RSX Whining Noise from Engine ? (W/ Youtube Video) - Club RSX Message Board
Go Back   Club RSX Message Board > GENERAL RSX > Problems & Solutions RSX
Use the same user name on Club RSX, Club EP3, and Club ILX!

Old 07-04-2010, 08:44 PM   #1
vlsh

vlsh is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx vlsh is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx vlsh is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx vlsh is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx vlsh is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx vlsh is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx vlsh is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx vlsh is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
RSX Whining Noise from Engine ? (W/ Youtube Video)

04 Base Auto. I don't know what's going on. It sounds like a supercharger, but obviously not so I need to get it fixed. The sound is best heard at 1600rpm, the higher it goes the more drowned out the sound becomes as I go faster. I can hear it in all gears. Sound is also there when I start up my car and in neutral.

Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndMBFEAQmc4

Anyone know what the sound is??

Also, A/C is off, and everything seems normal and drives normal. No CEL. what is it??
vlsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2010, 08:49 PM   #2
blueberrydc5
Master Member

blueberrydc5 is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
ps?
Old 07-04-2010, 08:54 PM   #3
Type-Spaz
Hybrid-Racing.com

Type-Spaz has disabled reputation
wow can you hear it at idle or anything?

Old 07-04-2010, 09:13 PM   #4
vlsh

vlsh is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx vlsh is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx vlsh is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx vlsh is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx vlsh is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx vlsh is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx vlsh is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx vlsh is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Yes I can hear it as soon as I start the car.

Here is another video I just uploaded of the car parked, getting started up, and revving it a liittle. Sound is still very noticeable.

Video #2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZuZOlc0fKk

Any ideas?

blueberrydc5: p/s = power steering? not sure, but would a power steering pump still sound like that even though I'm parked and not turning the wheel??
Old 07-04-2010, 09:29 PM   #5
itsBryan
Nomnominin'

itsBryan has a clean start itsBryan has a clean start itsBryan has a clean start itsBryan has a clean start
ts has a supercharger
piece of shit rsx fucking gay ass raping penis tucking car full of fwd failfucking fuck shit rsx sucks my dick...fwd
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatchbookSS View Post
FWD is for faggots.
E46 ///M3
itsBryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 09:33 PM   #6
20secA3

20secA3 is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
ya bought it w/ a supercharga. just check the powersteering fluid.
20secA3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 09:41 PM   #7
20secA3

20secA3 is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
checked up ur issue more in depth. our rsx doesn't really have issues w/ PS. put down $30 for an idler pulley.
20secA3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 11:43 PM   #8
vlsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20secA3 View Post
ya bought it w/ a supercharga. just check the powersteering fluid.
The p/s fluid just looked dirty the last time i checked. It wasn't low or anything. I'll have another look tomorrow.

I'm gonna take it to a mechanic tomorrow as well to see what he can tell me first before I pay anything (hopefully, hah ).

Last edited by vlsh; 07-07-2010 at 12:42 PM..
Old 07-07-2010, 12:48 PM   #9
vlsh

So I think the problem has been fixed:

I took it to the mechanic yesterday and he told me the sound was from the A/C compressor's bearing (FYI my A/C cools and works perfectly even before the whining sound). He was able to get to the bearing instead of replacing the whole compressor, and now it sounds much quieter and much better.

I can still hear a VERY SLIGHT whine, but only when i rev up. I think that's normal??

At least I can hear the sound of my engine now instead of that whine.
He gave me a 3 month, 3k mile warranty.
Old 07-09-2010, 12:04 PM   #10
ABPk20a2
Banned

ABPk20a2 is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtaB3...eature=related
ABPk20a2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 06:25 PM   #11
nuttbar51
Nuttbar51

nuttbar51 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx nuttbar51 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx nuttbar51 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx nuttbar51 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx nuttbar51 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx nuttbar51 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx nuttbar51 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx nuttbar51 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
It could be your power steering pump's bearing. I am having the same problem too! It really doesn't show up till a bit higher than what you were reving at in the Youtube vid. I am hoping if I replace that, it will quiet down. let me know.
nuttbar51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 12:40 PM   #12
nuttbar51
Nuttbar51

nuttbar51 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx nuttbar51 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx nuttbar51 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx nuttbar51 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx nuttbar51 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx nuttbar51 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx nuttbar51 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx nuttbar51 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlsh View Post
So I think the problem has been fixed:

I took it to the mechanic yesterday and he told me the sound was from the A/C compressor's bearing (FYI my A/C cools and works perfectly even before the whining sound). He was able to get to the bearing instead of replacing the whole compressor, and now it sounds much quieter and much better.

I can still hear a VERY SLIGHT whine, but only when i rev up. I think that's normal??

At least I can hear the sound of my engine now instead of that whine.
He gave me a 3 month, 3k mile warranty.
Did the problem ever come back? What was the down time for the bearing replacement? Mine is still making the same noise!
nuttbar51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 02:20 PM   #13
raymakers
Master Lurker

raymakers is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABPk20a2 View Post
This just made me laugh so hard!!!! Blew his motor AND smoked a pot hole. LOL!! Epic FAIL! The owner took it pretty well though...
raymakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 04:12 PM   #14
dub6pimp
pimpin on budget

dub6pimp is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by raymakers View Post
The owner took it pretty well though...
lol hes like "you just blew my tranny up"