D.I.Y Battery In hatch - Club RSX Message Board
Go Back   Club RSX Message Board > GENERAL RSX > The DIY Garage RSX
Use the same user name on Club RSX, Club EP3, and Club ILX!

Old 09-20-2010, 01:46 PM   #1
Type-Spaz
Hybrid-Racing.com

Type-Spaz has disabled reputation
D.I.Y Battery In hatch

*PLEASE CHECK OUT THE UPGRADED DIY WITH ADDITION GROUNDING**
http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=1144338

Ok this one is kinda long because of all the pictures. But here I go with yet again another DIY. So today, with the help of Gigs, Nick, and Silvia I relocated my new Odyssey Battery to the rear hatch of my Type-S.

So first, you don't have to get everything I did but I would recommend something similar. So for this install you'll need:
Batter

Battery Box

4 Gauge Bulk wire (minimum size I recommend)

Connectors

Fuse Box

Splitter Box

and Misc. Tools
Ok So lets begin!

First we started by picking a spot in the hatch where we would locate the new battery. We decided the driver side for my trunk will do

So then we took out the panels inside the hatch so that we can start mocking up wire locations and where we'll bolt down the bracket.

Next we found the exact spot and made marking in the carpet where our holes will be

Then take out the drill and begin drilling your holes

Here is the bracket mounted and bolted down

Next we decided where the cables will run down threw the carpet and into the car. We marked our spots and drilled those too.

From there we next decided where to put my fuse box. Next to the battery of course. You never want to be more than a 12" away

That was that for the front. Then we moved to the engine bay

Last edited by Type-Spaz; 08-27-2015 at 04:59 PM..
Type-Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2010, 01:47 PM   #2
Type-Spaz
Hybrid-Racing.com

So first start by taking out the stock batter and it's battery tray

Here is a better shot of my distribution block. Also the fuses installed

Then we had to find a spot for the wire to come through. We used a stock wiring harness and you can kinda see it through the mess

We poked a hole in the rubber from the inside and started feeding the battery cable through it. From the outside to inside

Here is a shot from the inside

The cable comes in from under the carpet so you will have to lift that up if you use this spot. We then modified the foot rest so the cable would fit comfortably and easy

Here a shot with it installed

Next we started routing the cable. So I took off the side trim and lifted the carpet to place the line down the side of the car

Here it is back together, you can see the line coming out the back

Next route the line under the rear seats and bring it back out the back. We choose the little hole by the struts

We then routed the line down the body line
Old 09-20-2010, 01:47 PM   #3
Type-Spaz
Hybrid-Racing.com

Next it's time to do some wiring. I used the stock ground for the taillights for my battery ground

It it's good enough for them, it's good enough for me. Then I place the cable through the carpet and put the carpet back in the car. Don't install the carpet yet, just set it in there.

Check all of the lengths and make cuts to the cable to fit how you would like it. We hooked up the power to the fuse box

Then did the ground and the other side of the power and attached the battery terminal clamps

Thats it for the batter, now back to the engine bay for the rest of the wiring...

So the distribution box I used uses for holding screws. We were only able to fit two into the spot we used but we also used extreme industrial velcro to hold it down to the frame.

Then we cut the positive cable apart and inserted them into the box

Also hooked up the original transmission ground up to the original grounding spot and grounded out my distribution box. Now you should pretty much be done. Go ahead and connect the battery up and check it out.

I used a digital distribution box because I wanted to check the voltage and amps being pushing and pulled.

Now you have a battery relocation!
On another note, you should place the battery on the passenger side to help offset your body weight but I didn't nor am I worried about the 11lb battery.

