grinding noise on cold start? - Club RSX Message Board
Go Back   Club RSX Message Board > GENERAL RSX > Problems & Solutions RSX
Use the same user name on Club RSX, Club EP3, and Club ILX!

Old 06-13-2014, 03:44 PM   #1
blackdc5brandon

blackdc5brandon is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx blackdc5brandon is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx blackdc5brandon is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx blackdc5brandon is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx blackdc5brandon is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx blackdc5brandon is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx blackdc5brandon is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx blackdc5brandon is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
grinding noise on cold start?

Hey everyone I'm new on here my 06 type s is making a grinding noise ONLY on cold starts for about 2 seconds it is NOT the starter I put a brand new one in and it still grinds my mechanic did some research called like 6 acura dealerships and discovered it could possibly be the oil spool valve? He ordered the part and is going to put it in a few days. Has anyone had this issue with replacing there starter and it's still grinding? I would really appreciate some help from anyone. Thank you!
blackdc5brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2014, 04:25 PM   #2
Silver Knight
Acura Parts Dept.

Silver Knight might be well recognized one day on c-rsx Silver Knight might be well recognized one day on c-rsx Silver Knight might be well recognized one day on c-rsx Silver Knight might be well recognized one day on c-rsx Silver Knight might be well recognized one day on c-rsx Silver Knight might be well recognized one day on c-rsx Silver Knight might be well recognized one day on c-rsx Silver Knight might be well recognized one day on c-rsx
its a flaw in the starter design as its grinding on the flywheel (thanks honda). never heard of the vtec solenoid grinding considering oil passes through it.
Old 06-13-2014, 06:54 PM   #3
shoegazer
bleep-bleep bleeeep

shoegazer is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx shoegazer is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx shoegazer is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx shoegazer is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx shoegazer is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx shoegazer is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx shoegazer is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx shoegazer is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx shoegazer is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Do a search and you'll find more info. Mine does this too. On colder days; I find that holding the key a tad longer than usual after ignition stops it from happening. And by a tad; I mean like a quarter of a second. It's nothing you can measure. Just keep the key turned a little longer than usual. I don't have this problem in the warmer months.
shoegazer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-13-2014, 08:28 PM   #4
blackdc5brandon

blackdc5brandon is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx blackdc5brandon is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx blackdc5brandon is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx blackdc5brandon is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx blackdc5brandon is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx blackdc5brandon is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx blackdc5brandon is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx blackdc5brandon is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Ok I will try that I just want it fixed it's so loud it's almost embarrassing I have this beautiful car making very odd noises haha I deffinantely know it's not the starter because once I put the new one in it stopped grinding for like a week then one morning it grinded and hasn't stopped since. By the way I see your from raleigh I'm also in NC on the outer banks do you know a guy named Jacob gibbs?
Old 06-13-2014, 09:12 PM   #5
bvans
DC5-ED9

bvans is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx bvans is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx bvans is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx bvans is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx bvans is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx bvans is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx bvans is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx bvans is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx bvans is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
mine does it too. has for years, oh well haha

most rsx's do
After 9:30 Performance, K-Tuned, #dardantuned
bvans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 10:32 PM   #6
blackdc5brandon

Yea but it's not supposed to lol
Old 06-14-2014, 12:15 AM   #7
K2daO

K2daO is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx K2daO is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx K2daO is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx K2daO is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx K2daO is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx K2daO is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx K2daO is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx K2daO is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
I'm my experience, the grinding was attributed to timing chain slap, not starter scratching. So make sure what the source is. They have different fixes.
K2daO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 06:00 AM   #8
bluej511
Name's Vic

bluej511 is a hardcore rep whore
bluej511 is a hardcore rep whore bluej511 is a hardcore rep whore bluej511 is a hardcore rep whore bluej511 is a hardcore rep whore bluej511 is a hardcore rep whore bluej511 is a hardcore rep whore bluej511 is a hardcore rep whore bluej511 is a hardcore rep whore bluej511 is a hardcore rep whore bluej511 is a hardcore rep whore bluej511 is a hardcore rep whore bluej511 is a hardcore rep whore bluej511 is a hardcore rep whore bluej511 is a hardcore rep whore bluej511 is a hardcore rep whore bluej511 is a hardcore rep whore
I had my rsx 12yrs and 180k, yes im an og. Mine has never ever grinded when cold. And it gets ridiculously cold in MA.

My guess is maybe the flywheel is worn and grinding on the gears. Personally if it starts and works fine i wouldn't worry about it.
Armenian crsx crew member #6
02' RSX-S 179k mi, 14.5 @97. Sold after 12years.
13' Trek Madone 5.2. 2012 Swift Sport

bluej511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 07:08 AM   #9
blackdc5brandon

Yea i know I shouldn't worry about it because it does run great otherwise but it just drives me nuts. I mean it is very very loud it almost makes me nervous I'm going to mess something up whatever the case may be. It has 129k miles its a 2006
Old 06-14-2014, 07:11 AM   #10
bluej511
Name's Vic

bluej511 is a hardcore rep whore
bluej511 is a hardcore rep whore bluej511 is a hardcore rep whore bluej511 is a hardcore rep whore bluej511 is a hardcore rep whore bluej511 is a hardcore rep whore bluej511 is a hardcore rep whore bluej511 is a hardcore rep whore bluej511 is a hardcore rep whore bluej511 is a hardcore rep whore bluej511 is a hardcore rep whore bluej511 is a hardcore rep whore bluej511 is a hardcore rep whore bluej511 is a hardcore rep whore bluej511 is a hardcore rep whore bluej511 is a hardcore rep whore bluej511 is a hardcore rep whore
Did you replace it with an oem starter or something else? Probably doesnt make much difference but my guess is it could possibly be a lubrication issue maybe the bearing isnt lubed up enough who knows.

Sometimes its the flywheel grinding on the starter sometimes its the other way around.
Armenian crsx crew member #6
02' RSX-S 179k mi, 14.5 @97. Sold after 12years.
13' Trek Madone 5.2. 2012 Swift Sport

bluej511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 07:17 AM   #11
blackdc5brandon

Yes oem denso starter. Cost me 270 dollars I currently have 129k miles on mine. Do you think the vvt spool valve could be causing it like my mechanic said?
Old 06-14-2014, 10:09 AM   #12
K2daO

K2daO is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx K2daO is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx K2daO is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx K2daO is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx K2daO is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx K2daO is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx K2daO is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx K2daO is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
I went many tens of thousands of miles with the noise. It didn't affect anything and was just an annoyance. Mine turned out to be caused by a bad VTC actuator. A bad tensioner is also another culprit. I think u shud try to take a video in the engine bay to capture the exact type of noise. I do get the occasional starter grind from it sticking, but it's not a deep sounding grind, more like scratchy.
K2daO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 11:38 AM   #13
DRC19
DRC AUTOMOTIVE

DRC19 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx DRC19 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx DRC19 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx DRC19 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx DRC19 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx DRC19 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx DRC19 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx DRC19 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Mine does this too on occasion, but since its every once in a while I don't even give it a second thought
Old 06-14-2014, 12:07 PM   #14
blackdc5brandon

Yea I've taken a video of it before but the videos just don't really capture the sound well due to the sound of the motor
Old 06-14-2014, 05:17 PM   #15
shoegazer
bleep-bleep bleeeep

shoegazer is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx shoegazer is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx shoegazer is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx shoegazer is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx shoegazer is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx shoegazer is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx shoegazer is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx shoegazer is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx shoegazer is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Take a video from the cabin.
shoegazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 06:12 PM   #16
blackdc5brandon

Alright I'll take one inside