Newbie Nos Question? - Club RSX Message Board
Go Back   Club RSX Message Board > PERFORMANCE BASICS RSX > Nitrous Oxide RSX
Use the same user name on Club RSX, Club EP3, and Club ILX!

Old 04-06-2002, 09:53 PM   #1
RSXRATED

Newbie Nos Question?

I have never considered Nitrous of my car and don't no anything about it . After reading many posts i have decided to look into the possiblity of installing a N.O.S . But i have many Questions that i have to rely on YOU the Smart , Knowlegible people of this sight.( ok enough a$$ kissing) I live in vermont where winters can be 20 Below 0 and summers can be in the high 90s. Will this be Safe to run Year round.( Obviously i would run NOS in snow ) Is their anything one should buy to help insure the Car ( for lack of a better word) Health? This is a start . Thanks in Advance . Peace

Last edited by RSXRATED; 04-06-2002 at 10:16 PM..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2002, 12:43 PM   #2
Alpha Zero
JLA Bitches!

Alpha Zero has a clean start Alpha Zero has a clean start Alpha Zero has a clean start Alpha Zero has a clean start
Re: Newbie Nos Question?

Quote:
Originally posted by RSXRATED
I have never considered Nitrous of my car and don't no anything about it . After reading many posts i have decided to look into the possiblity of installing a N.O.S . But i have many Questions that i have to rely on YOU the Smart , Knowlegible people of this sight.( ok enough a$$ kissing) I live in vermont where winters can be 20 Below 0 and summers can be in the high 90s. Will this be Safe to run Year round.( Obviously i would run NOS in snow ) Is their anything one should buy to help insure the Car ( for lack of a better word) Health? This is a start . Thanks in Advance . Peace
While low temperatures don't really do anything to harm the n2o system, I would recommend to get a bottle heater to keep the system running good even with cold weather. As for heat. It has to get pretty damn hot for the bottle to let go. A suggestion would be to get a blow down tube, so that if it does get too hot while you are parked somewhere, it will just let out the pressure. Would be a lot better than coming back to a blown trunk. It's highly unlikely though, as it does take a lot of heat in order to get the bottle pressure high enough. If you are concerned though, that is one step.

^Punch^
Alpha Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2002, 04:17 PM   #3
epilover

blow down tube is unecessary. the bottle comes with a pressure safety valve. if temperatures get too high, the disc in the valve blows and the contents of the tank empty out. all a blow down tube does is direct the flow to the location of your choice,.

and yea, a bottle heater is a must. when i had my nos kit, even when it was 70 degrees out i had to use the heater to get it to 1000psi. plus, as the bottle empties, the bottle heater will keep the psi up for you.

here's what i would recomend:
NOS kit
NOS PSI Gauge
Autometer Air/Fuel Ratio Gauge
NOS Bottle Heater

the air/fuel gauges isn't necessary, but it's good peice of mind and it doesn't cost much (i think around $50 or so). psi gauge is very important. the nitrous psi you are running at is basically the horsepower you get from the NOS.

driving in low temperatures isn't anything to worry about. however, keep in mind, in very hot weather, wether you have nitrous or not, you car can overheat by driving it very hard, and nitrous will make your engine work a bit harder obviously, so don't go nuts.

Old 04-08-2002, 08:34 PM   #4
Alpha Zero
JLA Bitches!

Alpha Zero has a clean start Alpha Zero has a clean start Alpha Zero has a clean start Alpha Zero has a clean start
Quote:
Originally posted by epilover
blow down tube is unecessary. the bottle comes with a pressure safety valve. if temperatures get too high, the disc in the valve blows and the contents of the tank empty out. all a blow down tube does is direct the flow to the location of your choice,.
Yeah, that's true, but this isn't medical nitrous we are talking about. This shit is lethal. Small amounts of it inhaled can be fatal. Would you rather have it sitting in your car, or released outside the car.

^Punch^
Old 04-08-2002, 08:41 PM   #5
epilover

oh yea, true. my last car had a trunk though so i didn't worry about it, but i guess u have to with the rsx.
Old 04-08-2002, 08:56 PM   #6
Alpha Zero
JLA Bitches!

Quote:
oh yea, true. my last car had a trunk though so i didn't worry about it, but i guess u have to with the rsx.
Yeah, that shit happened in my Civic HB. Not fun at all. The bottle didn't blow, but the line wasn't on tight enough, and as the pressure went up, it started leaking faster.

^Punch^
Old 04-09-2002, 12:37 AM   #7
epilover

yea, i really don't like the fact that street nitrous has hydrogen sulfide in it. i mean, if someone wants to get high off nitrous badly enough, they can go to a store and buy whip cream or whip cream chargers, also known as whippits. the thought of my nitrous tank emptying hydrogen sulfide into my car (or even into the atmosphere) bothers me, considering it is LETHAL. i'd much rather get high in a bottle accident than die, sheesh. and at least if it's regular nitrous, u can tell it's messin with your head, so you get out of the car and let it disperse. long story short, substance abuse deterrent in those bottles is just dangerous.

the thing that worries me about blow down tubes. i mean, 99.9% of the time they work like they should, but there was that one guy (he has a website somewhere) who left his bottle heater on, and his blow down tube was installed incorrectly. his bottle exploded and ripped apart his car and garage.
Old 04-09-2002, 03:30 PM   #8
Dehalorespire

Dehalorespire is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Quote:
yea, i really don't like the fact that street nitrous has hydrogen sulfide in it. i mean, if someone wants to get high off nitrous badly enough, they can go to a store and buy whip cream or whip cream chargers, also known as whippits. the thought of my nitrous tank emptying hydrogen sulfide into my car (or even into the atmosphere) bothers me, considering it is LETHAL. i'd much rather get high in a bottle accident than die, sheesh. and at least if it's regular nitrous, u can tell it's messin with your head, so you get out of the car and let it disperse. long story short, substance abuse deterrent in those bottles is just dangerous.
Not only as a substance abuse deterrent, but also a chemical marker. You can't smell nitrous very well. However, the olfactory system is estremely sensitive to H2S. If there is a leak, you will know it long before the nitrous is dangerous. If not, you may doze off before knowing what hit you.

BTW, the concentrations of sulfide added are far from toxic. It is just enough to give a terrible taste to the nitrous. It will deter use, not kill whoever is doing whippits.
Dehalorespire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2002, 07:50 PM   #9
epilover

oh really? kew, i didn't know it was a very small amount. that's different then.
Old 04-09-2002, 09:03 PM   #10
Alpha Zero
JLA Bitches!

Quote:
Originally posted by Dehalorespire
BTW, the concentrations of sulfide added are far from toxic. It is just enough to give a terrible taste to the nitrous. It will deter use, not kill whoever is doing whippits.
Not true. I'm not sure how it differs from here and there, but in California (at least where I used to buy my nitrous), that shit is lethal. Inhaling a little isn't going to kill you, but enough of it will. I'm sure stupid little kids aren't going to worry about bad tasting n2o. If it gets them high, they will inhale it.

^Punch^
Old 04-10-2002, 01:14 PM   #11
Dehalorespire

Quote:
Originally posted by Alpha Zero

Not true. I'm not sure how it differs from here and there, but in California (at least where I used to buy my nitrous), that shit is lethal. Inhaling a little isn't going to kill you, but enough of it will. I'm sure stupid little kids aren't going to worry about bad tasting n2o. If it gets them high, they will inhale it.
Ok ok, so you want to mince words, eh? Enough of ANYTHING will kill you. In fact, the nitrous will kill you if you inhale enough of it.

Anyhow, the concentrations of nitrous would knock you out long before the sulfide became acutely toxic. Death will occur from sulfide after exposure above about 1000 parts per million, far above what is in a automotive grade nitrous tank. The point of the sulfide is that you could never huff enough of it w/o severe irritation to your sinuses, bleeding from your eyes and painful breathing; even if you could even postpone the onset of delerium from the nitrous itself and not drop the tank. Sulfide is just a deterrant, nothing else.

I would agree that it is letahl; if you strap the tank to your face (so that you dont drop it when you pass out from the nitrous) and keep inhaling past all of the painful symptoms of sulfide toxicity, eventually the sulfide will bind enough of the iron in your hemoglobin that you cannot get oxygen and you will destroy you brain stem....and die. But some teenager huffin away will drop that tank long before it becomes a big problem for his brain.
Old 04-10-2002, 01:39 PM   #12
Alpha Zero
JLA Bitches!

I have no idea of how to sniff n2o, so I'm not going to go into it, but do you really have to carry that bottle in order to abuse it?

^Punch^
Old 04-10-2002, 02:26 PM   #13
Dehalorespire

Quote:
I have no idea of how to sniff n2o, so I'm not going to go into it, but do you really have to carry that bottle in order to abuse it?
No, im sure you dont have to carry it. You could fill a baloon, for example. But, my point is that you will puke your face off before it gets to a concentration that would seriously endanger the (ab)user's life; unless the user could not escape from the gas. Like was trapped in a closet with an open tank, or strapped a hose to his/her face.

The warnings on the tank are real, because sulfide IS toxic and lethal; But, from the abusers standpoint, it would be hard to get to a toxic levels unless you are on a suicide mission.

In Brazil, they use huge amounts of ethanol. Anywhere from 25-90%. They began to have problems with kids, adults, bums, whoever sitting down at a pump for a quick drink. So, the government mandated fowl tasing (but ultimately toxic) additives such as sulfide and methanol. People would drink, then immediately puke and never do it again. Problem solved.

Speaking of...There was a newspaper article out of some po-dunk town in Nebraska in which two young teenage girls were arrested for stealing lawnmowers all over their neighborhood. Why? Because they were addicted to huffing, and were too embarassed to buy gasoline at a store. So, they stole mowers to keep up their huffing addiction. LMFAO! Peace.
Old 04-10-2002, 02:35 PM   #14
Alpha Zero
JLA Bitches!

Interesting. Good to know. =)

I'm glad I'm one of those clean people who don't do drugs.

^Punch^
Old 04-10-2002, 03:54 PM   #15
Dehalorespire

Actually, Im oposed to adding the sulfide to nitrous. Although it is inert w.r.t nitrous, but is extremely reactive with oxygen and will scavenge oxygen until it is completely oxidized under intake conditions. Or, if it is not completely gone before the compresion stroke, it will do so under compression. So, in short, it will reduce oxygen to water and form elemental sulfur, a solid. Either in you intake or cylindar. I have no evidence to back this up, however, just common sense chemistry.

As we discussed, it is a rather small amount of sulfide, but do you really want any less oxygen available, much less a solid precipitating in your cylindars? Take the sulfide out of our N2O! I say, let the huffers make themselves retarded. It is their choice, their mistake and ultimately, it is a direct application of Darwin. Bye bye huffers!
Old 04-25-2002, 02:10 PM   #16
RedCelica
^^^given slave name

RedCelica is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
ever seen that movie Kids...they do whippits in that...nasty stuff so i've heard
s2kca now on Google+
s2kca on facebook
RedCelica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2002, 09:43 AM   #17
QuickSilver22

Then you need to huff on a can and see what its all about. Just makes you spin for a minute.
Old 05-18-2002, 02:43 AM   #18
preddog
CO-Driver below

preddog is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Its always funny how things get off track.
preddog is offline   Reply With Quote