DIY - Rear Pads Removal & Replacement - Club RSX Message Board
Go Back   Club RSX Message Board > GENERAL RSX > The DIY Garage RSX
Use the same user name on Club RSX, Club EP3, and Club ILX!

Old 11-19-2005, 02:18 PM   #1
Ju5t Ep3 Pr4ct1c3
Mountain Run?

Ju5t Ep3 Pr4ct1c3 is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
DIY - Rear Pads Removal & Replacement

I realize that these are not the exact same brakes as the rsxs but I believe that they are similar so this should help you guys out. Base guys here ya go!!!

This is a do-it-yourself guide for removing and replacing your rear brake pads on an 02 Honda Civic Si. I cannot emphasize how important it is that you know what you are doing. Improperly installing brake rotors or brake componets in general can seriously hurt or KILL YOU. Research before you install.

With that said, this is a DIY. I am not a professional mechanic but I have done this type of work before. This is only a guide this is not an instruction manual from a manufacturer. Other member's input is welcome in order to make this guide as easy and as safe as possible. Do not hold me responsible for an inproper install of your brakes, braking components, etc.

First you need to know the various parts in the brake system before you can get down and dirty.

Yellow: Brake Rotor
Blue: Brake Pad (what your are removing and replacing)
Red: Brake Caliper

Pads of choice for me were Hawk HPS brake pads. It would be best to resurface your rotors or at least sand them down with some sand paper so the pads seat properly.

Tools. The right tools make a hard job easy. The wrong tools make a easy job needlessly hard. You need the following to completely remove and reinstall your brake pads:

(FYI the "drive" is the opposite side of the socket. It is what your ratchet looks into. 3/8, and 1/2 Drives will be used)

(1) Jack
(2) Jack Stands
Choks or something to keep the car from rolling
(1) 1/2 Inch Drive Breaker Bar
(1) 1/2 Inch Drive Torque Wrench
(1) 1/2 Inch Drive Ratchet
(1) 1/2-3/8 Inch Drive Adapter (unless you have a 1/2 inch drive socket)
(1) 1/2 Inch Extension (optional)
(1) 19mm Socket 1/2 Inch Drive (1/2 Drive Strongly Recommended)
(1) 14mm Socket 3/8 Inch Drive
(1) 14mm Combo Wrench
(1) Flat Head Screwdriver (very large tip)
(1) Orange Bottle of CRC Disc Brake Quiet
(1) Small Bottle/Packet of Brake Grease
(1) Rag (used to clean excess silicon and Disc Brake Quiet)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

REAR PADS:

Unfortunately removing the rear brake pads requires that you remove the caliper. Start by loosening the lugs on the rear wheels that you will be removing. Do not remove the lugs just break them loose. Remember to put the choks or blocks of wood in place to keep the car from moving. Here is a photo (pic of the front but remove the lugs in the rear just like you would do in the front, same thing):

Next it is time to lift the car to a comfortable height so that you can work on it. The rear lifting point is located in the middle portion of the rear of the car. It is an actual hook. Here is the lifting point for the rear section of the car:

Remember to use JACK STANDS to hold the car. A jack is only used to lift the car. Not hold it. Never use a jack to hold the car while you work on it. Place the jack stands on the SEAM WELD located underneath along the side of the car. They will stick out farther then the rest of the seam. Here is a picture (pic of front caliper/wheel area but the seam looks the same in the rear):

"A man's ethical behavior should be based effectually on sympathy, education, and social ties; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after death."
Ju5t Ep3 Pr4ct1c3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2005, 02:19 PM   #2
Ju5t Ep3 Pr4ct1c3
Mountain Run?

The car should be lifted and supported by jack stands at this point. Now it is time to remove your sickass wheels :mtongue: exposing the brakes. Place the lugs along with the wheels so you do not loose them. (front wheel pic, but same as the back in removal)

Removal:

After the wheel is off the brakes should now be exposed. If the parking brake is pulled now would be a good time to release it. After you realease the parking brake locate the two 14mm mounting bolts for the rear caliper and use the 3/8 ratchet with 14mm socket for the upper one and also the 14mm combo wrench to remove the lower one. Make sure you are turning them the right way, they will take some strength to remove. Pictures:

Upper Rear 14mm Mounting Bolt:

Lower Rear 14mm Mounting Bolt:

After you remove the bolts do not take the calipers off. First before you remove the caliper you need to remove the 10mm bracket bolt that holds the fluid line as well as the 10mm bracket bolt that holds the parking brake line. With the two bolts fully removed place the caliper on top of the rear dust cover. NEVER let a caliper hang by the fluid line. Unfortunately for this step my camera bailed on me. In order to find these two brackets just follow both the brake lines and parking brake lines back towards the car and you will run right into the brackets.

