Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

controlling your nitrous through k-pro

9K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  GiZiM 
#1 ·
well i finally have some free time to do a write up on my experience of setting up my n2o system to be controlled by k-pro. i could not find any real threads that talk about it so i figured i would make one for people who want to do in the future. b/c i had to do quite a bit of looking around to figure everything out. and i have wanted to do it for quite a while but without information i was kinda slowed down. so here it goes..............

first things first. if you plan on doing this and you have neither k-pro or nitrous i would suggest getting k-pro first. the main reason is that the wiring for nitrous and k-pro, and nitrous w/o k-pro is different. and the fact that you will not have to install as much. if you do k-pro first then you will not have to install a WOT switch, RPM window switch, or fuel pressure saftey switch, if you chose to. there are other reasons also but they are just prsonal prefrences.

the basic setup is very simple. you would just have one n2o solenoid, one relay, and on switch.

the n2o solenoid will have 2 wires comming off of it. it does not matter which one goes where, but one will go to a ground and one to a relay.

the relay will have 4 wires comming out of it. they will be color coded and the book will tell you which wires are for what. you will have one that goes to the ECU. one that goes to the solenoid, and one that goes to a 12V source. the 4 was ment for a FP switch or a gound, but in this case it has to tap into the 12V wire. i just striped a small section of wire that ran to the 12V source and soldered (dp :dontknow: ) the ground wire to it.

the switch is simple as well. i have the NX switch pannel that controls my bottle heater, purge, activation, etc..........but for understand purposes we will use the auto zone APC switch for our switch. it will have a 12V source, a ground and a wire that runs to the ECU.

so you have a wire from the relay to the ECU, and a wire from the switch to the ECU.

now for the fun part. INSTALLING THE 2 WIRES TO THE ECU. if the ECU is installed then you will have 3 wiring harness "blocks", thats what were gonna call them. there is one to the far left (closest to the driver) and 2 to the far right (toward the pass. door) you will only be dealing with the one closest to the driver (the one to the far left). there will be 3 rows of wires that look like this:

............ ........
.....................__
....... ... ........

that is an extreme rough idea.

there are 2 way to make this work.

1) get the ECU pins from hondata, pull the old ones and put the new ones in with the new wires crimped in them. i tried that, didn't work, gave up, and did it this way.......

2) cut the 2 wires that are already in the ECU and solder them to the new wires that will control the nitrous (the one from the relay and the one from the switch). for a temporary fix i crimped them together with wire connecters. but did it the right way about a week later.

WHICH WIRES IN THE ECU TO PULL/CUT. my car is in the shop and im to lazy to look up which wires i did, but as soon as i get it back i will give you 100% sure answer af which ones they are. i am sure that both wires that you will be dealing with are in the middle row of the wire harness block. the one that has the "__" beside it in my BS diagram. you will cut into the wire on the far left and (don't quote me on this) the wire that is 6 spots from the left. if you cut the wire make sure you leave enough to solder, crime, or whatever to your 2 wires coming from the relay and the switch. the rest of the wire that is from the wiring harness, i just left it hanging.

and im pretty sure thats about it. this is a very rough explaination and i will fine tune it when i have some more time.

if you have any questions don't be afraid to ask. and if you think i forgot anything let me know.

:thumbsup: :driving:

See less See more
#6 ·
When you are running the kit dry and using the Kpro to ad gas, do you need larger injectors? I would like to have the option of going all the way up to a 100 shot.

Does the Kpro have the ability to limit N20 in different gears? If you went say a 35 or 50 shot in first at 6000 rpm, then in second gear it jumps to 75 then 100 when you hit third?

How do you turn on the N20 and have the Kpro switch to your N20 program? I would like to have an awsome N/A tune with K20A cams and a Header, then have a sweet N20 program built for when the N20 kicks in - can you make that switch just by hitting a switch?

-eric

#7 ·
Ericcarver1 said:
When you are running the kit dry and using the Kpro to ad gas, do you need larger injectors? I would like to have the option of going all the way up to a 100 shot.

Does the Kpro have the ability to limit N20 in different gears? If you went say a 35 or 50 shot in first at 6000 rpm, then in second gear it jumps to 75 then 100 when you hit third?

How do you turn on the N20 and have the Kpro switch to your N20 program? I would like to have an awsome N/A tune with K20A cams and a Header, then have a sweet N20 program built for when the N20 kicks in - can you make that switch just by hitting a switch?

-eric
I think it would be pushing the stock injectors @ 100 shot, but it might be able to handle it.

I don't believe KPro has the ability to make the nitrous kit into a progressive one. You can easily buy one for very cheap though ($100-500 depending on how much tuning you need).

The main thing that you need when nitrous is engaged is to retard timing and to bring up the fuel. The nitrous program basically does just that.

#8 ·
Alpha Zero said:
I think it would be pushing the stock injectors @ 100 shot, but it might be able to handle it.

I don't believe KPro has the ability to make the nitrous kit into a progressive one. You can easily buy one for very cheap though ($100-500 depending on how much tuning you need).

The main thing that you need when nitrous is engaged is to retard timing and to bring up the fuel. The nitrous program basically does just that.
STOCK injectors will only handle about a 40-50 shot.

for a 100 shot you will need at least 440's, which is what i run a 75 on.

for controling when it begins and ends you can kinda "work the system" to engage at different times at different gears.

there are a few variables that have to be met for it to arm. speed and rpm is one of them. i have mine engage at 40kph and at 4000rpm-8000 rpm. now on a stock type-s tranny in first gear your at 5k rpm when you hit 40kph. so even though your past 4000 rpm you still wont engage till you hit 40kph.

see where im going with this? if not i will explan some more.

anything else?

#9 ·
yes i have a question lol i need imediate response please cause im trying to get my car ready... the book that u mention in the install is that the k pro book or nitrous book... also what relay are u talking about in the same paragraph. thanks man please try to hook me up with some pics that would be extra helpfull.

#10 ·
On the 75 shot how is your traction in first gear (our setups are close enough)? How is it when you shift to second?

What would you guess the cost for the kpro, N20 kit, injectors would be? I have the Hondata 4 flash right now...

-eric

#11 · (Edited)
Ericcarver1 said:
On the 75 shot how is your traction in first gear (our setups are close enough)? How is it when you shift to second?

What would you guess the cost for the kpro, N20 kit, injectors would be? I have the Hondata 4 flash right now...

-eric
with my tires (225/45/17 falkin azenis) its fine as long as your on descent road.

k-pro= $1000.......but you already have the flash so its cheaper. i think like $600 or something.
basic n2o kit= $500-600
440's= $200-$400 depending on where you can find them.

#12 ·
blazinrsx329 said:
yes i have a question lol i need imediate response please cause im trying to get my car ready... the book that u mention in the install is that the k pro book or nitrous book... also what relay are u talking about in the same paragraph. thanks man please try to hook me up with some pics that would be extra helpfull.
um...book? highlight the area and post it so know what your talking about. do that for the relay thing to.

and about pics, i dont have a digital camera so i really cant post any, but its easy to talk you through it as long as your looking at what your talking about.

#13 ·
depends on the exact kit and options u want also but 500 to upgrade for k pro i know that much other things u can get a idea of under the parts store of club rsx new should be + or - a few bucks in other locations and used will obviously be minus a couple of bucks. install if u do it urself free but usually can range from 250-600 all depends on if u know the person how well u know the person and ur area. and u can set k pro so it doesnt start spraying until ur in second gear which is what i plan on doing for traction issues.

#14 ·
blazinrsx329 said:
depends on the exact kit and options u want also but 500 to upgrade for k pro i know that much other things u can get a idea of under the parts store of club rsx new should be + or - a few bucks in other locations and used will obviously be minus a couple of bucks. install if u do it urself free but usually can range from 250-600 all depends on if u know the person how well u know the person and ur area. and u can set k pro so it doesnt start spraying until ur in second gear which is what i plan on doing for traction issues.
installation is the easiest thing in the world. i would not pay anyone to do it for me. plus you will know how everything is routed.

that sucks you have to wait till 2nd to spray. thats a huge loss in e.t i bet. i would invest in some good tires.

#15 ·
well i dont have my setup complete yet i have to install it still but i was waiting till i installed the manifold... do u think it will hurt me that much not spraying in first... i mean considering its hard to get traction. i have much better tires so i think i should have a problem but i guess ill see when i hit up the track.

#16 ·
dunno exactly how much slower you would be. guess about 2 tenths of a second or so. but thats just a wild guess.

in my case im running a 75 and in first im spraying from about 5k-8k rpm. so thats 3000 rpm of 75 extra HP. theres gonna be a difference.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.