Innovative Mounts, install and review - Page 18 - Club RSX Message Board
Go Back   Club RSX Message Board > SUSPENSION > Suspension, Chassis & Brakes
Use the same user name on Club RSX, Club EP3, and Club ILX!

Old 12-16-2006, 08:01 AM   #426
Fade2Black
Retired OG

Fade2Black must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Fade2Black must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Fade2Black must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Fade2Black must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Fade2Black must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Fade2Black must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own
Fade2Black must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Fade2Black must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Fade2Black must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Fade2Black must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Fade2Black must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Fade2Black must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Fade2Black must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Fade2Black must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Fade2Black must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Fade2Black must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Fade2Black must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Fade2Black must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Fade2Black must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Fade2Black must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Fade2Black must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Fade2Black must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Fade2Black must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Fade2Black must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulkramer View Post
How in the hell did you do that? I'm working from underneath, so I should be able to push the front mount out that way, but it needs to go up far enough to clear the mounting bracket on the subframe.......I've practically dropped the subframe out of the car; it's a few inches lower than normal, but it's still not far enough to move the mount past the radiator fan and the subframe bracket........

Anyone? I really don't want to drop the subframe completely - I don't have the resources to get it back in! Not to mention all the other stuff I will have to disconnect in order to remove it.

i never touched the subframe to install the front mount. i guess you can do it from the top,like the post above me says....but what is the issue you are coming across...

2016 Honda Accord EX-L V6 - Injen CAI - RV6 PCD'S and J-Pipe - RV6 Double resonated midpipe - 25.4mm RSB
2002 SSM Type S - gone
RIP 2002 NHBP Type S - 452whp/358tq pump gas
Fade2Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2006, 08:49 AM   #427
paulkramer

paulkramer is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fade2Black View Post
i never touched the subframe to install the front mount. i guess you can do it from the top,like the post above me says....but what is the issue you are coming across...
You guys......amazing. I don't know how that is possible!

The issue I'm coming across is that as I attempt to remove the front mount (removing bolts was no problem) it keeps hitting the radiator and therefore won't slide up /out of its little pocket in the subframe. If I angle it towards the driver side (as I imagine caeavesRSX must have), the passenger side of the mount strikes some metal thing bolted to the engine - don't know what it is. Of course, I can't slide it out by moving it towards the front of the car - there's absolutely not enough room to do that.

I'll try caeavesRSX's suggestion. What have I got to lose now?
paulkramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 08:54 AM   #428
Fade2Black
Retired OG

Fade2Black must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Fade2Black must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Fade2Black must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Fade2Black must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Fade2Black must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Fade2Black must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own
Fade2Black must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Fade2Black must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Fade2Black must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Fade2Black must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Fade2Black must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Fade2Black must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Fade2Black must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Fade2Black must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Fade2Black must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Fade2Black must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Fade2Black must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Fade2Black must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Fade2Black must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Fade2Black must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Fade2Black must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Fade2Black must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Fade2Black must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own Fade2Black must be an admin because here is no way they could have reached this amount on their own
Quote:
You guys......amazing. I don't know how that is possible!

The issue I'm coming across is that as I attempt to remove the front mount (removing bolts was no problem) it keeps hitting the radiator and therefore won't slide up /out of its little pocket in the subframe. If I angle it towards the driver side (as I imagine caeavesRSX must have), the passenger side of the mount strikes some metal thing bolted to the engine - don't know what it is. Of course, I can't slide it out by moving it towards the front of the car - there's absolutely not enough room to do that.
I'll try caeavesRSX's suggestion. What have I got to lose now?
are you talking about the slave cylinder? thats the closest thing i can think of..... you can take off the 2 radiator supports and tilt the radiator a bit so you have some clearance to pull the mount out towards that also.... you have nothing to lose now, just see if you can get a buddy to assist you...sometimes 2 heads are better than one... and good luck. I will try to help ya out..

2016 Honda Accord EX-L V6 - Injen CAI - RV6 PCD'S and J-Pipe - RV6 Double resonated midpipe - 25.4mm RSB
2002 SSM Type S - gone

Old 12-16-2006, 09:21 AM   #429
rsxdude
Asian dude

rsxdude is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Did you remove the rear mount? It would be easier to do that way. You can tilt the motor rearward. That would give you the extra room to remove the front mount.
rsxdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 09:26 AM   #430
paulkramer

Thanks for the suggestions guys!

I loosened the rear mount, but didn't remove it, once I realized that the engine is also bolted to the body and therefore holding the subframe up.

caeavesRSX makes it sound like it's no problem to just slide it out towards the drivers side after removing the battery and intake.
Old 12-16-2006, 10:05 AM   #431
paulkramer

caeavesRSX, you're a genius!!

