Starter Grind - Club RSX Message Board
Go Back   Club RSX Message Board > GENERAL RSX > Problems & Solutions RSX
Use the same user name on Club RSX, Club EP3, and Club ILX!

Old 04-03-2010, 07:42 PM   #1
FDCenteno

FDCenteno is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx FDCenteno is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx FDCenteno is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx FDCenteno is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx FDCenteno is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx FDCenteno is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx FDCenteno is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx FDCenteno is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Question Starter Grind

I have a 2003 base RSX and months ago began having a starting issue. It all started the first cold day of the year and sounded like my battery was goin bad. I would turn the ignition foward, let prime, start, then the engine would crank slowly acting as if the battery didnt have the juice to crank. I would wait five secs, sometimes less, sometimes more, and would fire right up like a new battery. ( battery is a oreileys super start not even 1yr old.) the problem continued to get worse til I would have to jack up the car in a parking lot and bang on the starter while my wife cranked and finally would start. I first went to auto zone bc they were the closest and ordered a starter. after replacing the starter now it fires up everytime strong but sometimes makes a grinding sound similar to holding the key too long. sometimes its so bad it sound loud and takes several tries. I took back the auto zone starter, got my full refund and put in a oreileys remanufactured starter. I am still having the same grind/ugly start as with the autozone starter. People say "its still the starter, sometimes you get a bunch of bad ones keep replacing it".. but this has never happened to me in other vehicles I've replaced tthe starter in. Even with auto zone and oreileys starters. My question is what could this be? At first it was a really weak start, now strong start, another new battery but grindind sound is there and sounds damaging!! This happens cold/warm/hot.... pretty frequently actually. sometimes its like I gotta be quick and precise when starting up my car. As if I just flick the ignition forward really quick to avoid this. Also....somepeople tell me, "maybe the flywheel is missin teeth in certain parts"... but it cant be. never EVER made this sound until I replaced the starter. even after replacing the the first replacement starter( the auto zone brand) I inspected the bendix, and what I could see on the fly wheel gears. Everything on both ends looks fine. My car is well maintained, not raced, or neglected and has about 111,000+ on the odom. It sucks if this is just bad luck on buying starters bc it not a quick fix.. takes me a couple hrs to replace a starter an my RSX and also I have had my starter, alternator, and battery tested often with this issue and everything tests good. Even at diff locations to make sure there doin the tests right.... I'm running outta options and cant afford the car to go to the shop or dealer. Any more help or advice would be greatly apreciated.... thanks
FDCenteno is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2010, 12:35 PM   #2
integradub

integradub is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx integradub is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx integradub is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx integradub is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx integradub is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx integradub is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx integradub is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx integradub is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Have been experiancing the same problem to the dot, have yet to figure it out myself, Make sure you have a good seal at the manifold and throttle body. Any info you could share if you fix this problem would be greatly appreciated and will do the same in return.
integradub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 12:43 PM   #3
dc5joey
☆☆☆

dc5joey is a hardcore rep whore dc5joey is a hardcore rep whore
dc5joey is a hardcore rep whore dc5joey is a hardcore rep whore dc5joey is a hardcore rep whore dc5joey is a hardcore rep whore dc5joey is a hardcore rep whore dc5joey is a hardcore rep whore dc5joey is a hardcore rep whore dc5joey is a hardcore rep whore dc5joey is a hardcore rep whore dc5joey is a hardcore rep whore dc5joey is a hardcore rep whore dc5joey is a hardcore rep whore dc5joey is a hardcore rep whore dc5joey is a hardcore rep whore dc5joey is a hardcore rep whore dc5joey is a hardcore rep whore dc5joey is a hardcore rep whore
common problem mine does that.

