DIY Black Headliner: Wrap vs Paint? - Club RSX Message Board
Go Back   Club RSX Message Board > GENERAL RSX > The DIY Garage RSX
Use the same user name on Club RSX, Club EP3, and Club ILX!

Old 04-27-2011, 10:36 AM   #1
user_unlisted
Buy my RSX!

user_unlisted is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx user_unlisted is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx user_unlisted is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx user_unlisted is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx user_unlisted is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx user_unlisted is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx user_unlisted is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx user_unlisted is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
DIY Black Headliner: Wrap vs Paint?

I want to make my headliner/visors and pillars black. What's the pros and cons of wrapping the liner in suede vs spraying the liner with a fabric paint? Which is easier? Which looks better in the long run? I haven't seen any cars locally that have done this, so its hard for me to make a decision without seeing each option in person. That's why im turning to CRSX for opinions. Help me out?

And yes, I've searched. I've seen pics of both. What im looking for is opinions by members who have seen/done both options, and can give me thoughts about each.

Thanks!

'03 DPBM Yamaha R6
user_unlisted is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2011, 11:09 AM   #2
HmoobMike
Drippin' Swaguu

HmoobMike is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx HmoobMike is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx HmoobMike is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx HmoobMike is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx HmoobMike is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx HmoobMike is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx HmoobMike is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx HmoobMike is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
iPhone Posted from an iPhone

I sprayed my headliner, visors, pillars and trim with black dye. It was a super smooth and easy. Look OEM too.

Buying the fabric and applying it seems a little expensive and tedious. Just look at the D.I.Y. suede wrap for reference.

I love the way it looks with the dye and I recommend it. I've done 4 other cars like that and the results are just as great.
HmoobMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 11:27 AM   #3
808ster
Master Member

808ster is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
^What kind of dye did you use?
808ster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-27-2011, 11:28 AM   #4
chico bastardo

chico bastardo is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx chico bastardo is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx chico bastardo is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx chico bastardo is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx chico bastardo is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx chico bastardo is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx chico bastardo is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx chico bastardo is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
In for answer
chico bastardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 12:12 PM   #5
itskien
Doesn't Give A F*ck

itskien is a name not to mess with itskien is a name not to mess with itskien is a name not to mess with itskien is a name not to mess with itskien is a name not to mess with itskien is a name not to mess with itskien is a name not to mess with itskien is a name not to mess with itskien is a name not to mess with itskien is a name not to mess with itskien is a name not to mess with itskien is a name not to mess with itskien is a name not to mess with itskien is a name not to mess with itskien is a name not to mess with itskien is a name not to mess with itskien is a name not to mess with itskien is a name not to mess with
spray. fabric could get expensive.
itskien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 12:49 PM   #6
andersmb
Master Member

andersmb is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx andersmb is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx andersmb is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx andersmb is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx andersmb is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx andersmb is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx andersmb is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx andersmb is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
i also used dye and love it..i used dupli-color fabric/vinyl 'paint' in gloss black and like was said it looks oem...

a word of advice if you choose to go this route make sure you paint a good number of coats on the headliner cause after it soaks in completely it dulls a little so for me i had to add a few extra coats
andersmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 01:16 PM   #7
808ster
Master Member

^How long since you painted it? Is it holding up good?
Old 04-27-2011, 01:19 PM   #8
azngotmilk
Lakers gonna lake

azngotmilk is cool, not as cool as some though azngotmilk is cool, not as cool as some though azngotmilk is cool, not as cool as some though azngotmilk is cool, not as cool as some though azngotmilk is cool, not as cool as some though azngotmilk is cool, not as cool as some though azngotmilk is cool, not as cool as some though azngotmilk is cool, not as cool as some though azngotmilk is cool, not as cool as some though azngotmilk is cool, not as cool as some though azngotmilk is cool, not as cool as some though azngotmilk is cool, not as cool as some though azngotmilk is cool, not as cool as some though
for the people that dyed the headliner, how much does it cost roughly?
azngotmilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 03:17 PM   #9
method:K20Z1
cyprus

method:K20Z1 is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
I have used suede, headliner material and the "spary dye"/paint and can give you some actual insight. I'll use bullet points to make this as easy as possible

SUEDE
Pros:
*looks best out of all when first applyed

Cons:
*no stretch in fabric, this means as it heats and cools and expands it's going to sag, harden and become like an old, unkempt vagina. this "old vagina effect" leaves room for moisture to build between the headliner and fabric and kills the glue quickly

*difficult to work with (imagine getting a drop of spray glue on suede...)

