Anyone had a good pull RSX vs. Ford Focus ST lately?? - Club RSX Message Board
Go Back   Club RSX Message Board > PERFORMANCE BASICS RSX > 1/4 Drag Racing RSX
Use the same user name on Club RSX, Club EP3, and Club ILX!

Old 02-20-2018, 06:19 PM   #1
hylander

hylander is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx hylander is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx hylander is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx hylander is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx hylander is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx hylander is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx hylander is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx hylander is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx hylander is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Anyone had a good pull RSX vs. Ford Focus ST lately??

I ran into one out in the desert in so cal last weekend going through palm springs area. I didn't realize those things have a small turbo on them. Anyways, had 3 really good pulls from the stop lights with one of them. The Focus ST got me from the start, I think they have about 80 lbs more torque if not more. But, once the VTEC enganged at 4200 and again at 5800, I kept WOT to just 7k each gear, and by end of 2nd gear going into 3rd gear I finally pulled past him. It wasn't easy for sure. The guy definitely knew how to drive. I definitely underestimated that car not realizing they come stock with turbo. It was really fun and we both gave the friendly and obligatory thumbs up when all was said and done. He didn't want to go for a 4th pull though. It sounded like his turbo was overheated, hehe.
hylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2018, 07:27 PM   #2
all<dc5
NA Today

all<dc5 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx all<dc5 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx all<dc5 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx all<dc5 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx all<dc5 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx all<dc5 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx all<dc5 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx all<dc5 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx
Wait what do you mean VTEC engaged at 4200 and again at 5800? It's either one or the other. And if you have a type S why are you shifting so early at 7k?
'03 Tacoma Prerunner V6
all<dc5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 09:09 PM   #3
hylander

hylander is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx hylander is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx hylander is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx hylander is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx hylander is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx hylander is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx hylander is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx hylander is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx hylander is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Oops! Typo, thanks for catching that. Should read as 8k, not 7k. I don't push it too much because I want my motor to last.

The 4200 vtec hi load was flashed and set by ha Motorsports when they shipped the ktuner. They also flashed it for 5800 low load. I realize it doesn't make sense, but when I hit it hard, I hear vtec at 4200 and again at 5800. I am not savvy the the vtec rpm window with regards to when it stops.

Old 02-20-2018, 09:20 PM   #4
dopeyrsx

dopeyrsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dopeyrsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dopeyrsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dopeyrsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dopeyrsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dopeyrsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dopeyrsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dopeyrsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dopeyrsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
You have their reflash 1 which makes VTEC at 4200 at high load. You might be confused at 5800 is because there's another change with the engine tone. Nice kill without trying while shifting at 8K. Redline with the reflash is at 8600 so it drops you in a higher power band when you shift.
dopeyrsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 11:13 PM   #5
all<dc5
NA Today

all<dc5 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx all<dc5 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx all<dc5 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx all<dc5 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx all<dc5 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx all<dc5 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx all<dc5 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx all<dc5 might be well recognized one day on c-rsx
Yeah VTEC only engages once, at 4200 OR 5800 RPM. After 5800 RPM is when the motor really starts making power though so that's probably what you're hearing.

If the motor's in good shape and maintained well spin it to 8000-8600 RPM all you want. Eventually you'll start breaking other stuff before you do any damage to the motor, but that's all part of the fun. Could give you an excuse to upgrade your clutch a little sooner
'03 Tacoma Prerunner V6
Old 02-21-2018, 01:25 PM   #6
hylander

Kewl, thanks for the info. It sounded like I had a 2 stage vtec, lol. But yeah, that engine sound at 5800 is really sweet in addition to the growl that kicks in at 4200. I just put in a new 1.5 CC last Oct/Nov, so I should be good for a while.

What is the vtec window? 4200 rpms to ?? , just curious.

Thanks
Old 02-21-2018, 04:34 PM   #7
all<dc5
NA Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by hylander View Post
Kewl, thanks for the info. It sounded like I had a 2 stage vtec, lol. But yeah, that engine sound at 5800 is really sweet in addition to the growl that kicks in at 4200. I just put in a new 1.5 CC last Oct/Nov, so I should be good for a while.

Thanks
Once engaged VTEC stays active until the RPMs drop below the engagement point. You can set a "window" for different loads, as explained above. Generally people make it low (around 4000-4500 RPM) for high load and high (around 5000-5500 RPM) for low load. What this does is gets you into VTEC early when you're really on the gas, but keeps you out of VTEC longer if you're not giving it that much gas.
'03 Tacoma Prerunner V6
Old 06-19-2018, 01:50 PM   #8
angelj177

angelj177 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx angelj177 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx angelj177 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx angelj177 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx angelj177 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx angelj177 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx angelj177 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx angelj177 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
theyre pretty straight on low end. im still looking for one since im finally tuned.
angelj177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 02:49 PM   #9
IronGumby
05 Type S RH Reflash LSD

IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx IronGumby is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by hylander View Post

Thanks
The Ktuner Reflash 1 VTEC window is 4200-5800rpm. So at 5800rpm you probably just felt the sweet spot of the K20 engine, where it surges and flows best (whether this is the head or the IM or intake or what, idk). Unless... you're not actually flooring it (or your throttle cable needs adjusted) and it's not hitting VTEC until 5800 all the time? You should feel/hear a lil robust grunt begin at 4200 though and know it's working

I didn't expect an RSX to pull on a FoST, so that's cool
Old 07-06-2018, 02:19 AM   #10
dopeyrsx

dopeyrsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dopeyrsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dopeyrsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dopeyrsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dopeyrsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dopeyrsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dopeyrsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dopeyrsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx dopeyrsx is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Their stock 0-60 is about 7secs and quarter in 15.1. So in stock to stock form, it's comparable with the RSX-S but the 06 RSX-S has a slight edge (6.1 and 14.8).
dopeyrsx is offline   Reply With Quote