Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

Tein Street Flex Unboxing and Review

15K views 52 replies 10 participants last post by  408slvr_dc5 
#1 ·
Hey guys. So I purchased the Street Flex's a couple of months ago and I am super pleased with them, so I figured I'd share the wealth a bit and go over the unboxing of the coilovers and my opinions on them.

Here's what they looked like when I opened the box:

They were packaged in a huge Tein box that said "Made in Japan" across the side..which I love.

I took them out and laid them side by side to take note of some of the detail.

Here's one of the front coilovers. The top hat has a pillowball upper mount which is included in the deal. As most of you probably know this allows you to adjust camber from the top plate.

For a closer look at the pillowball upper mount, check out the picture below. The allen bolt coming out of the threads that secure the strut to the top hat is for dampening adjustment.

The allen bolts (four) coming out of the top hat allow you to adjust camber when the shock is on the car. You loosen them and move the shock back and forth within the slot.

Now that we've seen the front let's take a look at the rear...

The top hat on the rear is NOT camber adjustable. You must buy the camber arms if you wish to adjust camber in the rear. If you lower your car you will need to adjust your camber.

Here's a picture of the spring and the dust cover and the bump stop.

Just a little picture of the label on the strut's body:

Bushings..

Opinions:

After installing them per Tein's instructions:

I drove the car straight to the alignment shop. The look is like night and day in terms of being lowered :thumbsup:

I followed Tein's instructions, so if you follow their instructions, you'll end up with the look that I have below.

Before:

After:

In my opinion this is the perfect setup. I like that my coilovers are comfortable when I'm cruising around but stiff and responsive when I'm going over bumps. The height and damping adjustment being separate really help in that area.

If I had to choose a different setup in the future, however, I might go stiffer in the rear.

Also I had to roll my rear fenders. I was cutting into my tires like mad when I first installed them. After they settle, you'll probably need to roll the fronts too if you're running a wide tire. I'm running a 9" wide wheel with +42 offset in the front...255 in width :)

Hope you guys enjoyed this!

See less See more
#3 ·
I took the advice of someone from the forum and went for -.7 in the rear and -.9 in the front because the people who did my alignment did not know that you can move the pillowball hpper mount camber bolts to allow for more negative camber.

Im getting the alignment redone at -1.5 rear and -1.7 in front or maybe something slightly less aggressive.

Front:255/35?/17
Rear:235/40?/17

I am running a reverse stagger setup.

#20 ·
Update:

Checked em out autocrossing at Madison Int'l Speedway in Wisconsin last weekend. These things are great! Very little body roll and I was rolling through the slaloms like a beast! It was my first time and the car was very forgiving. I feel like it had a lot to do with these coilovers.

#37 ·
Update:

Drove to Wisconsin from PA with these and have been daily driving these at temperatures of -25 degF without windchill.

I drive these on the bumpy midwest roads to and from work every day.

These have served me well. They are stiff because they are for performance but not bouncy and have held up for more than 1500 miles.

I approve so far.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.