Old 04-08-2010, 12:43 PM   #4
SHOGUN DC5
Om Nom Nom

SHOGUN DC5 is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
mine makes that noise too and i read it was the starter. mine only happens in cold weather. it's been three winters now. summer is no problem. its something to do with the starter solenoid or something. i'm not very technical. there are other threads on this, try giving it a quick search on CRSX..
SHOGUN DC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 04:16 PM   #5
integradub

integradub is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx integradub is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx integradub is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx integradub is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx integradub is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx integradub is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx integradub is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx integradub is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Is more than just a grinding or ruff sounding start, it is actually diffacult to get the car started and somtimes will stuble to a start and it seens to hold the gas pedal down slightly as to hold the throttle body open slightly and the car will start easier, wich to me makes no sence.
Old 04-09-2010, 02:07 PM   #6
himynameismatt

himynameismatt is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx himynameismatt is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx himynameismatt is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx himynameismatt is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx himynameismatt is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx himynameismatt is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx himynameismatt is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx himynameismatt is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Next time you start your car cold, turn the key slowly and hold it right before the spot where it starts to turn over, you should be able to feel it...hold it there for approx. 5-10 seconds then start the car. Supposedly doing this builds oil pressure that is somehow related to this problem. My car only grinds on the first start of the day, and doing this has eliminated that.
'03 NBP RSX Type-S
himynameismatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 10:43 PM   #7
integradub

Yea I have about 25% chance of a start if I prime the ignition I have even experamented with mutiple primes before a start attempt but have found nothing consistant. I am about 90% convinced the only remidy for this problem is to fork out the greenbacks for a OEM Manufactured starter, may attempt to shimm before I break down and buy the overpriced OEM unit. will post results if I do attempt this.
Old 04-11-2010, 01:56 PM   #8
FDCenteno

FDCenteno is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx FDCenteno is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx FDCenteno is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx FDCenteno is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx FDCenteno is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx FDCenteno is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx FDCenteno is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx FDCenteno is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
thats what I don't want to do is buy a oem starter... there gona charge both arms and a leg..
Old 04-11-2010, 02:08 PM   #9
FDCenteno

I disconnected the clip-on connector to the starter thats kinda easy to access without taking anything apart, and crimped the metal connection piece thats coming from the car to the starter hoping to make a tighter more secure connection. I did this because I noticed when connecting this to the oreilys re-man starter it just sorta slides on not clicking in like the oem starter did. This helped and really reduced the bad start/grinding sound for about a week. In fact we start the car 4-8 times a day and would only experience this once every other day.. sometimes wouldnt happen for a few days. Now since yesterday its acting up bad again.. I'm thinkin about pricing a oem unit.. I'm outta opt's. By the way.. I live in TX.. wheather related to this prob is out the question.. I think its electrical. Oh... I might try talkin oreilys into gettin another starter and see if this third replacement does the trick.
Old 04-11-2010, 02:12 PM   #10
FDCenteno

You also said to make sure that I have a good connection seal into the intake.. I do, I have no engine running issues, no check ingine lights, back fires, or any type of vaccum leak. if any prob was with the connections to intake manifold I would be experiencing more than a starter grind. I would even have a check engine light and rough engine operation ya know.
Old 04-11-2010, 02:41 PM   #11
josolanes
Master Member

josolanes might be well recognized one day on c-rsx josolanes might be well recognized one day on c-rsx josolanes might be well recognized one day on c-rsx josolanes might be well recognized one day on c-rsx josolanes might be well recognized one day on c-rsx josolanes might be well recognized one day on c-rsx josolanes might be well recognized one day on c-rsx josolanes might be well recognized one day on c-rsx
ya sorry to say but your starters on the way out

mine did the same thing for about a month or so before it would only "click" but not turn over. tried a brand new battery, with no change
Old 04-11-2010, 02:45 PM   #12
FDCenteno

read what I posted dude.. I have my second replacement within one month.. still havin this prob.
Old 04-11-2010, 03:08 PM   #13
integradub

If you still have the original starter you can have it rebuilt, and have not heard of having the same problems as the remans. Also have heard but not tried the type s starter, and am under the impression the secondary silanoid may resolve this problem.
Old 04-11-2010, 03:55 PM   #14
integradub