Now you should be looking at a rotor with a caliper on top of it. Take the caliper and push both pads out. Remove the pads by simply pulling them out. Inspect the actual pad material and how the pads wore down. Improperly seated/installed pads will wear on one side more than the other. Also inspect the piston and the rubber dust seals. If there is any leak at all you need to either rebuild the caliper (its a slow bitchy process :mcry or buy a new caliper.

Next it is time to push the piston back into the caliper. Unlike the front piston the rear piston is not pushed in with a C clamp. Use your flat head screw driver with the large tip to turn the piston clockwise back into the caliper. It will be difficult at first but will get easier as you progress. Here are some pictures:

"A man's ethical behavior should be based effectually on sympathy, education, and social ties; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after death."
Old 11-19-2005, 02:20 PM   #3
Ju5t Ep3 Pr4ct1c3
Mountain Run?

Ok. You have successfully removed your old brake pads and pushed the piston into the caliper. It is now time to prep and install the new pads. Start by using your Brake Grease to liberally apply grease to where the new pads will slide into the caliper. They are small steel brackets called pad retainers. After applying your Brake Grease locate your new pads. Use your CRC Disc Brake Quiet to apply the orange lubricant to the back of the disc brake pad shims. Shims = Back of pad. Be very cautious not to get any Brake Grease or Disc Brake Quiet on the rotor or the pads. Here are some pictures for guidance: (pics are of the front pads but the process is the same)

Once you have the back of the brake pads lubricated place both the inboard and outboard pads into place in the caliper. Now you need to fit the caliper back over the rotor. This was a little tricky for my friend and I. What you need to do is pull the caliper apart a little. Where the outboard pad (one that is closest to you) is pull towards you. The caliper should actually open up more. After doing this you can re-fit the caliper back onto the rotor and began tightening the caliper bolts and the fluid line bolts.

*Please do not mistake one pad for the other or put them in backwards. You have the other side brake assembly for reference to look at.*

Torque Specs:
Lug Nuts: 80 Foot Pounds
Small Rotor Mounting Screws: 7.2 Foot Pounds
Brake Line Bracket Bolt: 16 Foot Pounds
Parking Bracket Bolt: 7.2 Foot Pounds
Caliper Mounting Bolts 14mm: 41 Foot Pounds

Aight you are now done. Do the same thing on the other side. I strongly recommend that you burnish/brake-in the new pads according to what you manufacturer recommends. Also you will have to pump the brake 3-5 times to get a firm pedal so do not drive off right away. Pull the ebrake and sit there pumping the pedal till the pads make contact with the rotors. Be very cautious driving because until the pads are fully broken in you will have almost no brakes!!! Also the pads/rotors are cold during the first drive so please be careful!!!

This is a comprehensive DIY for installing Rear Brake Pads made by me: Ju5t Ep3 Pr4ct1c3. I have no life :mgrin: . Big thanx to Jake for the help during the install.

Enjoy the Diy

Need More Brake Stuff: Here you go you bastards

DIY: R & R Front Pads
DIY: R & R Rear Brake Rotors
DIY: R & R Front Brake Rotors

Last edited by Ju5t Ep3 Pr4ct1c3; 11-20-2005 at 02:27 PM..

Old 11-19-2005, 02:52 PM   #4
jhova4hustla
Van City Love

jhova4hustla is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
awesome review man. Thx.
jhova4hustla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 08:34 PM   #5
Ju5t Ep3 Pr4ct1c3
Mountain Run?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhova4hustla
awesome review man. Thx.
No prob.
Old 11-20-2005, 01:00 AM   #6
VTEC_Inside
Mmm, 3rd lobe...

VTEC_Inside is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
If I may add, a rear brake caliper tool can make "pushing" the piston in MUCH easier.

One like in this pic can be bought pretty cheap. They aren't always perfect, but generally work well and are probably a bit safer than prying with a screwdriver.

