Running a 75 wet shot misfire?? - Club RSX Message Board
Go Back   Club RSX Message Board > PERFORMANCE BASICS RSX > Nitrous Oxide RSX
Use the same user name on Club RSX, Club EP3, and Club ILX!

Old 11-01-2011, 10:56 PM   #1
rsxmike22

rsxmike22 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx rsxmike22 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx rsxmike22 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx rsxmike22 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx rsxmike22 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx rsxmike22 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx rsxmike22 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx rsxmike22 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Running a 75 wet shot misfire??

I'm running a 75 wet shot in my rsx-s with NGK IRIDIUM IX Spark Plugs BKR8EIX, and when i spray pulls hard to 6k and then just won't go over 6k and throws a misfire code. Think the plugs are the issue?
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2011, 09:05 AM   #2
rsxmike22

rsxmike22 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx rsxmike22 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx rsxmike22 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx rsxmike22 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx rsxmike22 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx rsxmike22 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx rsxmike22 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx rsxmike22 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Anyone??
Old 11-02-2011, 10:50 AM   #3
Bflaker
Nikon & Nitrous Crew

Bflaker is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Unless the electrode or ground strap broke off one of them, they should be fine. Have you checked them yet? Compression test?

Old 11-02-2011, 10:52 AM   #4
rsxmike22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bflaker View Post
Unless the electrode or ground strap broke off one of them, they should be fine. Have you checked them yet? Compression test?
Plugs are brand new, think the gap is too big maybe? I didn't gap them. And compression tested fine.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:56 AM   #5
Bflaker
Nikon & Nitrous Crew

They come pre-gapped and it's not recommended to gap them because the electrode is fragile. I'm running the same plugs with a bigger shot and haven't had any problems.

If the plugs look ok, and the compression tests good it could be a faulty coil pack.
Old 11-02-2011, 11:02 AM   #6
rsxmike22

Quote:
They come pre-gapped and it's not recommended to gap them because the electrode is fragile. I'm running the same plugs with a bigger shot and haven't had any problems.

If the plugs look ok, and the compression tests good it could be a faulty coil pack.
I'm gonna try switching to a copper core plug, and lowering the gap today. If still a problem gonna have to try some coil packs. What's your setup?
Old 11-02-2011, 12:16 PM   #7
Bflaker
Nikon & Nitrous Crew

Switching to copper plugs is not going to help you. So don't waste your time. Something else is causing the misfire. I dyno'd 312whp on a DynoJet with a total shot of 130bhp(105whp).

What mods are you running and how are you doing your tuning?
Old 11-02-2011, 01:08 PM   #8
rsxmike22

Quote:
Switching to copper plugs is not going to help you. So don't waste your time. Something else is causing the misfire. I dyno'd 312whp on a DynoJet with a total shot of 130bhp(105whp).

Running dc race header, greddy exhaust, aem v2 intake, and hondata reflash. Another think is the temp sensor code came up. I'm thinking maybe the nitrous is messing with that sensor but would that cause cause the problem?
Old 11-02-2011, 09:23 PM   #9
rsxmike22

Quote:

Update: Switched to a 32 jet which is around 55hp and ngk v-power plugs and no issues
Old 11-02-2011, 10:32 PM   #10
Bflaker
Nikon & Nitrous Crew

No wonder you're having problems. The reflash adds timing. I sprayed a wet 75shot before I got Kpro, but it was on stock timing. The reason your car wouldn't go above 6000rpms was because it was detonating. You're lucky you didn't blow up your car. If I was you, I would not even spray the 55shot with your current setup. Its a known fact that a race header with the reflash will lean the car out toooo much. Do you have a wideband in the car?
Old 11-02-2011, 10:38 PM   #11
Bflaker
Nikon & Nitrous Crew

In regards to the temp sensor code....please tell me you have the nozzle after the sensor and before the throttle body. And make sure the nozzle is pointed the right way. Lol
Old 11-02-2011, 11:12 PM   #12
rsxmike22

Quote:
In regards to the temp sensor code....please tell me you have the nozzle after the sensor and before the throttle body. And make sure the nozzle is pointed the right way. Lol
Lol it's all good now, the sensor may have been a little loose.
Old 11-02-2011, 11:14 PM   #13
rsxmike22