You were right - a little wiggling after removing the battery and intake, and it came out! Good thing too - the front is the only one of my four mounts that was clearly broken!

Getting the Innovative in the same way is proving to be a little trickier than removing the OEM, probably because it is longer fore/aft. But I'm sure I'll get it in.

Thanks again!
Old 12-16-2006, 12:50 PM   #432
paulkramer

Damn, it's been almost three hours since my last post......

I removed the bumper so I could remove the radiator brackets to slide the mount into place. Simple enough. Then, to draw it into the bracket on the subframe - damn! what a tight fit! And no room to pound it in with a persuader....

It's almost home, I still have about 1/8" to go before I can push the through bolt in place. And I can't start the top passenger side bolt - the one that holds the mount to the engine/tranny. The other two are fine, but this one just won't thread. Of course, it's the least accessible one, so I can't really tell if it's lined up perfectly, or the trans hole is cross-threaded, or what.

Anyone else have trouble with that bolt?
Old 12-16-2006, 04:31 PM   #433
paulkramer

Now I've finally got the through bolt in, but not out the other side.

I don't know how the hell to move things around any more to get it all the way through. Only the bottom bolt is making contact with the engine/tranny. The upper driver's side bolt is already maxed out on torque, and it's a good 1/8" away from being home!!

I can't even thread the third passenger side bolt....
Old 12-16-2006, 04:35 PM   #434
bluej511
Name's Vic

bluej511 is a hardcore rep whore
bluej511 is a hardcore rep whore bluej511 is a hardcore rep whore bluej511 is a hardcore rep whore bluej511 is a hardcore rep whore bluej511 is a hardcore rep whore bluej511 is a hardcore rep whore bluej511 is a hardcore rep whore bluej511 is a hardcore rep whore bluej511 is a hardcore rep whore bluej511 is a hardcore rep whore bluej511 is a hardcore rep whore bluej511 is a hardcore rep whore bluej511 is a hardcore rep whore bluej511 is a hardcore rep whore bluej511 is a hardcore rep whore bluej511 is a hardcore rep whore
thread all the bolts that hook into the tranny first THEN and only then thread the bolt that goes thru
Armenian crsx crew member #6
02' RSX-S 179k mi, 14.5 @97. Sold after 12years.
13' Trek Madone 5.2. 2012 Swift Sport

bluej511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 04:39 PM   #435
paulkramer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluej511 View Post
thread all the bolts that hook into the tranny first THEN and only then thread the bolt that goes thru
I tried that approach......then I thought that by inserting the through bolt I could pull/push the mount closer to the engine so I could thread those bolts....I couldn't move the mount close enough to the engine any other way...

One of the bolts won't thread because the mount isn't shaped quite right, I think. Another couple of guys had similar problems - I think with the same bolt.
Old 12-16-2006, 04:42 PM   #436
paulkramer

There's just no room for leverage to push that damn mount into place.....I'm using the jack on the engine/tranny and a pry bar between the mount and the subframe. That's about all I have room for.

That damn mount is so tight - why'd they make it so damn tight!!??
Old 12-16-2006, 06:32 PM   #437
paulkramer

This front mount is a POS. I wish I had listened to the few who said it had fitment issues.....

One of the tabs that mounts to the tranny doesn't even curve around (if you've seen the front mount, you know what I mean) enough to mate to the transmission - it also has a slot instead of a hole. And the other side is so hard to see - I can't start the bolt there but I sure as hell can't tell which way the mount needs to move in order to line up properly.

I'm ready to put my broken OEM mount back in - except I don't think I'll ever be able to get the IMM out now....

Fuck!
Old 12-16-2006, 08:21 PM   #438
paulkramer

It ain't over 'til the fat lady sings, but I might have all but one bolt done.

The last one is the driver side tab - the slotted one. That tab is flat, and it strikes the transmission housing with one of its corners WAY before it is flush against the transmission. It looks as if it was designed to be used with washers.

Can anyone confirm this?

Shit, these things had better outlast the car - I sure as hell don't want to go through this crap again!
Old 12-16-2006, 08:40 PM   #439
Ryan
Bowchickabowwow !!!

Ryan is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Ryan is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Ryan is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Ryan is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Ryan is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Ryan is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Ryan is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Ryan is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Ryan is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
all three mounts fit perfect for me. for the driver side tranny mount i started the 3 bolts to mount the mount down first, then put the long bolt through. the mounts all fit perfectly.
2004 S2000
2006 WRX
2006 SC'd RSX-S
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 09:36 PM   #440
paulkramer

Quote:
Originally Posted by damnitzryan View Post
all three mounts fit perfect for me. for the driver side tranny mount i started the 3 bolts to mount the mount down first, then put the long bolt through. the mounts all fit perfectly.
Yes, those three fit perfect (well, almost) for me too.

I'm referring to the front mount, not those other three.....
Old 12-16-2006, 11:31 PM   #441
paulkramer

Anyone have any tips for moving the front mount around so I can slide the through bolt through?

Damn it - I had it in once, then I removed it, foolishly thinking it would enable me to line up the other bolt holes.

As it is, I have the bottom and the driver side mount bolts in. The passenger side bolt won't line up, and I can't jack the mount/engine/transmission around enough to line up the through bolt hole.

This is the worst day I have had with this car......man, am I dispirited...
Old 12-16-2006, 11:39 PM   #442
Fade2Black
Retired OG

jack under the oil pan?

2002 SSM Type S - gone
Old 12-17-2006, 12:48 AM   #443
paulkramer

Quote:
jack under the oil pan?
LOL - I've been jacking, that barely moves the mount.

I aligned it last time with an assortment of screwdrivers, socket extensions, etc.

Not working this time.
Old 12-17-2006, 01:37 AM   #444
bluej511
Name's Vic

bluej511 is a hardcore rep whore
bluej511 is a hardcore rep whore bluej511 is a hardcore rep whore bluej511 is a hardcore rep whore bluej511 is a hardcore rep whore bluej511 is a hardcore rep whore bluej511 is a hardcore rep whore bluej511 is a hardcore rep whore bluej511 is a hardcore rep whore bluej511 is a hardcore rep whore bluej511 is a hardcore rep whore bluej511 is a hardcore rep whore bluej511 is a hardcore rep whore bluej511 is a hardcore rep whore bluej511 is a hardcore rep whore bluej511 is a hardcore rep whore bluej511 is a hardcore rep whore
try to get some pics if possible that would be a huge help
Armenian crsx crew member #6
02' RSX-S 179k mi, 14.5 @97. Sold after 12years.
13' Trek Madone 5.2. 2012 Swift Sport

bluej511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 02:02 AM   #445
Ryan
Bowchickabowwow !!!

Ryan is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Ryan is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Ryan is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Ryan is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Ryan is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Ryan is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Ryan is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Ryan is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Ryan is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Quote:
Yes, those three fit perfect (well, almost) for me too.

I'm referring to the front mount, not those other three.....
woops sorry. thats what i get for skipping posts. good luck on the mount
2004 S2000
2006 WRX
2006 SC'd RSX-S
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 09:39 AM   #446
paulkramer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluej511 View Post
try to get some pics if possible that would be a huge help
Yeah, as soon as I unfold my back, I'll assume the position again - on the floor, under the car - LOL!

I think if I had some sort of tapered metal thing - like a punch - I could ram it in the hole and align the two holes - and maybe they would stay aligned long enough for me to slip the bolt in once I removed that too.

Thing is, I don't posess such a tool. Screwdrivers and jacking have worked for the other mounts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by black dc5 View Post
Sorry to hear about you troubles w/ the front mount. May I ask why you wanted to add the front as well? I have the other 3 mounts in and they are doing their job just fine, I don't really see why else I would need the front mount. If anything I've been thinking of upgrading to the race kit. The "solid" kit just intimidates me lol.
Because I'm an anal idiot, that's why. Seriously, I figured it would be of benefit - and I didn't anticipate this much installation trouble....
Old 12-17-2006, 09:44 AM   #447
Fade2Black
Retired OG

try loosening the rear mount a wee bit to get a little play to the motor?

2002 SSM Type S - gone
Old 12-17-2006, 10:04 AM   #448
paulkramer

Here it is.....

Hopefully it's clear enough so you can see - the mount/engine needs to move rearward for me to be able to insert the bolt.....I can move it up slightly, but not back/rearward...

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y79...r/PICT0092.jpg
Old 12-17-2006, 10:07 AM   #449
paulkramer

Quote:
try loosening the rear mount a wee bit to get a little play to the motor?
I don't know.....I tightened the rear mount late yesterday - I had loosened all the bolts and removed the front funny - looking one.....when I tightened them all up, the engine actually moved rearward - just not enough.

I'm also afraid I'll be playing the same game I did with the bolts on the front mount - loosen one to get to another - then can't get the other one back. Ended up chasing my tail, going in circles with that game.

If the front mount isn't important with the other three IMMs installed, .....nah, I'll never get that freaking thing out of there to reinstall my broken OEM mount...
Old 12-17-2006, 10:07 AM   #450
Fade2Black
Retired OG

from the looks of it, loosen the side mounts a little and carefully jack the motor up a bit in the front to get that to line up

2002 SSM Type S - gone