*worst option of all 3, especially if you're new to this kind of thing

*makes moonroof cover difficult to use

*does not adhere well to sun visors or any plastic object

*most expensive

*difficult to maintain

DYE
Pros:
*easy to use

*looks ok if you spray it evenly (and if you don't touch it)

*cheapest

Cons:
*rubs off and will streak/fade as you touch it(especially for the trim the surrounds that moon roof) - this means you can't clean it

*does not adhere to plastic as well as paint does (will rub off on areas that vibrate or are touched a lot (think corners of A pilars and moon roof handle)

*people try to spray this in the car with out removing the headliner, this is a classic move from the ricer days of spray painted dashboards

*cheapest

HEADLINER MATERIAL
Pros:
*spongy backing makes adhesion easy

*designed exactly for this type of thing...

*STRETCHES(no old vagina effect)

*affordable

*look great and is able to be cleaned

Cons:
*more expensive than dye

*makes moon roof visor harder to use

in closing:
*don't try this if you want it to be quick and cheap, it will look like shit

*the most important factor and the most glaring omission in this thread is that the MOST IMPORTANT part of this project is the spray adhesive (3M super strength - nothing else) and how you use it - FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS - I sewed the moon roof opening all the way around on the most recent headliner I did and worked my way on out from there, smoothing in small sections and making the fabric contact all the contours

*you will need sand paper(low grit to scuff, high grit to wet sand the final product)/adhesion promoter/primer/spray paint/clear coat to get the A pilars, light fixtures and moon roof handle to look perfect. Remember, some of these parts see a lot of sun or under go a lot of contact.

*you need the spray dye for the moon roof trim

*understand that there is great potential of breaking the little clips that hold your plastic interior panels to the body of your car. If you don't remove them the right way, you will INCREASE THE NOISE FROM VIBRATION IN YOUR CABIN - you may want to buy some back ups before starting

*this is not a quick, cheap and easy DIY

PS: This is a service I offer at my shop. PM for pricing and appointments

Last edited by method:K20Z1; 04-27-2011 at 03:20 PM..
method:K20Z1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 03:29 PM   #10
user_unlisted
Buy my RSX!

user_unlisted is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx user_unlisted is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx user_unlisted is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx user_unlisted is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx user_unlisted is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx user_unlisted is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx user_unlisted is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx user_unlisted is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Thanks guys! This is a lot of help. One of you said you used the dye on the pillars, why? Shouldn't you have used krylon fusion spray instead since the pillars are plastic? I would think wetsand, plastic primer, satin black krylon fusion, and plastic satin clear would be the route id want to go on the pillars.

'03 DPBM Yamaha R6
user_unlisted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 04:33 PM   #11
andersmb
Master Member

andersmb is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx andersmb is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx andersmb is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx andersmb is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx andersmb is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx andersmb is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx andersmb is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx andersmb is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
the dupli-color dye was around $6-7/can and total i used about 5-6, this is w/ doing visors, a pillars, moonroof cover and trim and the headliner itself

i did mine about a 18 months ago and it still looks good, like methodk20 said there is some fading around the moonroof trim but other than that it looks great imo, he also mentioned it and hes right make sure you actually remove the headliner from the car

suprisingly it bonds pretty well to the a-pillars, i think because its already a slightly textured surface, however i tried using it on the weatherstripping around the doors and shit was flaking ridiculously it was like my car had bad dandruf

this was one of my first semi-major DIY projects and it wasnt too difficult
Old 04-27-2011, 04:40 PM   #12
ebatr24
Master Member

ebatr24 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx ebatr24 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx ebatr24 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx ebatr24 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx ebatr24 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx ebatr24 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx ebatr24 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx ebatr24 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx ebatr24 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by method:K20Z1 View Post
I have used suede, headliner material and the "spary dye"/paint and can give you some actual insight. I'll use bullet points to make this as easy as possible

