Passenger Airbag Replacement DIY - Club RSX Message Board
Go Back   Club RSX Message Board > GENERAL RSX > The DIY Garage RSX
Use the same user name on Club RSX, Club EP3, and Club ILX!

Old 02-20-2012, 12:16 AM   #1
RSlowXS
Master Member

RSlowXS is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx RSlowXS is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx RSlowXS is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx RSlowXS is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx RSlowXS is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx RSlowXS is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx RSlowXS is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx RSlowXS is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx RSlowXS is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Passenger Airbag Replacement DIY

Disclaimer: I am not responsible for any injury should you accidentally screw up
Just thought to write you guys up a DIY since today I replaced my Passenger Airbag and I have been looking for a DIY for days now and found none just bits of info here and there and parts of the helms manual.

NOTE: This DIY should be used for reference to replacing the passenger airbag only.

I used this DIY for my driver's airbag replacement when I swapped wheels: http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2484761

Should you be replacing any SRS piece, be sure to replace the SRS Module like so here in this thread: http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=718402

If your seatbelt is also locked you will need to have the tensioners reset or replaced (not sure if Acura/Honda warrants that for free if from an accident) but to my knowledge you cannot reset the SRS light if your seatbelt is locked.

What you need:
10mm head ratchet/driver
Pliers
Zip Tie or two

From this:

PreStep - By disconnecting your battery, your OEM Radio (I have the bose) will lock and need a code to restart. The reset code is located on the left side of the glove box! Make sure you have that code or know how to get it reset if you want to use your radio after this DIY.

1. FIRST DISCONNECT YOUR BATTERY AND WAIT 3 MINUTES (according to the helms manual)

2. Remove the glovebox.

- To do so, open and clean out box.
- There are two rubber stoppers on either side, move the box in a tad, and on the outside edge of the box just push in and the rubber stoppers will pop out allowing the glove box to freely rotate.
- You can remove the box completely with other two bolts but it didnt affect installation.

Sorry its hard to see (crappy cell phone pics)

3. In front you will see the cabin filter (I took the time to remove and shake out some dirt and leaves that I found trapped inside)

ABOVE that should be a 3 nuts affixed to a welded piece of pipe
-Undo them and remove.

4. Next you want to unplug the yellow airbag harness.

-Before you start yanking away at the bag, the part that plugs into the bag is attached inside at 2 points. The first point is on the yellow harness itself pictured here:

I ended up trying to slide it out with no luck yet but I didnt want to break it in the process.

Next along the wire about 2 inches from the harness it is secured to another group of wires, I ended up breaking those off to free the airbag's wiring. (Nothing a few zip ties cant fix.

5. Now you can begin removing the airbag.
-You can work the sides out (its rubber so its flexible)
-Then I was about to get around the front of the top cover and pop it out and then you can slide it forward and up and then pull it out.
-You might have to snake the wire out from the jumble down underneath to free it, be patient and gentle.

6. Slide the new bag lining up the three screw holes and then pop the sides in and rebolted it back up and tied the wires back together and you should be good to go!

7. Reconnect the battery, take cover and start your car.

8. Assuming it didnt blow, you can take the steps to reset your SRS light if still on and turn the radio on and it should say "CODE" plug in the corresponding code found on the left side of the glovebox and it should be good to go!

Great Success

Good luck!
RSlowXS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2012, 12:52 AM   #2
hellaslowteg
S2000

hellaslowteg is a glorious c-rsx member hellaslowteg is a glorious c-rsx member hellaslowteg is a glorious c-rsx member hellaslowteg is a glorious c-rsx member hellaslowteg is a glorious c-rsx member hellaslowteg is a glorious c-rsx member hellaslowteg is a glorious c-rsx member hellaslowteg is a glorious c-rsx member hellaslowteg is a glorious c-rsx member hellaslowteg is a glorious c-rsx member hellaslowteg is a glorious c-rsx member hellaslowteg is a glorious c-rsx member hellaslowteg is a glorious c-rsx member hellaslowteg is a glorious c-rsx member
good ass d.i.y.
hellaslowteg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:39 PM   #3
JetBlue23
NVMYTYPR

JetBlue23 is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Great DIY , worked like a charm!!!

Old 06-05-2013, 11:41 PM   #4
RSlowXS
Master Member

RSlowXS is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx RSlowXS is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx RSlowXS is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx RSlowXS is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx RSlowXS is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx RSlowXS is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx RSlowXS is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx RSlowXS is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx RSlowXS is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetBlue23 View Post
Great DIY , worked like a charm!!!
Glad to know someone ended up using my work! Good to know it worked out!
Old 03-18-2015, 01:51 PM   #5
808Dreamer

808Dreamer is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 808Dreamer is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 808Dreamer is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 808Dreamer is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 808Dreamer is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 808Dreamer is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 808Dreamer is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx 808Dreamer is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Nice write up! I want to just do a delete an do away with the passanger airbag. Is it possible?
808Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 02:31 PM   #6
RSlowXS
Master Member

Follow this diy and unplug and remove your airbag. Then you'll have to custom do a tray in there. Spaz relocated his fuses in there which was pretty neat. You can take the cover off your bag and just put it on the dash.
Old 09-01-2017, 06:08 PM   #7
d.stevenson

d.stevenson might be well recognized one day on c-rsx d.stevenson might be well recognized one day on c-rsx d.stevenson might be well recognized one day on c-rsx d.stevenson might be well recognized one day on c-rsx d.stevenson might be well recognized one day on c-rsx d.stevenson might be well recognized one day on c-rsx d.stevenson might be well recognized one day on c-rsx d.stevenson might be well recognized one day on c-rsx
can the pictures get reuploaded?
d.stevenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 07:44 PM   #8
RSlowXS
Master Member

Unfortunately they are gone I can't get them off photobucket because they are in an old account I don't have the login in to :/

It's super easy and straightforward in my description though and literally drop the glovebox and find the couple bolts and unplug and drops right in!
Old 09-17-2017, 05:30 AM   #9
SussyRSX

SussyRSX is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx SussyRSX is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx SussyRSX is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx SussyRSX is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx SussyRSX is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx SussyRSX is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx SussyRSX is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx SussyRSX is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Seems pretty simple even without the pictures. Great guide!
SussyRSX is offline   Reply With Quote