Quote:
Originally Posted by himynameismatt View Post
Next time you start your car cold, turn the key slowly and hold it right before the spot where it starts to turn over, you should be able to feel it...hold it there for approx. 5-10 seconds then start the car. Supposedly doing this builds oil pressure that is somehow related to this problem. My car only grinds on the first start of the day, and doing this has eliminated that.
This will work some or most of the time, if you have not tried "different" priming methods, do so, it should make life easier once you figure one that works for you, try turning the key in "SLOW MOTION" pretend your in a movie and the car is going to blow and the camera is zooming in on you turning the ignition, I know dramatic, but the best way I could explain or relate what I was trying to say!
Old 04-11-2010, 03:55 PM   #15
josolanes
Master Member

josolanes might be well recognized one day on c-rsx josolanes might be well recognized one day on c-rsx josolanes might be well recognized one day on c-rsx josolanes might be well recognized one day on c-rsx josolanes might be well recognized one day on c-rsx josolanes might be well recognized one day on c-rsx josolanes might be well recognized one day on c-rsx josolanes might be well recognized one day on c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by FDCenteno View Post
read what I posted dude.. I have my second replacement within one month.. still havin this prob.
I thought I'd read that, but if you're sure the connection is good idk what else it could be. The starter is clicking/grinding so it's getting power. You've also had hte battery and alternator tested and they checked out. The only other thing I could think of is the teeth on the flywheel like you said before, but you don't think it's that either

I don't think it's possible for it to be the wrong starter can it? Say, the teeth on the starter motor simply don't mesh with the teeth on your flywheel?

I know when I initially put my new starter in, it did grind the first couple of starts but it went away by maybe the third start and I haven't had a grind since
Old 04-11-2010, 04:23 PM   #16
integradub

It is intermitten problem, ruled out flywheel, Have 3 ideas, bendix spring is too stiff on reman for cold weather, there is a problem with the reman silanoid that causes starter to be sluggish in operation, the starter motor is not putting out enough torque\speed in cold weather causing it to incorrectly mesh cleanly with flywheel.
Old 04-11-2010, 05:32 PM   #17
integradub

STARTER GRIND is more prevelent in starter reman model#17816!!!!!! Check your reciepts, if your starter matches this item #, TAKE IT BACK IT IS CRAP!!!!!! no garantee on the other brands BUT DO NOT BUY STORE BRAND REMAN!!!!!! IT IS GARBADGE!!!!!!! SHIMM WILL NOT SOLVE PROBLEM!!!!! ONLY A GARBADGE CAN will solve the problem!!! there are other options, HOLD YOUR GROUND, tell the store it is an ongoing problem, make them replace it,and keep trying other brands untill you find one that works properly, Autozone customers are out of luck, but if you got it anywhere else they should have multiple options and brands, try to stick with one that has a good warantee becouse at some point you may have problems, my suggestion would be a dealer installed OEM product when it comes to the starter!!!! I know this is not the best news, but it is my conclusion!!!!
Old 03-06-2014, 10:31 PM   #18
El_BoriCuaDC5

El_BoriCuaDC5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx El_BoriCuaDC5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx El_BoriCuaDC5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx El_BoriCuaDC5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx El_BoriCuaDC5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx El_BoriCuaDC5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx El_BoriCuaDC5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx El_BoriCuaDC5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
I have no trouble startin up but it makes that ugly noise at cold stArt, could i just buy another starter an b good?
El_BoriCuaDC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 10:34 PM   #19
El_BoriCuaDC5

El_BoriCuaDC5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx El_BoriCuaDC5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx El_BoriCuaDC5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx El_BoriCuaDC5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx El_BoriCuaDC5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx El_BoriCuaDC5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx El_BoriCuaDC5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx El_BoriCuaDC5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
I did the k24 swap aswell
El_BoriCuaDC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 04:21 PM   #20
BlinkingLight

BlinkingLight is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx BlinkingLight is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx BlinkingLight is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx BlinkingLight is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx BlinkingLight is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx BlinkingLight is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx BlinkingLight is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx BlinkingLight is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Yea, I have that annoying grind sound at cold start. However If I pump the gas a few times I can usually get it to start without that noise.

I bought a starter but I am worried about replacing it and having the same if not worse results. Because to my knowledge this involves removing the Intake Manifold, Trottle Body, and Fuel Injectors. Fuel Injectors are my biggest worry.
BlinkingLight is offline   Reply With Quote