SUEDE
Pros:

Cons:
*no stretch in fabric, this means as it heats and cools and expands it's going to sag, harden and become like an old, unkempt vagina. this "old vagina effect" leaves room for moisture to build between the headliner and fabric and kills the glue quickly

*most expensive

*difficult to maintain

DYE
Pros:
*easy to use

*cheapest

Cons:
*rubs off and will streak/fade as you touch it(especially for the trim the surrounds that moon roof) - this means you can't clean it

*does not adhere to plastic as well as paint does (will rub off on areas that vibrate or are touched a lot (think corners of A pilars and moon roof handle)

*people try to spray this in the car with out removing the headliner, this is a classic move from the ricer days of spray painted dashboards

*cheapest

HEADLINER MATERIAL
Pros:

*affordable

Cons:
*more expensive than dye

in closing:

*the most important factor and the most glaring omission in this thread is that the MOST IMPORTANT part of this project is the spray adhesive (3M super strength - nothing else) and how you use it - FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS - I sewed the moon roof opening all the way around on the most recent headliner I did and worked my way on out from there, smoothing in small sections and making the fabric contact all the contours

*you will need sand paper(low grit to scuff, high grit to wet sand the final product)/adhesion promoter/primer/spray paint/clear coat to get the A pilars, light fixtures and moon roof handle to look perfect. Remember, some of these parts see a lot of sun or under go a lot of contact.

*understand that there is great potential of breaking the little clips that hold your plastic interior panels to the body of your car. If you don't remove them the right way, you will INCREASE THE NOISE FROM VIBRATION IN YOUR CABIN - you may want to buy some back ups before starting

If only you were close i would definetly have you do my headliner, i really want to do my headliner my only concern is breaking clips and it not going back on so smoothly any tips for that?
ebatr24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 04:40 PM   #13
vash_the_stampede
popcorn playa

vash_the_stampede Golden Rep Whore vash_the_stampede Golden Rep Whore
vash_the_stampede Golden Rep Whore vash_the_stampede Golden Rep Whore vash_the_stampede Golden Rep Whore vash_the_stampede Golden Rep Whore vash_the_stampede Golden Rep Whore vash_the_stampede Golden Rep Whore vash_the_stampede Golden Rep Whore vash_the_stampede Golden Rep Whore vash_the_stampede Golden Rep Whore vash_the_stampede Golden Rep Whore vash_the_stampede Golden Rep Whore vash_the_stampede Golden Rep Whore
nice
/anime crew#4/lefty crew #1/ Late Night Crew#10/All Motor Crew #21/vAsh vAse cR3w! #1 TcK~!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEvoIX View Post
I want cream cheese on my baked potato
vash_the_stampede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 04:54 PM   #14
DC5Crazy
Master Member

DC5Crazy is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by method:K20Z1 View Post

SUEDE
Pros:

Cons:

*most expensive

*difficult to maintain

DYE
Pros:
*easy to use

*cheapest

Cons:

*cheapest

HEADLINER MATERIAL
Pros:

*affordable

Cons:
*more expensive than dye

in closing:

LOL perfect example

• A-Spec Lip Kit • OEM Type R Wing • Seibon Mugen CF Hood Replica • Injen Cold Air Intake • Greddy Ti-C Exhaust • Buddy Club Short Shifter • 35 - 25% Tint • Drag DR-9s • Hankook K110 Ventus V12• DIY Red Painted Shift Knob Numbers •Tien S.Tech Lowering Springs •Koni Yellow Shocks• DIY Blacked Out Headlights •2 Tone Rear A-Spec Bumper•
DC5Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 10:10 PM   #15
HmoobMike
Drippin' Swaguu

HmoobMike is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx HmoobMike is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx HmoobMike is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx HmoobMike is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx HmoobMike is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx HmoobMike is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx HmoobMike is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx HmoobMike is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Sorry for the late response.

