to try and explain?
You could probably just swap to an A2 head and not have to do anything else if your ECU really is PRB.
__________________
Show off thread:
http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread...945&highlight=
'03 RSX-S I/H/E/Kpro
'03 Tacoma Prerunner V6
all<dc5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 07:29 AM   #6
joexsmoot
Member
 
joexsmoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: jersey
Posts: 120
iTrader: (1)
joexsmoot is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx joexsmoot is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx joexsmoot is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx joexsmoot is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx joexsmoot is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx joexsmoot is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx joexsmoot is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx joexsmoot is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by all<dc5 View Post
Not necessarily. The EP3 K20A3 comes with the aluminum PRB intake manifold.
Learned something new haha. All of the RSX's I saw had the plastic, but I guess one could swap the ep3 intake manifold. You'd have CEL "P1078" For the intake runner control valve malfunction.

Ask me how I know...
joexsmoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 08:01 AM   #7
CyborgGT
Master Member
 
CyborgGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,828
iTrader: (1)
CyborgGT is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx CyborgGT is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx CyborgGT is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx CyborgGT is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx CyborgGT is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx CyborgGT is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx CyborgGT is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx CyborgGT is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx CyborgGT is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by all<dc5 View Post
You could probably just swap to an A2 head and not have to do anything else if your ECU really is PRB.
Still wouldn't have the A2's compression ratio that those cams are designed to work with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joexsmoot View Post
Learned something new haha. All of the RSX's I saw had the plastic, but I guess one could swap the ep3 intake manifold. You'd have CEL "P1078" For the intake runner control valve malfunction.

Ask me how I know...
Isn't the only difference between the EP3 and base RSX the intake manifold? At least on an A3, that plastic dual-stage manifold apparently makes 10 lb-ft more torque than the PRB.
__________________
Project CB9 AeroR start-up: ////////// Slowly but surely...
2002 RSX b/a - daily
CyborgGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 09:33 AM   #8
mfarmakas17
Senior Member
 
mfarmakas17's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Camarillo, CA
Posts: 682
iTrader: (0)
mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx mfarmakas17 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyborgGT View Post
Still wouldn't have the A2's compression ratio that those cams are designed to work with.



Isn't the only difference between the EP3 and base RSX the intake manifold? At least on an A3, that plastic dual-stage manifold apparently makes 10 lb-ft more torque than the PRB.
The EP3 also has EPS instead of hydraulic
mfarmakas17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 01:40 PM   #9
all<dc5
NA Today
 
all<dc5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Miami, Fl
Posts: 1,501
iTrader: (4)
all<dc5 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx all<dc5 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx all<dc5 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx all<dc5 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx all<dc5 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx all<dc5 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx all<dc5 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx all<dc5 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyborgGT View Post
Still wouldn't have the A2's compression ratio that those cams are designed to work with.
Correct. Probably would still be better than the A3 head too, I've heard of people swapping the head to A2 with an A3 bottom end and from what I've heard it runs good. Tuning it shouldn't be necessary but would be ideal
__________________
Show off thread:
http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread...945&highlight=
'03 RSX-S I/H/E/Kpro
'03 Tacoma Prerunner V6

Last edited by all<dc5; 03-15-2018 at 01:45 PM..
all<dc5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
replacement , riddle , shop

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:50 PM.


Privacy Policy  |  Disclaimer Notice
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2001-2012, Club RSX, Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
This website is owned and operated by Club RSX, Inc.
Club RSX, Club EP3, and Club ILX are not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc.