Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

3 cars to choose from

Tags
cars choose
2K views 35 replies 12 participants last post by  140110 
#1 ·
Hey everyone, new here.

I'm about to buy my first RSX ever. I saved I have my choose of the litter.

There's an 04 type S, 160k miles great condition. $5k

There's an 06 type S, 167k miles great condition. $5k

There's an 06 base model 89k miles needs paint on front bumper, otherwise great condition. $4k

High mile type S or low mile base? Thoughts and input is appreciated as I've never bought a car this expensive before.

#2 ·
Between the type s, id go with the 06 engine wise. But personally I like the 02-04 body style more.

But that base also has basically half the miles and a $1000 cheaper.

I guess it depends on your goals and driving habits. Daily driver? Do you tend to whip it a lot on the street driving like you stole it? OR you do drive more so like a grandma? Do you plan on modding it or keeping it stock? I would definitely go check them all out before solidifying a choice, you may find little things wrong with one and not the others.

#3 ·
Engine wise for the k20z1 I agree going with the 06. The 06 is 118 miles from where I live ugh. I know parts are a little more sparse for 05-06.

The car will be my daily driver and I will take care of it. I'd like to mod it with some basics like headers, exhaust, coil overs ECT, maybe boost one day but no ricer garbage. I want something I'd love putting money into and the investment being worth it. I want to baby it yet be able to rev the pants off it when I feel like it.

The base model is tempting because of the low miles, but I've always wanted a type S. I just don't want to make a mistake. The only type S I've found with low miles are at dealerships and out of my price range charging 8k-10k$

#4 ·
If you want to go fast, get the second gen Type S. Even with bolt ons, the base will be a slower car. If speed isn’t your concern, get what your wallet likes and what you feel is the better deal.

Most people will say that it’s not worth the cost to throw parts on a base, but I haven’t regretted it yet. It’s by no means fast, but it’s a capable daily and it’s fun to drive.

#5 ·
I say the base is a good option, as long as its a 5 speed. If you aren't looking to go fast and be a street racer the base is perfectly acceptable. esp if you have plans of modding and possible turbo later on down the road, you'll want an engine with less wear and tear on it. The problem is buying a used Type-S is like buying a used WRX or Evo, its almost gauranteed that someone beat on it at some point in its life. I personally own a 2003 5 Speed base and I originally wanted a type s but I've owned it for 8 years and have absolutely no regrets. I just focused my mods on its strengths, most of the money i dumper into suspension parts and the car is INCREDIBLY fun on back roads even tho it doesn't have VTEC or rev to the moon and back. Put a Hybrid Racing short shifter, nicely weighted shift knob, and a decent set of coilers and sway bars/ strut bars on the base and it'll give you plenty of smiles per gallon i promise you! Just my .02 :fistbump:

#7 ·
I appreciate the input everyone thank you!

I'm going to be checking out all 3 cars throughout the next 2 weeks. I'll give an update with pictures after my purchase.

I'm 29 years old and have $5k to spend. I'm in the southern California area of San Diego and am lucky because RSX's are abundant here and up in Los Angeles.

Surprisingly my quotes for insurance were almost the same for a base model and type S. Around $70-$80 a month for comprehensive. California has a good drivers discount on insurance if you haven't had any marks on your driving record for 3 years.

#10 ·
+1 for not the base. You'll always wish you had the extra you know you passed up.

If it were going to be strictly a daily, then yeah base all day but you sound like you do actually want to consider putting in a bit of work and money. Thats where owning the base will be a shot in the foot.

As far as the first or second revision type S, it doesnt matter that much. The engines are near enough the same that any argument about it would be pedantic given the context. Kpro is cheaper for the earlier revision as well if you ever get around to that.

Go for the type S, go for the cleaner one in the color you like more and in any case, good luck with whatever you decide.

#11 ·
I live in Oceanside in North county San Diego too!

Definitely will be putting money and work into it myself so I'm going to get a type S.

I'm checking out the 06 RSX up in LA this weekend. I want to make sure the cars in good condition so I've been calling mechanic shops in the area. I feel like I can't trust anyone doing inspections, anyone have advice?

#12 ·
Bring a friend that is mechanically inclined. If you don't have a friend like that, the next best thing would be a friend that purchases used cars frequently.

The only reason I see a shop being dishonest about an inspection is if the seller previously spoke to the mechanic and bribed him, or if it's a friend of theirs. I wouldn't worry about that.

#13 ·
I don't have a friend that's mechanically inclined, although I'm trying to learn myself, plus I'm taking the train up to LA.

Guess I will make an appointment at a Honda/Acura specialty shop I found near by and have to trust and not worry.

#14 ·
I bought an 06 type S with original A-Spec package from dealer. $4.9k. 169k miles. They wanted $7k I talked them down.

Had a mechanic do an inspection.
Problems:
1. Front lower ball joints need to be replaced
2. Sway bar links are worn
3. Rear trailer arm bushings are bad
4. Serpebtine belt is dried out
5. Power steering pump might be going out
6. Very filthy engine bay

Engine compression read 1=170psi, 2=170psi, 3=165psi, 4=170psi.

Bought and drove from Los Angeles to San Diego no problems.

Drives much different than my 2000 Civic DX. Having 6 gears and high RPM feels strange to be honest.

Think I can tackle the ball joint fix myself with no experience? I have the tools and jack stands, just need a car jack.

#18 ·
Grats!

1. Front lower ball joints need to be replaced Like mentioned above, you'll need the press to press them back in, or youll need to replace the whole arm. Replace the whole arm if you dont end up getting access to a press. Im sure you can rent one from whatever auto store but I swear I get the wrong tool almost every time. Getting them out is a huge pain in the ass but getting them back in without the tool is nearly impossible.
2. Sway bar links are worn Easy but can be a pain. You'll need only basic hand tools ot manage this one.
3. Rear trailer arm bushings are bad Same as #1
4. Serpebtine belt is dried out Easy peasy in the driveway
5. Power steering pump might be going out This wouldnt be the worst thing to do with basic hand tools but messy. Make sure its actually bad be going after that one.
6. Very filthy engine bay Clean er up, bud! A friend told me one time that he tries to clean at least one little thing every time the hood opens and thats how/why his bay is always as clean as it is. I mean you obviously need to do a fairly swift and broad overhaul but it'll certainly be worth it.

#20 ·
Thanks bro! I'm really happy with the purchase and find it crazy the car has the aspec package yet the seller didn't advertise it as such, I even have the original emblem in my glove box.

I am going to take SDLoc up on the offer no doubt. Hopefully he can lay down some knowledge on the ball joints.

#22 ·
Overall the car is amazing as it could be in worse shape, but it needs TLC in certain areas as I could see it was being neglected.

More to list that I've found myself and the mechanic found too:

No fog lights.

Windshield wiper fluid is disconnected from the back windshield.

Driver seat seam is torn (not all that bad though, the interior looks great!)

One side of the hooks that hold up the muffler is broken causing a slight rattle.

Pretty sure it will need a new hatch weather strip or tail light gasket's. (the previous owner told me about water in the bottom of the hatch and I have seen condensation on the tail lights)

#23 ·
First off congrats on the type s. awesome that it came with the a-spec package, minus the a-spec wheels though. But that seems to be a hard/expensive option to find now a days. As for the leak in the hatch, its probably your tail light gaskets are worn and causing the leak.

#25 ·
You know for having your “choose of the litter” your options are pretty bad. If that’s the choices just wait until a low mileage clean Type S appears.

#30 ·
Me too! The Type S was worth it, even with the higher miles. Still runs like a champ. Looks even better in person. I need to take pictures that give it justice.

I cleaned up the engine bay and put in a new serpentine belt, the old one was ripping. My first DIY!

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.