I only used 4 bottles of the Duplicolor Vinyl and Fabric Dye. Everything still looks fresh and OEM after a year.

Mine doesn't rub away or fade away like the post by Method said. I guess it depends on how OCD you are with it. Mine still looks fine and I touch it all the time. Haha.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:11 PM   #16
HmoobMike
Drippin' Swaguu

I took all the pieces out of the car in case you were wondering and did it right. You're going to need an extra hand for some of it. I used my little 5 year old cousin to help me. Haha.
Old 04-28-2011, 01:57 AM   #17
808ster
Master Member

So u had a tan interior? Did u spray the dash also? I cant tell with those pics.
Old 04-28-2011, 04:13 AM   #18
andersmb
Master Member

not necessarily..in a black interior the headliner, visors and a-pillars are grey
Old 08-24-2011, 01:02 PM   #19
Jedi
Textbook Narcissist

Jedi is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Jedi is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Jedi is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Jedi is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Jedi is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Jedi is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Jedi is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Jedi is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Jedi is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Sorry for bumping an old thread. So vinyl dye won this battle? I've bought suede fabric then read if its not headliner material it will sag. My car is in the sun 8 hours a day in huntington beach and I'm sure that would take a toll on the adhesive no matter what it is.

I'm about to buy dupli color vinyl dye and spray everything with it but I keep searching the forum and.everyone is saying something different. really what is the best looking and reliable. Ill put 11 coats of this shit if I need to to make it look OEM.
All Motor Crew #29
Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 02:06 PM   #20
azngotmilk
Lakers gonna lake

azngotmilk is cool, not as cool as some though azngotmilk is cool, not as cool as some though azngotmilk is cool, not as cool as some though azngotmilk is cool, not as cool as some though azngotmilk is cool, not as cool as some though azngotmilk is cool, not as cool as some though azngotmilk is cool, not as cool as some though azngotmilk is cool, not as cool as some though azngotmilk is cool, not as cool as some though azngotmilk is cool, not as cool as some though azngotmilk is cool, not as cool as some though azngotmilk is cool, not as cool as some though azngotmilk is cool, not as cool as some though
my suede hasnt sagged or anything yet and its been over a year. i park my car outside everyday so if theres suns out it hits the car

i honestly dont think i did a great job anyways but it isnt sagging
Old 08-24-2011, 02:11 PM   #21
Jedi
Textbook Narcissist

Jedi is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Jedi is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Jedi is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Jedi is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Jedi is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Jedi is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Jedi is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Jedi is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Jedi is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
I'm actually going to return the suede I bought yesterday afterwork and I also canceled my order on loctite headliner adhesive it was beginning to turn into an expensive mod. What adhesive did you use? Do you have any pics? The suede I bought also wasn't stretchy it was a bit heavy with a smooth reverse.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk
All Motor Crew #29
Old 08-24-2011, 02:23 PM   #22
azngotmilk
Lakers gonna lake

my suede cost about 20 bucks and the adhesive i used was the 3m adhesive 90

http://www.gradysonline.com/product.php?productid=37186

i think i used 2 cans or 3 i dont remember

total cost was like 50 or 60 bucks for everything

thats probably a picture from awhile ago but it looks the same but i also finished the sunroof thing
Old 08-24-2011, 02:30 PM   #23
Jedi
Textbook Narcissist

Sigh. Suede cost me 48$ bucks. I got 5 yards. Is it possible if you could help me? Noticed you live on anaheim I live in Stanton. Planning on doing it this Friday.

All Motor Crew #29
Old 08-24-2011, 02:34 PM   #24
Jedi
Textbook Narcissist

Ill buy you lunch lol.

All Motor Crew #29
Old 08-24-2011, 03:48 PM   #25
andersmb
Master Member

yes dupli-color vinyl/fabric spray is the way to go..i used gloss black about 3-5 cans total(never hurts to have extra)