Last edited by Type-Spaz; 01-05-2011 at 02:14 PM..
Type-Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-20-2010, 01:59 PM   #4
Drewpreme
( ‾ʖ̫‾)

Drewpreme is not even half way to the top Drewpreme is not even half way to the top
Drewpreme is not even half way to the top Drewpreme is not even half way to the top Drewpreme is not even half way to the top Drewpreme is not even half way to the top Drewpreme is not even half way to the top Drewpreme is not even half way to the top Drewpreme is not even half way to the top Drewpreme is not even half way to the top Drewpreme is not even half way to the top Drewpreme is not even half way to the top Drewpreme is not even half way to the top Drewpreme is not even half way to the top Drewpreme is not even half way to the top Drewpreme is not even half way to the top Drewpreme is not even half way to the top Drewpreme is not even half way to the top
this guy! at it again!
Drewpreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 02:08 PM   #5
a1r86
♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦

a1r86 is cool, not as cool as some though a1r86 is cool, not as cool as some though a1r86 is cool, not as cool as some though a1r86 is cool, not as cool as some though a1r86 is cool, not as cool as some though a1r86 is cool, not as cool as some though a1r86 is cool, not as cool as some though a1r86 is cool, not as cool as some though a1r86 is cool, not as cool as some though a1r86 is cool, not as cool as some though a1r86 is cool, not as cool as some though a1r86 is cool, not as cool as some though a1r86 is cool, not as cool as some though
good shit

GO LAKERS!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
a1r86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 04:26 PM   #6
penguin0123

penguin0123 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx penguin0123 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx penguin0123 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx penguin0123 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx penguin0123 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx penguin0123 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx penguin0123 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx penguin0123 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
So what happened to the original ground (the wire that attaches to the negative terminal of the original battery)?

What is the purpose of the distrubution box? Can one eliminate it?

I tried to construct a wiring diagram and here is what I came up with, is this right?

Original Power Wire Original Ground Wire (?)
||
\/
Distrubution Box => Transmission Ground
||
\/
Fuse Box Tailgate Ground
|| /\
\/ ||
Battery Positive Terminal => Battery Negative Terminal
penguin0123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 04:45 PM   #7
Type-Spaz
Hybrid-Racing.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin0123 View Post
So what happened to the original ground (the wire that attaches to the negative terminal of the original battery)?

What is the purpose of the distrubution box? Can one eliminate it?

I tried to construct a wiring diagram and here is what I came up with, is this right?

Original Power Wire Original Ground Wire (?)
||
\/
Distrubution Box => Transmission Ground
||
\/
Fuse Box Tailgate Ground
|| /\
\/ ||
Battery Positive Terminal => Battery Negative Terminal

The original ground is gone. The original ground just goes from battery to frame. So the new ground is the same just in the rear. I used a splitter so I could run one wire from the back to the front and split the wire one to the fuse box and one to the alternator up front. If you run separate wires from the battery sure you won't need the splitter but thats more cable and more work.

My transmission ground is now going from the frame under the radiator where there is another ground location to the tranny.
Old 09-20-2010, 06:46 PM   #8
penguin0123

penguin0123 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx penguin0123 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx penguin0123 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx penguin0123 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx penguin0123 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx penguin0123 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx penguin0123 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx penguin0123 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
So would the following scheme work?

Old 09-20-2010, 06:58 PM   #9
Type-Spaz
Hybrid-Racing.com

Old 09-20-2010, 07:09 PM   #10
recliner15

recliner15 is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
hope you dont plan on going to the track
recliner15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 07:39 PM   #11
rlippy001
@AllMotorRy

rlippy001 is cool, not as cool as some though rlippy001 is cool, not as cool as some though rlippy001 is cool, not as cool as some though rlippy001 is cool, not as cool as some though rlippy001 is cool, not as cool as some though rlippy001 is cool, not as cool as some though rlippy001 is cool, not as cool as some though rlippy001 is cool, not as cool as some though rlippy001 is cool, not as cool as some though rlippy001 is cool, not as cool as some though rlippy001 is cool, not as cool as some though rlippy001 is cool, not as cool as some though rlippy001 is cool, not as cool as some though
Quote:
Originally Posted by Type-'S'paz View Post
Nice skillz on the drawing. lol good diy
rlippy001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 07:47 PM   #12
clean3two3
Master Member

clean3two3 is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by recliner15 View Post
why do you say this?
and nice write up
clean3two3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 07:50 PM   #13
Type-Spaz
Hybrid-Racing.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by recliner15 View Post
yeah why? I go to the track all the time with no issues
Old 09-20-2010, 07:58 PM   #14
Creepy Chris
Too much drama