1989 Honda Accord Coupe LX 5spd 2bbl 98hp 109lb/ft

Slushies are something to drink, not drive...
Nikon Crew Member #23 | Gripped D700/D200, 2.8 from 17-200
VTEC_Inside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 02:52 AM   #7
Ju5t Ep3 Pr4ct1c3
Mountain Run?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTEC_Inside
If I may add, a rear brake caliper tool can make "pushing" the piston in MUCH easier.

One like in this pic can be bought pretty cheap. They aren't always perfect, but generally work well and are probably a bit safer than prying with a screwdriver.

So thats what those little cube things are for lol. Ive seen them b4 but didnt even know. Thanx man.
Old 11-20-2005, 10:16 AM   #8
VTEC_Inside
Mmm, 3rd lobe...

VTEC_Inside is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ju5t Ep3 Pr4ct1c3
So thats what those little cube things are for lol. Ive seen them b4 but didnt even know. Thanx man.
Lol... Yeah, they are kinda weird looking.

You just use an extenstion on a 3/8 ratchet and plug it into the center square on whatever side works for you.

The different sides have different pin positions for different calipers. The "cube" may not have one that lines up 100% but generally there is one close enough to make life much easier.
1989 Honda Accord Coupe LX 5spd 2bbl 98hp 109lb/ft

Slushies are something to drink, not drive...
Nikon Crew Member #23 | Gripped D700/D200, 2.8 from 17-200
VTEC_Inside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 03:35 PM   #9
RSX01
Master Member

RSX01 is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
i was gonna do the rears the other day but did not want to open it up if i could not get it torqued again

just a problem with removing the caliper
- the top bolt i can access so i can remove it and re torque it, but its a tight area to get my torque wrench into
- the bottom bolt has a line in the way...i THINK its the handbrake one?...it basically goes over the lower bolt so you cant access it can this just be removed? (you can see it in the pic below, its the line with the little rubber covering it)..any tips?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ju5t Ep3 Pr4ct1c3
Lower Rear 14mm Mounting Bolt:
RSX01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 08:28 PM   #10
EzeE1o
Master Member

EzeE1o is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
just finished changing both front and rear pads, these threads helped a lot....+rep

btw, for the rsx at least, the handbrake bracket bolt and the brake line bracket bolts are 12mm, not 10mm, might want to edit it. i was sitting under the car looking for a 10mm bolt but couldnt find one, i thought my instincts were wrong when the brackets you described were not 10mm
EzeE1o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 04:21 PM   #11
Hammerhead i-Eagle Thrust
Expert Troll

Hammerhead i-Eagle Thrust is on a distinguished road Hammerhead i-Eagle Thrust is on a distinguished road
lol u turn them to push them in...could have used that info yesterday
Hammerhead i-Eagle Thrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 03:01 AM   #12
daswassup!
Attention Getter

daswassup! is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
thanx 4 the info...i'm doin my brakes this weekend...
If I shove a potato in my cam's it will probably fuck something up too, I guess that's using a potatoe incorrectly
daswassup! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 02:41 PM   #13
MemphisRSXs
Killin'em out here

MemphisRSXs is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
great write...did it with ease thanks to you
- DIY Blackout Headlights
MemphisRSXs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 02:52 PM   #14
Rey M.
Master Member

Rey M. is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by molten SlushBOX View Post
lol u turn them to push them in...could have used that info yesterday
LOL thats funny imagine you trying to push them back in

and the bolts that go into the sliding caliper pins are 16 or 18 ft. lbs, if i remember correctly...

dont need to remove the bracket, just the sliding caliper..

Last edited by Rey M.; 03-14-2008 at 02:56 PM..
Rey M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 08:58 PM   #15
inmydream316
Kevin★05 DC5-S

inmydream316 is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
cant see those pix anymore. reupload them!!!
Visit my blog for DC5
inmydream316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 09:04 PM   #16
IHateMyWrx

