Bad vibration and hum - Club RSX Message Board
Go Back   Club RSX Message Board > GENERAL RSX > Problems & Solutions RSX
Use the same user name on Club RSX, Club EP3, and Club ILX!

Old 07-24-2013, 10:35 AM   #1
bgrant

bgrant is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx bgrant is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx bgrant is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx bgrant is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx bgrant is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx bgrant is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx bgrant is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx bgrant is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Bad vibration and hum

Well I let a friend do an oil change on my car, and I now have a vibration and bad hum when I first start the car in the morning. I think he put the jack under the oil pan to raise the car. The vibration and hum goes away once I've been driving for about 10 mins. My first guess was he busted a motor mount but the motor doesn't move when i rev it or when i push in the clutch and the car coming up to temp shouldn't help a busted mount. So now I'm thinking an bad gasket somewhere in the exhaust? Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
bgrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2013, 11:47 AM   #2
Type_James_S

Type_James_S is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Type_James_S is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Type_James_S is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Type_James_S is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Type_James_S is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Type_James_S is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Type_James_S is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx Type_James_S is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
i feel like you couldnt jack up a car from the oil pan
Type_James_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 01:03 PM   #3
bgrant

bgrant is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx bgrant is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx bgrant is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx bgrant is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx bgrant is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx bgrant is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx bgrant is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx bgrant is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Well there's a ring where the jack was, not a dent but you can tell it was there, not sure if he got the car all the way up in the air with it. Not sure I'd really want to know the answer to that anyway.

Old 07-24-2013, 01:17 PM   #4
9/11 RSX-s
Master Member

9/11 RSX-s has a clean start 9/11 RSX-s has a clean start 9/11 RSX-s has a clean start
Did he use the correct viscosity oil? If not, drain it and redo it. Too thick of oil might do that before it warmed up. 5w30 is the correct weight for a Type-s; 5w20 for a Base.

So there was a ring on the pan... Take a close look at the pan. A Type-s has a cast aluminum pan, so that would probably crack rather than dent, but a Base pan is stamped steel and might have squished against the oil pickup inside the pan.

As to the motor mount theory... I don't think so. When the engine is at cold idle, the rpm is higher, which smooths out engine vibrations. Any mount related vibration should be worse at warm idle than cold idle. Though if a mount is really tweaked, maybe the engine is now sitting too high or low or to the side and is now touching something... though I don't see how that would improve after 10 minutes and then come back the next time you drove... so I don't think so.

PS Your friend is a dope. Do not let him work on your car again.

PPS Is the oil level correct? Not too full?
ASPEC | Neuspeed | CenterLine Racing RPM | BFG KDW-2
IN> Injen CAI > Hybrid Racing 70mm > RRC > RDX 410cc > IPS K2 > DCRH & Cat > 2.5" Stainless >OUT

Last edited by 9/11 RSX-s; 07-24-2013 at 01:42 PM..
9/11 RSX-s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 01:29 PM   #5
pdexta

pdexta is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx pdexta is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx pdexta is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx pdexta is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx pdexta is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx pdexta is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx pdexta is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx pdexta is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
I would think the oil pan would crack well before a motor mount would break. Also a broken motor mount typically wouldn't cause any issue at idle or go away when the car got warm. I'd ask him what oil he used. Did this start immediately after the oil change? Oil that's too thick could possibly cause issues that subside after it warms and thins out.

* Edit ^ beat me to it
pdexta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 05:44 PM   #6
bgrant

I bought the oil, same oil I've always used, it's the base model and the pan isn't cracked. Obviously he's a dope. He's also gonna owe me a few bucks when I figure out what's wrong. So the only option that makes sense then is some type of exhaust leak somewhere? Any idea on what would give first down there?
Old 07-24-2013, 06:31 PM   #7
JustDoingMe
These hoes ain't loyal

JustDoingMe is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx JustDoingMe is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx JustDoingMe is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx JustDoingMe is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx JustDoingMe is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx JustDoingMe is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx JustDoingMe is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx JustDoingMe is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx JustDoingMe is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
The problem is you let an undependable friend change the oil in you rsx. Lesson learned.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
JustDoingMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:59 PM   #8
9/11 RSX-s
Master Member

9/11 RSX-s has a clean start 9/11 RSX-s has a clean start 9/11 RSX-s has a clean start
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrant View Post
I bought the oil, same oil I've always used, it's the base model and the pan isn't cracked. Obviously he's a dope. He's also gonna owe me a few bucks when I figure out what's wrong. So the only option that makes sense then is some type of exhaust leak somewhere? Any idea on what would give first down there?
Base pan wouldn't crack; it would dent, as it is stamped steel. Could have pushed it up against the pickup and/or bent the pick up. Perhaps this causes more of a problem when the oil is cold
But sounds like you don't see a dent, so...

I don't see how an exhaust leak could make the symptoms you describe. The motor mounts only allow so much give, so its not like things could have moved enough to break the exhaust, which is protected by a spring-loaded joint that is designed to slip anyway.

Maybe whatever is going on just happened on its own, and the timing of it just makes it seem like it has something to do with the oil change?
ASPEC | Neuspeed | CenterLine Racing RPM | BFG KDW-2
IN> Injen CAI > Hybrid Racing 70mm > RRC > RDX 410cc > IPS K2 > DCRH & Cat > 2.5" Stainless >OUT
9/11 RSX-s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 08:45 AM   #9
jet62095
I like Corvettes too

jet62095 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx jet62095 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx jet62095 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx jet62095 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx jet62095 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx jet62095 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx jet62095 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx jet62095 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Type_James_S View Post
i feel like you couldnt jack up a car from the oil pan
It can be done. 2008 Ford Escape with an aluminum oil pan just like our cars, 13 year old jet, one floor jack, six quarts of oil and a filter. Looking back I am so glad I didn't cause any harm but every time I jack it up to change the oil now I see the marks from the jack on the oil pan and thank my lucky stars. (Did I really just say that?) The Esc**t weights roughly 4k and the RSX is a bit less. The mounts in the RSX are pretty rugged and wouldn't break lifting the car. DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT EVER be so cruel to your car as to jack it by the oil pan. My guess is your bad vibration came from some extra worn motor mounts. Check them (transmission side is very easy to check) for play and see how they are worn. On the trans mount, remove the center bolt and jack the transmission up ever so slightly and stick the bolt through the bushing and see if you can move it around. If you can move it around too much, time for motor mounts. Or at least a transmission mount. The transmission mount is just the easiest to check and should be an indicator of the wear life left in the other mounts unless they've been replaced prior.
Current daily driver: 2014 VW Passat TDi 5k
jet62095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 04:00 PM   #10
bgrant

Thanks! Ill check that as soon as I get home on Sunday, the car has 154,xxx miles on it so it's probably time for those anyway. Maybe the hydrolic fluid in one of the mounts gets warmed up and stiffens the mount, causing the vibration to go away? Long shot I know but it's my only guess right now.