Creepy Chris needs to visit eHarmony.com or at least the hook up section on CraigsList Creepy Chris needs to visit eHarmony.com or at least the hook up section on CraigsList Creepy Chris needs to visit eHarmony.com or at least the hook up section on CraigsList Creepy Chris needs to visit eHarmony.com or at least the hook up section on CraigsList Creepy Chris needs to visit eHarmony.com or at least the hook up section on CraigsList Creepy Chris needs to visit eHarmony.com or at least the hook up section on CraigsList
Creepy Chris needs to visit eHarmony.com or at least the hook up section on CraigsList Creepy Chris needs to visit eHarmony.com or at least the hook up section on CraigsList Creepy Chris needs to visit eHarmony.com or at least the hook up section on CraigsList Creepy Chris needs to visit eHarmony.com or at least the hook up section on CraigsList Creepy Chris needs to visit eHarmony.com or at least the hook up section on CraigsList Creepy Chris needs to visit eHarmony.com or at least the hook up section on CraigsList Creepy Chris needs to visit eHarmony.com or at least the hook up section on CraigsList Creepy Chris needs to visit eHarmony.com or at least the hook up section on CraigsList Creepy Chris needs to visit eHarmony.com or at least the hook up section on CraigsList Creepy Chris needs to visit eHarmony.com or at least the hook up section on CraigsList Creepy Chris needs to visit eHarmony.com or at least the hook up section on CraigsList Creepy Chris needs to visit eHarmony.com or at least the hook up section on CraigsList Creepy Chris needs to visit eHarmony.com or at least the hook up section on CraigsList Creepy Chris needs to visit eHarmony.com or at least the hook up section on CraigsList Creepy Chris needs to visit eHarmony.com or at least the hook up section on CraigsList Creepy Chris needs to visit eHarmony.com or at least the hook up section on CraigsList Creepy Chris needs to visit eHarmony.com or at least the hook up section on CraigsList Creepy Chris needs to visit eHarmony.com or at least the hook up section on CraigsList
Quote:
yeah why? I go to the track all the time with no issues
Check your track rules on relocated batteries.

I know my local track has specific rules, like needing a kill switch, etc.
Creepy Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 08:01 PM   #15
Type-Spaz
Hybrid-Racing.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creepy Chris View Post
Check your track rules on relocated batteries.

I know my local track has specific rules, like needing a kill switch, etc.
so do ours but until you hit 12's are local tracks don't care. Hell I have friends running 11's and the track hasn't cared yet lol
Old 09-20-2010, 08:04 PM   #16
Creepy Chris
Too much drama

Creepy Chris needs to visit eHarmony.com or at least the hook up section on CraigsList Creepy Chris needs to visit eHarmony.com or at least the hook up section on CraigsList Creepy Chris needs to visit eHarmony.com or at least the hook up section on CraigsList Creepy Chris needs to visit eHarmony.com or at least the hook up section on CraigsList Creepy Chris needs to visit eHarmony.com or at least the hook up section on CraigsList Creepy Chris needs to visit eHarmony.com or at least the hook up section on CraigsList
Creepy Chris needs to visit eHarmony.com or at least the hook up section on CraigsList Creepy Chris needs to visit eHarmony.com or at least the hook up section on CraigsList Creepy Chris needs to visit eHarmony.com or at least the hook up section on CraigsList Creepy Chris needs to visit eHarmony.com or at least the hook up section on CraigsList Creepy Chris needs to visit eHarmony.com or at least the hook up section on CraigsList Creepy Chris needs to visit eHarmony.com or at least the hook up section on CraigsList Creepy Chris needs to visit eHarmony.com or at least the hook up section on CraigsList Creepy Chris needs to visit eHarmony.com or at least the hook up section on CraigsList Creepy Chris needs to visit eHarmony.com or at least the hook up section on CraigsList Creepy Chris needs to visit eHarmony.com or at least the hook up section on CraigsList Creepy Chris needs to visit eHarmony.com or at least the hook up section on CraigsList Creepy Chris needs to visit eHarmony.com or at least the hook up section on CraigsList Creepy Chris needs to visit eHarmony.com or at least the hook up section on CraigsList Creepy Chris needs to visit eHarmony.com or at least the hook up section on CraigsList Creepy Chris needs to visit eHarmony.com or at least the hook up section on CraigsList Creepy Chris needs to visit eHarmony.com or at least the hook up section on CraigsList Creepy Chris needs to visit eHarmony.com or at least the hook up section on CraigsList Creepy Chris needs to visit eHarmony.com or at least the hook up section on CraigsList
Quote:
so do ours but until you hit 12's are local tracks don't care. Hell I have friends running 11's and the track hasn't cared yet lol
Ok, so in your case you have a lenient track. Others though, may not be as lucky. Just a disclaimer for others who may try this and plan on going to the track.
Creepy Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 08:14 PM   #17
itskien
Doesn't Give A F*ck

itskien is a name not to mess with itskien is a name not to mess with itskien is a name not to mess with itskien is a name not to mess with itskien is a name not to mess with itskien is a name not to mess with itskien is a name not to mess with itskien is a name not to mess with itskien is a name not to mess with itskien is a name not to mess with itskien is a name not to mess with itskien is a name not to mess with itskien is a name not to mess with itskien is a name not to mess with itskien is a name not to mess with itskien is a name not to mess with itskien is a name not to mess with itskien is a name not to mess with
damn son. you're on a roll.
itskien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 09:09 PM   #18
korney
Midwest K Productions

korney is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx korney is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx korney is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx korney is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx korney is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx korney is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx korney is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx korney is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx korney is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
yesss!!! I been needing to do this for awhile now!!! thanks Spaz!!!!!
korney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 10:01 AM   #19
sinisterdc5
Master Member

sinisterdc5 is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
yup most tracks wont let you pass tech if you have the battery in the trunk with out a kill switch
INSTAGRAM:kseriesonly
sinisterdc5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 06:02 PM   #20
dmike03
Master Member

dmike03 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dmike03 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dmike03 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dmike03 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dmike03 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dmike03 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dmike03 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dmike03 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx

i would like to do this but i fail when it comes to stuff like this
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadVillain View Post
Yeehaw suck my Dick bitch
dmike03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 06:22 PM   #21
penguin0123

Where did you get the wire? I went to home depot, and they have 1/0 with the really stiff sheath, and the flexible ones are 12-4.
Old 09-21-2010, 07:39 PM   #22
civictype_r

civictype_r is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
I have been looking for one ofd these for months!!!!!! Im going to use a battery box though for my optima battery!

Buddyclub / Greddy / Megan Racing / Carbing / Rev Hard / Skunk2 / Nitto / ESMM / Mugen / Tanabe / Hondata / JDM Honda / Gran Sport / HFP
civictype_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 09:11 PM   #23
Type-Spaz
Hybrid-Racing.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin0123 View Post
Where did you get the wire? I went to home depot, and they have 1/0 with the really stiff sheath, and the flexible ones are 12-4.
I bought the cable, end fittings and digital splitter box from a local stereo shop.
The circuit breaker I bought at autozone
The battery and tray were passwordJDM.com
Old 09-25-2010, 12:26 AM   #24
k24penguin_pwd
b@nned

k24penguin_pwd is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Quote:
I bought the cable, end fittings and digital splitter box from a local stereo shop.
The circuit breaker I bought at autozone
The battery and tray were passwordJDM.com
you have the brand of the splitter?
k24penguin_pwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 12:54 AM   #25
3rdGearGRNDRR
Section 8

3rdGearGRNDRR is an unknown quantity on c-rsx

you have exposed (+) terminals on your circuit breaker in the rear,
if something metal goes rolling into that