IHateMyWrx is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
word please reload I'm doing mine soon.
IHateMyWrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 04:23 AM   #17
dc5dc2

dc5dc2 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dc5dc2 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dc5dc2 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dc5dc2 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dc5dc2 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dc5dc2 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dc5dc2 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dc5dc2 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
hey bro if u still have those pix it would be of great help if u loaded them up oh n do u know how to adjust the hand brake? thanks
Old 04-22-2010, 07:15 PM   #18
prl67

prl67 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx prl67 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx prl67 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx prl67 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx prl67 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx prl67 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx prl67 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx prl67 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
I've been looking for this, thanks!!! I'm doing mine tommorrow
prl67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 08:25 PM   #19
marroquin57
RIP Guru

marroquin57 is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
pics?>

Quote:
Originally Posted by josolanes View Post
car > girl
both cars and girls use a lot of your money (especially when modding), but the car will never leave you for another driver
marroquin57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 07:23 AM   #20
Drewpreme
( ‾ʖ̫‾)

Drewpreme is not even half way to the top Drewpreme is not even half way to the top
Drewpreme is not even half way to the top Drewpreme is not even half way to the top Drewpreme is not even half way to the top Drewpreme is not even half way to the top Drewpreme is not even half way to the top Drewpreme is not even half way to the top Drewpreme is not even half way to the top Drewpreme is not even half way to the top Drewpreme is not even half way to the top Drewpreme is not even half way to the top Drewpreme is not even half way to the top Drewpreme is not even half way to the top Drewpreme is not even half way to the top Drewpreme is not even half way to the top Drewpreme is not even half way to the top Drewpreme is not even half way to the top
nice write up regardless of the pics not working.

never used that rear brake caliper tool. big ass flathead screwdriver and turn that bitch like a screw works great.
Drewpreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 10:21 AM   #21
tooslowtoohappy
oops.

tooslowtoohappy is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx tooslowtoohappy is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx tooslowtoohappy is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx tooslowtoohappy is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx tooslowtoohappy is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx tooslowtoohappy is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx tooslowtoohappy is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx tooslowtoohappy is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
doing my brakes today...even though ive done plenty of brake jobs i always like having a first hand referance to go by incase of unforseen problems...especially when its my baby
tooslowtoohappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 06:56 PM   #22
nperkins

nperkins is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx nperkins is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx nperkins is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx nperkins is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx nperkins is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx nperkins is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx nperkins is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx nperkins is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
nice write up.. And these are some of the EASIEST rear pads i've EVER replaced...
nperkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 12:54 PM   #23
mtxjohn
02 blue type-s

mtxjohn is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Correct torque

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey M. View Post
LOL thats funny imagine you trying to push them back in

and the bolts that go into the sliding caliper pins are 16 or 18 ft. lbs, if i remember correctly...

dont need to remove the bracket, just the sliding caliper..
YES!! Not 41ft-lbs unless you want to add "strip out caliper bolts and spend hundreds of dollars on new calipers" to this DIY. All three bolts are 16 ft-lbs. Page 1421 (19-21) of the shop manual. Also to screw in the caliper's piston I used a big and small L shaped Stanley prybar..worked perfectly after nearly doingdamage with a hammer and screwdriver.
2002 RSX-S (196,000 miles ) WD-40 stands for Water Displacement. It is NOT a proper lubricant. In fact, if you try to use it as such it will wash away (dissolve) any actual lubricant that was there to start with.
I'm the top RSX on Fuelly!!!
http://www.fuelly.com/driver/mtxjohn/rsx
An armed man in a citizen, an unarmed man is a peasant.
mtxjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 02:18 PM   #24
saul.villa
Saul

saul.villa might be well recognized one day on c-rsx saul.villa might be well recognized one day on c-rsx saul.villa might be well recognized one day on c-rsx saul.villa might be well recognized one day on c-rsx saul.villa might be well recognized one day on c-rsx saul.villa might be well recognized one day on c-rsx saul.villa might be well recognized one day on c-rsx saul.villa might be well recognized one day on c-rsx
i changed my rears the other day and have now encountered a problem. my rear pads are touching the rotor at all times, even when the e brake is not pulled up. there's a burning smell coming from them too
there was also smoke coming from them when i got out of the car earlier
what did i do wrong?
thanks
saul.villa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 02:16 PM   #25
saul.villa
Saul

saul.villa might be well recognized one day on c-rsx saul.villa might be well recognized one day on c-rsx saul.villa might be well recognized one day on c-rsx saul.villa might be well recognized one day on c-rsx saul.villa might be well recognized one day on c-rsx saul.villa might be well recognized one day on c-rsx saul.villa might be well recognized one day on c-rsx saul.villa might be well recognized one day on c-rsx
nevermind
problem fixed
saul.villa is offline   Reply With Quote