Clutch Replacement Cost - Club RSX Message Board
Go Back   Club RSX Message Board > GENERAL RSX > Problems & Solutions RSX
Use the same user name on Club RSX, Club EP3, and Club ILX!

Old 03-12-2018, 02:45 PM   #1
nbeinh

nbeinh is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Clutch Replacement Cost

The clutch on my base model 02 RSX with 150k miles needs to be replaced. I barely have enough power out of the low gears to even drive the car now.

I was quoted $1200 for clutch kit and labor (3/4 or more being the labor) + possible additional 300 if the flywheel cannot be resurfaced. This is from a shop I have frequented in the past and expect their prices to be reasonable from experience.

Does this seem pricing seem about right? I am near Sacramento, CA.

Thanks
nbeinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2018, 02:49 PM   #2
dopeyrsx

dopeyrsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dopeyrsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dopeyrsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dopeyrsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dopeyrsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dopeyrsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dopeyrsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dopeyrsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dopeyrsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Look up the prices for the parts. OEM Type S clutch is like $150, flywheel resurface is $30. Labor is about $300-500. $1200 seems a lot.
dopeyrsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 12:22 PM   #3
01exkswap

01exkswap is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 01exkswap is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 01exkswap is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 01exkswap is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 01exkswap is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 01exkswap is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 01exkswap is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 01exkswap is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
you can do it yourself with the right tools in a couple of hours.. I have no mechinal background and am k swapping a em2 stage 3 clutch etc..
01exkswap is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-14-2018, 01:09 PM   #4
joexsmoot

joexsmoot is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx joexsmoot is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx joexsmoot is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx joexsmoot is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx joexsmoot is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx joexsmoot is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx joexsmoot is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx joexsmoot is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
That seems a little steep, seeing it doesn't take that long to replace. Honestly, if you have a jack and a few friends its an evening project. It sounds worse than it really is.

Most shops here in NJ would charge between 6-700, plus parts.

Look up in the DIY section on how to drop the transmission. It doesn't take a lot of skill, and saves you TONS of money. Worst case scenario? You cant finish and bring it to the shop using AAA. It'll cost you the same (or less) and hey, at least you tried!

Give it a shot. It's not that bad.
joexsmoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 01:21 PM   #5
rsx2slow

rsx2slow is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx rsx2slow is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx rsx2slow is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx rsx2slow is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx rsx2slow is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx rsx2slow is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx rsx2slow is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx rsx2slow is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Just ordered an EXEDY clutch kit on Amazon for 130+free shipping+no tax (to California). Got quoted 370 for the replacement from a local mechanic who has recently swapped an old clutch from a family members RSX. So, I do think you are paying too much.
rsx2slow is offline   Reply With Quote