Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

The Official Club RSX "Should I buy this car?/ What is this RSX worth?" Thread...

245K views 150 replies 91 participants last post by  Kevink121 
#1 ·
Should I pick up? Rebuilt Title

05 RSX Automatic with leather interior, seats in great shape, sunroof, ETC!

It was hit from the quarter panel, and has been fixed, drives very well so far from the test drive.

Just seeing if she's worth 3,500$

oh and it has 94,000 miles on it

#42 ·
04 rsx type s

The car I'm looking at is for sale at a dealership. It's a 2004 type s with 27800 miles. The dealer said the guy basically spent all his money with credit cards upgrading it and sold it to them for what he could. From what I see its got endless big brake kit, volk te37's, greddy turbo kit, tein suspension, mugen body kit, seibon carbon fiber hood and kpro.I test drove it and it was awesome. The only thing I heard was a rattling from the clutch when I pressed it which leads me to believe its a bearing or a twin disc but idk. Clean carfax and autocheck. The guy literally registered the car every year and put 2-3k miles on it. It even says he got the oil changes at an Acura dealership. They want 22000 for it but I have been negotiating and have got them down to 19500
[/IMG]

#44 · (Edited)
Hi guys, I'm still young and my parents give gave me a very small budget to spend on a used car, about $5.5k. This will be my first car that is "mine" but with a budget like that, I'm not expecting perfect condition.

My choice was either a Celica GTS or a RSX Type S.

I really like white and this is the only one I can find.

http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/cto/3922725988.html

"I have 2002 rsx type s 6 speed pearl white. Just replaced clutch, master clutch cylinder and a few other things needs some body work but car runs smooth. Had to replace the speedometer so it shows 200000 car has original 161000 also has a short shifter 773 592-1208"

I'm not sure if I should trust the speedometer thing. What reasons do people have to change out speedometers? Also does the front seem pricey to fix?

I can probably talk it down to getting it for 4k. What do you guys think?

#45 ·
Looking into getting an RSX Base model... Opinions?

I'm looking at a base RSX, K20A3... The specific car I'm looking at is $4900.. The car looks to be in decent shape inside and out, and the engine has 175,000 miles on it. Its a 5 speed. I'm largely concerned with it having 175,000 miles, as I plan on eventually running 7 pounds of boost on the car. While that may not be much, I'd still be concerned due to the high mileage. Opinions?

#48 ·
I'm looking at a base RSX, K20A3... The specific car I'm looking at is $4900.. The car looks to be in decent shape inside and out, and the engine has 175,000 miles on it. Its a 5 speed. I'm largely concerned with it having 175,000 miles, as I plan on eventually running 7 pounds of boost on the car. While that may not be much, I'd still be concerned due to the high mileage. Opinions?
How much water is in the trunk?

#46 ·
why 7 pounds boost?

if your gonna boost find the lowest mileage/ healthliest motor you can or get super cheap and drop in k24 and boost that. personally i think boosting a base is not moving in the right direction... save up some cash and get into a type s. drive it for a while and then decide what your really want

#50 ·
I actually buy used cars for a living. I just checked auction prices for the base and they typically go for $4k with mileage being in the 160k range. (2004 & 2005).
If it is going to be a daily driver then I wouldn't buy one with over 120k. If I were you I would do whatever possible to get a type S even if you have to finance. Just do a quick you tube search of a type S with a intake and you'll be addicted. Once cars hit the 150k miles things start to fall apart. I did come across a 03 Si with 300k miles a few weeks ago...but it was worn out.

#52 ·
I have Base. I say get Type S if your performance oriented, which seems to be the case. I'm not performance oriented, i just like the car for it's looks a reliability. Hatcback also very convenient, you could move to another town in an rsx lol. Also, i do a lot of driving in traffic so the type s woulda have been too much of a headache for me. my friend has a Civic Si and he gets pretty annoyed when get gets into some of the traffic jams we have in
NYC.

#53 ·
Is this fishy? 4k$ for a type S?

i was looking at getting my first car and my dad decided to buy me an rsx type s, after looking for litterally 1-2 hours we found this,

http://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/cto/3925125267.html

the owner is selling it for 4800$ but my dad talking him into 4200$, ive seen soo many rsx's on craigslist in the past hour and ive noticed they all go for 6.5K$+ so im kinda wondering why is this guy selling it soo cheap? me and my dad took it for a test drive and it rides fine, runs strong and everything works a/c etc. also the car has all original vin # parts.

.....Is there something fishy:eek:, orrrrr is this just a good buy?? :dontknow:

Btw the car is 100% stock

#65 ·
i was looking at getting my first car and my dad decided to buy me an rsx type s, after looking for litterally 1-2 hours we found this,

http://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/cto/3925125267.html

the owner is selling it for 4800$ but my dad talking him into 4200$, ive seen soo many rsx's on craigslist in the past hour and ive noticed they all go for 6.5K$+ so im kinda wondering why is this guy selling it soo cheap? me and my dad took it for a test drive and it rides fine, runs strong and everything works a/c etc. also the car has all original vin # parts.

.....Is there something fishy:eek:, orrrrr is this just a good buy?? :dontknow:

Btw the car is 100% stock
that would make a nice 1st car.:thumbsup:

#54 ·
Yeah I decided not to go with that RSX, I'll look for one with lower miles. Also, I'd be greatful if you guys could help clear this up...
Everyone here is saying that if I plan on boosting it, I should go with the Type S. However, while doing my research I found that boosting the Type S can be a bit riskier, due to the fact that it has higher cylinder compression. What are your guys's thoughts and opinions on that?

#55 ·
I wouldn't take that, ive seen several 02-04 160k range rsx's for that 5.5k with clean bodies.

Its not just the front bumper. The hood and fender are not aligned either.

Also for my question that was answered, I wanna say thanks. I decided to wait, my goal is an 05/06 100k range for 6.5 does this seem like a reasonable goal with some patience?

#57 ·
with only 7 lbs you will be fine. but there is absolutely nothing wrong with a base IMHO, especially if your gonna go k24 in the future, other than engine and tranny, the two most changed parts anyway, the two cars are not hugely different.

and 175k on an rsx/ep3 is not too bad, the k series is incredibly reliable, and my car has 260k on it and nothing is "falling apart" my car is fine, just as good as when I bought it at 135k.

#58 ·
i own a base and my friend owns a type s. for casual regular 80mph freeway and city driving i prefer my base. his type s is fun to do downshifts and doing things that involves wasting gas, which is things i dont do .

VTEC kicking in doesnt sound as special as it would be in a type s vs the old honda ,integ gsr's etc

in the end i liked and preferred my ugly 2002 silver 4x4 stock base 140kmile vs his 2006 type S pearl white 70k miles

type-s 's seem to be beat and sold more often than bases .

some people like 5spd over 6spd for boosted cars cause in a 5 speed you shift less so you can stay in boost longer.

#62 ·
thats hard to say, the point made about the type s being bought, sold, and thrashed more than the base is entirely true. so that is something to consider.

they are both great cars, and they have the exact same capabilities and ability to mod them. one just comes better equipped in stock form.

but all the same parts go on both cars, or can. and they can be all upgraded the same.

#63 ·
rebuilt title takes at least %25 of the value off a car.

but the insurance company will total a vehicle for virtually nothing these days, It could have been stolen and recovered and that would get it a restored/salvage title.

you could break all the windows and that would also be a restored title.

its easier for insurance companies to write things off than try to have them repaired to like new condition. unless you have a lamborghini or ferarri or something.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.