Quote:
No wonder you're having problems. The reflash adds timing. I sprayed a wet 75shot before I got Kpro, but it was on stock timing. The reason your car wouldn't go above 6000rpms was because it was detonating. You're lucky you didn't blow up your car. If I was you, I would not even spray the 55shot with your current setup. Its a known fact that a race header with the reflash will lean the car out toooo much. Do you have a wideband in the car?
Damn man, and no wideband. So I should round up a stock ecu ?
Old 11-02-2011, 11:41 PM   #14
Dickbowlmidz
Still here

Dickbowlmidz is a super person....that needs to get out more Dickbowlmidz is a super person....that needs to get out more Dickbowlmidz is a super person....that needs to get out more Dickbowlmidz is a super person....that needs to get out more Dickbowlmidz is a super person....that needs to get out more Dickbowlmidz is a super person....that needs to get out more
Dickbowlmidz is a super person....that needs to get out more Dickbowlmidz is a super person....that needs to get out more Dickbowlmidz is a super person....that needs to get out more Dickbowlmidz is a super person....that needs to get out more Dickbowlmidz is a super person....that needs to get out more Dickbowlmidz is a super person....that needs to get out more Dickbowlmidz is a super person....that needs to get out more Dickbowlmidz is a super person....that needs to get out more Dickbowlmidz is a super person....that needs to get out more Dickbowlmidz is a super person....that needs to get out more Dickbowlmidz is a super person....that needs to get out more Dickbowlmidz is a super person....that needs to get out more Dickbowlmidz is a super person....that needs to get out more Dickbowlmidz is a super person....that needs to get out more Dickbowlmidz is a super person....that needs to get out more Dickbowlmidz is a super person....that needs to get out more Dickbowlmidz is a super person....that needs to get out more Dickbowlmidz is a super person....that needs to get out more
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsxmike22 View Post
you should really invest in kpro
Old 11-03-2011, 06:20 AM   #15
Bflaker
Nikon & Nitrous Crew

Quote:
I would just upgrade to Kpro. Since you already have the reflash it will be half price. I would definitely not be spraying with the reflash though. If I remember correctly, the reflash adds 2-3 degrees of timing.
Old 11-03-2011, 07:05 AM   #16
rsxmike22

Quote:
I would just upgrade to Kpro. Since you already have the reflash it will be half price. I would definitely not be spraying with the reflash though. If I remember correctly, the reflash adds 2-3 degrees of timing.
I'm saving up now for it, I got the reflash late so it's still $800 for the upgrade,
Old 11-03-2011, 09:11 AM   #17
sofa_king_clean
Master Member

sofa_king_clean is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Quote:
If its a wet shot then it's ok...wet adds fuel n nitrous together and it's suppose to b safer??
I spool you lose crew member #1
http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread...679&highlight=
03 RSX-S Satin Black
Mugen/Aspec/typeR/FullRace/Work
sofa_king_clean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 09:36 AM   #18
Bflaker
Nikon & Nitrous Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlK TyPe R View Post
If its a wet shot then it's ok...wet adds fuel n nitrous together and it's suppose to b safer??

The only way to run nitrous on our cars without K-Pro IS a wet shot. The easiest and safest way to run nitrous on our cars WITH K-Pro is a dry shot. I've sprayed both types of setups on my car.

That's not what his problem is though. When you spray nitrous you are supposed to retard the timing a couple of degrees for every 75-100hp you are spraying. The same way a turbo or supercharged car has to reduce it's timing. Since he is running the reflash, he actually has INCREASED timing. That is very bad with nitrous and will cause detonation(pre-ignition).

The other problem is that the reflash leans the car out to gain power and Hondata specifically states on their website that it will lean it too much when combined with a race header. Yes the wet shot sprays it's own fuel, but that has nothing to do with the car already running lean from his current mods. Combine the lean a/f's with the added timing and that's why he couldn't rev past 6000rpms when spraying....because it was detonating. When he dropped the shot down to a smaller size, it only helped because it was less stress on the motor.

He has 2 options:

1. Get a stock ecu and spray no more than a 75shot WET.
2. Get K-Pro so he can retard timing and tune his A/F's. Then he can spray big boy shots, i.e. 100+shot.
Old 11-03-2011, 03:52 PM   #19
BluDC5

BluDC5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx BluDC5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx BluDC5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx BluDC5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx BluDC5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx BluDC5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx BluDC5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx BluDC5 is a jewel in the rough of c-rsx
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlK TyPe R View Post

BluDC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 05:48 PM   #20
JPSlick
Master Member

JPSlick is cool, not as cool as some though JPSlick is cool, not as cool as some though JPSlick is cool, not as cool as some though JPSlick is cool, not as cool as some though JPSlick is cool, not as cool as some though JPSlick is cool, not as cool as some though JPSlick is cool, not as cool as some though JPSlick is cool, not as cool as some though JPSlick is cool, not as cool as some though JPSlick is cool, not as cool as some though JPSlick is cool, not as cool as some though JPSlick is cool, not as cool as some though JPSlick is cool, not as cool as some though
Quote:
Originally Posted by bflaker View Post

the only way to run nitrous on our cars without k-pro is a wet shot. The easiest and safest way to run nitrous on our cars with k-pro is a dry shot. I've sprayed both types of setups on my car.

That's not what his problem is though. When you spray nitrous you are supposed to retard the timing a couple of degrees for every 75-100hp you are spraying. The same way a turbo or supercharged car has to reduce it's timing. Since he is running the reflash, he actually has increased timing. That is very bad with nitrous and will cause detonation(pre-ignition).

The other problem is that the reflash leans the car out to gain power and hondata specifically states on their website that it will lean it too much when combined with a race header. Yes the wet shot sprays it's own fuel, but that has nothing to do with the car already running lean from his current mods. Combine the lean a/f's with the added timing and that's why he couldn't rev past 6000rpms when spraying....because it was detonating. When he dropped the shot down to a smaller size, it only helped because it was less stress on the motor.

He has 2 options:

1. Get a stock ecu and spray no more than a 75shot wet.
2. Get k-pro so he can retard timing and tune his a/f's. Then he can spray big boy shots, i.e. 100+shot.
+1
My Youtube Video Channel
JPSlick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 07:57 PM   #21
sofa_king_clean
Master Member

sofa_king_clean is an unknown quantity on c-rsx
Well I was on a stock ecu...
I spool you lose crew member #1
http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread...679&highlight=
03 RSX-S Satin Black
Mugen/Aspec/typeR/FullRace/Work
sofa_king_clean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 12:01 AM   #22
rsxmike22

Can the dealer flash my ecu back to stock???

Quote:

The only way to run nitrous on our cars without K-Pro IS a wet shot. The easiest and safest way to run nitrous on our cars WITH K-Pro is a dry shot. I've sprayed both types of setups on my car.

That's not what his problem is though. When you spray nitrous you are supposed to retard the timing a couple of degrees for every 75-100hp you are spraying. The same way a turbo or supercharged car has to reduce it's timing. Since he is running the reflash, he actually has INCREASED timing. That is very bad with nitrous and will cause detonation(pre-ignition).

The other problem is that the reflash leans the car out to gain power and Hondata specifically states on their website that it will lean it too much when combined with a race header. Yes the wet shot sprays it's own fuel, but that has nothing to do with the car already running lean from his current mods. Combine the lean a/f's with the added timing and that's why he couldn't rev past 6000rpms when spraying....because it was detonating. When he dropped the shot down to a smaller size, it only helped because it was less stress on the motor.

He has 2 options:

1. Get a stock ecu and spray no more than a 75shot WET.
2. Get K-Pro so he can retard timing and tune his A/F's. Then he can spray big boy shots, i.e. 100+shot.
Old 11-04-2011, 06:51 PM   #23
rsxmike22

Anyone know?

Quote:
Old 11-04-2011, 07:02 PM   #24
F-BOM
Resident hater

F-BOM is cool, not as cool as some though F-BOM is cool, not as cool as some though F-BOM is cool, not as cool as some though F-BOM is cool, not as cool as some though F-BOM is cool, not as cool as some though F-BOM is cool, not as cool as some though F-BOM is cool, not as cool as some though F-BOM is cool, not as cool as some though F-BOM is cool, not as cool as some though F-BOM is cool, not as cool as some though F-BOM is cool, not as cool as some though F-BOM is cool, not as cool as some though
Quote:
dont think so. probably have to send it back to hondata.
F-BOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 01:49 PM   #25
Bflaker
Nikon & Nitrous Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by F-BOM View Post
dont think so. probably have to send it back to hondata.
X2

And if he does that, he might as well upgrade to K-Pro. His best option right now is to stop spraying the nitrous and save up for K-Pro.