Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

Engine Oil Cooler...is it worthy to have one?

13K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Type-Spaz 
#1 ·
I've been searching but couldn't find one...anyway, do we have a built-in Engine oil cooler. I know our engine has two cooling system... (1) The top of the engine: the area around each cylinder in the engine block, the combustion chamber areas in the cylinder heads and the intake manifold, dispel heat through the engine's radiator coolant system. (2) The rest of the engine: the crankshaft, bearings, camshaft, lifters, connecting rods and pistons are only cooled by engine oil.

so, do we have one already? Is it better to buy an Engine oil cooler even my car is N/A. I just want to have a longer engine somehow...

if ever for how easy is the installation of an aftermarket engine oil cooler for an RSX, any DIY for this?

Im a noob about this

#4 · (Edited)
the purpose of oil cooling systems is for a turbo vehicle. the engines oil also circulates throught the turbo housing where it picks up very large amounts of heat. it is not needed really for any other application. you want you oil to be warm, at cooler temperaters the viscosity changes and it doesnt lubricate as well.

ps spelling>me and these shitty work computers run IE and im lost without firefox spell check lol

#9 ·
I imagine under race conditions, n/a or turbo, you can benefit from some oil cooling. On daily driving, an oil cooler may not be beneficial or even detrimental.

What they should do is have some thermostat to open up the lines to the oil cooler core once a certain temperature has been met. However, I think the point of an oil cooler is for race conditions so... *shrugs*

#5 ·
The Type S does have a rudimentary oil warmer/cooler.

If you are concerned about oil temps, the easiest way to deal with it is to use synthetic oil as it withstands higher temps better than dino oil.

Other than that I wouldn't deem it neccessary unless you are going to be regularly beating the shit out of your car at the track for extended periods of time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.